Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone want to play?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I'm torn between this and FFXIV.. I know this game and how it functions and there are no mysteries behind what I will get

FFXIV 2.0 could be good, but it may just be there way of "wowifying" it. Which I'm not keen on either. 

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by raystantz

I'm torn between this and FFXIV.. I know this game and how it functions and there are no mysteries behind what I will get

FFXIV 2.0 could be good, but it may just be there way of "wowifying" it. Which I'm not keen on either. 

I loved FFXI until I realized that once players got lazy and your land did not drop crystals the econmy got impacted to a point where it made everything difficult. Not sure if that is still the case but that was the only turn off for me. As far as the new FFIV I have an issue with how they are doing the skill systems with their new games. I hate learning skills by equiping gear. I despised the design decision when they did it in Tactics A2 and the Gameboy AD version as well.  I would stick with XI if you can find a good group of people to group with.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I love FF11 it is my all time favorite MMO so far and that is exactly why i stopped playing and will never return.

It did change a lot over the years but i always felt like it was staying true to its core but with the Abyssea expansions all that changed the game became different and in my eyes the changes Abyssea brought were not good its too easy to lvl now in fact its so easy now that most ppl have max lvl jobs without even knowing how to play the job and don't even bother with SC/MB setups  a good SATA circle or even basic stuff like a mobs weaknesses.

I can see why SE made the changes and its not all bad if i would not have been around since the begin i might even like it  now 

but i was there from the begin so i do not enjoy it.

So i stopped playing preserving the good memories before i would come to dislike the game (the once great community took a turn for the worse too) and am waiting for 2.0 i played FF14 at release and i saw the great potential it felt empty and not rdy (just like 11 did at release) but with a good group it would still have been ok to play i did not find a good group however so i stopped at some point and am waiting for 2.0 now they seem to do a lot right (not all mind you i hate that they brought bk autoattack).

I know 14 will never be like 11 used to be but thats ok tho or at least i hope it will be lol 

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I absolutely adored this game and because of this I bought last years new release that included everything. I was very sad to learn that the game has gone to shit because getting a party was really impossible due to the book burning ptys that became the only way to level. I had started from scratch hoping to find others who wanted to play it like it was meant to be played but sadly there were none to be had. All of the hardcores were doing the end game areas and if they were leveling jobs, they got them up there by abys rather than conventional levels. The days when I had a static party and we helped each other out was my faveorite memories in an MMORPG to date. I would go back in a heartbeat if it were otherwise though because I loved the classes and the party mechanics.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I tried to start something like this a year or so ago, and it was going really well til we got a bunch of bad apples and I wasn't playing enough to police people. 

Would anyone be interested in doing that? Just because everyone else does Abyssea or does book parties doesn't mean that's how you have to play the game. The trick is having people who still want to do those things.

Currently playing:

Originally posted by raystantz

I tried to start something like this a year or so ago, and it was going really well til we got a bunch of bad apples and I wasn't playing enough to police people. 

Would anyone be interested in doing that? Just because everyone else does Abyssea or does book parties doesn't mean that's how you have to play the game. The trick is having people who still want to do those things.

I would be interested most definately since TSW is fadign fast for me. 

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I installed FFXIV today, but everytime I've done so I've uinstalled because it only "looks" like FFXI.. that seems to be able the only similarity. I'd be up for it, but I am not a hardcore player by any means, so we'd need a fairly strong group as well as some leaders to help keep things in order.

Currently playing:

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I ve said it a million times. My wife and I are always into this, as we really want to see more of what XI has to offer, but only the old way. We re willing to do so, but will not move servers again :) We re the type that go off and farm, NM hunt, etc. but we were always willing to help those lower then us. What has to happen, IMO, for it to be a go , is get a good core of like minded people, that can accomplish almost everything in the game, but not to expect everyone to be on at all times. Set up, dynamis runs, campaign, missons, good old dungeon/xp parties. That said, don t make it so big, the more you add, the better the chances of that same thing happening again.

Like I said, keep me updated, because this game, if taken as a fun, not rushing, doing stuff together, without feeling like a second job, is the best thing out there. If people start, favoring others, because they can be on more, it always ends up the same. Hope it works, because we really want this to work.

