Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many copies did this sell?

Comments

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Tonin109
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Bhorzo

There is a long history of it with MMOs. IF TSW had sold millions of copies and had millions of subs, they would not be offering a free trial. MMOs only start offering free trials when they arent doing well. 

Like World of Warcraft...

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but yes, exactly like world of warcraft. Their sub numbers start declining, they introduce a free trial. 

WoW had a free trial as long as I can remember.

Ofcourse not in the first months and everyone knows damn well why. Tjeez.

2004 was a different time. How many times do we need to beat this poor dead horse?

Everyone knew TSW was going to be a niche game. Even Funcom themselves knew that.

They let the game rely on viral marketing and mouth to mouth advertising. Start small, grow over time.

These one day passes are part of that.

Fact is! The servers (dimensions) are booming with people. They are still full during primetimes each day. And that after 4 weeks.

So they already doing better than SW:TOR did, that already saw a rapid decline of server activity after just 2-3 weeks.

how many people can play on a server ? and how many servers so far ?

the one day trial is not enough to make an idea

in my case : on beta first day  it wasnt good, second day i changed my point of view , found the game more interesting than i thought

a couple of days or a free week end could be nice to make your own idea of the game

rift,wow give a lvl 20 trial , in the end i bought rift

so the 1 day trial is kind of ridiculous, i'm sure more people would buy the game if they extend the "free trial", subbing is another question

Does it matter how many servers there are?

The only thing that matters is how many people continue on playing and so keep the server population healthy.

Sure, SW:TOR sold 1,7mil copies (due to insane marketing) and had 200 servers. But all that means nothing, when the server populations already started to take a nose dive after just 2 - 3 weeks!

calm down ! its just a question just asking  is it hard to say how many servers are there in the game?

dont see the devil each time people ask questions

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

calm down ! its just a question just asking  is it hard to say how many servers are there in the game?

i tried to look into it for you.

looks like maybe 7 counting german/french servers. (edit: 8 servers.. i miscounted)

but there is something about the way their servers work that is unique.  i don't think the populations are handled in the same way they are in a game like WOW or SWTOR.

the details are unknown to me.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

I am surprised not all MMOs do that from a week after launch.

But I don´t think it outsold AoC or anything anyways, die hard MMO fans bought it but my none MMO fanatic gamer friends havn´t heard about it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There is a long history of it with MMOs. IF TSW had sold millions of copies and had millions of subs, they would not be offering a free trial. MMOs only start offering free trials when they arent doing well. 

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but yes, exactly like world of warcraft. Their sub numbers start declining, they introduce a free trial. 

2004 was a different time. How many times do we need to beat this poor dead horse?

Everyone knew TSW was going to be a niche game. Even Funcom themselves knew that.

They let the game rely on viral marketing and mouth to mouth advertising. Start small, grow over time.

Fact is! The servers (dimensions) are booming with people. They are still full during primetimes each day. And that after 4 weeks.

So they already doing better than SW:TOR did, that already saw a rapid decline of server activity after just 2-3 weeks.

in my case : on beta first day  it wasnt good, second day i changed my point of view , found the game more interesting than i thought

a couple of days or a free week end could be nice to make your own idea of the game

so the 1 day trial is kind of ridiculous, i'm sure more people would buy the game if they extend the "free trial", subbing is another question

The only thing that matters is how many people continue on playing and so keep the server population healthy.

Sure, SW:TOR sold 1,7mil copies (due to insane marketing) and had 200 servers. But all that means nothing, when the server populations already started to take a nose dive after just 2 - 3 weeks!

?? It was a very calm response. So I think it's you that need to cool off a bit lol.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

?? It was a very calm response. So I think it's you that need to cool off a bit lol.

so why didnt you answer my simple question ? ^_^

and i'm calm dont worry for me :)

@Ramanadjin: thank you for the info :) , if all servers are full it gives you an idea on how "populated" is the game

• LockthileLockthile Member Posts: 11

How on earth could you make a decision whether to buy a game based on a 24h free-trial? You would have to sit pretty much a whole damn day in order to se whether the game is something you will like or not.

Having 3-4 days to determine whether the game is good or not is much better way to market your product than a mere 24h access. This way you can spend a few hours each day. 

Honestly, its a good marketing move, and it doesn't cost anything. It can only pay off with more purchases and subsribers. 

Oh, and from the user reviews, TSW gets a decent score. Very few people are bashing the game, and those that will not continue playing say that the game is decent but not for them.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by Nitth

Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

How so? its only a day pass

3 days accorfing to FC

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1304351#post1304351

From Friday, August 3rd at 4pm GMT until Monday, August 6th at 7am GMT, we invite you and your friends to participate in this exciting celebration!

back to OP, I would say not nearly as well as they hoped, publishers get most of the box sale money and all indicators show they were not all that. If I had to guess I would say in the 300K range plus or minus 50 K

300k seems about right. It's a shame that they didn't really advertise the game better.

I really don't get this, 'the game wasn't advertised better', argument.  I mean didn't they hold it back for two months for, 'marketing', reasons? So what were they doing that time? As I recall there was plenty of puff pieces, banner advertising on this site and on others.  Even on mail.com they had a banner ad for it. Unless of course the game wasn't held back for the reasons stated, but that's another argument.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225

It's a smart move by Funcom to give a free weekend since a lot of potential customers base their impression of the game from the earliest open beta weekends. Back then it had some well known issues with unfinished animations and was lacking in the "feel-department". Much of this was resolved by launch, and this will give all those originally interested in the game a reason for a second look :)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Loke666

I am surprised not all MMOs do that from a week after launch.

But I don´t think it outsold AoC or anything anyways, die hard MMO fans bought it but my none MMO fanatic gamer friends havn´t heard about it.

most MMO's give a few try before buys prior to release these days, beta weekends or something at least. Sort of surprising to see one this soon after release though. I do have a feeling that they did not do as well as they had hoped they would and are trying to sell a few more boxes. It may work, I am bored crapless at the moment and may end up buying a copy to tide me over to GW2. I canceled my ToR account so I could sub to it, will decide after the I retry it.

I miss DAoC

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

If they were smart they would open kingsmouth as a free trial.  Cap the amount of XP the trials can recieve so they cant end up maxing anything out or whatever, dont put a time limit on it, restrict trial players to one trial chat chan so paying players dont have to deal with it.

Do this all around the end of september.  Your not going to get anything other than bored die hard GW2 fans comming in doing the trial now, give that game a month then give a trial that allows the akward learning curve to be conquerd, that includes allowing for at least some form of decent combat build to be obtained as well as enough time to really get into the kingsmouth lore...which is why i think letting people have an unlimited kingsmouth trial would do the game justice.  Just as long as their XP gets capped out and they cant communicate in the normal general chats.

Will have the added benefit of allowing people who do sub to have a jam packed kingsmouth for polaris as well...

Thus far the trials have been far too short to do the game justice, and the timing is terrible with a major overhyped release quickly approaching.  

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132

Logged in 10pm EST last night and my server was full. And they are opening up another server as all of them are full. Game is doing very well. Move along.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by djnestrick

Logged in 10pm EST last night and my server was full. And they are opening up another server as all of them are full. Game is doing very well. Move along.

just analyzing their website traffic looks like it peaked around the 8th of July and has been trending downward since. It's back down to June levels, so I seriosly doubt there is much if any growth population wise

I miss DAoC

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

just analyzing their website traffic looks like it peaked around the 8th of July and has been trending downward since. It's back down to June levels, so I seriosly doubt there is much if any growth population wise

Honestly who gives a Shit. As long as their making enough money to keep servers up,and update the game on a regular bases...thats all that matters. Really Funcom was smart to start with a small amount of servers, so they HAVE a health population on those servers,then releasing TSW with 50 servers and half of them being dead (SWTOR).

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by zaylin

Honestly who gives a Shit. As long as their making enough money to keep servers up,and update the game on a regular bases...thats all that matters. Really Funcom was smart to start with a small amount of servers, so they HAVE a health population on those servers,then releasing TSW with 50 servers and half of them being dead (SWTOR).

Funcom was also lucky in that a ton of people didn't bother with TSW because GW2 is so close to release, so less people bought it with the anticipation of playing it for a short period in time. SWTOR had alot of people buy it with no intention of playing it for the long haul.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

1 new server and a first month celebration.

And the buddy pass was only given to people with sub and had to be given and registered by a certain date. That date is passed, no more valid buddy keys.

Now do what y'all do best and argue over semantics to see who the king of forums pvp is.

Additional RP Dimension “Leviathan” Opened

Additional RP Dimension “Leviathan” Opened

To accommodate the increasing number of players, we have today opened an additional dimension called "Leviathan". Leviathan will be flagged as a roleplaying dimension. It is not yet listed as "RP" in the list of dimensions in character creation but it will be very soon.

Please keep in mind though that no matter where you create your character, the single-server technology of The Secret World allows you to play with any character from any other dimension. Cabals are also able to recruit their members from across every dimension. A dimension in The Secret World can hold tens of thousands of people playing at the same time.

Celebrate the first live month of The Secret World!

Celebrate the first live month of The Secret World!

It's been an exciting first month since the launch of The Secret World and we are grateful so many players are enjoying our game. This world comes to life through YOU, the players. To thank you for your continued interest, we are celebrating the First Month of The Secret World with new content, special prizes, and weekend access for your friends!

From Friday, August 3rd at 4pm GMT until Monday, August 6th at 7am GMT, we invite you and your friends to participate in this exciting celebration!

New content

On the 31st of July we will release our first monthly content update, The Secret World - Issue #1. New content to explore, new stories and mysteries to uncover. 

Help the people

Your task, if you choose to accept it: During the celebration weekend running from August 3-7, solve 30 in-game missions to help those in need and receive a special in-game t-shirt and 1200 bonus points.

Brighten the sky

Free fireworks for everyone! During the celebration weekend, you will be able to claim fireworks - 15 per character - in the in-game Item Shop for free! Brighten the sky and lighten the mood in these dark days, it's time to party!

Be on top

We know our players are dedicated, but we want everyone to see it! During the celebration weekend, we will have a special leader board, showing the 100 most dedicated mission solvers in The Secret World universe.

Everyone can join in

We want to share the joy with as many people as possible! Any player, who has any type of The Secret World account, may join us over the weekend to celebrate our first month! Early Access, Inactive Accounts, and Beta Accounts may all join in! If you do not currently have an account for The Secret World, you may register to participate starting today, Friday, July 27th, to have open access to this special celebration weekend! You can find the celebration event registration on the right side of the official website! You may download the game here.

Join us in our First Month Celebration, exploring the depths of The Secret World!

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Tjommis

It's a smart move by Funcom to give a free weekend since a lot of potential customers base their impression of the game from the earliest open beta weekends. Back then it had some well known issues with unfinished animations and was lacking in the "feel-department". Much of this was resolved by launch, and this will give all those originally interested in the game a reason for a second look :)

It was a smart move to do the free weekend for another reason.  It allows potential players to check their rigs without wasting money buying a game they can´t play.    I didn´t have any tech problems with AOC, but a ton of people bought the box, then couldn´t play for the entire free month.

But they really will need (in the future) to open up the free play and allow more time.  It is one of the things Blizzard learned by only giving 7 day trials.   Real, new players simply were to slow at leveling to see things like dungeons or anything past the really tutorial type quests.  Give them unlimited playtime to get to the levels where they get to see at least more meat from the game.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

World of Warcraft had a free trial at launch, before any numbers were taken into account, I know this for a fact because I got a free trial code in my vanilaa WoW box.

So, your logic is illogical. 

• LockthileLockthile Member Posts: 11

Lets be honest. For gamers that sit and play a game 5-10 hours each day, no game will ever be sufficient. There might be a game out there which can satisfy someones needs for a decent amount of time, but it will be a rare gem. From what I see and read of these forums, that has yet to happened to many of you. And for those of you who are waiting for GW2, I am 99% sure that the game won't meet your expectations and that after a few weeks you will be dead bored because it won't be anything more to do....

So, I suggest you either lower gametime and do other things besides gaming, or forever long for that "perfect" game.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Valua

World of Warcraft had a free trial at launch, before any numbers were taken into account, I know this for a fact because I got a free trial code in my vanilaa WoW box.

