Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who here likes classic ARPG games like Secret of Mana?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So I cant sleep.  I tried sleeping at 8 and successfully fell asleep then I woke up 30 minutes ago and cant sleep -.-  Soooo...I decided to start a thread on how awesome those ARPG games from the snes era were.  The ones like Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Seiken Dansetsu 3...I know there are others like..I remember one where you travelled through time or one where it was a post apocalyptic world but its been seriously so long that I forgot their names :(

Those were really fun for me and was wondering if any of you miss those types of games?  I know there are quite a bit of those for the phones but last I checked they were annoying F2P ones that were so grindy.  I mean I didnt mind grinding for a bit in Seiken Dansetsu 3 to get my job change items (specifically for the job I wanted like whichever the job was to get the piledriver ability for the were wolf) but the ones on the phones take grinding to a new un-fun level for me.  And the story are nowhere near as good too >.<

So yah! who here likes those older ARPGs from the snes era? :O

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

I didn't have a snes, but i did have a nintendo and a ps1. Both system's had excellent rpg's in term's of story over graphic's. Secret of mana is still 1 of my favorite game's from my childhood. Imho most game's nowday's seem to value graphic's over story.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44

I didn't have a snes, but i did have a nintendo and a ps1. Both system's had excellent rpg's in term's of story over graphic's. Secret of mana is still 1 of my favorite game's from my childhood. Imho most game's nowday's seem to value graphic's over story.

Yep :( They also tend to favor grind over story for the phone rpgs as well! Soooooo annoying -.- Dont they know that gamers will grind on their own will if they wanted to?

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

One of the last really good rpg's for storyline I played was Summoner 1 on the ps2. Had horrible graphic's for the system and the load time's even worse.

Originally posted by Epic1oots

when u said SNes, my brain went straight to Chronotrigger.

Lawl! I have that on emulator and I play it every few years rofl.  I also enjoyed its less-liked brother, Chrono Cross.  I found Cross to be very enjoyable with  ton of replay value.

( o.o)
    (")(")

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Hehe just downloaded SoM to the Wii a couple of days ago!

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

i loved those games. along with illusion of gaia, lufia series, tales series and other older rpgs.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

I remember when I bought my SNES, the first game I bought for it was Final Fantasy II.  I popped the cartridge into the console, turned up the stereo, and the Final Fantasy theme started playing with that hypnotic harp-like melody.  I was mesmerized.

One of my all-time favorites that I still have the cartridge and box for is Chronotrigger, and I lost my copy of Secret of Mana, but that was another one of my very favorite games.  The Skill Wheel from The Secret World sort of reminds me of Secret of Mana's "Ring of Command".

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Shadowrun on the snes is easily my favorite game of that era by far. The music and the difficulty set that game apart from pretty much everything imo.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Will never forget Terranigma, which was my favourite Super Nintendo title next to Final Fantasy VI.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Yes, I do! Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia and other RPGs on that system Chron Trigger, Final Fantasy III (or VI), Ogre Battle (strategy), Lufia, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound.

A form of time travel and post-apoc may apply to Secret of Evermore / Chrono Trigger.

Quality games :)

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

OP if you like old-school arpg's you should check out Wanderlust: Rebirth which just came out.  It's co-op too.

I personally loved Chrono Trigger...been a very, very long time since I played it though!

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

sadly they dont make games like they use to anymore.

Thank god, the majority of games from that era suck absolute ass compared to even mediocre games of today.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by warmaster670
    Originally posted by Epic1oots sadly they dont make games like they use to anymore.
    Thank god, the majority of games from that era suck absolute ass compared to even mediocre games of today.

yeah....righto....>.>

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Zelda,Secret of Mana,and Chronotrigger were my fave rpg's of all time.

I loved that you could play SoM co-op,my friend and I would play till sunrise.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

i would have to say my favourite RPG of all time was Xenogears for PS1..had such good combo system

i even enjoyed it more then FF7 for the times...most of my friends were big FF7 fans

Xenogears was a way better PS1 game haha

such a rare game to find the actuall PS1 CD version

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of my favorite RPGs (if not my absolute favorite SNES RPG). I can't remember how many times i've replayed it with many different character combinations. Funnily enough, I actually did not like Secret of Mana all that much =O

And recently while messing with my SNES emulator, I found another called Dragon's View. Did not like it at first, but it's actually grown on me quite a bit.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Oh man I love everyone of the games mentioned here, and when I first discovered ARPGs I couldn't get enough of them. Though if you haven't checked it out yet, try the Ys series. hte just released two of them on steam recently and they fill the gap. Also does Tales of Phantasia count as an ARPG?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

Originally posted by Nightgroper

Oh man I love everyone of the games mentioned here, and when I first discovered ARPGs I couldn't get enough of them. Though if you haven't checked it out yet, try the Ys series. hte just released two of them on steam recently and they fill the gap. Also does Tales of Phantasia count as an ARPG?

Absolutely! I liked Tales of Phantasia! But my favorite was prolly Tales of Destiny 2 because I played that multi player with my cousin rofl.  I remember us getting owned by maxwell because of that god forsaken maxwell minimus.

( o.o)
    (")(")

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I absolutely love them! Seiken Densetsu 3 is still one of my favorite games. I also enjoy the Golden Sun franchise a lot!

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281

One of the last really good rpg's for storyline I played was Summoner 1 on the ps2. Had horrible graphic's for the system and the load time's even worse.

Lol I have a secret stash of games from PS1, PS2 Era...summoner 1 just happens to be one of them. Oh wow I have those unique games that might be hard to find now and days. Legend of Legia...legend of dragoons lol things like that.

By ARPG do you mean like diablo? as I thought that was what an ARPG was? Those were the days though, so many good rpgs but now its like the genre itself has just vanished or something...anyone else find that weird?

Oh yeah any of you guys know any good PS3 or PC ARPGs like diablo or any good RPG's. I have played D3 which oddly enough and torchlight 1. Oh and Titan quest. Just looking for some more rpgs to fill the gap.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by causs

I absolutely love them! Seiken Densetsu 3 is still one of my favorite games. I also enjoy the Golden Sun franchise a lot!

oh crap i remember golden sun, I played one on DS and then I lost track of the series. I know they came out with a second not sure of a third though.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Exactly. I think "in ancient" times, developers had to do more with less in order to make a game people would buy. Story and good gameplay was the primary tool they used. Flashy cut-scenes are nice and all, but I'd prefer a better story and engaging gameplay any day.

That doesn't mean I'd want crap graphics, we've moved past that, but graphics aren't everything, as you implied.

Oh and I still have my snes and have used it every now and then too. Super Black Bass fishing and The  Lost Vikings get their playtime.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Secret of mana with 3 player multitap is some of the most fun I've ever achieved in gaming. The fact that nothing has come close to this day is pretty sad. Chronotrigger was great but Chrono Cross left a bad taste in my mouth.

• I grew up pretty much exclusively with western RPGs, but I've got to say Chrono Trigger was awesome. Wouldn't surprise me if I'd liked Secret of Mana.