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82

I agree with one of the previus posters that TSW faded fast for me, so I went back to play FFXI, I had made a new account in May on Valefor and it's been going well, I unlocked all my advanced jobs this week, I normally solo to 30, with only Guggen book burn for the painful jobs (I see bard and smn in there in the future).

With an expanion coming, I figure I might as wel play that, will also play FFXIV in the future once it launch on PS3.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Hey guys, been in the same bout like the most of you xD. I've seen some posts about your old school l/s and of course impairing progression wont get you anywhere and it only takes a few bad apples to promote that. I'm currently resubbed to FFXIV for the  past few months to get a legacy account and currently playing casually with 3 other RL friends. We do exp parties, leves, and group content and when we are waiting for others to log on I usually craft and work on personal story. When FFXIV came out I didn't even give it a chance because I couldn't bring myself to do anything so now I only have a 30 PLD and 34 WAR and casually making my way to endgame.

As it stands now, you want to get the astral storyline done before 2.0 because its the only time your going to get to experience it and FFXIV 2.0 will bring a lot of content other than a remade game. As far as content stands you have ranks to burn through with your favorite grand company, getting some jobs to 50 (granted you didnt get much done at launch) and playing the serveral group dungeons and strongholds. Recently relic weapons and armor and jobs have been added giving plenty of breath into the game. I recommend getting headway on the game while you have the chance. During the 1 month transfer/my brief beta time to check out 2.0 before it launches (first dibs for those who have legacy accounts) Ill be resubbing to FFXI and playing with my GF and maybe some RL friends. 

As far as aby goes, i find that i really dont care what its done to the game because the currenty content has shyed away  from atmas and aby mechanics (albeit the retarded proccing system remains) and a lot of the old endgame events are gettting remade for the 99 cap, giving players many choices for equipment progression and the inclusion of 2 new jobs and whole new continents to explore in the new expansion. The game continues to break into its roots and make me want to return. Leveling was what everyone whines about but every time i come back i can usually rope 2-3 people and if you can find just ONE person ingame you can make your own parties and level the traditional way. Last time I played i got a fresh account and leveled BLU to 75 without touching aby. Its not the game, its what you do and the way you wish to play it becuase SE didnt DELETE exp camps and REMOVE content. Its all there right where you left it, just find simliar minded players that share your playstyle.

I even made a content map from what I know you can do currently in FFXIV, and there is plenty to do:

General:

Quests:
    ~Main story/Grand Companies
    ~General Quests for stuffs
    ~Ifrit/Moogle/Garuda Quests
    ~Leves (Monsters/Gathering/Crafting/Battle/NM)

More group based content:
    ~Behests
    ~Hamlet Defense
    ~Roaming open world NM's

Dungeons (Instanced zones with bosses and loot, not to be confused with open dungeons like copperbell mines:
    ~Toto-rak
    ~Dzemael Darkhold
    ~Cutters Cry
    ~Aurum Vale

Strongholds/Open World areas with lewts.
    ~Shposhae
    ~Castrum Novum
    ~Natalan
    ~Zahar'ak
    ~U'Ghamaro Mines

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Leucent

I ve said it a million times. My wife and I are always into this, as we really want to see more of what XI has to offer, but only the old way. We re willing to do so, but will not move servers again :) We re the type that go off and farm, NM hunt, etc. but we were always willing to help those lower then us. What has to happen, IMO, for it to be a go , is get a good core of like minded people, that can accomplish almost everything in the game, but not to expect everyone to be on at all times. Set up, dynamis runs, campaign, missons, good old dungeon/xp parties. That said, don t make it so big, the more you add, the better the chances of that same thing happening again.

Like I said, keep me updated, because this game, if taken as a fun, not rushing, doing stuff together, without feeling like a second job, is the best thing out there. If people start, favoring others, because they can be on more, it always ends up the same. Hope it works, because we really want this to work.

Heh, you and your wife sound like my kind of people. This is exactly what has consistently turned me off from FFXI, in the last several attempts I've made to return to the game. I'd always start playing again under the condition that I'd be joining an "old school" linkshell with others that wanted to play the game the way it was meant to be played, but it would always eventually crumble, due to the "allure" of steam rolling to level cap. I guess it's difficult for some to resist the urge, when it's constantly staring them in the face.

