Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On the fence at the moment looking for feedback.

2»

Comments

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503

Youtube is your best friend. I know this is not the kind of answer you are looking for, but trust me, is the best advice you are going to get. The videos you see about GW2 manage to convey an extremely accurate view of wht the game really is. Wht you see is wht you get. I stress this because it hasnt always been the case with others mmos (dark and light , "shudders")

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

Honestly, if I was able to commit the time you could to MMOs, I'd probably be running with TSW and GW2 as well.  GW2 is very easy to play all night, but also nicely suited to logging in for a couple of hours only. 

I've played all three BWEs duoing with my girlfriend and it suits duoing well. 

If the BWEs have taught me anything, then no matter what you tell us about your tastes in MMOs, there's a chance you'll hate it and a chance you'll love it (I've seen the BWEs turns haters in to fanbois and vice versa, and PvE addicts in to PvPers and vice versa.)

Assuming you and your wife aren't fighting to pay the rent/mortgage and bills every month, I reckon it's a sound purchase for you and will give you more than enough value for your dollar/pound/euro/whatever...

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

If you like tsw combat wise than gw2 is a step up imo. I am playing tsw as well and find gw2 to be a better more polished game in everyway short of the dialogs and maybe crafting. It is def worth the price and has a ton of content already. If you haven't played it yet maybe get one copy to try it out first an see how you like it. The worst part of gw2 has to be the dialogs which are very pg13/disney compared to tsw's. I woouldn't recommend mmo's to people who aren't playing them already but gw2 I would recommend to anyone who likes gaming in general. 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by calranthe

I would like some help deciding if I should buy this game, if people who have tried the beta think it will suit me, I will be making my own decision but basically looking for thoughts and advice.

Being retired and married to a woman who loves games as much as me we have a lot of spare time to play games.

I doubt that I will join in on the pvp side of GW2 simply because EVE is our pvp game and unless GW2 has proper pvp with loss and character looting, destruction of property and true consequences I doubt it will draw us in.

On the other hand we quite enjoyed the pve side of Guildwars and we do enjoy good storylines and quests (not grind like tera) , we are currently really enjoying TSW but because GW2 is a one off payment it may be the title to play inbetween TSW sessions. (yes we usually have 3 mmo games on the go at the same time and unsub'd to swtor after finding out it was a wow clone).

Please just tell us your pve experiences and what you think.

Also we enjoyed the companion system in GW is that still around is there any pet class ?

Forgot to mention in games like GW we are strictly solo/duo players casual time etc, our big group game is eve.

I look forward to reading any replies.

ask this question when the game has released for about 3 months . in the past i asked these same question before launch and it was just bullshit .every fanboy at the moment will tell you this game is the best thing that happened to them .aoc , swtor .war the list goes on . everyone told me during beta that they were awesome and they will blow your mind .blah blah blah . so my advice MR . OP i will repeat it again . wait for 3 months after launch of this game and dont jump into the wagon right now .we dont know what they will do with the cash shop that they are introducing .so better wait than wasting your money .

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

A lot of interesting information, I think GW2 may be a very good counterpart to EVE and TSW, we both have no problem with cash shops in TSW we have bought outfits and pets.

The ranger is looking more and more interesting to me :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

Well, Guild Wars 2 isn't for everyone and from the sound of it you might be more interested in PvE game centered around story like TSW (which you mentioned you are enjoying) than GW2 as in my opinion the personal story stuff is fairly mediocre.  You might still enjoy GW2 for the dynamic events and it's personal story, but I'm not sure if I can recommend it on rhat alone I would suggest maybe watching videos of how dynamic events work to get a better idea of how much you would like it or not.  It's a shame you didn't try to get in the beta and give it a shot to see if you liked it or not.

As for your questions:

There are pet classes.  The Ranger can tame and command specific land, water, and amphibian pets found throughout Tyria and name and use whichever is their preference.  Necromancers control lots of minions, but they are mostly nameless and much more temporary in usage.  Other professions can summon temporary pets that provide damage, control, and support for their team, but only last a certain amount of time such as Guardian's enchanted weapons, Ranger's spirits, Elementalists's elementals, etc.  Some racial elites also summon similar temporary pets.

There is no companion system.  Though you might encounter some NPCs that help you along during dungeon runs, you can't select and control companions like in GW or SW:TOR.

Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is completely different from the original Guild Wars in just about every aspect except lore and the world (even that's different as Guild Wars 2 takes place 300 years after Guild Wars and a lot has happened since then), so it's really difficult to make a judgement about the game based on the original.

Guildwars 2 is for everyone, everyone can get enough AAA+ gameplay experience wther in PvE or PvP, to warrant buying a $50 box.  Even if GW2 is not for the long run, it will give various forms of entertainment on the short run.

