Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Steam: Exclusive First Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Lots of MMO players have been clamoring for a great steampunk game to come down the pike. With City of Steam, they might just have their wishes granted. Check out our exclusive first preview of City of Steam and then let us know what you think in the comments!

There was a time when the words “browser-based MMO” would make me cringe. However, with the creation and evolution of the Unity Engine, that old stigma no longer exists. And games like City of Steam, from Mechanist Games is an ambitious dungeon-crawling Action-MMORPG set in a massive steampunk-themed city with dungeons to run around every turn. Every feature you’ve come to know and love in traditional MMOs is there, and it’ll all be F2P. Sure, maybe it won’t compete with the likes of GW2 or TSW, but considering its accessibility and business model, it doesn’t need to. It just needs to be fun enough to make players want to spend a little money.

Read more of Bill Murphy's City of Steam: Exclusive First Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DreyderDreyder Member Posts: 25
    There was a time when the words “browser-based MMO” would make me cringe.

Not denying that you do not need a state of the art engine to make a game fun... heck Angry Birds is fun...

But MMOs? ... the time for cringing is still upon us.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Tried to use the key, it said it was invalid first time, then re-input and it worked, no idea why (I know I had just copied and pasted so it wasn't mis-typed)...

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I've been following this game for some time. I think it could potentially scratch that Steampunk itch some of us have.

/still watching

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

Looks promising :o) also liked the arcanum reference :D

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21

There were initially some issues with the key activation page, but they should be resolved now. Sorry about that, and enjoy the game this weekend!

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I would love a steampunk MMO to surface.  But not as a browser-based game.  I'll pass.  

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Imagine Mythos, but without the performance issues, with better graphics, with a Steam-ish Victorian setting. Oh yeah, and without all the suck of Mythos.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LangsdorffLangsdorff Member Posts: 29

The graphics are , well, better, alot better than RS HD. And for an Alpha test, plays good. I had 30 - 40 frames on Firefox, though only half that on chrome. There are some bugs and lag that I noticed but I realize this is only the first play. I plan on going back next weekend to see what has been done and get more playtime. 

Langsdorff

• VocadiVocadi Member UncommonPosts: 205

I played most of this weekend for the Riven/Draug alpha test. I think I am in love! Who knew a browser game could look so good, I was truly surprised. It ran really well for me in Firefox, not really any lag at all. Played full screen, and couldnt really tell I was in a browser game.

I tried 3 of the four classes and found I kept going back to the Gunner. The combat is a little clunky but using tab target helps alot.  This game draws me in and I cant wait to try it out again.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This game sucks in some browsers like Chrome.  If you can't write a game that runs in Chrome why even bother?  Exactly.

• dragongirl66dragongirl66 Member Posts: 1

I played this weekend on Chrome and had no problems at all!  Perhaps some tweaking went on behind the scenes.. or?

I thought it was a great game, gorgeous scenery, fun dialog (unlike most mmo's), and totally different from the run of the mill junk being put out nowadays! Sure it had some bugs, but the Devs are working on them constantly, so this game can only go up from here. I'm hoping it really succeeds for the long haul.

• DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

This game sucks in some browsers like Chrome.  If you can't write a game that runs in Chrome why even bother?  Exactly.

lemme get this straight you using a browser built by the largest private data miners on the internet and yuor complaining about a game still in a major testing and development phase? So uhhh, do you work for google or just plain derped? *Chrome, built by derps, for derps.*

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would have liked to play this game but i see all keys are gone.Go figure only 16 comments and all keys gone,did the same people make alt accounts and grab them all?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i played beta (or alpha?) like a bagillion months ago. I like the steampunk theme. I always wanted a steampunk mmo but after the disappointment that was Neo Steam online ive been expecting a good one. I just wish the gameplay wasnt the same thing from every mmo.

Ill still give it a try when it launches because of the steampunk style.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    What I don't get is why 3 of the 4 classes are traditional fantasy based if it's supposed to be steampunk?  I would have expected more gadget-themed classes.  Even the one steampunkish class(gunner) is magic based.  All the races are medieval fantasy too (elves, orcs, goblins, etc...). 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by achesoma
    What I don't get is why 3 of the 4 classes are traditional fantasy based if it's supposed to be steampunk?  I would have expected more gadget-themed classes.  Even the one steampunkish class(gunner) is magic based.  All the races are medieval fantasy too (elves, orcs, goblins, etc...). 

this is all true but as someone who has done steampunk table top gameing i can tell you alot of the fantasy style steam punk is set up this way.

also since this is fantasy VS steampunk more then just stright steampunk alot of the class that suit fantasy also suit steampunk.

while i agree i would like more pure steam punk style class we can only wait and see how the final product turns out.

edit : wait ignore this i was getting it mixed up with black gold, with that in mind i agree on what you where saying.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.