WoW had a lot of free trial offers in the first year or so.  I started playing 6 months in and that was from a free trial disk off the cover of a gaming magazine. I also recall seeing computer stores here selling a $2 CD with a 7 day WoW trial on it.  This was common, I think I even saw the same disk in my local supermarket.

Now maybe TSW has sold well, maybe it hasn't.  All I know is that compared to other MMO's I've played at launch (Rift, Tera, Aion, Warhammer, and SWTOR) there has been no obvious drop off in the population and the game forums are relatively free of "I quit" posters (I found 2 after 10 pages, plus one guy who had to stop playing because his wife was going to have twins).

It was a little quiet tonight because it's patch night and the servers are normally down, but everywhere I went there were people killing stuff I wanted to kill :(

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Last night on the Arcadia server, I decided to go back to the earlier zones and finish up some quests that I skipped (or were too hard for me), and do some exploring in areas that had monsters that were previously too hard for me. There were people everywhere! Not as much as on launch day, but almost half as many. Every quest giver, even in the obscure corners of the map, had a handful of people talking to them. Every quest I did, I had at least 2-4 other people to do them with at the same time as me. I expected the zones to be abandoned and empty, but it was quite the opposite. I'll admit that I was slightly surprised.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Last night on the Arcadia server, I decided to go back to the earlier zones and finish up some quests that I skipped (or were too hard for me), and do some exploring in areas that had monsters that were previously too hard for me. There were people everywhere! Not as much as on launch day, but almost half as many. Every quest giver, even in the obscure corners of the map, had a handful of people talking to them. Every quest I did, I had at least 2-4 other people to do them with at the same time as me. I expected the zones to be abandoned and empty, but it was quite the opposite. I'll admit that I was slightly surprised.

Maybe you are running with alts of folks that have already completed most of the content? Will this new patch bring about a little more variety for folks that want to play an alt or does this mean there is still no replay value here ?

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    So, you say there is no point in running an alt, but the fact that the first zones are still filled with players relates with people who play alts? Seems not very logical to me.

Hodor!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Baddogbill

Maybe you are running with alts of folks that have already completed most of the content? Will this new patch bring about a little more variety for folks that want to play an alt or does this mean there is still no replay value here ?

I assure you people have not completed "most of the content." People may have followed the story, to the end of the prelude. 1st  chapter release is today.  

the story is no more than 5% of the availible content.  14 days /played here and I wake up every morning with 4 or 5 things I "need" to do.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by stragen001 Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

I would offer free trials almost right from the start. The hardest part of the game is getting people to start.

I think the free weekends are not a bad idea either. I have not purchased the game, but I've got the client updated just in case I enjoy it this weekend and want to buy. I'll probably buy hedge clippers instead, but just in case, I'm going to check the game out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by stragen001 Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

I would offer free trials almost right from the start. The hardest part of the game is getting people to start.

I think the free weekends are not a bad idea either. I have not purchased the game, but I've got the client updated just in case I enjoy it this weekend and want to buy. I'll probably buy hedge clippers instead, but just in case, I'm going to check the game out.

I agree with this completely.

Nowadays developers don't like giving away free trials because they would prefer the player to buy the game instead to test it, which is wrong on so many levels, and exceptionally greedy. Also probably because they know their game is crap, so people trialing it wouldn't buy it anyway.

Blizzard never did this, they wanted people to test their game because they were confident that their game was great (and WoW was back then, and is now but a different kind of great.)

The Secret World is similar to WoW in that they know their game is good, and the majority of people who test it will probably enjoy it and maybe buy it. But the likes of Rift, The Old Republic, WAR etc didn't, maybe because they knew their game wasn't good enough for people to try for free then play.

A bit off topic, but another thing that annoys me is developers charging people to play Betas (Yes GW2 I'm looking at you) and treating the beta's almost like pre-play events rather than bug finding betas (that they should be.) I know beta's were also given out to websites etc, but that was like what - 10%? 

People actually paid £15 more just to play a few extra betas, on characters that won't even exist when the game goes live, I think that is insanely stupid, I'll stick to my £30 pre-order and just play when the games released.

Beta's should be free, for randomly selected people to find bugs, not to be bought for some extra cash. And trials should be a given at lauch, developers should have enough faith in their game to expect people to try for free then purchase.

That's just my opinion though.