It's a shame too. FFXI has always been one of my favorite mmos, and to date, it's one of the few mmorpg that has ever kept me playing for over a 6 month period of time (years ago, back when leveling meant something.) That said, I'd really like to be part of an "old school" movement for this game, but after seeing many attempts at this, rise and inevitably fall, I don't have a whole lot of faith anymore. I'd say those of us that would rather play the game pre-abyssea, are sadly in the minority at this point.

I just dont get why everyone just moans and groans about aby ruining FFXI. Players ruined the game not SE, players chose to book burn and aby burn. What do you accomplish by that other than being a gimp that cant land a spell or hit a mob? All that happens is you get thrown under a bus very quickly by someone like me that notices your fail. Just because SE lets you aby at level 30 doesnt mean I do things with players that cheated their way there and didnt bother to cap their skills. I level the traditional way, book burning and aby doesnt give you skill ups so its easy to determine gimps from players. Because of this you will find other players that have the similar playstyle and your group with them: simple. 

Anything to do with proccing being bad ill agree with, but its not necessary since RNG is RNG with the exception of proc spamming VNMs so you dont get AoE status effect pwnzord. Sure it was MNK WAR WHM BLM or bust in aby but events further themselves from atmas and now SE is raising their old content for the 99 cap. A lot of people were bitter with the raised level cap, many players felt that they could of just kept releasing 75 content, but many ppl were tired of the cookie cutter subs. And hell if aby gave you some variety making classes even more fun. Don't think i hopped on for a ride on the aby train, I played the game back in the day like all of you and i only was able to level my jobs and do storyline. I went to school and didnt have a adamant work schedule so that meant i couldnt do events. So at the expense of watering down ONE of my enjoyments of the game (not really as bad as you think if you know ppl that want to level traditionally which was not hard to find) I get the ability to do endgame and experience the whole game. 

What abou those players that did all they wanted to accomplish as far as endgame went? They needed a big change and a step forward. I dont get why post aby gets such criticism. 

Originally posted by Darkfalz89

I just dont get why everyone just moans and groans about aby ruining FFXI. Players ruined the game not SE, players chose to book burn and aby burn. What do you accomplish by that other than being a gimp that cant land a spell or hit a mob? All that happens is you get thrown under a bus very quickly by someone like me that notices your fail. Just because SE lets you aby at level 30 doesnt mean I do things with players that cheated their way there and didnt bother to cap their skills. I level the traditional way, book burning and aby doesnt give you skill ups so its easy to determine gimps from players. Because of this you will find other players that have the similar playstyle and your group with them: simple. 

Anything to do with proccing being bad ill agree with, but its not necessary since RNG is RNG with the exception of proc spamming VNMs so you dont get AoE status effect pwnzord. Sure it was MNK WAR WHM BLM or bust in aby but events further themselves from atmas and now SE is raising their old content for the 99 cap. A lot of people were bitter with the raised level cap, many players felt that they could of just kept releasing 75 content, but many ppl were tired of the cookie cutter subs. And hell if aby gave you some variety making classes even more fun. Don't think i hopped on for a ride on the aby train, I played the game back in the day like all of you and i only was able to level my jobs and do storyline. I went to school and didnt have a adamant work schedule so that meant i couldnt do events. So at the expense of watering down ONE of my enjoyments of the game (not really as bad as you think if you know ppl that want to level traditionally which was not hard to find) I get the ability to do endgame and experience the whole game. 

What abou those players that did all they wanted to accomplish as far as endgame went? They needed a big change and a step forward. I dont get why post aby gets such criticism. 

Well TBH, it's not like we are bashing FFXI post aby, only stating that we prefer playing the game the way it used to be played. Speaking for myself, I think the game became garbage for anyone who wanted to start fresh or who comes back after a long absense specifically because getting an exp party and playing the game the way that I found fun is non -existent. I don't blame those that have been around a long time and like the way it is, but it has made it impossible for people like me to play the game. No moaning and groaning going on in here, just people trying to get some old school style going.  I tried to come back and support the game, but after my month I hadn't had a regular party litterally for the entire month. It was all book burning and soloing a game that isn't meant to be solo'd. Hell I was even used for a smn burn not realy understanding what it was and I was dissappointed to go from very low to level 30 in one sitting without being able to play the game. Some people like the easy get to the end style of play, especially when they have been playing a long time. But as the game stands now, this has killed FFXI traditional leveling for those that preferred it that way.