There absolutely is no reason why an MMO player/fan should not try it to find out if it suits them in the long run.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WhyhateWhyhate Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Nefera

At first I was concerned when you said that you have a lot of spare time to play games. However, since you also said that you've got two other MMOs, it should be no problem. As with most games, you would fairly certainly burn through most of game content in GW2 very fast if you played "full time", and end game is mostly what you've been doing up till max level - dynamic events, and dungeons for weapon skins.

Consequences for character death on PvP are minimal, so by what you said it would most likely NOT draw you in. Though, I'd recommend just having a go at WvW, who knows, you might like it.

Firstly, GW2 is very different to GW1. World is persistent, and you no longer need to be in a (near)full party to be able to complete quests and missions. There is a personal story that you can follow, that actually does change based on what options you choose at character creation, and what you decide to do along the road. I also found the world to be very immersive, with lots of cool things hidden away, and fun NPC convos, scenarios, and all that. I had a great time in PvE, and would definitely recommend it. All that content for the box price is a steal. You can do most content solo/duo, and won't need to invest huge amounts of time to stay competitive.

There is a pet class - ranger. Though the AI seems to be less than it could be currently...hopefully they'll be able to improve it though. To me it seems to be based off GW1's hero (especially melee hero) AI, at least the pet seems to behave in a similar manner. Necromancers also get minions, mesmers get clones and illusions, and engineers get turrets - not the traditional kind of pets though.

I would definitely recommend checking out the game. If you have the cash, go for it - you'll most likely enjoy it. You can easily shelve it after you've gone through the content, and come back at no additional cost when they add new stuff - except for paid expansions of course. If you end up liking the game, the amount of content you get for just the box price is amazing.

What a great response, no fanboy sugar coating, an honest opinion of someone who isn't blinded by hype or defends a game like if it was a sports team.

OP, watch some PVE videos, if you think that the PVE is different enough to hold your attention, buy it.

And see if you find any way to get into a BWE.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Well, Guild Wars 2 isn't for everyone and from the sound of it you might be more interested in PvE game centered around story like TSW (which you mentioned you are enjoying) than GW2 as in my opinion the personal story stuff is fairly mediocre.  You might still enjoy GW2 for the dynamic events and it's personal story, but I'm not sure if I can recommend it on rhat alone I would suggest maybe watching videos of how dynamic events work to get a better idea of how much you would like it or not.  It's a shame you didn't try to get in the beta and give it a shot to see if you liked it or not.

As for your questions:

There are pet classes.  The Ranger can tame and command specific land, water, and amphibian pets found throughout Tyria and name and use whichever is their preference.  Necromancers control lots of minions, but they are mostly nameless and much more temporary in usage.  Other professions can summon temporary pets that provide damage, control, and support for their team, but only last a certain amount of time such as Guardian's enchanted weapons, Ranger's spirits, Elementalists's elementals, etc.  Some racial elites also summon similar temporary pets.

There is no companion system.  Though you might encounter some NPCs that help you along during dungeon runs, you can't select and control companions like in GW or SW:TOR.

Keep in mind that Guild Wars 2 is completely different from the original Guild Wars in just about every aspect except lore and the world (even that's different as Guild Wars 2 takes place 300 years after Guild Wars and a lot has happened since then), so it's really difficult to make a judgement about the game based on the original.

Guildwars 2 is for everyone, everyone can get enough AAA+ gameplay experience wther in PvE or PvP, to warrant buying a $50 box.  Even if GW2 is not for the long run, it will give various forms of entertainment on the short run.

There absolutely is no reason why an MMO player/fan should not try it to find out if it suits them in the long run.

Not really.

If someone is fed up with the whole 'hotkey style' MMOs then GW2 is not for them.

Also, this game isn't for me . I personally had this pre-ordered and cancelled it after finding out more about the cash-shop and items in there.

I don't tolerate 'selling XP potions in a $60 game'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Whyhate
    <snip>

And see if you find any way to get into a BWE.

There are no more BWEs. Next up is launch.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

As for your questions:

Not really.

If someone is fed up with the whole 'hotkey style' MMOs then GW2 is not for them.

Also, this game isn't for me . I personally had this pre-ordered and cancelled it after finding out more about the cash-shop and items in there.

I don't tolerate 'selling XP potions in a $60 game'.

You might want to reconsider. Kills are a very small portion of XP earned. The 50% kill XP boosters may seem like a major advantage, but I'd be surprised if kills account for more than 10% of the XP you earn. That's a lot of expense to level 5% faster in a game where rushing to the level cap is pretty pointless. There is also a large over-abundance of content, so it's not like you need boosts to avoid grind due to a lack of content!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated