Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will people cry GW2 is dead?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I am tired of all these posters who post that (TOR) and other MMO's are dead because of X reasons. Just makes me laugh that people have to be so freakin dramatic to cry doom and gloom for a particular MMO.

So I ask how long will people start to announce that GW2 is dead. My guess will be about 3 months after launch. After they get fed up with the difficult game play that enriches GW2 after they get tied of losing a lot or all the time in PVP after they realize that they cant comperhind the meaning of having fun in a very well devoloped game.

I feel in reality that is the main reason why people cry doom and gloom for other MMO's

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Going by the rate of how fast these topics pop up i would say 2 weeks? that is when usually content locust consume everything that MMO has to offer and declare that game will be dead soon.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

B2P games don't "die" so fast. Because people can return whenever they want, It will always have healthy population.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'm sure there are some out there claiming GW2 is dead before it even goes live. 

Originally posted by Zeus.CM

B2P games don't "die" so fast. Because people can return whenever they want, It will always have healthy population.

I disagree. First of all i really doubt that paying 15 bucks a month is big deal for majority of players secondly for people who consume content too fast and left with nothing to do at end they will quit regardless of game being P2P or B2P. Something that is to be seen with GW2 on release that for how long it can keep these players happy which are increasing in numbers every year.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

And the point of this thread is? Help me out here, because I don't see one.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Before it even opens, generally.

Just speaking of how posting patterns work, around launch time, on this site.  What we're seeing now is not unique.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Why did you even post if you saw no point?

Is there point to any topic around here? lol

just wondering.

Originally posted by Isturi

I just wanted to know what you hoped to achieve with the thread out of intellectual curiosity, nothing more. Maybe there's something I missed :-)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

I just wanted to know what you hoped to achieve with the thread our of intellectual curiosity, nothing more. Maybe there's something I missed :-)

Ok fair enough. Then the question is ask to you. Do you feel that posters will cry doom and gloom any time soon for GW2?

People are "crying" that WoW is dead for almost 8 years now... what do you expect?

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

People are "crying" that WoW is dead for almost 8 years now... what do you expect?

Ah then this is the point then. TY What do I expect? I expect people will cry that GW2 is dead about 3 month as stated in my OP thanks again.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 years and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing since I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Kyus_HoBKyus_HoB Member Posts: 185

The mmo dead thing, should be the thing that is announced as dead.

People put too much stock in what is popular and should instead thing about value for money and a critical analysis of what the designers created.

In regards to guild wars 2 even if you don't like the playstyle, even if you hate the theme or if you are one of the misinformed idiots that likes to spread misinformation about a game they know or pretend to know nothing about you have to admit that Guild Wars 2 delivers unparalled value for money (if you have experienced the beta weekends).

If for instance you are a heavy sand box fan and don't enjoy this style of game you have to admit that what has been built is a fantastic achievement from a critical perspective. 

When it comes to films the most grossing films of all time are not the best stop worrying about the nay sayers and the "subscription/population". Take the carrot off the stick and open your eyes and look at making an honest critical analysis of a game.

• OzimandeusOzimandeus Member UncommonPosts: 84

It will depend on if the person posting is a 'raider' or a true 'mmorpg' fan. The former will not enjoy GW2 because they only percieve an 'end game'. A true MMORPG fan will not tire of tyria so fast and will enjoy the role play and events which will quickly become the norm within the world.

Guild Wars was (and still is) going strong, it never 'died' - thats the benefit of not having a game designed to have an end and therefore an 'end game'.

Last point, MMORPG never 'die' unless the publisher pulls the plug, they transform - it is a very immature (read 'radier') thought that once you are fed up with a game, that it 'dies'. therefore you can read more about the individual through their perception than what they actualy say.

Originally posted by fiontar

I think what the detractors coming here to make and post this thread don't realize is that GW2 is one of the best, most content rich MMOs since WoW, is fun to play, immersive as hell, features what is definitely one of the largest world spaces since Vanilla WoW and has features that amplify 10 fold the replayability of the massive amounts of content the game ships with. All this and it still doesn't have a subscription fee!

