Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Oh how I HATE thee!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by psycros

We now know that PvE players are abandoning EVE in droves. 

I didn't get that memo.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

And they say that missions are dull and not challenging...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I didn't get that memo.

The definition of "droves" has changed on the forums.  It now means, "me, myself and I".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Mothanos

There are Corperations that hunt pirates also !!!

its a dog eat dog world  ;)

Always loved so called "anti-pirates".  All bark, no bite.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by Quirhid

Majority of players I encountered in Eve told me they didn't play Eve because it was good, but because there was nothing else and it was "good enough". It has its faults.

Of course it has it's faults, what game doesn't.  While I think Eve is a great game what does the "good enough" sentiment say about all those so called "AAA" mmorpg's?

-- Herman Melville

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Eve = Econonomics, the MMO. Its not a game, its an economics lesson. If you enjoy that kinda thing, you will enjoy Eve. If not, you wont. Oh, and its HARD. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

I have subbed to this game 3 times since 2010, and never lasted more than a week before rage quiting and cancelling my 1 month subscription and wasting $15.

Here is my story....

I have been playing MMOs since 1999 and PcGames since 1992, and most recently I have been enjoying Freelancer on the Discovery 24/7 RP server/MOD with 200+ player plus multiplayer in a 24/7 persistant world.

Because of this, I got into the mood for space games even more and decided to give EVE Online yet another try.

I resubbed and noticed I had 3 million ISK which is not much in this gaem of Billionaires, but fitted my Catalyst Destoryer and attempted 3 different missions all with the same result...FAILURE.

No matter how I outfitted the Catalyst and later the recommended Frigate for these missions, the enemy in this LEVEL 1 missions did so much damage to me and I so little damage to them I had to run away. Lost my Catalyst and all its fittings including several weapons. I do not recall having this much difficulty the previous 2 times. This ship had all its weapon slots filled, etc etc and could do no damage!

Even after I switched to a recommended Frigate the same thing happened. I spoke to member of my corp and they could not make ends of it either.

Thus, after  spendng 2 of my 3 million ISK it was time to give up, as 1 million os not enough and there was no way og making money at this point doing missions. 

The nature of EVE is that even when you know how to use the EVE UI, if you leave for an extended time you will have to relearn it and thats a fact. Its like it has a life and mind of its own. What seemingly works one moment a certain way, doesnt in teh next. What seems logical at one moment, is illogical the next. IMHO any interface that is not intuitive and instead seemingly only efficient for Icelanders needs work.

Dont get me wrong, I want to love EVE Online and it seems its what every space junkie is looking for..their dream game. But if that was true we all would be playing it instead of games such as Freelancer, SINS, X3, etc etc.

For it is not a space junkies dream, it is a nightmare for most who try it and a dream for the minoruty who do.

The frustration is so paramount in this game that it ruins your mindset for the whole weekend and makes you wonder with punishment such as EVE, who needs electroshock therapy.

I wish they would make a Freelancer MMO, Eve is about as close as I have seen.  But Eve doesn't let you expore the solar system like you can in Freelancer and of course Freelancer has the dog fighting type combat.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

One of the things I love about EVE is that it is two entirely different things to get into a ship, and being able to fly it well. Rather like getting your first driving license and immediately getting behind the wheel of a Gran Prix racer. Sure you know how to steer and use the brakes, but the odds of surviving the first lap at speed are not good.

It took 76 days for training to get into a  Tech 2 Cruiser on a new character, but a further 40some days before I had the skills to use all its systems and even mount the fit. Then of course I start training for the next ship class on my list... :)

• RaxiRaxi Member Posts: 2

I didn't get that memo.

Just like all the doom sayers have been shouting the last 9 years   - Clearly they are all leaving!

Originally posted by Raxi

I didn't get that memo.

Just like all the doom sayers have been shouting the last 9 years   - Clearly they are all leaving!

The PVE players ARE the PVP players in EVE, they are just on an alt.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So its like WoW then. (My god, can you even conceive two games more different?)

Oh wait, we're still carrying a "WoW is dying" thread on first page. Guess we'll have to try back on that one again later, too.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

I didn't get that memo.

