Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8 to be a disaster according to Valve developer Gabe Newell

sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

More info at http://bless-scroll.com/.

Comments

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33

Not much info at all, and I can't even seem to find Gabe Newells legit twitter.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I'm still unable to figure out why exactly he thinks so, same with the Blizzard comment. Only thing that comes to mind is windows store taking a 30% revenue cut but that I believe is only for metro apps. 

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Remember the good old days.. when journalists and reporters of any sort where required to post their sources before creating articles.

This post doesnt mean shit because there is no proof blizzard or steam made any such comments.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I lead the QA department for a Retail Utilities Software team, and all of my co-workers have been doom and gloom about Windows 8 every since we had to start working with it. I personally think it is a bit overblown, but a lot of it from my co-workers (i.e. the software engineers) see it as a failure purely for its touch driven interface.

Our business is driven by useability because our target demographic are older men (generally 40 or 50+) who do not know how to maintain their system. A lot of people believe that this less tech savy demographic is going to have a hell of  time learning how to navigate their system. But with anything new, I think it may take a small amount of adjusting and once they find their browser, and office apps. Then all should be well. Although that's just my opinion :)

I personally would like to see how wi 8 unfolds as I'm still on the fence as to whether I'd upgrade or not. I honestly don't need the upgrade, so it would really be for the sake of seeing the new shiny baubble at this point.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by VirgoThree
    our target demographic are older men (generally 40 or 50+) who do not know how to maintain their system.

I'll admit that I'm a 40 to 50 year old man who doesn't yet know a great deal about Windows 8. However I sure do know about building, maintaining, and operating my own computers. And the impression I'm getting with regards to Win 8 is that it is all about trying to work within the severely limited functionality of mobile gadgets. Even if that means dumbing down the traditional desktop operating system in an attempt to maintain a similarity of the interface. All this so the idiot younger generation can tweet, text, social network, and look cool without having to learn anything different.

Frankly, I wish Microsoft would continue to support serious and efficient desktop computing. Or at least continue to clearly delineate separate markets (i.e. with Windows Moblile). And let Apple worry about taking care of the fashionistas.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

for what it's worth from a few days ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

I think that's a credible source.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Pynda

our target demographic are older men (generally 40 or 50+) who do not know how to maintain their system.

I'll admit that I'm a 40 to 50 year old man who doesn't yet know a great deal about Windows 8. However I sure do know about building, maintaining, and operating my own computers. And the impression I'm getting with regards to Win 8 is that it is all about trying to work within the severely limited functionality of mobile gadgets. Even if that means dumbing down the traditional desktop operating system in an attempt to maintain a similarity of the interface. All this so the idiot younger generation can tweet, text, social network, and look cool without having to learn anything different.

Frankly, I wish Microsoft would continue to support serious and efficient desktop computing. Or at least continue to clearly delineate separate markets (i.e. with Windows Moblile). And let Apple worry about taking care of the fashionistas.

I haven't been through the entire interface thuroughly enough yet, but from my experience so far it doesn't feel inheritently dumbed down. The desktop is still there, and explorer functionality is still there. It's just that certain GUI features are abit obfuscated at first glance. They could of done a better job making the new work flow more apparant.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastroph

This would be awesome!

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Persistent metro UI on a secondary screen with desktop on another half the problems would be solved.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

A friend had the developer preview and it seemed to run well. I didn't like the new features they added but the win7 side seemed clean and efficient. How I wish the x in osx stood for the x in direct x, one can dream.....

Originally posted by stayBlind
     Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastrophThis would be awesome!

Lies. flat out lies.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Disaster? Nope. In the end we all know the Windows trend. For every good system they make they will have a few crappy iterations between. It took windows 7 to finally move away from XP, and it will likely be Windows 9 or some different naming convention to move people up from 7.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    A lot of noise about these changes are comming from the Microsoft code shops as they are effectively throwing away the languages and API that devs have been using for 20 years to move to HTML5. I'm one of those devs, and I think it ultimately makes sense to consolidate to 1 language, it is painful ( I need to retrain over the next 2 years while still using .net at work) but better for the consumer. I am not so sure about metro apps themselves, jury is out there.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by stayBlind
     Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastrophThis would be awesome!

Lies. flat out lies.