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Well TBH, it's not like we are bashing FFXI post aby, only stating that we prefer playing the game the way it used to be played. Speaking for myself, I think the game became garbage for anyone who wanted to start fresh or who comes back after a long absense specifically because getting an exp party and playing the game the way that I found fun is non -existent. I don't blame those that have been around a long time and like the way it is, but it has made it impossible for people like me to play the game. No moaning and groaning going on in here, just people trying to get some old school style going.  I tried to come back and support the game, but after my month I hadn't had a regular party litterally for the entire month. It was all book burning and soloing a game that isn't meant to be solo'd. Hell I was even used for a smn burn not realy understanding what it was and I was dissappointed to go from very low to level 30 in one sitting without being able to play the game. Some people like the easy get to the end style of play, especially when they have been playing a long time. But as the game stands now, this has killed FFXI traditional leveling for those that preferred it that way.

I absolutely agree with you 100% until you said you couldn't find anyone to group. This could be a server based issue, but its funny you mentioned you cant start fresh. I came back with a brand new account and ill be honest I burned my first 30 and then I unlocked BLU and leveled it in PARTIES from 12 to 75. All old  camps and new, but i didnt even TOUCH aby and sure I had to utilize the level sync system and spend a lot more time in Qufim and the dunes but I had a blast. We had those coli camps on muthaf*ck'n LOCKDOWN.It should be known i had 2 RL friends that I rolled and my friends old RDM PLing us but you can still do it chap!!!! Hell once i barrel roll through FFXIV you should join us up on Asura and do that old school mang!!! YOU WILL find ppl that will level with you, just make the effort to find them ^_^.

I absolutely agree with you 100% until you said you couldn't find anyone to group. This could be a server based issue, but its funny you mentioned you cant start fresh. I came back with a brand new account and ill be honest I burned my first 30 and then I unlocked BLU and leveled it in PARTIES from 12 to 75. All old  camps and new, but i didnt even TOUCH aby and sure I had to utilize the level sync system and spend a lot more time in Qufim and the dunes but I had a blast. We had those coli camps on muthaf*ck'n LOCKDOWN.It should be known i had 2 RL friends that I rolled and my friends old RDM PLing us but you can still do it chap!!!! Hell once i barrel roll through FFXIV you should join us up on Asura and do that old school mang!!! YOU WILL find ppl that will level with you, just make the effort to find them ^_^.

That's encouraging knowing you were able to find others. I also had a RL friend (well my best friends wife) around but she wound up being to busy to help with anything. I wasn't kidding when I said I literally had zero reg exp parties in the month I played. i wound up also leveling blue a good bit only because I sat in LFG while seeking a party. I got a couple book burns in the shitadel and crawlers nest but I found them boring and a huge turnoff. My only option if I had chosen to stay was level beast, but I didn't come back to play solo. Not sure what server I was on but there was a LS that was of like minded people. only they were so spread out and the core members already had a Static. Either way the game was one of my faveorite MMO's to have been a part of and it was very deep, only it seems like a shell of it's former greatness as it stands now. I didn't say you couldn't start fresh since that is what I did, only it became an even bigger waste of time LFG than it used to be even running tank or healer. I got my emp pin and bounding boots while LFG so that was fun, but after those 2 items I ran out of things to hunt while LFG. 

My guess you were on a lower pop server + I made all my parties too. I looked for ppl seeking party + I used the new shout function to shout on all floors of jeuno. No matter the time of day I was able to fill up pretty easily. Saying FFXI is a shell of its former greater self isn't really the right way of explaining it. If anything abyssea brought a lot of bads into the game and this adversly affected the community. FFXI's former glory included camping HNM for days and 18 hour mininum spawns trying to outclaim bots. With maybe the exception of salvage you needed 18 ppl to get anything done and all the stereotypes were still there. In FFXI people are brought in to this belief of the game being very hard when in reality it was more of playing the waiting game and making 16 hour time investments at an almost daily basis just to get anything done. I rather not go back to "FFXI former glory" since I enjoy doing content with less people which in turn makes it more challenging as well as having many choices for progression rather than waiting in  line for 5 months for a dalmatica. 

Your nostalgia goggles are blocking the truth, ive come to terms with it a long time ago. FFXI is still in my heart the best MMO I've ever played, but you need to come to realize its the people you met and the friendships you held. FFXI was about the community, because without players you yourself were nothing. 

