Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will people cry GW2 is dead?

Comments

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by hundejahre

May, 2020. Seven months after the launch of GW3.

lol yeh problably

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

B2P games don't "die" so fast. Because people can return whenever they want, It will always have healthy population.

I disagree. Look at GW1. It's online population drop to ghost town levels pre-GuildWars2Hype for HoM

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Haven't "they" already been saying it's dead before release?  That's what I've been hearing them say on these forums...

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Originally posted by Kothoses
    On this site?    People here will cry out that it is dead, or it  is tanking (Or make up some pun name and think its witty and original) about hmmm 1-2 months after the first batch of people hit max level.   Or once they realise it isnt the Anti Mainstream hit they are hoping for... then the topics of "What can save GW 2" and "What GW 2 should have been" will start, meanwhile the next anti mainstream darling will get talked up like its a messiah.   Me I will be busy enjoying the game and the other games that are too "hipster" for those people.

Hmmm...that sounds like fun:

Guild Bores 2

Guild Snores 2

.....eh, none are as good as TORtanic...let me know if anyone can think of better ones :).

I have to admit, whoever came up with Tortanic deserve a badge or something. I laugh all the time to that..

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    And the point of this thread is? Help me out here, because I don't see one. image

He is bitter that TOR failed.

That's exactly the way I read it.

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Nilenya
    Originally posted by Isturi

Please do not ASSUME to know what I thought when I posted my OP you are further from the truth. That being I feel GW2 is one of the best MMO's that is comming out to date. Very simple point. Why do you and other nagitive people read in between the lines and phyco analize me? I am acualy surprised by your thoughts concedering I find most of your post very entertaining and thoughtful. I am dissapointed that you and others that share this thought pertend to know my reasons behind my OP. I bid you adue.

I just want to say, it is horrifying that anyone would phyco analize you. I acualy am not surprised by everything else that follows concedering what happened to you. Nor do I pertend to know why any nagitive people would do this to you. I salute your adue sir. Well said!

Come on, man, there's no need to make fun of his spelling.  You have no idea what his life situation has been.  One's literacy aptitude isn't always 100% one's own doing.  And his grammar is actually quite good :)

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

People will cry that its dead as soon as the wowtards that rushed through the game to 80 instead of enjoying the content hit cap. They will then come on the forums and say that the game has no content, and that it is a grindfest, even though they didnt play most of the content and had to grind because they were only doing heart quests and personal story. This is not how to play GW2 but they wont listen.......

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Homitu

Please do not ASSUME to know what I thought when I posted my OP you are further from the truth. That being I feel GW2 is one of the best MMO's that is comming out to date. Very simple point. Why do you and other nagitive people read in between the lines and phyco analize me? I am acualy surprised by your thoughts concedering I find most of your post very entertaining and thoughtful. I am dissapointed that you and others that share this thought pertend to know my reasons behind my OP. I bid you adue.

I just want to say, it is horrifying that anyone would phyco analize you. I acualy am not surprised by everything else that follows concedering what happened to you. Nor do I pertend to know why any nagitive people would do this to you. I salute your adue sir. Well said!

Come on, man, there's no need to make fun of his spelling.  You have no idea what his life situation has been.  One's literacy aptitude isn't always 100% one's own doing.  And his grammar is actually quite good :)

Did I miss something? I use a spell chk most of the time. I admit my spelling can be crap at times. As far as grammar goes I type faster then I think. If I was a professional blogger that made money off this then ya you better believe I would slow down and worried more bout my grammar. As far as literacy goes well I read the X-Men as a kid along with a few other comics wish I still had them for monetary gain. Everyone knows that the standard news paper is written in a fourth grade lvl to accommodate many readers while comics on the other hand were and still are written on a collage lvl go figure.

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by stragen001

People will cry that its dead as soon as the wowtards that rushed through the game to 80 instead of enjoying the content hit cap. They will then come on the forums and say that the game has no content, and that it is a grindfest, even though they didnt play most of the content and had to grind because they were only doing heart quests and personal story. This is not how to play GW2 but they wont listen.......

Spot on.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Did I miss something? I use a spell chk most of the time. I admit my spelling can be crap at times. As far as grammar goes I type faster then I think. If I was a professional blogger that made money off this then ya you better believe I would slow down and worried more bout my grammar. As far as literacy goes well I read the X-Men as a kid along with a few other comics wish I still had them for monetary gain. Everyone knows that the standard news paper is written in a fourth grade lvl to accommodate many readers while comics on the other hand were and still are written on a collage lvl go figure.

I misspell or make grammatical errors in forum posts all the time, yet I score very highly whenever on the verbal portions of any standardized tests I take.  Spelling and grammar just aren't that important to me in this environment, so I assume the same for others as well :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

why do people like to pre-empt the troll on this site a lot?

I misspell or make grammatical errors in forum posts all the time, yet I score very highly whenever on the verbal portions of any standardized tests I take.  Spelling and grammar just aren't that important to me in this environment, so I assume the same for others as well :).

TY image

Originally posted by silvermember

why do people like to pre-empt the troll on this site a lot?

Were is the Troll? I am a poster and gathering from the number of post this thread got a damn good poster. Guess "haters will be haters" as the rap song goes.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

Hmm i like the phrase mmo-locust. That group than blow's through the content of a game quickly then move on and proceeds to claim the game will die.  But to the actual post, I give it 3-4 week's before the doom prophet's start's parading.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

the reason?massive multiplayer online roleplaying game!so when people see empty server(when i say see i mean literally see with their own eye in game.)this means the game is dead.when people go in a game of lol they expect to be 5 vs 5!when they go play massive multiplayer they expect massive stuff going on.so when there is no one ?nothing massive is going on!

this is why it is important for a game to properly define itself ,because if it doesnt it will die quick,any game renaming themselves a mmo when in fact they re just a 5 vs 65 game(moba)will die quick very often!

why lol is popular!because they didnt lie,their market was always moba!

so any game that want a headstart over the other?very easy!dont lie!if you are multiplayer online role playing game(morpg)say it

but if you are a mmorpg it is very important to say it too!most of the game are morpg and yell we re a mmorpg.and this kill a game fast!people wont stop saying a game is dead when it is .game maker wish they didnt but often game die because of game maker mistake!

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by fiontar

...?

The point of your OP was to slam anyone who doesn't thnk GW2 is a the greatest game ever by calling it too difficulut for them to play (no MMORPG is hard) attacking their skill in PVP or cognitive thinking abilities in terms of determining what they find fun. 

"After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game"

You hid that behind an insincere question asking when they would being voicing their displeasure by calling the title "dead".

Realize such claims are using hyperbole to make their point that players are leaving a title in droves (ie see TOR) and cancelling their subs.  Will be a hard thing to verify in GW2 since no one pays a sub fee, heck, GW1 was dead to me years ago but apparently people kept playing for some reason.

GW2 will not appeal to some segment of the market no matter how well made it is.  The developers made some design choices that will ensure that it will displease a fairly large core of the MMORPG marketplace over the long haul and they'll move on to other games once they become available.  Heck, don't be surprised when a lot of folks return to WOW in September because they actually enjoy it's design.

And no matter what people say, GW2 lacks a really key feature that most MMORPG's have and many people play them for, nearly endlless character progression in terms of power.  For some of us it isn't enough to just get another good looking piece of gear.  But that's OK, people will still make new games for us  too.

There, I guess I just started calling GW2 fail today, so you can start the clock. image

I agree that Fiontar is off in his assessment, because I was in the threads in the SWTOR forum that basically drove you to post this ;).  Now that said...let me get to the heart of the matter here.

I am one of those who actually is happy about the fact that TOR did not do well.  I know, you probably think I'm sick...but let me explain.

For years I have watched game after game come out that just tried to copy the WoW model, but then add a "gimmick" or two.  Rift added rifts and a different class system.  WAR's gimmick was RvR and a focus on PvP.  AoC's gimmick was action combat.  But outside of these gimmicks, these games were all very similar to WoW.

ALL of these games wound up flopping, and I made several posts about how this approach simply would not work because there is no way that these games can be a better WoW than WoW itself.  Then SWTOR comes around, and surprise surprise, its gimmick is story.  It is basically just a copy of WoW, but with a voice acted and animated story.

But this time it is a huge budget game made by a very reputable developer, AND it features one of the most beloved IPs ever.  So I really saw SWTOR as the ultimate test of my theory.  If any game could succeed with the "WoW model + gimmick" concept, it would be SWTOR....but SWTOR wound up not doing so well.

Basically, the whole thing made me feel vindicated in the statements I've been making for years that WoW model + gimmick just does not work.

GW2 on the other hand, differs from WoW in many fundamental ways...it does not use the WoW model + gimmick design.

GW2 Is still the same type of MMO as WoW..and let's be honest, EQ (which was the original that WoW copied.) It just has more gimmicks than most of the other copies that have come out. It's still very much in line with the linear progression model. 

You can talk all you want about WvWvW..but that's basically just a souped up version of WAR's (WAR had excellent RVR..the greatest tragedy was seeing that game fail soooo badly.) 

