Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game has no world pvp?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Originally posted by otacu
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

As for the instancing.. I will be surprised if it doesn't end up following the same setup as the rest of the game with queues and instances.  We shall see in a few months.

"We shall see in a few months" won't save you here.

You simply are wrong on WvWvW being instanced.

"WvWvW is instanced" is different than "WvWvW will be converted to instance in the future" 

(the first is simple falsehood the second is a very farfetched opinion)

And it was clear you didn't even know the basics of the game ... yet you were insisting arguing on and on about it like you were some kind of expert.

You know ... sometimes when people correct you is not because they like to annoy you.... it's because you are simply wrong.

I can claim Mortal Online is instanced pvp.

After the  "No it's not instanced" i can just reply "We shall see in a few months"

:)

No.  It's really simple you see.   The WvWvW IS instanced.  Your world travels to a different one everytime the "matches" start.  You are NOT in the same one.  You travel and fight in a different INSTANCE of the Mists with 2 different worlds.   When the game starts there would seem to be 1/3 the number of INSTANCES of WvW as there are servers.  That ratio can change at anytime the devs want to add more for overflow. 

You seem quite insistant about quite a few things, and seem to think that agressively responding with varying font sizes somehow changes the factual content.  It doesn't.

So.. please simply explain to me... if you travel to a different copy of The Mists each time, and join different servers in this new copy each time... how can that NOT be instanced?  The fact that your server can only access one of these instances at a time does not change the fact that you are playing on one of many instances nor does it change the fact that you play on a different one each time.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Whyhate

Who really cares if the WwW is instanced or not?

It certainly isn't open world PVP.

However that's not a bad thing, open world PVP would never work in a game like GW2 with Dynamic Events, instant teleporting, it would also have to be FFA due to the lack of factions, and the lack of consequences for dying would make it a gankfest.

Yup... I agree.  It would be really... really hard to make Open World PvP work in a game like GW2.  Let's hope that what they have implemented in it's place remains fresh and fun a few months down the line.  I am certainly tired of looking for new games every few months.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

As for the instancing.. I will be surprised if it doesn't end up following the same setup as the rest of the game with queues and instances.  We shall see in a few months.

"WvWvW is instanced" is different than "WvWvW will be converted to instance in the future" 

And it was clear you didn't even know the basics of the game ... yet you were insisting arguing on and on about it like you were some kind of expert.

You know ... sometimes when people correct you is not because they like to annoy you.... it's because you are simply wrong.

After the  "No it's not instanced" i can just reply "We shall see in a few months"

No.  It's really simple you see.   The WvWvW IS instanced.  Your world travels to a different one everytime the "matches" start.  You are NOT in the same one.  You travel and fight in a different INSTANCE of the Mists with 2 different worlds.   When the game starts there would seem to be 1/3 the number of INSTANCES of WvW as there are servers.  That ratio can change at anytime the devs want to add more for overflow. 

You seem quite insistant about quite a few things, and seem to think that agressively responding with varying font sizes somehow changes the factual content.  It doesn't.

So.. please simply explain to me... if you travel to a different copy of The Mists each time, and join different servers in this new copy each time... how can that NOT be instanced?  The fact that your server can only access one of these instances at a time does not change the fact that you are playing on one of many instances nor does it change the fact that you play on a different one each time.

again wrong. 

you are taking macro and not the micro.

every 3 servers got 1 map to fight in, one. thats all, if you go to any of those 3 servers, you will be in the same exact map. not a copy, not an overflow, nothing. same map.

if you switch server, you will have the same map with 3 different servers fighting for control over it.

you are now taking the subject out of context trying to say that becasue we have many servers its a copy. that is wrong because the subject is about your world. your world is your server. you have one map for your server. 

i would ./ but with you. you just keep banging your head on thr well no matter how many times people here have already corrected you. and now as i said you are looking for a new way to stand behind your wrong logic.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

Originally posted by biogerm

again wrong. 

every 3 servers got 1 map to fight in, one. thats all, if you go to any of those 3 servers, you will be in the same exact map. not a copy, not an overflow, nothing. same map.

if you switch server, you will have the same map with 3 different servers fighting for control over it.

you are now taking the subject out of context trying to say that becasue we have many servers its a copy. that is wrong because the subject is about your world. your world is your server. you have one map for your server. 