If your hopes for seeing the game fail rest on some smug assumption that B2P means there isn't much content or substance here, then you are just plain misinformed.

I've been playing MMOs for over 14 year and have played or tested most of the AAA titles in that time and a few of the smaller ones as well. I also managed to log 125+ hours between all the beta events, so I had plenty of time to form a properly informed opinion of the game. This game is "the real deal". It's definitely the best MMORPG to launch since WoW launched and it's a better game, here in 2012, than WoW was at launch, or even is now.

In 125 hours of PvE play, I still didn't come close to experiencing maybe a third of the content that was available to us in the BWEs and over half the game was not in the BWEs. I fully anticipate getting over 1,000 hours of PvE game play from GW2 over the course of the first year, which is pretty amazing sine I can count on one hand the number of MMOs since WoW that have managed to hold my interest for more than 60 hours of game play!

Truly good MMOs are so rare in the genre, that it's pretty sad to see a number of people miss out on the opportunity to play a true gem, due to some misinformed impressions or misguided allegiance to another game.

When will GW2 be dead? I'm guessing a few months after GW3 comes out, maybe sometime around 2020.

Did you read my OP? I acualy praised GW2 myself but in a much less of a tone then you did. I agree GW2 is one of the better MMO's to date. Question still reminds with this in mind how long will it be before the na sayers start in on GW2?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Think he just wanted to get on record.  You know, "first!"

Presumably, there's a "told you so" all warmed up.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM

You didn't follow what happened with diablo 3 did you?

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by The_Korrigan People are "crying" that WoW is dead for almost 8 years now... what do you expect?
    Ah then this is the point then. TY What do I expect? I expect people will cry that GW2 is dead about 3 month as stated in my OP thanks again.

Redundant to be redundant, and haughty about it to boot.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Sub games have an easier time sustaining a healthy player base, since those that pays feel compelled to play. B2P may have lots of people playing a few hours a week but that doesn't equal a healthy player base.

On topic, first cries will appear once the hardcore pve ers have reached 80.. So in 2-3 weeks. Doesn't mean they will be right though.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by otinanai123
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM B2P games don't "die" so fast. Because people can return whenever they want, It will always have healthy population.
    You didn't follow what happened with diablo 3 did you?

Neither did you, apparantly.

• BaraoNegroBaraoNegro Member UncommonPosts: 2

GW2 will not die just yet. Did GW1 died? The true here is that, players like to disdain others games in contrast of the game they like, GW2 in this case. But all games have their place, incluiding GW2, in the market, it has his appeal and will live just as long as other games.

GW2 is a good game. Sure, some people may not like. Thats ok too. I cant understand why people need to create hate wars over the internet against X or Y game. Respect one another cant be that hard!

Originally posted by BaraoNegro

GW2 will not die just yet. Did GW1 died? The true here is that, players like to disdain others games in contrast of the game they like, GW2 in this case. But all games have their place, incluiding GW2, in the market, it has his appeal and will live just as long as other games.

GW2 is a good game. Sure, some people may not like. Thats ok too. I cant understand why people need to create hate wars over the internet against X or Y game. Respect one another cant be that hard!

May I be the first to welcome you to our jaded comunity. lol And thanks for your post. I agree.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    The difference between gw and gw2 is the server solution. The concurrent users in gw pve plummets by a lot after every expansion. But that doesn't really hurt the experience because there'll always be people around to play with. I. Gw2 if concurrent users plummet a month or two after release the des in orr and wvw will be quite boring. Since they depend on a certain server player base.
  • ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128
    Who's 'people'? There's always going to be someone that's going to be saying a game's dead even when there's others who are activly enjoying it.
    Perhaps the more accurate shout should be 'this game is dead for me'.

In any case, GW1 has continued to have a decent population playing it, and I'm assuming nothing less of GW2. This game is going to be around for a while whether you like it or not.

The bigger hype has attracted more people who will like the game and continue to play it, but it's also attracted more people who just want to bash the game.
This discussion has been closed.