You can talk about the "lack of the trinity class system" but you still have a class system that locks you into whatever class you choose. (as opposed to a game like UO where you never picked a "class" you just got skills and could always pick a different skill)

GW2 is *not* some brand new innovative game..it's mind numbing when people pretend it is. I personally like the game, but that's because I loved games like EQ, EQ2, Wow..to some extent, SWTOR, WAR..etc

The only hope there is is that GW2 will learn from previous failures and realize the single biggest deathknell for a game is sluggish content. Not every game can be WoW and crap out an xpac ever 2 years and still keep the majority happy.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by evianwater

...?

I agree that Fiontar is off in his assessment, because I was in the threads in the SWTOR forum that basically drove you to post this ;).  Now that said...let me get to the heart of the matter here.

I am one of those who actually is happy about the fact that TOR did not do well.  I know, you probably think I'm sick...but let me explain.

For years I have watched game after game come out that just tried to copy the WoW model, but then add a "gimmick" or two.  Rift added rifts and a different class system.  WAR's gimmick was RvR and a focus on PvP.  AoC's gimmick was action combat.  But outside of these gimmicks, these games were all very similar to WoW.

ALL of these games wound up flopping, and I made several posts about how this approach simply would not work because there is no way that these games can be a better WoW than WoW itself.  Then SWTOR comes around, and surprise surprise, its gimmick is story.  It is basically just a copy of WoW, but with a voice acted and animated story.

But this time it is a huge budget game made by a very reputable developer, AND it features one of the most beloved IPs ever.  So I really saw SWTOR as the ultimate test of my theory.  If any game could succeed with the "WoW model + gimmick" concept, it would be SWTOR....but SWTOR wound up not doing so well.

Basically, the whole thing made me feel vindicated in the statements I've been making for years that WoW model + gimmick just does not work.

GW2 on the other hand, differs from WoW in many fundamental ways...it does not use the WoW model + gimmick design.

GW2 Is still the same type of MMO as WoW..and let's be honest, EQ (which was the original that WoW copied.) It just has more gimmicks than most of the other copies that have come out. It's still very much in line with the linear progression model. 

You can talk all you want about WvWvW..but that's basically just a souped up version of WAR's (WAR had excellent RVR..the greatest tragedy was seeing that game fail soooo badly.) 

You can talk about the "lack of the trinity class system" but you still have a class system that locks you into whatever class you choose. (as opposed to a game like UO where you never picked a "class" you just got skills and could always pick a different skill)

GW2 is *not* some brand new innovative game..it's mind numbing when people pretend it is. I personally like the game, but that's because I loved games like EQ, EQ2, Wow..to some extent, SWTOR, WAR..etc

The only hope there is is that GW2 will learn from previous failures and realize the single biggest deathknell for a game is sluggish content. Not every game can be WoW and crap out an xpac ever 2 years and still keep the majority happy.

I will say that, IMO, GW2 is to WoW as WoW was to EQ.  I know that a lot of people think that WoW cloned EQ, but I think this is absolute bunk.

If you played both of those games, then you know that EQ played COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from WoW.  EQ was all about camping mobs in groups, WoW is all about quest-hubs.  They are both themepark MMORPGs yes, but they are pretty different in many, many ways.

GW2 is kind of the same thing when you compare it to WoW.  PvE in GW2 is about exploration and stuff just happening, this is in stark contrast to WoW which is a very guided experience.  The group dynamic in the games is also completely different, GW2 doesn't lock classes into rigid roles like WoW and all its predecessors did.

Anyway...there are many more reasons I could list, but others have already done that.  Suffice to say, if you think EQ, GW2, and WoW are all the same game, then you really don't understand the genre very well.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I really don't see what the point of this thread is?

'When will people cry GW2 is dead?' People have already done that. It doesn't mean anything though. All this thread boils down to is a focus on hater & troll responses that bears absolutely no reflection on reality.

If the topic was 'how long do you think GW2 will last', and god knows we need even more of those... /sarcasm, then it'd at least be a somewhat informative thread.

This thread does absolutely nothing atm, then bait responses (and the definition for that is pretty clear on this site). It's not constructive. It's not informative. It's not doing anything for the community on this site. It's not funny. It's not critical. Why does this thread exist?

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

Blast it's just not stitching back together properly...fine....I'll just use........THE TECHNOMAGIK POWERED SUPER ASURAN AUTOSTITCHER TEN THOUSAND!(It's over nine thousand dontcha know) MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH *lightning flash*

*Pulls rip cord loud diesal motor sounds start*

Stich STICH! So that GW2 can liiiiive!!! MWHAAHAHAHAHAH......

blast it I stiched my arm to it....well this is embarassing....one moment while I get some shears to remove these stiches.....

oh and MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

Did that a long time ago / under Beta I.

You are to slow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 year and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing sine I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Did you read my OP? I acualy praised GW2 myself but in a much less of a tone then you did. I agree GW2 is one of the better MMO's to date. Question still reminds with this in mind how long will it be before the na sayers start in on GW2?

The point of your OP was to slam anyone who doesn't thnk GW2 is a the greatest game ever by calling it too difficulut for them to play (no MMORPG is hard) attacking their skill in PVP or cognitive thinking abilities in terms of determining what they find fun. 

"After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game"

You hid that behind an insincere question asking when they would being voicing their displeasure by calling the title "dead".

Realize such claims are using hyperbole to make their point that players are leaving a title in droves (ie see TOR) and cancelling their subs.  Will be a hard thing to verify in GW2 since no one pays a sub fee, heck, GW1 was dead to me years ago but apparently people kept playing for some reason.

GW2 will not appeal to some segment of the market no matter how well made it is.  The developers made some design choices that will ensure that it will displease a fairly large core of the MMORPG marketplace over the long haul and they'll move on to other games once they become available.  Heck, don't be surprised when a lot of folks return to WOW in September because they actually enjoy it's design.

And no matter what people say, GW2 lacks a really key feature that most MMORPG's have and many people play them for, nearly endlless character progression in terms of power.  For some of us it isn't enough to just get another good looking piece of gear.  But that's OK, people will still make new games for us  too.

There, I guess I just started calling GW2 fail today, so you can start the clock. image

I'm not negative, just experienced enough to recognize what a person's real motives are behind their posts even if they don't do so themselves.  Leave out the comment I highlighted from your OP and perhaps I'd believe you, otherwise you were just trying to eliciit emotional responses to which you have been successful in.

I know GW2 will be successful, and like GW1 people will play it for many years to come.  Heck, I'll play it for a time but likely won't stick around any great length of time because it doesn't really have the features I'm personally looking for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

gw2 main drawback ?we all viewed gw2 stream and most are like?wtf  is this what it looks like!sadly people set their stream in 1080p but they want to stream at 3000 kbps.why did they go higher then 480p ?i ll never know.and this is if they are at h264,if they arent?wow!ms stream a non game at 4930 (h264)for 1080 on their iis stream thing.so this should give an indication .that this is the minimum any should be set at!i saw a dude on youtube say gaming need to be set at 8 mbps for slow relativly slow gaming movement and at 10 mbps for pvp action like wow or gw2!(h264)no wonder every stream look so blurry and pixelated lol.

most should be at 480p and it would be awsome!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by evianwater

...?

Amazing how you listed the big differences between GW 2 and WoW and said they where the same at the end.

You missed DE's

Also Heart Quests are different than regular quests by giving choices the whole "does it feel different" stuff is subjective.

SPVP, non gear based, did you purposely leave all those other features out including the uderwater gameplay lol?

How you fight is diffferent as well, unless you can dodge though plenty games add that the big difference with GW 2 is the fact they put it all together with other features.

TSW did a good job with that as well IMO not to my likings for long terms but they atleast attempted and succeeded for people(can't say some or many).

Would you like to get to the knitty gritty with videos and what not, I missed some more differences as well but just got a few basics and common sense.

Innovative doesn't mean [new] either but that is a whole nother topic.

It's mind numbing when people pretend indeed.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 year and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing sine I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Did you read my OP? I acualy praised GW2 myself but in a much less of a tone then you did. I agree GW2 is one of the better MMO's to date. Question still reminds with this in mind how long will it be before the na sayers start in on GW2?

I'm not negative, just experienced enough to recognize what a person's real motives are behind their posts even if they don't do so themselves.  Leave out the comment I highlighted from your OP and perhaps I'd believe you, otherwise you were just trying to eliciit emotional responses to which you have been successful in.

I know GW2 will be successful, and like GW1 people will play it for many years to come.  Heck, I'll play it for a time but likely won't stick around any great length of time because it doesn't really have the features I'm personally looking for.

Theres lots of passive/aggressive posters around here that get upset whenever you call them on it.  All I saw in the OP was another "GW2 is awesome and you are wrong and a horrible person if you don't think it is too!".

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Yeah, he intentionally constructed his sentences to utilize as many of the words you misspelled as possible, then proceeded to misspell them the same way in mockery :p

This discussion has been closed.