Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many copies did this sell?

kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Anyone know? Just curious, trying to gauge its popularity.

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by kanezfan
    Anyone know? Just curious, trying to gauge its popularity.

I dont know. But i can tell you they are looking at a target of 500k subs.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by stragen001
    Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

How so? its only a day pass

Lets also not forget that alot of people dumped $260 for life time subs.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• morbitangelmorbitangel Member UncommonPosts: 70

seriously a 1 day trial and youre already doing the doom&gloom thing? lmfao

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

There's no way to know yet... it's a bit too soon to tell.

They said something like 450k subs is their target. It's totally possible they may have sold 450k copies of the game (seems a bit high of an estimate though) - but I'm not sure they'd be able to pull off 450k subs by next month.

The game simply didn't have enough marketing behind it to pull off those kinds of initial sales numbers. While the reviews were good, and player reviews say it's great, it never reached the hype status of "OMGWTF - THIS IS THE BEST MMORPG EVER!" that Rift, SWTOR, and GW2 achieved.

Everyone I've talked to has either never heard of this game, or still thinks it's in beta.

Originally posted by morbitangel

There is a long history of it with MMOs. IF TSW had sold millions of copies and had millions of subs, they would not be offering a free trial. MMOs only start offering free trials when they arent doing well. 

There is a long history of it with MMOs. IF TSW had sold millions of copies and had millions of subs, they would not be offering a free trial. MMOs only start offering free trials when they arent doing well. 

Like World of Warcraft...

Originally posted by Bhorzo

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but yes, exactly like world of warcraft. Their sub numbers start declining, they introduce a free trial. 

Originally posted by stragen001 Well they are already offering free trials and its not even a month since launch, so I reckon its not doing so well......

That's where your logic fails. There only looking at 500k because they recognize they have a niche product...

They are going to offset this with cashshop purchases so the best way to gauge success would be the funcom financial reports..

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Still better than TOR.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It's all about marketing, we live in a gaming industry where it's really saturated with F2Ps, B2Ps and P2Ps, developers need to get their game out there and into the publics eye no matter what type of advertisement they do.

Every game now has a trial or a buddy key, so to say that any  game is not doing well is just non sense with in the first 6 months and just players making their best assumption on what the majority thinks.

We all kinda knew where SWToR wanted to be in 6 months, the same will follow with TSW, GW2 and even PS2.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Offering a free trial right after release is nothing but a smart business move. It's how you attract new players that you would not normally attract. It does not mean it's a sign of a failing game. I personally don't play this game but i will most likely try to the free trail to see if its a fit for me. If not for the free trail i would prolly pass on this game and not look back. After getting burned on D3 i dont think i will every buy another online game without testing the waters first.

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but yes, exactly like world of warcraft. Their sub numbers start declining, they introduce a free trial. 

1) Warcraft has sold millions of copies, and has millions of subscribers, they are doing well, but they are still offering a free trial.

2) As for declining subs... no one has actually paid even 1 month of sub fees yet - so it's impossible for TSW's subs to be declining.

edit: clarity

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by proponent

Still better than TOR.

agreed...tried the trial for SWTOR thinking, maybe when I first played it I missed something...the graphics are not great, movement is weird, mouse look is super sensitve on lowest speeds and the combat is just plain boring....not to mention the pick up skills you have no choice over.  I think i played for maybe 30 minutes and realized why I never bought it to begin with.

1) Warcraft has sold millions of copies, and has millions of subscribers, they are doing well, but they are still offering a free trial.

2) As for declining subs... no one has actually paid even 1 month of sub fees yet - so it's impossible for TSW's subs to be declining.

1: But they are losing subs on a consistent basis, hence introducing a free trial to try to entice more people to play. Then when that didnt work so well and subs continued to decline they introduced an "unlimited" free trial. SWTOR has done the same thing. 

2: Funcom knows. They can see how many people have already cancelled their subscription and therefore wont be paying any sub fees once the free month is up.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

I think that TSW is doing quite well but it never meant to be a WoW killer :) Speaking of trials - if I was a MMO company CEO I'd introduce this kind of thing right away. It does not hurt customers and will probably bring more people to the game. As a customer I want to see and try a product before purchasing it. If 10 000 people tries TSW and even 100 decides to buy it then it's a pure win for everyone - FC gets some coin and community new members.

1: But they are losing subs on a consistent basis, hence introducing a free trial to try to entice more people to play. Then when that didnt work so well and subs continued to decline they introduced an "unlimited" free trial. SWTOR has done the same thing. 

2: Funcom knows. They can see how many people have already cancelled their subscription and therefore wont be paying any sub fees once the free month is up.

A free trial is used to get more players. It's advertising. What game doesn't want more players? Whether a game is doing well (like WOW) or doing poorly - they still will always want more players.

The fact that a game is advertising can't be used as the benchmark for whether or not it's doing well. Even if your subs are growing, you still want a free trial - because hey, more money is MORE MONEY! And everyone wants more money. Basic economics.

Every time you see a Coca-Cola or Apple advertisement on TV, do you think to yourself "Oh shit, Coke and Apple must be doing really badly since they have TV advertisements!"? Of course not.

The only difference between free trials and other types of adversiting, is that for a free trial to work, your game actually has to be reasonably good. It's a sign that the developers have faith in their product being liked by consumers.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

lmfao, got to love the gw2 posters frantic posts.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

All I know is that TSW has the most populated world of any mmo I've played. People are everywhere deminsions are full.  I have to stretch my chat pannel from the top of the screen to the bottom to keep up with all the LFM. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Keushpuppy

lmfao, got to love the gw2 posters frantic posts.

Not even a weekend... 

Originally posted by bcbully
    All I know is that TSW has the most populated world of any mmo I've played. People are everywhere deminsions are full.  I have to stretch my chat pannel from the top of the screen to the bottom to keep up with all the LFM.  

Either that or the list is bugged, /chuckle :P

People need to remeber TSW is a graphical powerhouse. It flat out wont play on some rigs.

I gave my long time IRL casual gaming friend a 24 hour buddy pass to see if he could play it on his laptop. He was getting rdy to leave swtor to play with our other friend and myself.  It would work for him. He needs to upgrade from his WoW era laptop ;) W/o the 24 hour pass he would of bought and been SOL..

Good move imo.

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by bcbully

Either that or the list is bugged, /chuckle :P

Oooh the full sever list? lol bugged like my character sheet says I have 99% crit? ;)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Does it matter how many copies sell? Is you fun predicated on the box sales?

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Actually I'm thinking if they will open new dimensions for free trial? Most seem to be full whole weekends and evenings and I wasn't even able to create an alt to my dimension at first. Had to do it early in the morning.