At any given time.  However this is one of 8+ instances of the same WvWvW map.. and each time we reset the map we end up on a different instance of that.  So yes, we will play on one instance for a day, and then tomorrow we will be on another instance.

i would ./ but with you. you just keep banging your head on thr well no matter how many times people here have already corrected you. and now as i said you are looking for a new way to stand behind your wrong logic.

No. On Monday I will be on instance A with Teams from 2 servers.   The next day I may be on another instance with different servers.   At any given times there are say 24 servers, all of which are instnces of the same world.  Then there are 8 WvW instances where 3 of those servers fight.  We are simply on one of those instances at any given time.   This really isn't a hard concept.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Here we go again

Listen.... words have meaning: the word "instance" has a meaning. You cannot change it. 2+2 is 4 no matter how much struggle. I can only laugh at your trying to make it 2+2=5

Just let it go man.

You are wrong.

You kept telling a lie (wvwvw being instanced) and even insisted arguing on when you didn't even know that there are no multiple instances of the WvWvW areas no matter how many people queue for it.

WvW is instanced, it also has things like population caps per side, queues (before you get teleported to the INSTANCE) and I believe you will also be able to play WvW on OTHER instances when yours is full.  It simply won't count for the WvW game score. 

I will just leave this here...

Repetita Iuvant

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area

Do you get a second instance if you get over the map capacity? NO. You stay out of it. The game doesn't generate a new one (like you claimed lol) like it does for battlegrounds and dungeons.

Simple as that.

I find it quite funny how you try to negate even evident things. But sometimes you just have to accept the facts: you are wrong.

Here we go again

Listen.... words have meaning: the word "instance" has a meaning. You cannot change it. 2+2 is 4 no matter how much struggle. I can only laugh at your trying to make it 2+2=5

Just let it go man.

You are wrong.

You kept telling a lie (wvwvw being instanced) and even insisted arguing on when you didn't even know that there are no multiple instances of the WvWvW areas no matter how many people queue for it.

WvW is instanced, it also has things like population caps per side, queues (before you get teleported to the INSTANCE) and I believe you will also be able to play WvW on OTHER instances when yours is full.  It simply won't count for the WvW game score. 

I will just leave this here...

Repetita Iuvant

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area

Do you get a second instance if you get over the map capacity? NO. You stay out of it. The game doesn't generate a new one (like you claimed lol) like it does for battlegrounds and dungeons.

Simple as that.

I find it quite funny how you try to negate even evident things. But sometimes you just have to accept the facts: you are wrong.

Again.. agressive posting with pictures does not change the factual content.  Simply re-read my post, there is no point in my restating it.  If you do not understand it the first time you would not understand it any better if it were repeated.

again wrong. 

Isn't he funny how bangs his head again and again and again?

Next time he will tell us it's instanced because there are different copies for multiple servers.

aaaaand....

No. On Monday I will be on instance A with Teams from 2 servers.   The next day I may be on another instance with different servers.   At any given times there are say 24 servers, all of which are instnces of the same world.  Then there are 8 WvW instances where 3 of those servers fight.  We are simply on one of those instances at any given time.   This really isn't a hard concept.

He just did it! Congratulations!

This is getting hilarious.

• VanadromArdaVanadromArda Member Posts: 445

I explained this in deep detail in one of my articles here of MMORPG. The idea of the Mists is that it's three worlds colliding every 2 weeks (during launch, it will be 24 hour periods in order to start giving servers ranks for the two week events). These are not instanced maps, each server gets a Borderland Map. The reason why the Borderland Maps are identical is because they are supposed to be three different realities, each owned by a single server and cannot relinquish that control to another server.

