Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

View is strictly FIRST PERSON

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

In PS 2 is the view confined to just first person ?

Comments

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

The original Planet Side was not restricted to only first person, but to be honest I haven't done enough research of PS2 to give you a definitive answer.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Current info (subject to change):

Infantry has FP mode only.

Vehicles (ground and air) has 3rd-person view, but no targeting reticle when in 3rd-person. It helps you see terrain obstacles while driving and can be handy during takeoff and landing aircraft.

• Deadeye31Deadeye31 Member Posts: 50

Yes, First person only for Infantry. They took it out for infantry because people would use it in planetside 1 to look around corners so they can ambush people. It was inherently unrealistic and unfair to the assaulter because there was no counter to it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Deadeye31

Yes, First person only for Infantry. They took it out for infantry because people would use it in planetside 1 to look around corners so they can ambush people. It was inherently unrealistic and unfair to the assaulter because there was no counter to it.

kind of make sense but if one class will have only FPS perspective, everyone should have just that as well. Aside from realism i prefer third person perspective all the way :)

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

In PS 2 is the view confined to just first person ?

As it is an MMOFPS, Massively Multiplayer Online Fiest Person Shooter... the answer is mmm, probably!!  :)

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by rojo6934

kind of make sense but if one class will have only FPS perspective, everyone should have just that as well. Aside from realism i prefer third person perspective all the way :)

only vehicles will have tps(third person) view also

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I agree 100% alot of us that played PS when they first nerfed 3rd person and then eventually took it out complained to death about this nerf...  I mean you take it from the squishy grunts but not from a overpowerd reavers or tanks?....

Did people use 3rd person to wallhump (peek around corners?)  You bet, but everyone could do it so how exactly was it a exploit.  Also, if you were a good player you would know that someone could be waiting behind a ledge so you would take steps to counter-act that (ie grenade) or using YOUR 3rd person view....  Planetside 1 was not Call of Duty or Battlefield with their quick and unforgiving TTK (Time To Kill).  So if someone got the jump on you in Planetside 1 and if you were good enough or even had the right implants you could recover and avoid being killed, heal up and get right back at it.

Also 3rd person view was often used to check your six and see if a cloaker or even vehicles were sneaking up on you.  Once they took it out cloakers and mowers (people who use vehicles to run you over) had a field day.  I know my killstats went up considerably due to this nerf, because I started just running around as a cloaker picking people off left and right.

Personally I think it's really going to backfire on SOE this time, because the TTK (Time to kill) in Planetside 2 seems to be more like Call of Duty and Battlefield and less like Planetside 1,  also you won't have the option to completly heal yourself thanks to this class system crap they put in this time... So when someone gets the jump on you in Planetside 2 *cough* cloakers GOOD LUCK!  People will disagree but trust me guys like Dogtag and myself are going to make them wish they had 3rd person view agian..

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• WitherfieldWitherfield Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Tinybina
    People will disagree but trust me guys like Dogtag and myself are going to make them wish they had 3rd person view agian..

Ooooh I bet they're shaking in their boots...

It won't backfire because you're in the minority. Heck even I as a PS1 veteran, and almost every other PS1 player I know, think 3rd person is rubbish. To add to this the PS1 veterans will be the minority in the PS2 community (this game will be gigantic compared to PS1) -- which means you're a minority within a minority.

You're deluded if you think you can somehow sway popular opinion on this aspect. But I sincerely hope you keep up the great work. It's hilarious.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Its and FPS.........................

Originally posted by Witherfield
    People will disagree but trust me guys like Dogtag and myself are going to make them wish they had 3rd person view agian..

Ooooh I bet they're shaking in their boots...

It won't backfire because you're in the minority. Heck even I as a PS1 veteran, and almost every other PS1 player I know, think 3rd person is rubbish. To add to this the PS1 veterans will be the minority in the PS2 community (this game will be gigantic compared to PS1) -- which means you're a minority within a minority.

You're deluded if you think you can somehow sway popular opinion on this aspect. But I sincerely hope you keep up the great work. It's hilarious.

Lol you will see.  With this TTK and the lack of 3rd person view, it will be cloaking made easy.  In all the videos they have released on PS 2 so far cloakers usually win ever fight... There is a reason for that.  This call of dutyish TTK will either have to be adjusted or prepare for the 'Nerf Cloaker' complaints.  By not having 3rd person view your left with what Darklight agian to help you spot cloakers?  Really?...With this unforgiving TTK gl with that.