My guess you were on a lower pop server + I made all my parties too. I looked for ppl seeking party + I used the new shout function to shout on all floors of jeuno. No matter the time of day I was able to fill up pretty easily. Saying FFXI is a shell of its former greater self isn't really the right way of explaining it. If anything abyssea brought a lot of bads into the game and this adversly affected the community. FFXI's former glory included camping HNM for days and 18 hour mininum spawns trying to outclaim bots. With maybe the exception of salvage you needed 18 ppl to get anything done and all the stereotypes were still there. In FFXI people are brought in to this belief of the game being very hard when in reality it was more of playing the waiting game and making 16 hour time investments at an almost daily basis just to get anything done. I rather not go back to "FFXI former glory" since I enjoy doing content with less people which in turn makes it more challenging as well as having many choices for progression rather than waiting in  line for 5 months for a dalmatica. 

Your nostalgia goggles are blocking the truth, ive come to terms with it a long time ago. FFXI is still in my heart the best MMO I've ever played, but you need to come to realize its the people you met and the friendships you held. FFXI was about the community, because without players you yourself were nothing. 

Well we can just agree to disagree then. My nostalgia glasses have little to nothing to do with my decision to leave after coming back nor the discussion in this thread. The point was getting people together again and playing the game the way it used to be played. There is no need to tell us how wrong we are for wishing to play this way. I am glad you are having fun.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85

I just saw this thread and wanted to add my opinion since I played FFXI for 7 years.

This game has aged and the direction it went after the aht urgan expac made me move on, also the population is not what it use to be so for a game that requires grouping is pointless to play at this time. I will always respect this game from release till aht urgan after that its dead to me.

To whoever still enjoys happy hunting :)

Well we can just agree to disagree then. My nostalgia glasses have little to nothing to do with my decision to leave after coming back nor the discussion in this thread. The point was getting people together again and playing the game the way it used to be played. There is no need to tell us how wrong we are for wishing to play this way. I am glad you are having fun.

You misinterpreted my post, FFXI wasnt really that great back in the day, spending 6 hours LFG because you werent a red mage or bard was no better than trying to find a traditional party nowadays. I enjoyed the game for the community more than any other aspect of the game, but the game itself had a lot of issues because SE never listened to its players. Took years for a level sync and what 6 years for a auto sort? What im trying to say in no way were those the "Glory Days" they are merely the days where the community was good :). Im disregarding that post aby was the end of the game as you were saying, the community greatly declined but you can still find cool people. 

And as far as aht urghan being the end of the game lolwut? Theres still like 15 servers that are full of people and aht urghan had one of the best storylines, cool new places to explore and gave us our first lowman content (salvage/assault). I honestly dont understand some people.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85

You misinterpreted my post, FFXI wasnt really that great back in the day, spending 6 hours LFG because you werent a red mage or bard was no better than trying to find a traditional party nowadays. I enjoyed the game for the community more than any other aspect of the game, but the game itself had a lot of issues because SE never listened to its players. Took years for a level sync and what 6 years for a auto sort? What im trying to say in no way were those the "Glory Days" they are merely the days where the community was good :). Im disregarding that post aby was the end of the game as you were saying, the community greatly declined but you can still find cool people. 

And as far as aht urghan being the end of the game lolwut? Theres still like 15 servers that are full of people and aht urghan had one of the best storylines, cool new places to explore and gave us our first lowman content (salvage/assault). I honestly dont understand some people.

Community was good cause the way the game was, those BS level sync and in the past van diel those defending the outpost(campain battles) made people just solo in a game where playing with others was fun. I made my own parties without being a bard or red mage(all DD jobs 75 only no support jobs 75) and never had a isuue but non social people had issues thats true.

Game was fun till aht urghan then with the goddess expac the game died for most dedicated players. The same team that messed ffxi at the goddess expac worked on ffxiv and look at ffxiv now :(  I'm still playing 14 but merely 400 people per server at any time any server.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

I have been playing FFXI for a while now. Started to play a little before the great Christmas of 2005 (some of you may know what I mean). I also play FFXIV. been playing since beta off and on. Out of the two I have to say that I play FFXI the most. It is by far one of the easiest games for me to pick up and play now.