You cannot take away someone's reality, merely lay claim to many of the points within. After two weeks, the war ends and the realities split apart to collide with another set of realities (servers). The two unique maps they also fight over is Eternal Battlegrounds and the Underground Puzzle.

None of these maps are ever instanced. They have a set population limit of 1000+ players. Once they reach that limit they put players in Queue, they do not create another space.

By trying to argue each Borderland is an instance is just blind ignorance, because each Borderland is not a perfect copy. Only a single server owns the Citadel and can never lose control over that Citadel. Each Borderland provides a Citadel to a different server. This Citadel is their homebase of opperations is their biggest haven against invasion.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

Why are you guys arguing about something so pointless? Guild wars 2 does not have OWorld PvP in the usual sense (standard MMO standards) and IT will NEVER have it. The people that are looking for that AND only that are looking at the wrong game. Guild wars 2 does however, have PvP in a persistent map that pits 3 servers against each other. If WvW does not suit your needs or want that is fine, I hear a lot of games have what you are looking for.

Guild wars 2 WILL not be everything to everybody, a good game know its target audience and plays to that target audience. if you are looking for ONLY that aspect in an MMO, then go play the TERA or the other games that have it.

But it goes back to my original point, arguing about it is pointless. After 39+ pages it should be apparent that people are gonna define world PvP to suit a very specific definition i.e their favorite mmo in the past they cannot seem to let go and arguing about their definition is a waste of time.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Rivalen

I wonder how many people will answer with the definition of WvWvW before people realize he just wanted to make it clear that GW2 doesn't have open world and therefore he won't be playing it.

I wonder how many times we'll be seeing posts like these (which most people know when they go read the note post about features in these very same forums) until people will actually check all available data or at least google something beforehand. Am I wrong in the assumption the googling really isn't that difficult?

So one has to wonder, was the OP posting something that everyone already knows or was he posting for some other reason, say to get a flame response?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by silvermember

Why are you guys arguing about something so pointless? Guild wars 2 does not have OWorld PvP in the usual sense (standard MMO standards) and IT will NEVER have it. The people that are looking for that AND only that are looking at the wrong game. Guild wars 2 does however, have PvP in a persistent map that pits 3 servers against each other. If WvW does not suit your needs or want that is fine, I hear a lot of games have what you are looking for.

Guild wars 2 WILL not be everything to everybody, a good game know its target audience and plays to that target audience. if you are looking for ONLY that aspect in an MMO, then go play the TERA or the other games that have it.

But it goes back to my original point, arguing about it is pointless. After 39+ pages it should be apparent that people are gonna define world PvP to suit a very specific definition i.e their favorite mmo in the past they cannot seem to let go and arguing about their definition is a waste of time.

Next they will be whining that there's no pvp centric gear that gives an unfair advantage to a pvper that has been dieing longer then anyone else on the field. Completely agree with you btw.

Originally posted by TemperHoof

I explained this in deep detail in one of my articles here of MMORPG. The idea of the Mists is that it's three worlds colliding every 2 weeks (during launch, it will be 24 hour periods in order to start giving servers ranks for the two week events). These are not instanced maps, each server gets a Borderland Map. The reason why the Borderland Maps are identical is because they are supposed to be three different realities, each owned by a single server and cannot relinquish that control to another server.

You cannot take away someone's reality, merely lay claim to many of the points within. After two weeks, the war ends and the realities split apart to collide with another set of realities (servers). The two unique maps they also fight over is Eternal Battlegrounds and the Underground Puzzle.

None of these maps are ever instanced. They have a set population limit of 1000+ players. Once they reach that limit they put players in Queue, they do not create another space.

By trying to argue each Borderland is an instance is just blind ignorance, because each Borderland is not a perfect copy. Only a single server owns the Citadel and can never lose control over that Citadel. Each Borderland provides a Citadel to a different server. This Citadel is their homebase of opperations is their biggest haven against invasion.

Quite good article.

Interesting read. You wrote about quite a few fine details i didn't noticed. Thanks.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Heres a map of Guild Wars 2

http://www.gw2db.com/map

No where on this world map is the Borderlands or The Mists.

So, where is the Borderlands? Can I seamlessly walk from Lion's Arch to the Borderlands that doesnt involve teleporting there?

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Heres a map of Guild Wars 2

No where on this world map is the Borderlands or The Mists.

So, where is the Borderlands? Can I seamlessly walk from Lion's Arch to the Borderlands that doesnt involve teleporting there?

No.. there will be about 8 versions (instances) of the Mists at launch (US).  Your server will be paired up with 2 other servers and will fight on that instance of the Mists.  After a day, the instances will reset and you will pair up with 2 other servers on another instance of The Mists.   Eventually these instances will last for 2 weeks or so.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Illium? That's insulting, it's pretty much DAoC frontiers, wich were the reason DAoC was had the best PvP ever.

Originally posted by Sideras

Illium? That's insulting, it's pretty much DAoC frontiers, wich were the reason DAoC was had the best PvP ever.

it's DAoC frontiers with everyone insta-leveled to 80, but those frontiers reset every so often (1 day to two weeks), and you fight different people each time and no DarknessFalls.

Those are some critical differences, we shall see if they prove to be improvements.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

If the 0.0 space in EVE would be reset after every 2 weeks to its initial blank state, would you still call it an Open World?

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Answer to the OP would be NO

But people please, learn the difference beetween persistent and instanced. Every MMORPG shut down its servers once in a week or two due to maintenance or whatever and it doesnt make a particular MMO world instanced, which by that logic Mists would be. image

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

If the 0.0 space in EVE would be reset after every 2 weeks to its initial blank state, would you still call it an Open World?

Probably... never played EvE, so i dont know. Can i meet other people there without inviting them into party? Does it stay online even if i abandon it?

If at least one answer on my question is "yes" then probably i would. Maybe it does feel like instance, but it is still persistent online area or "open" how many like to call it.

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

No one calling it n "open world" pvp, the thread had been derailed for a while now.

its not, its a zone within the game.

the only issue is that one guy keep calling wvw instance, and its not.

people has deconstructed his argument now for over several pages, and that person hes not come to an agreement with the facts.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak If the 0.0 space in EVE would be reset after every 2 weeks to its initial blank state, would you still call it an Open World?  

No one calling it n "open world" pvp, the thread had been derailed for a while now.

Ah, so it is a non-instanced zone in the game world.

Where is it and how do I walk there?

Heres the map, please point it out.

Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak If the 0.0 space in EVE would be reset after every 2 weeks to its initial blank state, would you still call it an Open World?  

Lol, what are you looking for would be like wanting from someone to explain how you go from Booty Bay to Ratchet in WoW by walking (or better yet, swimming). Theoretically you cant. That still doesnt make neither Kalimdor nor Eastern Kingdoms instanced areas.

Anyway you have portals in Lions Arch that leads to Eternal Battlegrounds so i hope that can maybe be the answer to your question :)

Originally posted by dzoni87

Lol, what are you looking for would be like wanting from someone to explain how you go from Booty Bay to Ratchet in WoW by walking (or better yet, swimming). Theoretically you cant. That still doesnt make neither Kalimdor nor Eastern Kingdoms instanced areas.

Anyway you have portals in Lions Arch that leads to Eternal Battlegrounds so i hope that can maybe be the answer to your question :)

people have also explined that even in EVE you cant go from zone to zone by sub light speed. some people here just cant say "i was wrong"

btw, if no ships in eve are in a zone, does the zone is still there? same can be said to any mmorpg.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

For open PvP to work, and work well, the WHOLE game needs to be designed around that, you cant just flip a switch on a few servers and expect it to work out well, and be a fulfilling and meaningful experience. 

This is a concept level decision, one made before any actual work on the game is done.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

btw, if no ships in eve are in a zone, does the zone is still there? same can be said to any mmorpg.

Something like a zone does not exist on a computer. Its a set of services, objects and datasets on client and server. Some are persistent, some are not. The terms instance and persistence are defined differently in IT and Gaming. Actually there is no valid common definition for games. This is one reason for the dispute here.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds