Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW First Month Celebration: Play for Free August 3-6th

RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

FC announced an event they are having next week during their live stream earlier today.  These are the specifics:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1304351#post1304351

We want to share the joy with as many people as possible! Any player, who has any type of The Secret World account, may join us over the weekend to celebrate our first month! Early Access, Inactive Accounts, and Beta Accounts may all join in! If you do not currently have an account for The Secret World, you may register to participate starting today, Friday, July 27th, to have open access to this special celebration weekend! You may download the game here.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

We posted the same time (mine was 40 seconds earlier!) but changed mine so people can use yours :)

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I guess they mean Monday, August 6th and not Monday, August 7th

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Dakirn

We posted the same time (mine was 40 seconds earlier!) but changed mine so people can use yours :)

Ah, you beat me to it.  Should have left yours in place, and they could have locked this one since it came second.  :)

And I'm guessing Nasa is correct, it'll likely end the 6th.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Woo!  Now people can really try out the game.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Cool now I can try it out once again.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

it says new people can register but now how or where, i just finished downloading the game, do any of you know how brand new people register an account for the free weekend?

• xRaZAxxRaZAx Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by happydan20

it says new people can register but now how or where, i just finished downloading the game, do any of you know how brand new people register an account for the free weekend?

Go to TSW main page:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Look at the right side of the web page

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

well, im really stupid, thanks!

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

celebrating what? I will check the game in about 6 months or so; aint touching it anytime soon; news scream 'we need more subs"

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue

celebrating what? I will check the game in about 6 months or so; aint touching it anytime soon; news scream 'we need more subs"

Celebrating the fact that they are losing many of us who have finished everything and not entered our CC information yet (or just havent enter our CC yet), so they are hoping that we are blown away by the August update ;) Im not flaming here, I am being serious....this is exactly what DDO did, too. And a few other MMOs that have gone F2P.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

It screams "Our game is good enough to let people try it without paying for it! That's how certain we are that they will like it and buy it!"

It's the shitty crappy games that don't give away free trials, since people will try it and realize it's crap, and will never buy. Only devs who are confident in their product will do free trials at this stage of a game.

It's basic logic.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Bhorzo

It screams "Our game is good enough to let people try it without paying for it! That's how certain we are that they will like it and buy it!"

It's the shitty crappy games that don't give away free trials, since people will try it and realize it's crap, and will never buy. Only devs who are confident in their product will do free trials at this stage of a game.

It's basic logic.

No sir, you are wrong. This is an attempt to get more subs. And there is nothing wrong with that. None of what you said made any sense AT ALL unless you are being sarcastic....and if so then it flew right over my head...

Originally posted by TCTC

It's basic logic.

No sir, you are wrong. This is an attempt to get more subs. And there is nothing wrong with that. None of what you said made any sense AT ALL unless you are being sarcastic....and if so then it flew right over my head...

What I'm saying is that if they're giving out free trials 1 month into the game, that means that the devs are very confident about their game, and believe it's a high quality product that people will want to buy. It's a form of advertising, yes, to get more subs.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Why is it losing so many subs before the first month is up?   Even in Twitch TV there is not as many broadcasting as there use to be and on x-fire it has dropped out of the top 25 games.    So what is up?

• AborAbor Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by TCTC

It's basic logic.

What I'm saying is that if they're giving out free trials 1 month into the game, that means that the devs are very confident about their game, and believe it's a high quality product that people will want to buy. It's a form of advertising, yes, to get more subs.

No. No MMORPG that is confident in itself would give out a free weekend this soon after release. This screams "we didn't get the initial subscriber base we wanted and now need to be desperate". Moreover it wants everyone to see their August update. Coupled with the fact GW2 and WoW are both releasing in the next two months, it's going to be an uphill struggle for them to retain subscribers. 

The dude saying it's because they're so confident in their game. They had a friggan beta event just prior to release which should have generated MORE interest than now, why are they doing it again in such a small time-frame if it weren't for retention problems? The retail sales have showed they sold only 6k copies last week. Die-hards are saying the digital sales are 10-20x that number, bullcrap, it's probably at most 1-2 times at most, which is barely enough to eek out profitabilitiy. 

[mod edit]

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Teala

Why is it losing so many subs before the first month is up?   Even in Twitch TV there is not as many broadcasting as there use to be and on x-fire it has dropped out of the top 25 games.    So what is up?

I don't go by people broadcasting or xfire (nobody I know, or have ever played any MMO with, has ever used xfire).

I go by people in the game... if which there are, everywhere, all the time, anywhere I go.  Servers are still too full to create characters on most of the time.

Unless you have some evidence (which doesn't exist because it's proprietary information) you're just speculating.

I remember the xfire argument with Rift too but I still see people playing that... along with any other game people try to pull the xfire "proof" out on.

• AborAbor Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Dakirn

I don't go by people broadcasting or xfire (nobody I know, or have ever played any MMO with, has ever used xfire).

I go by people in the game... if which there are, everywhere, all the time, anywhere I go.  Servers are still too full to create characters on most of the time.

Unless you have some evidence (which doesn't exist because it's proprietary information) you're just speculating.

I remember the xfire argument with Rift too but I still see people playing that... along with any other game people try to pull the xfire "proof" out on.

No one you know owns a Neilson tv ratings system but through statistical measurements you can still calculate the general attitude of the audience. 

Xfire definitely won't represent every TSW player, however the general trends noticed on it can be extrapolated into larger player populations. If it has fallen from the played list it means it's losing interest. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I play pretty regulalry and everytime I log on, all three of the characters I have created are in different full servers.  THere are always people to do groups with and I always see people all over the place.  When  I have been in other recent games, Rfit, Tera and SWTOR, none of them were consistently this busy at this time. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Xfire is broken again... Never working right for some like me.

Judging by general chat and LFM the game has gained palyers. constant stream of LFM. As DPS within 2 minutes I may see 10 different groups looking for DPS. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VectorburnVectorburn Member Posts: 1

I played TSW two weeks straight semi hardcore.  I will explain my reasons behind why in my OPINION they are losing subscriptions.  Before I do however do not think i'm one of the jerk offs that want this game to fail and just complains, I don't want any MMO to fail, but improve, TSW has alot of potential but it does have flaws that need to be addressed and if no one complains then the game won't improve.

*End game content.  Nothing to do besides nightmare dungeons.  Really, there isnt.  Yeah you can fill out your ability wheel but for people like myself who want to stick to a certain spec (Pistol and Blood) theres no reason too.  Crafting, is nothing special.  It's cool they are using minecrafts style of crafting but there isn't really anything special to craft other then weapons and talismans to a higher QL.  Once you do missions, its done and over with, unless you like to constantly repeat content.  The update we  are getting here soon isn't going to want people to keep there subs either, AH and new missions won't do much.

*Combat.  You get one resource builder that builds resources for both weapons.  Get two finishers.  That is how you will play the majorty of the game.  I use the buisness 5 times, unload with shootout, then Exantuiate (cant spell it :P).  I used dirty tricks when its up for added dps and hinder, deadly aim for random crit boost, blood shield for heal, and wanted for aoe.  But the most of it is just building up basically combo points to 5 then using two finishers.  Nothing exciting.

For now this is what I believe needs majorly fixed.  TSW story and theme is excellent.  Graphics are great as well.  But the overall gameplay itself is lacking.  TSW has lots of potential but they need to start focusing on getting out more relevant content and making gameplay more complex.  They got the dungeons right at least, there nice and challenging.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Well, every p2p game always needs more subs and so does TSW. But so far it seems that it has quite a large player base because not only chat is full of LFG or LFM but also zones. Just hope FC keeps patching the game and adding enough new content and features to keep people interested.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Well regardless of if it is a sign of success or not I think it's important for all mmo's to offer a trial/demo of some sort. When it comes to computer games it's not always just about wether you would like the game but can your rig run it well enough for you to enjoy it. Not to say seeing if you like the game before investing in it isn't important. I think it's a great game that really just need's more content. The missions I'm sure take a bit of work with the voice acting and animations let alone designing. Hoping they pull off the monthly updates myself and looking forward to some good new missions....

Originally posted by Abor

No. No MMORPG that is confident in itself would give out a free weekend this soon after release. This screams "we didn't get the initial subscriber base we wanted and now need to be desperate". Moreover it wants everyone to see their August update. Coupled with the fact GW2 and WoW are both releasing in the next two months, it's going to be an uphill struggle for them to retain subscribers. 

The dude saying it's because they're so confident in their game. They had a friggan beta event just prior to release which should have generated MORE interest than now, why are they doing it again in such a small time-frame if it weren't for retention problems? The retail sales have showed they sold only 6k copies last week. Die-hards are saying the digital sales are 10-20x that number, bullcrap, it's probably at most 1-2 times at most, which is barely enough to eek out profitabilitiy. 

Below is why I think you're saying "it's so good they just want everyone to try".

In psychology and logicrationalization (also known as making excuses[1]) is an unconscious defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are logically justified and explained in a rational or logical manner in order to avoid any true explanation, and are made consciously tolerable – or even admirable and superior – by plausible means

If you're confident in your product, that's when you give out free trials. You use the free trials to get people to see how good your game is, and buy it.

If you believe your product sucks, you hide it from potential customers and prevent them from trying-before-buying. You don't let players play your shitty game, because then they'll know how shitty it is and never buy it.

Basic logic. You don't need to have a degree in marketing or economics to understand it. The fact that they're offering free trials means that they're confident in their product.

When you go to the supermarket, what do they offer you free samples of? Brussel sprouts or chocolate chip cookies?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Common sense tells me i tis get more people to sub but doesn't matter why to me. if BWE acccess counts I will be giving it a second look.

I miss DAoC

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Abor

Below is why I think you're saying "it's so good they just want everyone to try".

In psychology and logicrationalization (also known as making excuses[1]) is an unconscious defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are logically justified and explained in a rational or logical manner in order to avoid any true explanation, and are made consciously tolerable – or even admirable and superior – by plausible means

If you're confident in your product, that's when you give out free trials. You use the free trials to get people to see how good your game is, and buy it.

If you believe your product sucks, you hide it from potential customers and prevent them from trying-before-buying. You don't let players play your shitty game, because then they'll know how shitty it is and never buy it.

Basic logic. You don't need to have a degree in marketing or economics to understand it. The fact that they're offering free trials means that they're confident in their product.

When you go to the supermarket, what do they offer you free samples of? Brussel sprouts or chocolate chip cookies?

Yes, and that is why SWTOR also has free trial? Becasue the game is so great?