Not flat out lies,more of not understanding what was said I think . Valve is certainly workign on a Linux client and want the whoel steam library to be available on it but they aren't totally moving to Linux only on PC's as "moving" implies.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Gosh i wonder why 2 companies who worked so hard to create their own distribution system and ingame stores hate a system with an integraded apps store and the integration of Games for Windows(which has its own market place) into the OS.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Not every iteration of Windows is a success as we all know. If Windows 8 is a failure, they will release Windows 9 lol.

However, in that article they mention that Windows can become a closed operating system. This is the worst thing that can ever happen. Please don't go the Apple way of having the need to control everything. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Drakynn

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by stayBlind  Steam is planning on moving to Linux because Windows 8 is, according to them, a catastrophThis would be awesome!
      Lies. flat out lies.
    Not flat out lies,more of not understanding what was said I think . Valve is certainly workign on a Linux client and want the whoel steam library to be available on it but they aren't totally moving to Linux only on PC's as "moving" implies.

Steam already exists on linux with the support of wine.

But with 90% of the catalogue developed on Microsoft directx technologies, Its going to be near impossible to have working products straight out the box. if ever.

Before you say "Wine", Wine never gets it right straight out of the box, its going to be a PR nightmare with people demanding refunds for purchased products not working.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Every other release is a train wreck.  98 ME XP Vista 7 8.

Not worried here, I don't ever touch dot zero tech.  Give it 2 service packs and I'll think about it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

To me W8 seems great for laptops with touchscreens and IPAD clones but my PC don´t have touchscreen which kinda makes me miss the good features so I will stay with W7 the next year at least.

Until desktop touchscreens becomes cheap (and if they becomes popular) I think most people will consider this as a mobile platform OS instead of a desktop OS.

Originally posted by XAPGames
    Every other release is a train wreck.  98 ME XP Vista 7 8. Not worried here, I don't ever touch dot zero tech.  Give it 2 service packs and I'll think about it.

Yeah great logic.. missing a few iterations there....

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

This is old news and the title is very missleading. Gabe wories that W8 will be disaster for Steam, as W8 will have its own app shop, thus rendering steam rather useless. Why would game devs put games on steam, if they can put them into app shop that is already in W8?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not worried here, I don't ever touch dot zero tech.  Give it 2 service packs and I'll think about it.

You forgot W2K, it was great and I was rather sad when direct X forced me to use XP instead. 2K was incredible stable.

ME was the worst dud ever, they never bothered to fix it up, a buddy of mine called Msupport half a year or so after release and asked when they were going to fix the memory leak issue (when you cut and pasted the memory never cleared) and were told to buy the new W2K instead...

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I think it is unlikely that touch screen will enter the internal corporate desktop world until we move to duel pad & monitor. Keyboard & monitor is more efficient to use. Microsoft also clouds as the way forward e.g office 365, which is good, but a lot of corporate apps and processes represent real unique value and they will never go into a public cloud ( or open source). So there remains a need to have a home for rich client apps somewhere.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Loke666

You forgot W2K, it was great and I was rather sad when direct X forced me to use XP instead. 2K was incredible stable.

ME was the worst dud ever, they never bothered to fix it up, a buddy of mine called Msupport half a year or so after release and asked when they were going to fix the memory leak issue (when you cut and pasted the memory never cleared) and were told to buy the new W2K instead...

Windows 98 was actually pretty good. Windows 95 was a dissaster. Basically, Windows 98 is what win95 should have been, just like Windows 7 is what Windows Vista should have been.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP were good OS'es too. At the moment Windows XP is still the most popular and most used OS.

I have taken a test drive on Windows 8 for some time and at first I didn't like it either, but after some time it grew on me and actually started to like it. The release candidate is extremely stable and the games performed really well (after NVidia got their act together and released proper drivers ofcourse, which wasn't until last month).

The guy from VALVE is only ranting because their Steam App didn't get approved for the Metro environment!

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Pynda

+1 on this.

To be frank, old farts or us near old fart status see this touch screen crap and cringe, whos grand idea was it to alienate the core customers that have been buying your products for the last 20 odd years? Leave the hipster social media crap to Apple.

Give me a prompt with powerful commands, I would pay good coin for a dos like OS that didnt have compatibility issues.