Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes the hype different this time around?

Comments

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by dageeza
    Originally posted by BadSpock

What makes the hype different?

Keeping promises.

We've played the game - some of us quite a lot, everything Anet said they were going to give us, everything they showed us, we've seen and tested and played.

No hype CGI trailers, no missing or tacked on features....

When they hype is generated by the media who played the game and the players who played the game, it's so much different then hype generated by the developer who hasn't let anyone play the game (except under very controlled conditions).

^THIS^

Because this game not only lives up to anets manifesto it exceeds it which justifies the players hype as well...

The excitement for this game is very real....

Problem is, people that dont believe you will just say that you are proving them right about the hype.  As a great man once said, "Many of the truths we cling to depends on our point of view".

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by DJJazzy
    Originally posted by BigRock411

Still looking for where all this "hype" is outside of sites dedicated to MMORPGs. Untill I see it, I call troll bs. 

Would you consider GW2 to be under-hyped?

I don't like the word hype. Anyway, among mmorpg fans then yeah GW2 is certainly well known.

Outside of mmorpg players and sites like this one, it really isn't that known of a game.

And that is the point. It is like saying Andrew Luck is over hyped in Indy. As a Packer fan I don't hear much about him, and if you don't follow the NFL you have no clue WHO he is.. but in one little market he is all that is talked about.

Are you kidding?  GW2 is frequently on the front page of Youtube because of people such as the Yogscast covering it.  It has also been all over Reddit, there's even a sub forum for it.

There is a student forum I frequent and even that site, a site which is usually filled with party boy fools who don't know what an MMO is has had threads about GW2.

You can go to other game websites like SWTOR and Archeage, there's people there making threads about how much better GW2 is.

I could go on and on

Youtube front page adjusts to what you have been watching. When my daughter forgets to log out of youtube on the laptop, I see nothing about GW2 (and a bunch about "warrior cats"). It is YOUR fault that you have GW2 on yourtube.

As for reddit.. unsubsribe to /r/guildwars2 and your problem is solved. And saying just because it has a subreddit means it is "over hyped" make no sense. I am subscrided to /r/homebrewing.. does that mean making beer at home is over hyped? And DONT get me started on the spacedicks argument.

As for your student forum.. link? You other argument is so weak I am just shaking my head.

Oh, and there is dbags for ALL games that go to competing forums and start crap. Welcome to the internet.

If you don't have much activity on Youtube, or if you do not have an account, the Youtube home page shows the most popular videos.  For about 2 months The Yogscast's GW2 vids were top.

Don't bother replying, dude.  I cannot have a serious debate with anyone who doesn't think hype exists or someone who can't comprehend how over-hyped GW2 is.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1607767  There's the link for my example btw, this was a random selection and is one of many.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    (crap, if I name a beer after guild wars 2, does THAT make it over hyped?)

No, but if you're considering a name for your child, it's time to talk.

Or a tattoo.  Remember that crazy with the Lineage tattoo?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

What hype? It takes me forever to find and active GW2 thread here. It's like the game doesn't exist on people's radar...

/sarcasm

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Loke666

I dont want to get hung up on the payment method, and if they follow through on their expansion schedule its going to cost $15 a month but in the box price up front, so i dont see much of a money saving payment model, not that it concerns me.

Theres been a lot of promises kept for a lot of games that ended up being over hyped then hated, out of the ones i listed only a few failed with their promises, and only then those broken promises were found AFTER launch..

This is why i posed this question...its easy to say ANet is following all their promises prior to launch, there were people who said the same exact thing about AoC and we all know what happend once the game launched and people left the wonderful area of tortage.

What makes it different this time that going to allow this game to retain its hype past that first month and past the point of being at endgame (which is usually the make or break moment for mmorpgs and often goes untested untill well after launch)

Also, IceWhite...missed the point by a long shot...

Uhm, you think they will release a new expansion every third or fourth month?

That is utterly impossible, at best it will be every 9 months which should cost you about 5 bucks a month (assuming the cost will be $45, a little more if we are talking $60) and you don´t have to buy the expansions to actually play the game unlike monthly fees.

So, no. Take it from a GW vet, B2P is a lot cheaper than P2P unless you spend a fortune on crap you don't need.

