Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forbes rips into EA.

Comments

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132
    Originally posted by Kilsin

That was a good read and pretty accurate.

Developers and Companies need to stop making games they think we will like and start listening to us and making games we actually want, then they will reap the financial rewards.

F2P will be short lived and not the answer for any MMORPG, I am calling that now (again).

To be successful in the MMO world, they need to start listening, otherwise players will continue to talk with their wallets and flat out leave.

If mmo developers made the games people on this forum wanted, they would have a game that appealed to roughly 10k people, and would go bankrupt.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Besides the small people like you and me losing their jobs, I would not feel bad one bit if EA just went away...They really have been shitting on gamers for far too long, however tons of people have no problems giving them their money just to try out their games.  I will say though that while EA's stock is not performing very well, there are other major publishers struggling too.  THQ is of course is floundering, Take2 Interarctive's stock has dropped, a lot of major publishers are hurting, closing studios and so forth. 

I will also say the bigger they are, the harder they fall of course.

I love this video:  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5946-Why-Do-People-Hate-EA

I also hate EA for their marketing practices:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3FN3YCwYk  Please tell me you remember Dante's Inferno....

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee
    Originally posted by Bardus

EA must of cost someone at Forbes to make a bad investment. Forbes isn't even waisting Vaseline on this one.

"The Old Republic is Likely a Bigger Disaster Than Anyone’s Saying"

Read the rest for yourself, I'm not your keeper.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

I suppose there's no point in mentionnning that "Forbes" has nothing to do with this article? It's one of their contributors, and this is how you become a "Forbes contributor".

1- Have your own blog.

2- Submit your blog to Forbes for consideration; they examine your past articles.

3- If they like your blog, they add you to their list of approved bloggers.

4- You then continue to blog, and Forbes doesn't control your content.

You literally could write an article about the poor quality of corn flakes- seriously -and post it on your contributor's blog. That wouldn't mean "OMG Forbes says corn flakes suck!"

It means one guy who got his blog approved by Forbes in the past says corn flakes suck.

I know, I know...no one's going to care and I'm just a fanboy, right?

Figured as much.

I noticed the OP ran right pass this post.  No comment I take it?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Whyhate
    Originally posted by William12

Never read a more biased article in my life.  It's obvious hes an EA hater.  

Battlefield 3 did very well considering it is the 1st one that was on all platforms at release.   Console gamers didn't even know what Battlefield 1 and 2 were about it was a PC FPS for the most part.   

Also if activision is doing so great why is the majority stock holder who owns 61% of it selling it ?

Indeed, Battlefield 3 did very well.

So well that Dice is already developing BF 4... 1 year layer.

Get ready to buy the same game every year, the new COD with yearly releases, only that now EA will drive it to the ground and kill another great franchise, because unlike Activision, they really don't know what they are doing.

It's an article in Forbes... ea hater? seriously?

Just because its on forbes means nothing.  Everyone is capable of being biased real writers are able to be unbiased this one obviously is not.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

EA must of cost someone at Forbes to make a bad investment. Forbes isn't even waisting Vaseline on this one.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

Agree, he mentions all the fishy stuff that I and people like me have mentioned before about people leaving the company en masse and people being fired in higher up positions. It's amazing how many people on these forums just can't see the forest for the trees.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Well... Seeing all their recent mistakes in 1 article on Forbes official website must suck. Combine that with The Conference Call and maybe the gaming world might lose a few inches of fat this year.

I loved the question why should we remain shareholders and all he could answer was we think our stock will go up based on how we are positioned.  I would say that shareholder are not buying the excuses.  In fact the one question was if he was going to step down.   The other question that I loved was return on investment to the shareholder, and got smoke and mirrors to that answer.

So this is just not about swtor to me this is about roi, something none of the share holders have seen, but ea keeps saying we made tons of cash, they claimed the shareholders short sold the stock and that is far from the truth, it has been a steady decline. JR said well that will even itself out in the long run, maybe so when the stock hits junk status.

Next call is on the 30 or the 31st for earnings so there should be more information then. 

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Battlefield 3 did very well considering it is the 1st one that was on all platforms at release.   Console gamers didn't even know what Battlefield 1 and 2 were about it was a PC FPS for the most part.   

Also if activision is doing so great why is the majority stock holder who owns 61% of it selling it ?

Get ready to buy the same game every year, the new COD with yearly releases, only that now EA will drive it to the ground and kill another great franchise, because unlike Activision, they really don't know what they are doing.

Just because its on forbes means nothing.  Everyone is capable of being biased real writers are able to be unbiased this one obviously is not.

You say 'obviously' as if he were pulling things from his ass, which he wasn't. That you don't like what he said doesn't make it any less true. Aside from number 5 on that list, he gave links to everything he said for you to look into yourself, if you were so inclined, and did nothing throughout the rest of the article that wasn't just a summary of what everyone else has been saying up to this point. Did BF3 do well? Yes, the write said so. Did it end up any serious competition for CoD? No. Did SWTOR sell millions? Yes, writer said so. Was that enough? EVIDENTLY NOT, and that's coming directly from EA themselves. Did the ME3 ending issue pose enough of a threat to EA/Bioware's image that they did something about it? Free ending DLC says 'Yep!" Was EA labeled worst company? Yep!

You seem to be misinterpreting what the word "bias" means. Pointing out the truth isn't bias, it's there whether someone talks about it or not.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by WoW_Refugee

I suppose there's no point in mentionnning that "Forbes" has nothing to do with this article? It's one of their contributors, and this is how you become a "Forbes contributor".

1- Have your own blog.

2- Submit your blog to Forbes for consideration; they examine your past articles.

3- If they like your blog, they add you to their list of approved bloggers.

4- You then continue to blog, and Forbes doesn't control your content.

You literally could write an article about the poor quality of corn flakes- seriously -and post it on your contributor's blog. That wouldn't mean "OMG Forbes says corn flakes suck!"

It means one guy who got his blog approved by Forbes in the past says corn flakes suck.

I know, I know...no one's going to care and I'm just a fanboy, right?

Figured as much.

I noticed the OP ran right pass this post.  No comment I take it?

Why you picking a fight with me? Look 7 post down from the 1st page. It answers everything this guy said plus the one I directly quoted. Didn't see the point in repeating myself.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Worstluck

Besides the small people like you and me losing their jobs, I would not feel bad one bit if EA just went away...They really have been shitting on gamers for far too long, however tons of people have no problems giving them their money just to try out their games.  I will say though that while EA's stock is not performing very well, there are other major publishers struggling too.  THQ is of course is floundering, Take2 Interarctive's stock has dropped, a lot of major publishers are hurting, closing studios and so forth. 

I will also say the bigger they are, the harder they fall of course.

I love this video:  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5946-Why-Do-People-Hate-EA

I also hate EA for their marketing practices:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3FN3YCwYk  Please tell me you remember Dante's Inferno....

^^^^^This This This This

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

Great read. The writer got it all right. Of course some people won't agree " round these parts" but the truth is the truth. I am suprised the article didn't mention how when the last Star Wars game tried to be like WoW it failed horribly.  Now we have two failed Star Wars games that tried to be like WoW. But, the first one (SWG) was great beforehand.....

As has been stated:

Most everyone doesn't want to be Luke or Han or [insert hero here}. They want to be in the universe, not the hero of it. Just like Star Trek Online....most don't want to be the captain (hero). I didn't want to have a ship with my own crew...I wanted to be a part of the crew. These big companies can't get anything right in the way of what the hell gamers really want.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

It's not Bias if he is basing his comments on fact,

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Mizzmo

Great read. The writer got it all right. Of course some people won't agree " round these parts" but the truth is the truth. I am suprised the article didn't mention how when the last Star Wars game tried to be like WoW it failed horribly.  Now we have two failed Star Wars games that tried to be like WoW. But, the first one (SWG) was great beforehand.....

SWG was never great, it was a crappy game with decent concepts.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by Mizzmo

SWG was never great, it was a crappy game with decent concepts.

I hate to say this but even after the nge mess swg was still a better game.  No rose colored glasses.  I hated the NGE.   I hatted kashick that world and mustafar with all the impassible geography made thing fell closed in.  not to mention all the bugs, that persisted with that game over the years.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by alexmino

Developers and Companies need to stop making games they think we will like and start listening to us and making games we actually want, then they will reap the financial rewards.

F2P will be short lived and not the answer for any MMORPG, I am calling that now (again).

To be successful in the MMO world, they need to start listening, otherwise players will continue to talk with their wallets and flat out leave.

If mmo developers made the games people on this forum wanted, they would have a game that appealed to roughly 10k people, and would go bankrupt.

I didn't say listen to people on this forum, I said listen to the community. Big difference.

When ever a game goes into Development mode, they set up a website, start leaking small pieces of info and gather some feedback, this attracts players who believe the game is something they will like and can see themselves spending money on. This is when Developers and companies should start to open the communication flood gates and interact with the community more, let those players that are truly interested in their game have a say.

This kind of communication at such an early stage in the development process will win a lot more followers that will spend a lot more money due to the game being moulded into what they want, rather than something they think we want created and shoved down our throats after being twisted in marketing hype.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

I think it just goes to show how out-of-touch many developers are of their passions about games and the community behind them. While this information might be speculation, their stock values do not lie. Yes, everyone is down now but they are down even further.

Also, this might be part of the community rebelling against EA and this is how the effects are felt. Hopefully it not only got EA to take notice but the entire gaming and MMO industry to make changes.

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by alexmino

I didn't say listen to people on this forum, I said listen to the community. Big difference.

When ever a game goes into Development mode, they set up a website, start leaking small pieces of info and gather some feedback, this attracts players who believe the game is something they will like and can see themselves spending money on. This is when Developers and companies should start to open the communication flood gates and interact with the community more, let those players that are truly interested in their game have a say.

This kind of communication at such an early stage in the development process will win a lot more followers that will spend a lot more money due to the game being moulded into what they want, rather than something they think we want created and shoved down our throats after being twisted in marketing hype.

I understand what you are trying to say, but this is what EA BioWare wanted to do.  What they actually did is something else .. they determined on their own, that players want a WoW easy mode game with cherries.

They did this and only towards the end (2011) did they realize this is not what players want.  Then EA went into the Oh-Shit! mode and tried to add more stuff

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

This post shows how out-of-touch one can be from reality.

There is an old saying called 'too many cooks in the kitchen' and you see it everyday on too many Kickstarter / start up projects.

In the real-world, community projects rarely succeed.

As someone who attended some of the 'pitch idea to investor', I always find it amusing when anyone shows something like this. It is a bit sad as these are really good people, just not in touch with how the world works.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

I think some others may have nailed the main cause for EA's steady decline.  The gaming community HATES them.  When it comes to gaming, infamy and bad press are NOT good things, because this is the same community that runs the internet and can vocally drown out any and all supporters in walls of texts and memes.  We are brutal, and satisfying this community is the hardest challenge in the entertainment industry.  However, we are also the most loyal....and EA decided to piss and shit on our loyalty with lackluster DICE and Bioware sequels and now they reap what they sow. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by waynejr2

That was a good read and pretty accurate. Developers and Companies need to stop making games they think we will like and start listening to us and making games we actually want, then they will reap the financial rewards. F2P will be short lived and not the answer for any MMORPG, I am calling that now (again). To be successful in the MMO world, they need to start listening, otherwise players will continue to talk with their wallets and flat out leave.

I wouldn't want to listen to this community.  They are all over the place and change their minds at a drop of a hat.  Very fickle bunch.

This.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

On the plus side, I honestly never thought it possible for a game company to generate more hate, loathing, and internet vitriol than SONY Online Entertainment. On this matter alone, E.A. has exceeded my expectations... *clap*

• XaviurXaviur Member Posts: 1

I don't get all the hate, the game is quite fun. I love the setting, combat, humor, story and the voiced quests. I suspect that when hate goes viral, it will kill even that what should deserve some love. People that haven't played it yet should try the free trial up to level 15, it gives a decent impression.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Dude writing a swtor blog suddenly gets a massive spike in page views.... 

No cynicsm here honest....

Originally posted by Bladestrom

So him assuming swtor cost 500m to make is fact ?  When every other expert says it wasn't even half of that ?   I don't even play swtor anymore , but that article is about as biased as you can get.   No one ever said BF was going to compete with COD.  He is comparing Activision to EA in games that only show activision is better.  I.E BIASED if you cannot see this you're a tool.   How about we compare how many copies of madden EA sells every year ?  Or NHL, Fifa, NBA franchises.  The dude is a moron if he thinks SWTOR will make or break EA sure it won't be good, but in the grand scheme of things it will not have a huge impact on EAs ability to develop games.   He didn't even mention that diablo 3 is a failure and despite people buying it no one is left playing it.

The FACT is SWTOR sold over 3 mil copies that alone puts a huge dent in that development cost.   SWTOR is most likely already profitable just not as much as EA expects it to be.

Lets look into your omg he posted facts bullshit.

That is opinon.

"Mass Effect 3′s Controversies Lost Many Hearts and Minds"

Opinion not fact.

"EA is Constantly Losing the PR War"

Opinion anyone who thinks you can have worse PR than activision/blizzard right now is a fool.

"They May Be Jumping Into the Social Gaming Pool as the Water is Draining Out"

Again OPINION

"It simply hasn’t been EA’s year for a number of reasons (five, if you’ve been counting). To right the ship they need to put their focus back on their customers, the ones paying their bills, and worry less about DRM, DLC, ship dates or anything else that will make a few bucks at the expense of consumer good will"

The kicker here Activision/blizzard are the king of DRM and DLC for fuck sakes you cannot even play diablo offline and the whole RMAH is way worse then anything EA has ever done.

Where are your facts ?  He doesn't even have official sales numbers for each game.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

So him assuming swtor cost 500m to make is fact ?  When every other expert says it wasn't even half of that ?   I don't even play swtor anymore , but that article is about as biased as you can get.   No one ever said BF was going to compete with COD.  He is comparing Activision to EA in games that only show activision is better.  I.E BIASED if you cannot see this you're a tool.   How about we compare how many copies of madden EA sells every year ?  Or NHL, Fifa, NBA franchises.  The dude is a moron if he thinks SWTOR will make or break EA sure it won't be good, but in the grand scheme of things it will not have a huge impact on EAs ability to develop games.   He didn't even mention that diablo 3 is a failure and despite people buying it no one is left playing it.

He wouldnt mention cod or diablo 3 in detail because this was an EA Article.

He also stated that swtor probably cost 200-300 million and that marketing expenses after that mounted to a total of 500 million, for example do you think a superbowl advert is free? Not to mention what they have to pay LA.

EA are in trouble their share price is terrible they are voted worst company of america, this does have a huge impact on their ability to develop games.  If I was a top notch designer or coder the last place I'd look to work is EA infact Id rather jack that all in and work as a deputy manager at starbucks.

Originally posted by Wicoa

He wouldnt mention cod or diablo 3 in detail because this was an EA Article.

He also stated that swtor probably cost 200-300 million and that marketing expenses after that mounted to a total of 500 million, for example do you think a superbowl advert is free? Not to mention what they have to pay LA.

EA are in trouble their share price is terrible they are voted worst company of america, this does have a huge impact on their ability to develop games.  If I was a top notch designer or coder the last place I'd look to work is EA infact Id rather jack that all in and work as a deputy manager at starbucks.

A SB ad is 10000 times what a normal TV ad cost.  You do not spend 200mil on development and 300m on marketing are you serious ?  Do you really think marketing cost that much ?   Its not cheap but it in no way comes close to half of what development cost let alone 50% more.  EA being voted the worst company lol like that matters.  Did you vote ? No  Did I vote ?  No  especially in a poll where you don't even know who voted or the demographic of who voted on it.   

When you compare games to each other you have to talk about BOTH games not be BIASED and only point out the flaws in one of them.   If Activision is so great why are they being sold ?