Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No mods allowed in GW2?

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by bookworm438

I think supporting any type of mod, including a UI mod, goes against ArenaNet's design philosophy. Remember, you're not suppose to be focused on the UI. You are suppose to be focused on the game. If you are staring at the UI constantly, then you are doing something wrong.

As for something like a cooldown mod, I think this is what will separate the good and great players. The great players will know when the cooldown on their skills are up, and know exactly when and how to use their skills.

I prefer only decisions to be what seperate good from great players rather than letting memorizing your opponents cooldown timers to be important as well. 

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

That depends on what the key intended mechanics are. If a main intended mechanic in a dungeon is to have a very dark environment devoid of light, a mod that would magnify the little light in there so that you could see everything clearly, would go against the main intended mechanic.

If, however, the most important mechanic in a certain boss fight is to have good reflexes while good memory isn't supposed to be important, then a mod that displays in text the attacks a boss does depending on their animation is not game-breaking. 

True. But if that mod makes content substntially easier for those that have it versus those that don't, it's the sort of thing I don't want to see.  

It is something that I imagine mods would introduce rather quickly. Everything that a mod can do, developers can do themselves, but it is a matter of time,workload and imagination.

Granted. Althoguh I'd rather the devs just listen to player concerns about such things and implement them in a timely fashion, rather than having to rely on third parties to do it for them.  But I wouldn't be opposed to mods that do this.

"Necessary" is yet another word that can be used in a subjective context. "Necessary for what?" is a question of relevance. Depending on that "what" lots of things can be considered necessary or unnecessary. 

Can you play the game without it? can you manage content without it? It's unnecessary. I get where you're going about subjective definitions, but I am talking solely from a gameplay standard.

For starters, ability to do a lot of "fluff" changes, if enough people consider it to be "fun". Then, depending of which game mechanics developers want to be important, other types of mods may be possible. For instance, if they want memorizing animations to be a key aspect of PvP, then I would not want mods that automatically display in text what different animations are on the screen.  

I can get behind fluff. I have nothing against that.And I have to agree with you about PvP. I don't want mods giving players an edge, especially in a game where competitve PvP is one of the bigger facets of gameplay.

If Anet can allow non-game impacting "fluff" mods and such WITHOUT anything that can change gameplay itself, I'm all for it. Experience has shown with other games that never happens.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I hope they don't ever allow mods.

The game is fine as it is, there is no need for them. You only have/need 10 buttons at a time and all the info is onscreen for you already.

I see no issue whatsoever.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

At competitive levels, you are supposed to play gw2 with minimal UI, mastering and memorizing the animations. Mods will ruin this competitive feel. If you want mods, GW2 is not for you. 

Why would you even want mods, wth.. Anet is giving you the chance to play the game not the UI and people still cry about mods...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Butregenyo

At competitive levels, you are supposed to play gw2 with minimal UI, mastering and memorizing the animations. Mods will ruin this competitive feel. If you want mods, GW2 is not for you. 

Why would you even want mods, wth.. Anet is giving you the chance to play the game not the UI and people still cry about mods...

It is damned if you do - damned if you don't.

I hope there will be no mods allowed.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

NO, and I'm actually happy about this.

I'm kinda sick of MMOs crammed full of macro addons, DPS meters, and gearscore systems. Even though this is a skill based game, people would still make them. And idiots would still find a way to make them necessary. They already have enough combat testing mechanics in the pvp island, so the only mod I could see being even remotely useful to this game would be UI tweaks.

However, I could live w/ out a tweaked UI if it'll keep all the other crap out that will cheapen the game.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

First of all those are add-ons not mods. 

Mods are entirally diffrent things, but I won't argue semantics too much.

Anyway no add-ons /mods for GW2 please.

Actually I don't like all those shit in mmorpg's.   (in single player games mods providing additional content or even whole new games are very welocme though).

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

This is my opinion

Mods are for the weak.

PvE, Raiding, PvP, Dungeons were all done, and ran befor mods got into MMO's.

No one needs mods, mods were made for single player games.

Mods are the reason they keep making MMO's to easy, and will keep making MMO's easier.

I hope they dont add mods- But I can accept basic UI mods ( not including macros, macros are lame as hell) like music mods, UI layout Mods, GCD UI timer mods ect, anything thats cosmetic and not changing how the game works. 

Example: Any kind of mod state counter- DPS,Aggro, Stat reveal, and so on-

If your good at playing your character you dont and shouldnt need these. Counter mods show information that should not be seen, and by knowing these numbers makes the game so much easier, it takes fun away.

The above is my opinion, and only a opinion.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by fenistil

First of all those are add-ons not mods. 

Mods are entirally diffrent things, but I won't argue semantics too much.

Anyway no add-ons /mods for GW2 please.

Actually I don't like all those shit in mmorpg's.   (in single player games mods providing additional content or even whole new games are very welocme though).

add-ons are just a special class of mods.

Mods are call mods because its in their nature to MODIFY the game.

So MODIFY-IFY=MOD and the plural form of MOD is MODS.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by bookworm438

I think supporting any type of mod, including a UI mod, goes against ArenaNet's design philosophy. Remember, you're not suppose to be focused on the UI. You are suppose to be focused on the game. If you are staring at the UI constantly, then you are doing something wrong.

As for something like a cooldown mod, I think this is what will separate the good and great players. The great players will know when the cooldown on their skills are up, and know exactly when and how to use their skills.

I prefer only decisions to be what seperate good from great players rather than letting memorizing your opponents cooldown timers to be important as well. 

To me, learning the in's and out's of the game makes a good player great. Knowing that "OK, player X just used Chaos Storm, I've got x second before it's off of cooldown". Except I think it'll end up going further, and people this time will have to memorize casting animations to know whether a big skill is being cast or not.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Why can't the people that requires mods to compete just get better at playing the game without them? lol.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by Alot
    Scamboxes? Wutwut? Care to explain?

Charging a buck fifty for a key to open a box with a random piece of crap in it. It's a common pattern in horrible F2P games - and has recently been adopted by some of the higher profile sub-to-F2P conversions (LOTRO, STO) - but I've never seen it done in a AAA title before.

As much as I do like the game those key's are my biggest gripe with what I've seen so far.

On the topic of mod's No Thank you.....

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I have a friend that asked me about mods for GW2, and I replied in a very direct and easy to understand way that would get me banned on this site.  Basically it boils down to this. Mods are created to resolve a players ineptitude to play the game the way it was intended, or the developers ineptitude to make the game the way it should have been done.  If a  crook is going to take advantage of someone, they would most likely attack the inept, so it makes sense that mods are a very dangerous tool to use.  I then said something about him,   and being inept,  and having his account stolen.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Charging a buck fifty for a key to open a box with a random piece of crap in it. It's a common pattern in horrible F2P games - and has recently been adopted by some of the higher profile sub-to-F2P conversions (LOTRO, STO) - but I've never seen it done in a AAA title before.

As much as I do like the game those key's are my biggest gripe with what I've seen so far.

Why then? The boxes only contain fluff and marginally useful crap, nothing really mandatory to play the game.

The fact that you can convert gems to gold would be way more "overpowered" than those boxes to be honest, even if I don't mind it either since it will most likely get us rid of the gold farmer spam.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

No Mods.

No Macros.

Thanks!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

mods are nice until you are required to use them to compete or have success, that is when i start not like them anymore.

its more convenient to not have to worry about finding all the best mods on third party websites that sometimes have keyloggers and installing them to have an even playing field against other players, especially in a pvp-centric game like GW2

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by saurus123

NO

you want mods go play WoW

Oh great, is this what general chat will look like? "Go back to WoW".../sigh :-(

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by DaezAster

Not a fan of the mystic keys at all either. At least the stuff you get from the boxes are pretty much meh so no loss I suppose, I just don't like the idea of it.

As far as mods is concern. The biggest reason why they don't allow it is so there is no advantage gained by it. The idea of pvp that ArenaNet wants is a completely even ground to start on. So it is up to the player themselves to determine the outcome of a pvp match and not an outside element such as gear imbalance or player modifcations making it easier for one player. Now whether you agree to their philosophy is up to you. I like it how they have it but I recognize that not everyone will.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

There was never much demand for them in the original GW and there really isn't any here. If there is enough demand, they will add it later. Making a moddable API is very demanding and even WoW's was very very basic when it first released. They have talked about setting up different gear sets/skill sets/ect though, so that should go in at some point soon after launch I would imagine. 

Personally, other then gear sets, I don't really see a need to mod the UI. The thing about the GW2 UI is that the art team put as much work into it as other parts of the game, so I doubt ArenaNet would be willing to throw that all away so quickly. I would expect more UI customization, but that is about it. 

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

If it has as much UI customization as GW has then I will be happy.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by baphamet

mods are nice until you are required to use them to compete or have success, that is when i start not like them anymore.

its more convenient to not have to worry about finding all the best mods on third party websites that sometimes have keyloggers and installing them to have an even playing field against other players, especially in a pvp-centric game like GW2

This is what I will never understand.  If you don't want to use certain mods, don't use them.  The only way anyone is going to know that you're not using mods is if you screw up repeatedly, in which case you probably needed them after all.

There is absolutely no good reason why anyone should say the game doesn't need add-on support.  Add-on support would be yet another feature and selling point for the game.  You would never tell Anet the game doesn't need new content because all else equal, more is better, so don't say that the game doesn't need add-ons. The same logic applies here.  DEs, hearts, level scaling, mounts, add-ons, the more the better.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

This is what I will never understand.  If you don't want to use certain mods, don't use them.

That kind of reasonning is, with all due respect, simplistic.

When specific addons greatly affect gameplay, they will become mandatory to play. Not only that, but as seen in WoW, the developers will start to create content taking those addons into account, so if you don't use them, you are at a huge disadvantage.

"Don't like it, don't use it" just doesn't work for addons in a MMORPG.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

This is what I will never understand.  If you don't want to use certain mods, don't use them.

That kind of reasonning is, with all due respect, simplistic.

When specific addons greatly affect gameplay, they will become mandatory to play. Not only that, but as seen in WoW, the developers will start to create content taking those addons into account, so if you don't use them, you are at a huge disadvantage.

"Don't like it, don't use it" just doesn't work for addons in a MMORPG.

So you are admitting that you're a poor player who has to use deadly boss mods to make it through a WoW raid encounter?

Of course you're at a disadvantage if you don't use the add-ons, but the entire point for not using add-ons is to make the game more difficult.  I'm not sure what you're complaining about.  If you're failing repeatedly without said add-on, perhaps you're just not as skilled as you thought you were.

So you are admitting that you're a poor player who has to use deadly boss mods to make it through a WoW raid encounter?

Of course you're at a disadvantage if you don't use the add-ons, but the entire point for not using add-ons is to make the game more difficult.  I'm not sure what you're complaining about.  If you're failing repeatedly without said add-on, perhaps you're just not as skilled as you thought you were.

Of course, this was to be expected... if you don't think like I do, you must be just bad at the game.

Your reasonning is flawed in a competitive environment like raiding (where you are not alone, but with 25 other persons) or PvP. If you raid with 24 people using an addon and you refuse to use it, you're holding your group back. If you are just a little bit social, you can't do that, and if your raid/guild leader is any good, he won't tolerate it either, and it's normal. And in PvP, it's even worse... who wants to fight with a huge disadvantage compared to the guy who has an addon telling him everything the enemy is doing?

I can accept that you like addons, that you would like some in GW2 (not gonna happen, but I still respect your opinion), but the "don't like them? don't use them" argument is pure nonsense when it comes to addons. For addons, the motto is rather "use them, or be seriously gimped".

Tell me, would you go fight without armor? Without a weapon? Fighting without addons in an addon centric game is exactly the same.

It's a slippery slope, once you started to accept them, you can't go back, and I'm confident ANet will NEVER accept them in their game anyway, so... *shrug* :)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Of course, this was to be expected... if you don't think like I do, you must be just bad at the game.

Your reasonning is flawed in a competitive environment like raiding (where you are not alone, but with 25 other persons) or PvP. If you raid with 24 people using an addon and you refuse to use it, you're holding your group back. If you are just a little bit social, you can't do that, and if your raid/guild leader is any good, he won't tolerate it either, and it's normal. And in PvP, it's even worse... who wants to fight with a huge disadvantage compared to the guy who has an addon telling him everything the enemy is doing?

I can accept that you like addons, that you would like some in GW2 (not gonna happen, but I still respect your opinion), but the "don't like them? don't use them" argument is pure nonsense when it comes to addons. For addons, the motto is rather "use them, or be seriously gimped".

Tell me, would you go fight without armor? Without a weapon? Fighting without addons in an addon centric game is exactly the same.

It's a slippery slope, once you started to accept them, you can't go back, and I'm confident ANet will NEVER accept them in their game anyway, so... *shrug* :)

Just wanted to add, that WoW developers themselves admitted they had to start tuning encounters with use of mods in mind at certain point because otherwise they weren't able to provide challenge at all due to how addo-ons like DBM and threat metters trivilized certain mechanics.

Let's not even mention the idiocy that was deCurse back in early vanilla that automated the whole dispelling process...