Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I get this game?

Matt1128YMatt1128Y Member Posts: 26

Let me make this simple. I like experience penalities for dying, looting player bodies, competition, spontaneous player-driven world PVP, and skill-based (at least half-to-mostly) combat. I also like steep leveling curves, as well as silky-smooth controls.

But I distain cheating and hacks (exploits, aimbots, speedhacks, duping, bots, etc.) If whoever is maintaining Darkfall isn't at least trying very hard to prevent the aforementioned from happening, then forget it.

That being said, should I try this game?

Thanks.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Matt1128Y

Let me make this simple. I like experience penalities for dying, looting player bodies, competition, spontaneous player-driven world PVP, and skill-based (at least half-to-mostly) combat. I also like steep leveling curves, as well as silky-smooth controls.But I distain cheating and hacks (exploits, aimbots, speedhacks, duping, bots, etc.) If whoever is maintaining Darkfall isn't at least trying very hard to prevent the aforementioned from happening, then forget it.That being said, should I try this game?Thanks.

If you have lots of spare time, by all means go ahead as it is a lot of fun.
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

Well there is good news and bad...

Darkfall is the game that offers everything you look for!!! Except... silky smooth controls, well it's more of a GUI problem, most players have to use auto hotkey to create enough bindings for all your abilities. It's not as scary as it sounds.

There's no longer a steep character leveling curve, you will be getting a pretty high character skill and stat wise within 2-3 weeks as a new player if you're active. But the player skill curve is damn high and really pays off if you practise, practise and practise some more.

Hacking and cheating in darkfall is in the area of non-existant to never seen atleast, it used to be a problem but now it's not.

After saying all that, free download with $10 monthly sub it is definately worth a try. I recommend you find a clan asap and get stuck in :)

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

The game is fun, I have not played it in awhile.  When it first came out the game was the best.  I have come back here and there for a month or two at a time and I enjoy playing, but I usually get bored because I do not have the time to really do anything.

I would give it a try, it matches your preferences quite well.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

game is good, but tbh besides the last patch a few weeks ago there wasnt a patch for months and months, with serious exploits present in the game.

Exploiting in this game is a way of life, you have to do it to be competiative. you have to scrpit to be competative and you have to bunnyhop (esentially exploiting) to be competative. There are also cases of cheating or suspected cheating but very little seems to change or has changed.

The game is fun, i enjoy playing it but i have very little time to commit to games so i only play casually, but i iamgine anoyne seriously into pvp with alot of time to spare will face the above issues everyday. So if they put you off then im not sure its the game for you.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by deathshroud

game is good, but tbh besides the last patch a few weeks ago there wasnt a patch for months and months, with serious exploits present in the game.

Exploiting in this game is a way of life, you have to do it to be competiative. you have to scrpit to be competative and you have to bunnyhop (esentially exploiting) to be competative. There are also cases of cheating or suspected cheating but very little seems to change or has changed.

The game is fun, i enjoy playing it but i have very little time to commit to games so i only play casually, but i iamgine anoyne seriously into pvp with alot of time to spare will face the above issues everyday. So if they put you off then im not sure its the game for you.

What exploits are you thinking of that are so rife now, stickybacks/aimbots or something? 

You certainly don't need to exploit in order to max out characters or be competitive anymore. The gold drops/meditation and insane skill up rates have put paid to that. As for bunnyhopping, that has always been part and parcel of FPS aiming games, I wouldn't call it exploiting.

As for patches, well there have been a few updates and some community events. But the game is being run with a maint team as the rest are working on DF 2.0. It is hard to know whether to recommend it or not without knowing when/if DF2.0 will pop.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

What exploits are you thinking of that are so rife now, stickybacks/aimbots or something? 

You certainly don't need to exploit in order to max out characters or be competitive anymore. The gold drops/meditation and insane skill up rates have put paid to that. As for bunnyhopping, that hs always been part and parcel of FPS aiming games, I wouldn't call it exploiting.

those arent exploits those are hacks you listed. To me bunnyhopping is exploiting, its exploiting a game mechanic for something it wasnt designed to do, also quick loot macros are exploiting as well.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

those arent exploits those are hacks you listed. To me bunnyhopping is exploiting, its exploiting a game mechanic for something it wasnt designed to do, also quick loot macros are exploiting as well.

And people running quick loot macros is common in your experience these days?

If bunnyhopping is the "exploit" in an FPS centric game the OP needs to worry about then I think he is pretty safe to try the game!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GosseynGosseyn Member Posts: 26

Back to toppic:

Except for the silky-smooth interface, this game is for you.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Aside from the "silky smooth controls"*, Darkfall is your game for sure.  Best PvP game I've ever played, but...I pretty much sucked. 

*The "controls" are about as smooth as an industrial belt sander.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Aside from the "silky smooth controls"*, Darkfall is your game for sure.  Best PvP game I've ever played, but...I pretty much sucked.  

*The "controls" are about as smooth as an industrial belt sander.

The hotbars and switching between hotbars is a fairly standard mmo setup. I think it is more the fps vs tab targeting and sheer amount of skills you could have setup on your hotbars, that give ppl fits.

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304
    No other game like it, maybe AC. With the new promotion, definitley worth coming back until DF2.0.
  • furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

simple really....no

game is in maint mode and it will most likely be wiped when DF2 hits. If you need a fps fix, there are better multiplayer games than this.

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by furidiam
    simple really....nogame is in maint mode and it will most likely be wiped when DF2 hits. If you need a fps fix, there are better multiplayer games than this.

It's not just multiplayer, it's a true MMORPG. There is no better PvP MMORPG than Dafkfall. EVE is great, but too slow.

Originally posted by Kshahdoo

simple really....no

game is in maint mode and it will most likely be wiped when DF2 hits. If you need a fps fix, there are better multiplayer games than this.

It's not just multiplayer, it's a true MMORPG. There is no better PvP MMORPG than Dafkfall. EVE is great, but too slow.

It's pretty much the only game in town for FFA full loot PvP sandbox. 

Considering how many people proclaim to love sandboxes on this site, it is surprising how little attention this game gets.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Matt1128Y

Let me make this simple. I like experience penalities for dying, looting player bodies, competition, spontaneous player-driven world PVP, and skill-based (at least half-to-mostly) combat. I also like steep leveling curves, as well as silky-smooth controls.

But I distain cheating and hacks (exploits, aimbots, speedhacks, duping, bots, etc.) If whoever is maintaining Darkfall isn't at least trying very hard to prevent the aforementioned from happening, then forget it.

That being said, should I try this game?

Thanks.

If you have lots of spare time, by all means go ahead as it is a lot of fun.

Why comment on a game you have played 2 years ago and never looked back at?  the rates are insanely high now. loads of events that have 20x exp rates.

But i shouldnt get the game now and wait for Darkfall 2.0 if i were you. Its still unknown if all characters get wiped when 2.0 launches

• furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

I have played DF for years. Just so you know where I am coming from.

The game is going to be wiped out soon. I would recommend people to look for a game that is going to be around in a year.

I dont recommend games that will be shut down soon.

If DF interests people then I recommend they wait for DF2 before getting involved in it.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I would give it a shot. . pure fun at this point with the 20X skill gain.  Especially if you have never played it. . no cost for the client and $10 for one month if that is all you play - well worth it.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• trillgodtrillgod Member Posts: 52
    are darkfall 2 mechanics gonna be the same as darkfall 1? i just started playing and my char already ha 100 amoror protetion O_O
  • jake-offjake-off Member CommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Atlan99

simple really....no

It's pretty much the only game in town for FFA full loot PvP sandbox. 

Considering how many people proclaim to love sandboxes on this site, it is surprising how little attention this game gets.

You just spoke my mind, brother.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Originally posted by furidiam simple really....no   game is in maint mode and it will most likely be wiped when DF2 hits. If you need a fps fix, there are better multiplayer games than this.
    It's pretty much the only game in town for FFA full loot PvP sandbox.  Considering how many people proclaim to love sandboxes on this site, it is surprising how little attention this game gets.

It feels more like a low-budget FPS than an MMO. There is no character development. Controls are weak. There is no lore worth mentioning. Animations are pure crap. The list goes on.

Sandbox is fine, but there still needs to be an RPG component to it. Or incredibly tight gameplay, if that's all it's truly about.

Darkfall has neither. It does have a fairly immature community though, with insults being a normal part of "conversation" in game.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

It feels more like a low-budget FPS than an MMO. There is no character development. Controls are weak. There is no lore worth mentioning. Animations are pure crap. The list goes on.

Sandbox is fine, but there still needs to be an RPG component to it. Or incredibly tight gameplay, if that's all it's truly about.

Darkfall has neither. It does have a fairly immature community though, with insults being a normal part of "conversation" in game.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

I think it is the best PvP sandbox on the market by far. There has never been a game that has sent my heart racing like Darkfall. The game had a rough launch, but it has come a long way.

• jake-offjake-off Member CommonPosts: 4

Originally posted by furidiam simple really....no   game is in maint mode and it will most likely be wiped when DF2 hits. If you need a fps fix, there are better multiplayer games than this.
    It's pretty much the only game in town for FFA full loot PvP sandbox.  Considering how many people proclaim to love sandboxes on this site, it is surprising how little attention this game gets.

Because of how "sandbox" this game is, the RPG component is whatever the players make it. The economy, politics, everything was ran by players. That's what I loved about this game. Also, I have a thing for big seamless worlds. I still don't see why everyone doesn't shit their pants over how great this game is. DayZ is just as unforgiving and has many of the same elements on a smaller scale and everyone got raging boners for it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by jake-off

Because of how "sandbox" this game is, the RPG component is whatever the players make it. The economy, politics, everything was ran by players. That's what I loved about this game. Also, I have a thing for big seamless worlds. I still don't see why everyone doesn't shit their pants over how great this game is. DayZ is just as unforgiving and has many of the same elements on a smaller scale and everyone got raging boners for it.

TOTALLY agree.

Lore? just read up on Darkfall WW1 which I was playing when it happend. players make the lore, the poltics, the factions etc.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Can't recommended at this point. Developers gave up to make a good sandbox game.

All that is a big arena. You can join any Shooter for better experience at what DF is and what they announced for DF2 so far.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• skrewwL00seskrewwL00se Member Posts: 12
    Yes, it is the best PvP MMO on the market hands down.