Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will GW2 be on Steam?

The_ArgoThe_Argo Member UncommonPosts: 15

I noticed all the other Guild Wars are on steam, anyone know if GW2 will be on there too?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Not at launch.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Not on launch. However, u can use the steam overlay on all games.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by The_Argo

I noticed all the other Guild Wars are on steam, anyone know if GW2 will be on there too?

No. Anet and Valve had a disagreement and as such, GW2 will not be on Steam.

Originally Posted by Mike O’Brien, President and Founder of ArenaNet
    No, it almost certainly won't be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam.

Keep in mind the GW2 client is free to download from our web site and has no copy protection. (And if it's really important, you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library.)

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

I already added gw2 to my steam library ;)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by khamul787

No, it almost certainly won't be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam.

Keep in mind the GW2 client is free to download from our web site and has no copy protection. (And if it's really important, you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library.)

That quote doesn't make sense to me and is factually false.

There are MMOs on Steam, EVE-Online (Sub), DDO (F2P) etc.

ANet had a disagreement with Value, fine. But I found that attack on Steam really unprofessional and expected better.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by jpnz

ANet had a disagreement with Value, fine. But I found that attack on Steam really unprofessional and expected better.

Notice he used the words "new MMOs".  EVE and DDO aren't exactly new.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

It may be unproffesional but is it surprising? I doubt it is untrue. Valve has made a big push for MMO's lately and other F2P titles. I woulden't be surprised if they were laying down new rules. I would be curious to find out what those rules are. I imagine they are specific depending on agreements but I also suspect there are broad general rules, which Valve likely wanted to enforce on GW2. Maybe it has something to do with the Steam wallet? Do Steam MMO's all support buying points for the MMO's in question with Steam cash? That could be something if it is the case, as setting up such a thing could be difficult and time/resource consuming.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

A cut from the cash store.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

My wife and I already have our pre-purchased copies of GW2; I couldn't care less if GW2 is on Steam or not. Overall, I would say its a loss for Steam more than for GW2.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Notice he used the words "new MMOs".  EVE and DDO aren't exactly new.

Not really, that quote was from 2010 I think.

DDO was added after that quote when Steam decided to support F2P.

Looking at EVE-Online, Steam doesn't take a cut from their cash-shop so it can't be that. (This is from CCP's 2011 financial statements)

Like I said, I don't care GW2 isn't on Steam but I did find ANet's attack on Steam odd and disappointing.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Arenanet has said Guild Wars 2 will not be on Steam, they didn't as far as I know give any detail about why not.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by RameiArashi

Arenanet has said Guild Wars 2 will not be on Steam, they didn't as far as I know give any detail about why not.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

My understanding is that if you are running the Steam version of a game, you must be able to pay for in-game purchases using your Steam wallet. I don't think this rule is retroactive, which is why you can still find games that don't follow it such as GW1.

In other words, yes, Valve would be taking a cut of not only GW2 sales but all GW2 gem sales made from the Steam version of the game as well. For most companies, the exposure you get on Steam is more than worth Valve's price (see Spiral Knights), but ArenaNet already has the exposure they need and gain almost nothing by selling the game on Steam.

It makes almost no difference to the end user unless you really wanted to spend your Steam wallet funds on gems. You would need an account with ArenaNet either way.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

While it would certanly benefit GW2 sales ,

I doubt it will happen and really there is no real reason.

The game launcher is so slim, and the game launches so fast. Steam will only make it slower.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

steam is a 3rd party, imagine if we had WoW on steam for exemple.

patch would be live like week after for steam user. or maybe 2 week

its just like xbox and ps3 when a game need patch from a company they have to get in touch with microsoft/sony and they have to check the patch and blah blah

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

Originally posted by Lobotomist

While it would certanly benefit GW2 sales ,

I doubt it will happen and really there is no real reason.

The game launcher is so slim, and the game launches so fast. Steam will only make it slower.

Personally i think that Steam is just to expensive espescially for games that have very regular updates. I think that that is the reason for the conflict between Anet and steam, money, Steam is just way to expensive, makes more money on a game selling through steam then a retailer does.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Apparently, many people do not understand how to make money or how the economy works. Steam takes cuts of all sales. A cash shop will simply not work for the game. Games like Firefall and what not are following the same idea here.

Do you not understand why EA tried to create Origin? It is pretty apparent to me. Steam is simply a marketing tool, or something to use if you can't host everything yourself. Beyond that, you are just going to lose boat loads of money to them, especially if your only way to make money is in-game cash shop transactions past the price of the box.