Frankly, anyone who bitches about abyssea ruining the game never played through it. It has become a means to get your Empy armor and weapons and not much else. I can understand some peoples complaints about leveling but you can still level the old school way, solo, books (without burns), and then of course abyssea. They have also adjusted the XP outside abyssea. Abyssea is all but abandoned since most have from it what they need. There is quite a bit of new content coming through the pipes as far as dungeons and other things. You also have the additions of Neo Nyzul, new Limbus, Neo Dynamis, Viodwatch, Legion and more...

Saying that Abyssea made noobs is partially correct but I knew a lot of level 75 players who sucked at their jobs back before abyssea came out. Leveling does not teach you shit about how your job operates at endgame. Everyone knows that.

I can say that if you want to come back and play FFXI, now is the time. Come back, play through the content and see for yourself. Coming here and asking a bunch of people that don't play anymore about what has been going on or if you should come back is a huge mistake. Most of them just cry about Abyssea and are clueless as to what the game is like now.

Take it from me, a person who has played through all of the content and still plays today. The game is most definitely worth playing.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Dfix

I have been playing FFXI for a while now. Started to play a little before the great Christmas of 2005 (some of you may know what I mean). I also play FFXIV. been playing since beta off and on. Out of the two I have to say that I play FFXI the most. It is by far one of the easiest games for me to pick up and play now.

Frankly, anyone who bitches about abyssea ruining the game never played through it. It has become a means to get your Empy armor and weapons and not much else. I can understand some peoples complaints about leveling but you can still level the old school way, solo, books (without burns), and then of course abyssea. They have also adjusted the XP outside abyssea. Abyssea is all but abandoned since most have from it what they need. There is quite a bit of new content coming through the pipes as far as dungeons and other things. You also have the additions of Neo Nyzul, new Limbus, Neo Dynamis, Viodwatch, Legion and more...

Saying that Abyssea made noobs is partially correct but I knew a lot of level 75 players who sucked at their jobs back before abyssea came out. Leveling does not teach you shit about how your job operates at endgame. Everyone knows that.

I can say that if you want to come back and play FFXI, now is the time. Come back, play through the content and see for yourself. Coming here and asking a bunch of people that don't play anymore about what has been going on or if you should come back is a huge mistake. Most of them just cry about Abyssea and are clueless as to what the game is like now.

Take it from me, a person who has played through all of the content and still plays today. The game is most definitely worth playing.

If the game has in fact changed as much as you say, then great - I might actually consider giving it a go again since I happen to have an unused copy of the "Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition" collecting virtual dust. You can't really blame people for feeling they way they do though, or being skeptical about the game finally taking a turn away from Abyssea, with the way it's been exploited over the years.

Then of course, there's the triviality of leveling in the game since many people have been able to max out every job in a relatively short period of time, thanks to Abyssea/burning. For many of us, the journey is the most important part, and with the current system being so easily exploitable, it pretty much kills that portion of the game. Sure, we can opt to level the old fashioned way, but that's not exactly easy to do in a group-centric game, where most players are inevitably going to take the path of least resistance. In other words, the devs set the rate of leveling progression in this game, and as leveling hella fast is well within the confines of legitimacy, the majority will continue to progress that way, and the few of us who want to level the old fashioned way will be left to struggle our way through the game.

Don't get me wrong. I hated being forced to group back in the day to do anything, nor do I think that having it take months upon months to reach max level was optimal, but I don't think allowing someone to gain like 30 levels or more in a couple of hours was the way to go about fixing those inherent issues. The game was made more accessible to solo players and small groups, and that's a start, but it should have been taken even farther. The original "grind" in the game should have been made more enjoyable and fluid, rather than making it completely trivial instead. 

Long story short, I'd just like the leveling process to be given some kind of importance again, and if they could have made it more fun and less of an actual grind, I think that would have been the best course of action. With the way it is now, they might as well start everyone off at level 75, and let them go from there.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. If the game really is finally making a change for the better, that's awesome and I'll definitely consider giving it another go. If I can find some like-minded people along the way that also want to play in a more slow-paced, smell-the-roses kind of way, even better.

Thanks for the insight.

Originally posted by alacres

If the game has in fact changed as much as you say, then great - I might actually consider giving it a go again since I happen to have an unused copy of the "Ultimate Collection Abyssea Edition" collecting virtual dust. You can't really blame people for feeling they way they do though, or being skeptical about the game finally taking a turn away from Abyssea, with the way it's been exploited over the years.

