Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will people cry GW2 is dead?

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Isturi

I am tired of all these posters who post that (TOR) and other MMO's are dead because of X reasons. Just makes me laugh that people have to be so freakin dramatic to cry doom and gloom for a particular MMO.So I ask how long will people start to announce that GW2 is dead. My guess will be about 3 months after launch. After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game.I feel in reality that is the main reason why people cry doom and gloom for other MMO's

Apples and oranges mate. Is GW1 dead? Last I checked (few hours ago) the servers were banging. I could really care less what others think in regards to a game. I just don't take these things personally.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

RIGHT NOW!    No one will ever pay a subscription fee to GW2  its sooooo dead!

(haha see what I did there?)

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Few weeks after MoP release...

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by fiontar

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 year and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing sine I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Did you read my OP? I acualy praised GW2 myself but in a much less of a tone then you did. I agree GW2 is one of the better MMO's to date. Question still reminds with this in mind how long will it be before the na sayers start in on GW2?

The point of your OP was to slam anyone who doesn't thnk GW2 is a the greatest game ever by calling it too difficulut for them to play (no MMORPG is hard) attacking their skill in PVP or cognitive thinking abilities in terms of determining what they find fun. 

"After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game"

You hid that behind an insincere question asking when they would being voicing their displeasure by calling the title "dead".

Realize such claims are using hyperbole to make their point that players are leaving a title in droves (ie see TOR) and cancelling their subs.  Will be a hard thing to verify in GW2 since no one pays a sub fee, heck, GW1 was dead to me years ago but apparently people kept playing for some reason.

GW2 will not appeal to some segment of the market no matter how well made it is.  The developers made some design choices that will ensure that it will displease a fairly large core of the MMORPG marketplace over the long haul and they'll move on to other games once they become available.  Heck, don't be surprised when a lot of folks return to WOW in September because they actually enjoy it's design.

And no matter what people say, GW2 lacks a really key feature that most MMORPG's have and many people play them for, nearly endlless character progression in terms of power.  For some of us it isn't enough to just get another good looking piece of gear.  But that's OK, people will still make new games for us  too.

There, I guess I just started calling GW2 fail today, so you can start the clock. image

Please do not ASSUME to know what I thought when I posted my OP you are further from the truth. That being I feel GW2 is one of the best MMO's that is comming out to date. Very simple point. Why do you and other nagitive people read in between the lines and phyco analize me? I am acualy surprised by your thoughts concedering I find most of your post very entertaining and thoughtful. I am dissapointed that you and others that share this thought pertend to know my reasons behind my OP. I bid you adue.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 year and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing sine I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Did you read my OP? I acualy praised GW2 myself but in a much less of a tone then you did. I agree GW2 is one of the better MMO's to date. Question still reminds with this in mind how long will it be before the na sayers start in on GW2?

The point of your OP was to slam anyone who doesn't thnk GW2 is a the greatest game ever by calling it too difficulut for them to play (no MMORPG is hard) attacking their skill in PVP or cognitive thinking abilities in terms of determining what they find fun. 

"After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game"

You hid that behind an insincere question asking when they would being voicing their displeasure by calling the title "dead".

Realize such claims are using hyperbole to make their point that players are leaving a title in droves (ie see TOR) and cancelling their subs.  Will be a hard thing to verify in GW2 since no one pays a sub fee, heck, GW1 was dead to me years ago but apparently people kept playing for some reason.

GW2 will not appeal to some segment of the market no matter how well made it is.  The developers made some design choices that will ensure that it will displease a fairly large core of the MMORPG marketplace over the long haul and they'll move on to other games once they become available.  Heck, don't be surprised when a lot of folks return to WOW in September because they actually enjoy it's design.

And no matter what people say, GW2 lacks a really key feature that most MMORPG's have and many people play them for, nearly endlless character progression in terms of power.  For some of us it isn't enough to just get another good looking piece of gear.  But that's OK, people will still make new games for us  too.

There, I guess I just started calling GW2 fail today, so you can start the clock. image

I'm actually excited to see just how well GW2's system of progression fares in the long haul.  I've written my fair share of skeptical posts about this in the past.  Throughout the betas thus far, however, I've found I've had more to progress toward than virtually any MMO I've ever played before.  Of course, this was just beta, and progression is a long term aspect of an MMO, which is why I say I'm interested to see just how well GW2 fares in this regard.  It will essentially be a lengthy experiment to discover what incentivizes players to progress more. 

At the moment, I personally believe the majority of players hunt primarily for signifiers of their accomplishments--something that outwardly represents their skill/achievements/status.  When those signifiers look badass, their luster is only accentuated. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I don't think it will take long for someone to say that GW2 is dead.  Here's a thread from 2008 saying that GW1 is dead.  It's a personal impression usually that happens when someone logs in and their friends aren't online anymore.

http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?473396-Guild-Wars-Dying-or-Dead

The reality is that most people that say a game is "dead" actually means that they see fewer people online or their friends have moved on.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Creslin321

People can cry that GW2 is dead all they want, but I'm not really going to give a crap until GW2 has...

1.  Huge population drops

2.  Massive server merges

3.  Considers trying to change their business model because the one they launched with did not work as they hoped

4.  Massive layoffs

Until that happens, I could care less what posters on the internet say ;).

<--------------- The TOR is dead thread is that way.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

Please do not ASSUME to know what I thought when I posted my OP you are further from the truth. That being I feel GW2 is one of the best MMO's that is comming out to date. Very simple point. Why do you and other nagitive people read in between the lines and phyco analize me? I am acualy surprised by your thoughts concedering I find most of your post very entertaining and thoughtful. I am dissapointed that you and others that share this thought pertend to know my reasons behind my OP. I bid you adue.

I just want to say, it is horrifying that anyone would phyco analize you. I acualy am not surprised by everything else that follows concedering what happened to you. Nor do I pertend to know why any nagitive people would do this to you. I salute your adue sir. Well said!

Originally posted by Nilenya

I just want to say, it is horrifying that anyone would phyco analize you. I acualy am not surprised by everything else that follows concedering what happened to you. Nor do I pertend to know why any nagitive people would do this to you. I salute your adue sir. Well said!

Thank you.image

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

May, 2020. Seven months after the launch of GW3.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

...?

I agree that Fiontar is off in his assessment, because I was in the threads in the SWTOR forum that basically drove you to post this ;).  Now that said...let me get to the heart of the matter here.

I am one of those who actually is happy about the fact that TOR did not do well.  I know, you probably think I'm sick...but let me explain.

For years I have watched game after game come out that just tried to copy the WoW model, but then add a "gimmick" or two.  Rift added rifts and a different class system.  WAR's gimmick was RvR and a focus on PvP.  AoC's gimmick was action combat.  But outside of these gimmicks, these games were all very similar to WoW.

ALL of these games wound up flopping, and I made several posts about how this approach simply would not work because there is no way that these games can be a better WoW than WoW itself.  Then SWTOR comes around, and surprise surprise, its gimmick is story.  It is basically just a copy of WoW, but with a voice acted and animated story.

But this time it is a huge budget game made by a very reputable developer, AND it features one of the most beloved IPs ever.  So I really saw SWTOR as the ultimate test of my theory.  If any game could succeed with the "WoW model + gimmick" concept, it would be SWTOR....but SWTOR wound up not doing so well.

Basically, the whole thing made me feel vindicated in the statements I've been making for years that WoW model + gimmick just does not work.

GW2 on the other hand, differs from WoW in many fundamental ways...it does not use the WoW model + gimmick design.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

People can cry that GW2 is dead all they want, but I'm not really going to give a crap until GW2 has...

1.  Huge population drops

2.  Massive server merges

3.  Considers trying to change their business model because the one they launched with did not work as they hoped

4.  Massive layoffs

Until that happens, I could care less what posters on the internet say ;).

<--------------- The TOR is dead thread is that way.

I'm aware, but you pretty much asked for this with your topic...

When posters say that TOR is not doing well, they actually have evidence to back it up.  That's the point.  I could care less if posters just randomly say a game failed with no evidence...that's a stupid argument.

What I'm saying is that I won't take notice of any posters claiming that GW2 failed if they don't have any evidence to back up their claims.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

This is an interesting question, because if TOR was not subscription based I would jump back in once a week just to play a little bit of the PVP and just level an Alt till I am bored again.

So for GW2 to not have an subscription, regardless whether or not I am bored to death in a week or less, I will still have the game installed on my computer that I can jump back in 2 weeks after just to level an ALT.

And If i am not alone in that thought, then i would believe that GW2 will have a pretty good population for a good while longer than other Subscription games out there.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Oh great, one of those personal feuds with spinoff trolling?

Who wants to buy a t-shirt?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

...?

I agree that Fiontar is off in his assessment, because I was in the threads in the SWTOR forum that basically drove you to post this ;).  Now that said...let me get to the heart of the matter here.

I am one of those who actually is happy about the fact that TOR did not do well.  I know, you probably think I'm sick...but let me explain.

For years I have watched game after game come out that just tried to copy the WoW model, but then add a "gimmick" or two.  Rift added rifts and a different class system.  WAR's gimmick was RvR and a focus on PvP.  AoC's gimmick was action combat.  But outside of these gimmicks, these games were all very similar to WoW.

ALL of these games wound up flopping, and I made several posts about how this approach simply would not work because there is no way that these games can be a better WoW than WoW itself.  Then SWTOR comes around, and surprise surprise, its gimmick is story.  It is basically just a copy of WoW, but with a voice acted and animated story.

But this time it is a huge budget game made by a very reputable developer, AND it features one of the most beloved IPs ever.  So I really saw SWTOR as the ultimate test of my theory.  If any game could succeed with the "WoW model + gimmick" concept, it would be SWTOR....but SWTOR wound up not doing so well.

Basically, the whole thing made me feel vindicated in the statements I've been making for years that WoW model + gimmick just does not work.

GW2 on the other hand, differs from WoW in many fundamental ways...it does not use the WoW model + gimmick design.

Interesting view point. I agree GW2 is different from the WoW for starters they run on two totally different engines. GW2 engine of course is a new engine that allows players experience a new gaming mechanic that will go a long ways for players of GW2 and WoW engine is over 10 years old their is very little that Blizz can do to change this fact that is why MoP is limited to its game play because the mechanics of WoW has been stifle.

So I agree that GW2 will not be dead anytime soon. I just amuses me that people will call it dead shortly if not before its launch.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Oh great, one of those personal feuds with spinoff trolling?

Who wants to buy a t-shirt?

lmao no not the case. People are nagative yes. But I refuse to let these people troll me.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Quality construction.  Made in a Gnome sweatshop!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

...when GW3 comes out? :D heheh

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

...?

Interesting view point. I agree GW2 is different from the WoW for starters they run on two totally different engines. GW2 engine of course is a new engine that allows players experience a new gaming mechanic that will go a long ways for players of GW2 and WoW engine is over 10 years old their is very little that Blizz can do to change this fact that is why MoP is limited to its game play because the mechanics of WoW has been stifle.

So I agree that GW2 will not be dead anytime soon. I just amuses me that people will call it dead shortly if not before its launch.

Thanks for understanding my viewpoint :).

Just so you know, I have no issue with people that enjoy TOR, and now that game is basically past that critical stage where it may have influenced the genre...I wish it success in the future.

I also think that TOR isn't a terrible game when taken from a non-MMO standpoint.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I've made those exact arguments many times and agree entirely :)  Nevertheless, incoming "GW2 doesn't offer anything new.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

This game wasn´t made to be a job which means that people will return only for fun. However, the thing is, that if you will leave this game, you have to find a game that´s kinda too good to make you happy after experiening such a quality title like GW2.

Now, give me a better title than this and I will be happy to change .. any suggestions ?

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

On this site? 

People here will cry out that it is dead, or it  is tanking (Or make up some pun name and think its witty and original) about hmmm 1-2 months after the first batch of people hit max level.

Or once they realise it isnt the Anti Mainstream hit they are hoping for... then the topics of "What can save GW 2" and "What GW 2 should have been" will start, meanwhile the next anti mainstream darling will get talked up like its a messiah.

Me I will be busy enjoying the game and the other games that are too "hipster" for those people.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I'm sure there are some out there claiming GW2 is dead before it even goes live. 

Of course it's dead! Have you seen the state of the servers lately? :P

imageimage
    Originally posted by Kothoses

On this site? 

People here will cry out that it is dead, or it  is tanking (Or make up some pun name and think its witty and original) about hmmm 1-2 months after the first batch of people hit max level.

Or once they realise it isnt the Anti Mainstream hit they are hoping for... then the topics of "What can save GW 2" and "What GW 2 should have been" will start, meanwhile the next anti mainstream darling will get talked up like its a messiah.

Me I will be busy enjoying the game and the other games that are too "hipster" for those people.

Hmmm...that sounds like fun:

Guild Bores 2

Guild Snores 2

.....eh, none are as good as TORtanic...let me know if anyone can think of better ones :).

Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I'm sure there are some out there claiming GW2 is dead before it even goes live. 

Of course it's dead! Have you seen the state of the servers lately? :P

I know!  And they have big time login issues.  I've been trying to get on all week!

This discussion has been closed.