The PVE players ARE the PVP players in EVE, they are just on an alt.

^^ QFT    

I seriously wonder how many EVE players have more than 1 account, a Miner/Manufacturer, and a seperate PvP

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Oh wait, we're still carrying a "WoW is dying" thread on first page. Guess we'll have to try back on that one again later, too.

LOL, You can't compare WoW with EVE!

Keep on rockin'!image

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Phry

made my day, the bit where someone fails to do a level 1 mission in a destroyer of all things.. priceless, that level of failness just isnt possible, its like, your riding a bicycle with stabilisers on and you still managed to fall over... i can only guess at the fits used to achieve this.. maybe the OP was using mining lasers...  but.. no just not possible.. you cannot fail a level 1 mission in a destroyer.. even a level 2 mission would only give you a bit of trouble in one.. so i have to call BS on this one, it can't be true.. image

Worlds Collide Lvl 1 is a royal pain, it will pop a destroyer, in fact I only ever felt comfortable running it with more then one person or in an assualt ship and even then it got to be a bit close and I have way more SP and experience then he does. IF he pulled that mission then it is very possible to lose several ships on it. I generally tell newer players to reject that mission unless they are solidly comfortable with their setup.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Mentioning WoW in an Eve forum is akin to treason.  Bite your tounge.

-- Herman Melville

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I wish they would make a Freelancer MMO

This is where I write the obligatory "Have you tried Vendetta Online?" post:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/some-assembly-required-a-look-at-vendetta-online/

As a caveat I've never played Freelancer, but I hear the two compared too often to ignore.  Yes, it is my game of choice, no, I have nothing against Eve, and I hope both games continue to thrive.  Eve probably has 1000x the population of VO (if numbers are to be believed), however VO is also 1/20th the size of Eve in terms of data (~4GB vs ~220MB).  That doesn't mean there's nothing to see: I've spent a total of 47 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes, and 41 seconds jacked in to that world, and probably twice that length of time on the Test Server.  Both games appear to be pretty deep.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz I wish they would make a Freelancer MMO

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/some-assembly-required-a-look-at-vendetta-online/

As a caveat I've never played Freelancer, but I hear the two compared too often to ignore.  Yes, it is my game of choice, no, I have nothing against Eve, and I hope both games continue to thrive.  Eve probably has 1000x the population of VO (if numbers are to be believed), however VO is also 1/20th the size of Eve in terms of data (~4GB vs ~220MB).  That doesn't mean there's nothing to see: I've spent a total of 47 days, 8 hours, 47 minutes, and 41 seconds jacked in to that world, and probably twice that length of time on the Test Server.  Both games appear to be pretty deep.

In the same spirit, I would also remind Taikodom

http://www.gamersfirst.com/taikodom/
    http://www.taikodom.com.br/

Although it seems like international version seem to be in closed beta as of now...

Originally posted by Phaserlight

I wish they would make a Freelancer MMO

I have not tried Vendetta, I did try black prophecy for a bit.

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

EVE Online is the only game where I had to watch a youtube tutorial to understand what the ingame tutorial was about !!

Ouch :)

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

I have subbed to this game 3 times since 2010, and never lasted more than a week before rage quiting and cancelling my 1 month subscription and wasting $15.

Here is my story....

I have been playing MMOs since 1999 and PcGames since 1992, and most recently I have been enjoying Freelancer on the Discovery 24/7 RP server/MOD with 200+ player plus multiplayer in a 24/7 persistant world.

Because of this, I got into the mood for space games even more and decided to give EVE Online yet another try.

I resubbed and noticed I had 3 million ISK which is not much in this gaem of Billionaires, but fitted my Catalyst Destoryer and attempted 3 different missions all with the same result...FAILURE.

No matter how I outfitted the Catalyst and later the recommended Frigate for these missions, the enemy in this LEVEL 1 missions did so much damage to me and I so little damage to them I had to run away. Lost my Catalyst and all its fittings including several weapons. I do not recall having this much difficulty the previous 2 times. This ship had all its weapon slots filled, etc etc and could do no damage!

Even after I switched to a recommended Frigate the same thing happened. I spoke to member of my corp and they could not make ends of it either.

Thus, after  spendng 2 of my 3 million ISK it was time to give up, as 1 million os not enough and there was no way og making money at this point doing missions. 

The nature of EVE is that even when you know how to use the EVE UI, if you leave for an extended time you will have to relearn it and thats a fact. Its like it has a life and mind of its own. What seemingly works one moment a certain way, doesnt in teh next. What seems logical at one moment, is illogical the next. IMHO any interface that is not intuitive and instead seemingly only efficient for Icelanders needs work.

Dont get me wrong, I want to love EVE Online and it seems its what every space junkie is looking for..their dream game. But if that was true we all would be playing it instead of games such as Freelancer, SINS, X3, etc etc.

For it is not a space junkies dream, it is a nightmare for most who try it and a dream for the minoruty who do.

The frustration is so paramount in this game that it ruins your mindset for the whole weekend and makes you wonder with punishment such as EVE, who needs electroshock therapy.

...what the hell did you put on those ships that made you lose to a level 1 mission? Would you be able to post the ship fits and mention which NPC races you were going against in those missions?

Where's the any key?

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

...what the hell did you put on those ships that made you lose to a level 1 mission? Would you be able to post the ship fits and mention which NPC races you were going against in those missions?

Like I said before it was probably a LvL 1 worlds collide, its by far the most difficult lvl 1 missions and can easily pop a destroyer or T1 frigate.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Here is my story....

Odd the Catalyst is pretty OP,  I have actually done T3 missions solo in a T2 fit CAt .. . Level 1 missions, I can almost sleep through in a Cat.

I am not trying to give you the standard L2P response, however I have to feel that either skills or fit or both had to be whack for you to not survive a level 1 mission in  a destroyer.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Try Star Trek Online, its space combat is better than EVE and you don't get blown to bits for laughs.  I tried EVE, ran a mining hulk and was kind of having fun until hulkageddon came around.  I left because it was too complex, I wanted to play a game not a tax return.   If you like space games so much, STO is the way to go, its free to play so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.

• deugemietdeugemiet Member Posts: 82

I played eve-online from 2004-2012 and created several accounts. Before deciding if i want to buy a new subscription, after an idle period, i often create a trialaccount to see what's going on in eve.

So i played many times lvl 1 mission. If i look into your problem i would say:

Fly at 20km+ distances from the npc's with a speedfit (afterburner/overdrive/speed rig). High speed will avoid damage. Fix your overview so you can see the topspeed and distance of the npc's. We call the npc's 'rats'.

Use a ship that can hit the rats from 20km and higher. Think about a Minmatarship with howitzers or a  Caldariship with missiles. Railguns for the catalyst is not a good idea. The damage output and the range for small railguns are bad in your situation.

If you still receive a lot of damage then use kiting. Hit and run. Recover while you run. Do this over and over again. Use all necesary shipslots, including rigs.

Use this  guide:

http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

If you keep losing ships you probably didnt read the guide well.

And join a corp that can help you to get a cruiser instead of an frigate/destroyer. Cruisers can tank a lot of more damage. Let people from your corp join you, let them kill the spawn, till you get mission you can do at your own.

Perhaps look for a different agent from another race or fleet.

If you can't find a suitable agent then keep training all necesary skills and hunt rats in 0.5 systems. Pick up abandoned loot from other people (be cautioned) and sell the stuff on the market. In 2 weeks you will have enough isks at your own to buy a cruiser.

Don't give up. After 2-3 months you are able to fly a battleship. At least a battlecruiser. And they're suitable to run lvl 4 missions.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Mondo80

Try Star Trek Online, its space combat is better than EVE and you don't get blown to bits for laughs.  I tried EVE, ran a mining hulk and was kind of having fun until hulkageddon came around.  I left because it was too complex, I wanted to play a game not a tax return.   If you like space games so much, STO is the way to go, its free to play so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.

All a matter of preference I suppose,  I tried STO but it bored me to tears.

EVE is more of a SIm , whereas STO is more of a themeparked version of space MMO. again, personal taste.  I personally found the complexity and danger of EVE the thing I liked the most, that Danger makes it exciting.

S