Then of course, there's the triviality of leveling in the game since many people have been able to max out every job in a relatively short period of time, thanks to Abyssea/burning. For many of us, the journey is the most important part, and with the current system being so easily exploitable, it pretty much kills that portion of the game. Sure, we can opt to level the old fashioned way, but that's not exactly easy to do in a group-centric game, where most players are inevitably going to take the path of least resistance. In other words, the devs set the rate of leveling progression in this game, and as leveling hella fast is well within the confines of legitimacy, the majority will continue to progress that way, and the few of us who want to level the old fashioned way will be left to struggle our way through the game.

Don't get me wrong. I hated being forced to group back in the day to do anything, nor do I think that having it take months upon months to reach max level was optimal, but I don't think allowing someone to gain like 30 levels or more in a couple of hours was the way to go about fixing those inherent issues. The game was made more accessible to solo players and small groups, and that's a start, but it should have been taken even farther. The original "grind" in the game should have been made more enjoyable and fluid, rather than making it completely trivial instead. 

Long story short, I'd just like the leveling process to be given some kind of importance again, and if they could have made it more fun and less of an actual grind, I think that would have been the best course of action. With the way it is now, they might as well start everyone off at level 75, and let them go from there.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. If the game really is finally making a change for the better, that's awesome and I'll definitely consider giving it another go. If I can find some like-minded people along the way that also want to play in a more slow-paced, smell-the-roses kind of way, even better.

Thanks for the insight.

And this is exactly the point being discussed. The op was looking for people to play, not come in here and tell others why this is a mistake or people coming in here telling those peole why they are wrong. Listing the key concerns, the ability to find other to group with for leveling content, was not a criticism of the game although it seems some have jumped to the games defence  a little to quickly. You pretty much said all that needs to be said onthe matter and going back to my first post on the topic, if there were others doing this I would come back in a second because this was one of my faveorite games. As it stands now for me, or at least the last time I played, I cannot get groups because they are either maxed, or do not want to level the traditional way and are only interested in getting to level cap. As a fresh start this makes the game a huge turnoff is all.

• BrimstonelovBrimstonelov Member UncommonPosts: 17

Just restarted my FFXI account a short time back, I've been reliving the old days of playing!  Solo, though.

It's still a fantastic game.

If everyone decides to play anew, please let me know!  I'd be willing to start an new toon, or perhaps transfer my account.

;)

• postpwnpostpwn Member UncommonPosts: 87

I'm updating FFXI via PlayOnline Viewer as we speak.  I'll be in Vana'diel soon.  This is my 10th time returning.  

Let's play!

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

And this is exactly the point being discussed. The op was looking for people to play, not come in here and tell others why this is a mistake or people coming in here telling those peole why they are wrong. Listing the key concerns, the ability to find other to group with for leveling content, was not a criticism of the game although it seems some have jumped to the games defence  a little to quickly. You pretty much said all that needs to be said onthe matter and going back to my first post on the topic, if there were others doing this I would come back in a second because this was one of my faveorite games. As it stands now for me, or at least the last time I played, I cannot get groups because they are either maxed, or do not want to level the traditional way and are only interested in getting to level cap. As a fresh start this makes the game a huge turnoff is all.

You're not finding people who want to lvl in the tradition way because most of them have been there and done that. If I had to crab burn my way to 75 again I would have quit after a few days. As far as what the other people have said I agree. Abyssea now is just where you farm empyreans, kinda like dynamis is where you farm relics. There is plenty of other stuff to do now. You can do legion, voidwatch, neo nyzule, neo limbus, meeble burrows, and soon neo salvage. Yes a lot of that is old content updated for the 99 cap but it's still fun. If that stuff isn't your cup of tea you can still find challenges low manning old content or even soloing some of it.

I have found on forums and moresoe in game that the people that tend to complain about abyssea the most are the people that haven't even finished it and didn't get participate in it when it was new. What many people fail to realize and say that it made noobs, is that a lot of that stuff was hard at first. Yeah briarius, glavoid, and other zone bosses/empy weapon NMs are super easy now but that wasn't the case at 80, 85, 90 cap. So now that the cap is 99 it's just another form of farming/low manning stuff.

Also people wanting to rush to lvl cap is nothing new at all. Its just a lot faster now. Instead of whining about how nobody wants to join you in your lolcrab/bird parties just get to the cap and join in all the fun most other people are having in the game nowadays.