I doubt this will ever be on Steam. GW1 isn't, so why would GW2?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by MattVid
    Apparently, many people do not understand how to make money or how the economy works. Steam takes cuts of all sales. A cash shop will simply not work for the game. Games like Firefall and what not are following the same idea here.

Do you not understand why EA tried to create Origin? It is pretty apparent to me. Steam is simply a marketing tool, or something to use if you can't host everything yourself. Beyond that, you are just going to lose boat loads of money to them, especially if your only way to make money is in-game cash shop transactions past the price of the box.

Guild wars 1 is.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/29540/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by MattVid

Guild wars 1 is.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/29540/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Yes, but it was added to steam when they allready stopped developing new content for it.

This whole steam experience with GW1 must have tought GW2 that they cant win much from joining up with steam and that they can make more money when hosting thier own download centre for GW2.  I think Arenanet is quite capapble of marketing their own game better then it could in the massive steam environment.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

GW1 was put on steam fairly late in it's life. I'm not sure if it's even been up there a full year (and GW1 is going on it's 8th year).

It's always possible that GW2 will be available on steam, but it's a pretty good bet you won't see it up there for at least another year.

As others have stated steam takes a cut of the profits, and on top of that Valve is pretty picky about which games it supports on their service. It's basically a lot of hoops for a new game to jump through.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by MattVid Apparently, many people do not understand how to make money or how the economy works. Steam takes cuts of all sales. A cash shop will simply not work for the game. Games like Firefall and what not are following the same idea here.   Do you not understand why EA tried to create Origin? It is pretty apparent to me. Steam is simply a marketing tool, or something to use if you can't host everything yourself. Beyond that, you are just going to lose boat loads of money to them, especially if your only way to make money is in-game cash shop transactions past the price of the box. I doubt this will ever be on Steam. GW1 isn't, so why would GW2?
      Guild wars 1 is. http://store.steampowered.com/app/29540/?snr=1_7_suggest__13
    Yes, but it was added to steam when they allready stopped developing new content for it.

This whole steam experience with GW1 must have tought GW2 that they cant win much from joining up with steam and that they can make more money when hosting thier own download centre for GW2.  I think Arenanet is quite capapble of marketing their own game better then it could in the massive steam environment.

None the less...its still on steam, which is what i was pointing out to the quoted poster.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by sk8chalif
    steam is a 3rd party, imagine if we had WoW on steam for exemple.patch would be live like week after for steam user. or maybe 2 weekits just like xbox and ps3 when a game need patch from a company they have to get in touch with microsoft/sony and they have to check the patch and blah blah 

No, actually, the fact that you're saying that shows you have absolutely no idea how Steam works. I can launch GW1 right now from Steam, and it will be running the same version as the non-Steam version. Developers do not have to run their patches through Valve first. One of the objectives of Steam is to make it easier for developers to reach their customers, something that Gabe Newell has stated is distinct from consoles.

Please don't make things up and post them. Someone who knows even less might actually believe you.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

"Attack on Steam?" There was no attack on Steam. Anet disagrees with whatever terms that Valve placed on them, and so will many other MMO developers. I don't know what they are, but the point is, it's probably not going to be on there.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

"Attack on Steam?" There was no attack on Steam. Anet disagrees with whatever terms that Valve placed on them, and so will many other MMO developers. I don't know what they are, but the point is, it's probably not going to be on there.

Shh. Saying a bad thing about Steam on popular gaming forums get's those torches and pitchforks out in seconds. 

If i recall correctly the issue is pretty simple. Valve forced microtransactions to go through Steam instead of going through the actual developer/publisher, meaning they get a cut from it. Not eveyrone is willing to share their profits with Valve, which is udnerstandable, especially if you have strong enough franchise that can hold on it's own withotu the need of advertising on Steam. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

That is a HUGE positive,about time a developer stands up to Steam and tells them NO.

I really got miffed at STEAM when i tried dealing with their customer support,they use a cop out "go to the actual develoepr for support.Well the rpoblem using Steam is they cover every program with a SHELL,meaning yo ucan do very little with it and at times as i experienced made some content unuasable.

I am sure some people have found a way around that shell,but to the average user,we expect FULL control over a product we purchase and Steam does not allow that.

There is yet one other problem associated with that Shell.I have witnessed consumers that made chargebacks agaisnt Steam and they went on to clsoe their entire account leaving them with no access to all the games the yhad purchsed.I would think that is illegal but not sure how an average consumer could fight that.

I would encourage nobody to use Steam,stay as far away as possible.This is one of the smart moves by A-Net and i approve.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.