There's even an article that talks about this. ANet learned from GW1 that rapidly releasing expansions is bad for the game and shifted their focus to microtransactions (ie: why there is a cash shop).

http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/#s:guildwars2-16

GamesBeat: When you released Guild Wars in 2005, publishing an MMO without a mandatory subscription fee seemed like a very bold idea. Your original business plan was to generate revenue for ongoing operations by releasing new game expansions regularly, and microtransactions were only an afterthought. Can you summarize how the original Guild Wars model worked out for you and what lessons you learned from it?

Mike O’Brien: Guild Wars sales far exceeded our expectations, so we learned that there was huge demand for a non-monthly fee game. But we also learned that it wasn’t in the game’s best interest to release new expansions as rapidly as we had originally intended. I mean, we literally got to the point where we could release an entire new campaign — with a new storyline, new professions, and new game mechanics — in just six months. We released Nightfall exactly six months after Factions. That pace was great for the hardcore players who could consume content that quickly, but it left a lot of other players behind and didn’t give the world time to settle from one campaign to the next.

So we shifted the focus of our business model during the Guild Wars life-cycle from supporting the live game through constantly releasing new expansion packs to supporting the live game through microtransactions.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Without entering in too much details, as a Sandboxer, I can tell you GW2 is the best Themepark ever released.

I bought it already and I was having enough fun during Betas, something I never had with WAR, RIFT, SWTOR or TSW...............

I haven't played any Dungeons yet (which is my favourite feature in any MMO), but from what I've seen in some Videos they look awesome, so for me GW2 can only get better.

I am not sure if that helps you

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Hey OP!

I'm just one guy (well, two if you count my wife too).

I completely ignored the "Hype" For GW2. I was aware of a game with such a name coming out, but did not care as I played GW1 and did not find it to my liking.

I was all up in World of Warcraft. Got in the beta for Mists of Pandaria, like what I saw, this... that.

Then I happened to read about GW2, by coincidence. Loved it. Was skeptical, bought it anyway to try the BWE3 and I was sold. I read what others think about the game and I can see many mirroring my experience. Those that played it without pre-concepts were just blown away by this gem of a game.

Take it as you wish.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Volkmar

I'm just one guy (well, two if you count my wife too).

Your wife's a g...naw too easy :P

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Still looking for where all this "hype" is outside of sites dedicated to MMORPGs. Untill I see it, I call troll bs. 

Would you consider GW2 to be under-hyped?

I don't like the word hype. Anyway, among mmorpg fans then yeah GW2 is certainly well known.

Outside of mmorpg players and sites like this one, it really isn't that known of a game.

And that is the point. It is like saying Andrew Luck is over hyped in Indy. As a Packer fan I don't hear much about him, and if you don't follow the NFL you have no clue WHO he is.. but in one little market he is all that is talked about.

Are you kidding?  GW2 is frequently on the front page of Youtube because of people such as the Yogscast covering it.  It has also been all over Reddit, there's even a sub forum for it.

There is a student forum I frequent and even that site, a site which is usually filled with party boy fools who don't know what an MMO is has had threads about GW2.

You can go to other game websites like SWTOR and Archeage, there's people there making threads about how much better GW2 is.

I could go on and on

Youtube front page adjusts to what you have been watching. When my daughter forgets to log out of youtube on the laptop, I see nothing about GW2 (and a bunch about "warrior cats"). It is YOUR fault that you have GW2 on yourtube.

As for reddit.. unsubsribe to /r/guildwars2 and your problem is solved. And saying just because it has a subreddit means it is "over hyped" make no sense. I am subscrided to /r/homebrewing.. does that mean making beer at home is over hyped? And DONT get me started on the spacedicks argument.

As for your student forum.. link? You other argument is so weak I am just shaking my head.

Oh, and there is dbags for ALL games that go to competing forums and start crap. Welcome to the internet.

If you don't have much activity on Youtube, or if you do not have an account, the Youtube home page shows the most popular videos.  For about 2 months The Yogscast's GW2 vids were top.

Don't bother replying, dude.  I cannot have a serious debate with anyone who doesn't think hype exists or someone who can't comprehend how over-hyped GW2 is.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1607767  There's the link for my example btw, this was a random selection and is one of many.

Thats odd.. I went incogneto mode, went to youtube.. and NO gw2 on front page. I saw mincraft, 50 cent and justin beiber. would you like a screen shot? I am sure it is up there once in awhile.

Oh, and your link.. it was posted by someone who writes for a gaming website and did an artical on GW2. It was nothing but self promotion.  Oh, and your link proves MY point. It is under a COMPUTER gaming forum, and if you just look at all the threads, there is only ONE thread on front page about GW2. ONE! We got a whole lotta hype there. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Hype.. is that really the biggest argument you have against a game? Perhaps I could do some more spelling or grammical errors for you to point out, cause then you REALLY will be winning.

Edit to add in my own link (from same forum) to prove my point that in the gaming comunity, gw2 is not over hyped.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

There's more than enough content and polish to warrant the 59.99 price tag. the game won't die after a few months, because arenanet knows how to manage their fanbase and keep them happy. they were always coming out with great  expansions, new dungeons, hosting enjoyable holiday events, CONSTANTLY balancing the hundreds upon hundreds of skills in PvP, and they were always able to give the customer the feeling that their franchise was continuously GROWING.

Almost every single mmorpg i have played in the past 10 years, I would always feel a sense of spite whenever I quit them. Like I was cheated out of my money or I was tricked into wasting my months of my time chasing a stupid carrot on a stick. However, whenever I took a break from guild wars I felt happy and satisfied for the experience it gave me. I had fun. I knew I would ahead of time I would come back when they released new stuff.

There is a reason for the hype and that's because over the years arenanet has been in existance, their fanbase has been increasing, and the loyalty of their fans has been growing, unlike companies like blizzard where as time goes on their fanbase becomes more spiteful and hateful.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

Unlike pretty much all the other recent titles, including SWTOR and TSW, GW2 is actually good as a massively multiplayer game.

• SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

There is no difference in the Hype.

However, this game is Buy2Play. The content for the price is good so the Hype is a mute point. It doesn't need that much Hype to stay alive and be successful, it just has to retain enough players to.

As others have stated there is enough content and player created content (PvP) to maintain a decent population. Unlike a lot of other games that Need to keep new players coming in and/or have difficulty maintaining enough 'content' for their games community to maintain a reasonably healthy game population.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    does that mean making beer at home is over hyped?

Could be it is. Better let me taste, to make sure...

LOL. I'll have a pint to cheers....

No no no.. everyone is just going to have to wait. I am going to be making a new batch in the next day or two that will be for  launch day. THEN eveyrone can have a pint! (crap, if I name a beer after guild wars 2, does THAT make it over hyped?)

Something to consider... many years back I made a medium dark ale recipe, but added an eigth of a pound of peated malt to give it just a subtle hint of a dry, smoky flavor way in the back of the throat. Oh man, was that quality brew! You know you did it right when you can drink it room temperature and it's still great.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    does that mean making beer at home is over hyped?

Could be it is. Better let me taste, to make sure...

LOL. I'll have a pint to cheers....

No no no.. everyone is just going to have to wait. I am going to be making a new batch in the next day or two that will be for  launch day. THEN eveyrone can have a pint! (crap, if I name a beer after guild wars 2, does THAT make it over hyped?)

Something to consider... many years back I made a medium dark ale recipe, but added an eigth of a pound of peated malt to give it just a subtle hint of a dry, smoky flavor way in the back of the throat. Oh man, was that quality brew! You know you did it right when you can drink it room temperature and it's still great.

Did you dry hop it or add it into the wort durring boil?  A hint of smoky does sound guild wars 2-ish. 

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I dont want to get hung up on the payment method, and if they follow through on their expansion schedule its going to cost $15 a month but in the box price up front, so i dont see much of a money saving payment model, not that it concerns me.

I've heard this so often, so I thought I would point a few things out.

At $15 a month,....

you stop paying you stop playing.

if you don't like some of the new stuff, you can't opt out.

it is always $15 a month, although you might get a few month here or there,

devs talk and promise lots of new stuff, but often it ends up slowing to a crawl, so what is the $15 going for?

subs have expansions too.

At btp...

once you buy the box you can play it as little or as much as you like.

if you don't like the expansion, you don't have to buy it.

the expansion will drop in price. A lot of people this summer bought the game and 2 expansion for less than the price of the first game.

you know what you are getting from the expansion. You can read reviews, etc.

To me, expansions are a better value.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Having played the game....

Nothing.

It's a good game though.  Good.  Not great.  Not amazing.  Good.

----

People yammering about the payment method are kidding themselves, or just kids.   For one, your going to end up spending money in the cash shop.   Two,  The day I play a subpar game because I can't afford a $15 subscription fee for a hobby that consumes tens of hours every month is the day I stop playing games because I'm too god damn poor and need to get another job or go back to school.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"the game won't die after a few months, because arenanet knows how to manage their fanbase and keep them happy.

you cant please everyone.which is why i think arenanets point in making the game appealing to both hardcores and casuals will fail in the end

because if you make a game to casual,the hardcores end up leaving.if you make a game to hardcore,the casuals end up leaving.but who knows,after star wars the old republic,my outlook on developers talking about there game is.talk is cheap,id rather see the developer spend less time jabbering his mouth about the game and more time working on the stuff hes talking or wanted to talk about

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm really curious to where people get this "OMG GW2 is soooooo hyped"  I honestly don't know anyone saying anything to make it sound like it's going cure cancer (other than in jest)  It's just that the amount of consumers that are responding to the changes brought about by Anet's design is huge. People are treating it as if the game is promising the impossible, but really it's just promising what alot of people want.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I'm really curious to where people get this "OMG GW2 is soooooo hyped"  I honestly don't know anyone saying anything to make it sound like it's going cure cancer (other than in jest)  It's just that the amount of consumers that are responding to the changes brought about by Anet's design is huge. People are treating it as if the game is promising the impossible, but really it's just promising what alot of people want.

Threads like this.  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/355084

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

None of the games you posted didn't even look as promising as GW2, they didn't even feel good during beta. Nothing about them felt new or refreshing. I never heard the devs of said games say anything that actually sounded sincere.

Funny thing is, for every over zealous fan post there is like 3 threads saying things like "why should I care about this game?" or "this game is over hyped" (or anyother of bashing threads). Of course the people complaining about this game are the ones mostly keeping this game on the front page.... which gives them soming to whine about. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I lol'd 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

make sure you continue reading the thread to see all the GW2 fanboi's disputing it.  And in all honesty, I think that line of thinking is more derived from the fact that a developer is actually doing something different.  Do you think that making another wow clone is going to get people excited? I can just see what that guy would have had to put for headlines " wow-clone now greatest game ever, people will now refer to future games as wow-clone clones"  lol

I still think the opposing reaction to GW2 hype is over-exaggerated.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Look, you're not buying a washing machine. This is a game. What't the big deal? :)

Just play it, and if you end up getting to hate it after a month, drop it. A month of gameplay is more than worth the $60 to me. 

We used to be pleased when a game held our attention for a couple of weeks, and never even thought of regretting it. Now if an MMO (without a sub, mind) isn't fun for more than a month, we feel burnt. I played SWTOR for 2 months, and it wasn't even that great, but I had fun and don't regret it one bit. I must have played 20+ MMOs for a couple of months (if not a single month), and there are really few I wish I'd not have bought.

Tough job, making an MMO these days. We expect the world of them. 

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

So ive broken down the responses to the most common (as per my origional question in the title of the thread) and these are generealized:

#1 Theres no hype 

#2 This is a troll thread

#3 Its just a game why make a big deal out of it

I agree with #3 the most, however this wasnt about me personally wanting to play...ill play just not at launch and i really agree with this mindset the most...however if this were a true statement that represented the majority games like SWTOR would still be jam packed with people...so i know this isnt the norm, though i may agree with it the most.

The other responses that fit into #1 and #2 ranged from comical to just sad....

Oh and for the few people who played super sleuth and figured out im *gasp* playing another mmorpg right now...yes im happy with TSW...its such a different game from GW2 that i could handle playing both, and will do so..just going to let reality set in for this one here first....again i dislike being in game that moment when the community learns the game is just a game.

But thanks for responding, i think the overwhelming answer to my question: "Whats different this time around" was an astounding "NOTHING"

Look for this same exact thread next pre launched over hyped mmorpg...