Put that cloaker in the hands of some killwhores and your gong to have mass complaints... Individual players can have an effect on a game, it's been done before in Planetside 1.  GODjoey was almost single handedly responsible for getting SOE to install Painfields in the spawnroom...  And several individual players eventually had enough people cry about them that eventually SOE nerfed surge.

Once you have a few guys going up agianst some elite outfits and getting pretty much instigibed because this TTK is to low, your going to see some changes made... As for 3rd person view I actually hope they keep it out.  I like being a cloaker, and a lack of 3rd person view makes my job a lot easlier.  It will also make me journey to the top of killwhore board easier as well :)

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Keep it First Person. Third Person shooters are too easy and its cheating.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I agree 100% alot of us that played PS when they first nerfed 3rd person and then eventually took it out complained to death about this nerf...  I mean you take it from the squishy grunts but not from a overpowerd reavers or tanks?....

Did people use 3rd person to wallhump (peek around corners?)  You bet, but everyone could do it so how exactly was it a exploit.  Also, if you were a good player you would know that someone could be waiting behind a ledge so you would take steps to counter-act that (ie grenade) or using YOUR 3rd person view....  Planetside 1 was not Call of Duty or Battlefield with their quick and unforgiving TTK (Time To Kill).  So if someone got the jump on you in Planetside 1 and if you were good enough or even had the right implants you could recover and avoid being killed, heal up and get right back at it.

Also 3rd person view was often used to check your six and see if a cloaker or even vehicles were sneaking up on you.  Once they took it out cloakers and mowers (people who use vehicles to run you over) had a field day.  I know my killstats went up considerably due to this nerf, because I started just running around as a cloaker picking people off left and right.

Personally I think it's really going to backfire on SOE this time, because the TTK (Time to kill) in Planetside 2 seems to be more like Call of Duty and Battlefield and less like Planetside 1,  also you won't have the option to completly heal yourself thanks to this class system crap they put in this time... So when someone gets the jump on you in Planetside 2 *cough* cloakers GOOD LUCK!  People will disagree but trust me guys like Dogtag and myself are going to make them wish they had 3rd person view agian..

And how are you going to do that...? Type all angry at them?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

And how are you going to do that...? Type all angry at them?

Exactly! See you ingame.

Originally posted by Flex1

Keep it First Person. Third Person shooters are too easy and its cheating.

How is the option to have 3rd person view like in the Original Planetside "cheating" when everyone could do it?....

And if its "cheating" why will the allow vehicles to do it?...

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56

because vihicles look cool and it dosent matter u cant aim in fi3rd person... can you?

Originally posted by genjamie1

because vihicles look cool and it dosent matter u cant aim in fi3rd person... can you?

So thats your argument? Really?

You people complaining about 3rd person are going to wish you had it in game when cloakers are stalking you to death and destroying you every time you steop outside because this  TTK is on par with Call of Duty instead of the Original PS.... But hey just wait and see and remember I told you so.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I actually liked 3th person.. it gives a greater sense of surrounding and adds a lot of strategic and game play options.

It made me feel like I was playing Metal Gear Solid or Splintercell when there were enemies around and I could see them but they couldn't see me. It was also fun to use it in combination with boomers.

I understand why people don't like it though, it makes camping to easy. Although strangely enough I never really had a problem with being camped.. Death is just not that important when you play 100vs100vs100. Respawn and go again.

And if PS2 has infltrators (cloakers) like in PS1 then I agree with the other guys about it becoming a real problem. Unless they make them have really crappy weapons.

Dammit. I really shouldn't be even following this game, this has the potential to becomign the greatest game ever (for me) butt SOE are morons who will fuck it up. (classes, really??)

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Never played PS1....but BF2142 was 1st person and the guys in the predator suits were never that hard to deal with for decent players.  I'm not sure why it should be that different in PS2?

For most FPS games you want good situational awareness as an infantry grunt....check your sides and rear from time to time by turning.....move in groups who cover each other.....use directional sound for clues if someone is trying to move up behind you....find places to hole up where the enemy has a constricted approach..... and most important defence, not be spotted by the opposition yourself.

Those are all pretty basic to most FPS games..... how would things apply any differently with PS2?   Not trying to be snarky here or anything...just honestly never seen this as much of a problem in other FPS style games with stealth classes.

Originally posted by thekid1

I actually liked 3th person.. it gives a greater sense of surrounding and adds a lot of strategic and game play options.

It made me feel like I was playing Metal Gear Solid or Splintercell when there were enemies around and I could see them but they couldn't see me. It was also fun to use it in combination with boomers.

I understand why people don't like it though, it makes camping to easy. Although strangely enough I never really had a problem with being camped.. Death is just not that important when you play 100vs100vs100. Respawn and go again. And if PS2 has infltrators (cloakers) like in PS1 then I agree with the other guys about it becoming a real problem. Unless they make them have really crappy weapons.

Dammit. I really shouldn't be even following this game, this has the potential to becomign the greatest game ever (for me) butt SOE are morons who will fuck it up. (classes, really??)

Crappy like the UBER PS1 Beamer?!! lol

With this new (extremely quick) TTK crap they came up with and this class system which means you can no longer heal and repair yourself I see it being easy pickens for cloakers...

No more of surging away from a cloaker and trying to go heal/repair before he has the chance to finish you off... Cause pretty much you cannot totally heal/repair yourself  (blah) with this new system crap so that cloaker won't have much to try to finish off...

People will come with this well use team work crap... I played plenty of FPS's that required teamwork.. And gettting people on your team to heal/repair you when you need it rarely happend... The ability to heal/repair yourself is what made Planetside Planetside!!!....

I agree with you about having the option to have 3rd person view, it did provided you with alot of stratigic options. Say for example you could spot guys trying to tree hump and ambush you or you could use it to spot cloakers/vehicles trying sneak up on you... And I never really had a problem with Wall hugging campers either.. Mainly due to the fact that I wasn't stupid and didn't run straight up or down stairs alowing a camper to pick you apart... The good players would always come at angles, use audio amp, toss plasma grenades, use surge to expose a potential camper, etc... But since the scrubs cried about it they got it nerfed and now taken completly out of PS2...

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

I had no problem spoting the "invisible" dudes in PS1.  I didn't even know there was a third person view in that game but it really doesn't matter if the cloaking is the same.  BF2142 had the same issue.  The guys are perfectly visiable, even from a distance.

And since the time to kill has been reduced it is a good thing there is no third person view.  You are guaranteed first hit around corners with third person view and that means you are almost guaranteed the kill as well which is extremely cheep.  

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

So here's the thing:

The standard is FPS, so that's what they will do.  Until.... they start wanting to put vanity items in to change the way you look and charging station cash.  Then I expect we will see a resurgence in the "need" for 3rd person view.  Seriously.  Money will drive the issue, not gamers.  Don't forget this is SOE...

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56
    how will they get ANY money.... hmmm
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by daeandor

So here's the thing:

The standard is FPS, so that's what they will do.  Until.... they start wanting to put vanity items in to change the way you look and charging station cash.  Then I expect we will see a resurgence in the "need" for 3rd person view.  Seriously.  Money will drive the issue, not gamers.  Don't forget this is SOE...

Oh, vanity camo's and vehicle decals and such things are already in the Cash Shop. It's a big thing in PS2.

But that hasn't changed the "first-person view only" design though.

You can admire your character in the equip screen from all angles. But once in game, you can only see how cool everyone else looks image

• CrashsplashCrashsplash Member Posts: 22

Actually there were 2 counters to it.

1. You wait for your mate and go at him 2 to 1.

2. You throw a granade and then follow it up.

:)

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    yeah i actually got to agree here if you are going to limit one group of players in the game to fps view, then all players should be limited to that view point as wel for fairness sake. Tpv view is not un-counterable unless you are just well stupid, and rash with how you play, it is like with any combat that deals with the possibility of ambushes you take precausions to limit the advantage/disadvantage that you/they would incure. Also not sure why we are talking about realism here, since this is the future not modern day (if it were modern era it would hold something for realism.) who knows they might have actual servalince on the combat-suits that allows for the h.u.d to display a rear view display behind them. The other thing is if they allowed for a actual items or equipment that would allow the player to go into tpv at the expence of of other items or compacities that would give the user a disavantage in exchange for the precieved advantage gained.