Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any upcoming AAA MMOs with potential?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Titan.

Blizz always make fun (for me) games. If it is half as good as wow or d3, i will play for a while.

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30

Wildstar is shaping up to be pretty good :)

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73

Nothing will come remotely close to the value, fun and content that GW2 will provide. We're in for quite a treat. I've played all 3 beta weekend events and I just couldn't stop playing. Here's the interesting part; I wasn;t grinding for anything; I wasn't racing to max level; I was just having so much fun.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Banking my hopes on World of Darkness, Blizzard's new mmo and Undead Labs zombie mmo.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Titan.

Blizz always make fun (for me) games. If it is half as good as wow or d3, i will play for a while.

Agree Titan might turn out to be good but it's at least 2 to 3 years away.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

gw2 is a non for you has new game goes?sorry to say nope nothing is coming soon!smite is a uber game if you like the lol style but the fact they have only one map might kill it fast!

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

If you didn't enjoy SWTOR or GW2 and want a more non-themepark feel to your MMO, I'd say to see how World of Darkness shapes up. I'm not usually a huge sandbox fan, not because I don't like sandboxes, but because most of them are designed by developers with either low budgets, crappy design models or a combination of both. CCP should be one of the first designers in a long time to be able to actually make a well done sandbox.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by tixylix

I had my hopes on SWTOR and GW2 but they both suck and I know the GW2 fanbois will come along like they do with any MMO before launch but I just thought it was more of the same. Just looking at the list I cannot find anything, been trying MMOs since SWG was ruined in 2005 and I haven't found one I've liked in seven years nearly now. The best way to describe it is in the FPS genre and how they're all COD now, every game is just trying to be COD and it's so boring that I don't bother with them. The same thing with MMOS, every MMO is just trying to be WoW with a gimmick that makes it slightly different. The only MMO out there right now that is any different is EVE Online but that's all about unfair fights so doesn't appeal to me. 

I need a seamless world, I hate loading screens and I hate the feeling that I'm in a series of maps and not a virtual world. MMOs these days all tend to have loads of loading screens and seperate zones and what is worse is they restrict the number of players to something tiny like 100 per zone. When I played WoW in 2005 it had a nice balance of being seamless and still having instances, the instances in WoW were few and far between and they were built into the world so they felt real, you still had to travel to them. The fast travel it did have like Griffins or boats, you had to ride on them, it wasn't an instant teleport to another zone. Now like GW2 or SWTOR it's click on this NPC or run through this portal and instantly you're in a different location. They don't feel like worlds, there is no structure to them, just a load of random maps..... eurgh I just hate it. 

I miss group content as well, even though I hated EQ2s world design and only played it in beta and a month after launch I had the best time grouping. Just sitting out in CL with my group and chatting in the downtime because back then regen of health and mana took a long time. You'd just travel with groups and groups of people throughout this zone and it just felt so epic. You'd still die all the time because it was hard, having a group wasn't a given like it is today. When you did die you got XP debt  and you could actually go backwards in a night if you weren't careful. Even in the tutorial Island you needed a group for the last quest and the starter zones around the cities. It was just so amazing and now if you go back and play it's all generic solo kill 10 rats quests, it was never like that before and now SOE have just turned it into a WoW clone.

Developers think that people don't want to group but that isn't the case because people group all the time at end game for raids or PVP. The problem is with these linear themepark level based MMOs grouping becomes harder and harder as the game becomes top heavy. SWGs content (the little amount there was of it) was dotted all around the worlds in a non linear fashion and because there were no levels new and old players would be doing each bit of content as they liked, so content never dried up. You didn't even do it for rewards half the time, you did it because it was fun to do. Now people wont touch content in an MMO because it's boring, it's not fun and they're only doing it for a reward. I think speaks volumes of how poor the gameplay is in MMOs these days that people wouldn't do it without a reward...... surely that's a sign that the gameplay needs to change. 

Humph.

Guess I'll go and play some Dayz because these days that is more of an MMO that the shit listed on this site.... I mean I cannot believe we've got to a place where LoL is being called an MMO.

Keep your eye on 'The Repopulation' as well, since your a former Star Wars Galaxies player.

http://www.therepopulation.com/

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

I'm guessing the upcoming games would be

ArchAge

Blade & Soul

EQ: Next

World of Darkness

Neverwinter

Guild Wars 2

Lineage Eternal(?)

Wildstar

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Avarix
    No... just no. I won't derail any more than stating NO!

As for the OP, I fear most of the people in this thread are right. There are one or two that MAY do those things and get them right but that's in the future. For now it may be best to take a break from the genre (And I don't mean that in any demeaning manner. I'm a bit sad that it's the best advice I can give.) The optimist in me will continue looking for that game, while the realist in me is saying "Walk away for at least a few years!".

Edit: Manor is not the same as manner :(

You say NO, like many other nay sayers on this thread, yet provide zero counter arguments?  GW2 is offering a lot of what people are looking for in an MMO, and a LOT of what the OP is looking for.  Huge, seemless world that rewards exploration, with a great sandbox feel to it.  A non-WoWish quest system that makes sense, feels alive and is actually fun.  Competitive PVP. Mass-Scale Siege PVP.

Insanely customizable chracters (everything from appearance,  weapon/skill choices, traits, gear, gear enhancements, character story and attitude).

What else could you possibly want from an MMO?  Oh it's not a Korean RNG grinder?  There isn't a system where you're forced to group up with a raid of 40+ players to wack at the current "Big boss" so you can maybe get some "uber gear", so that you can be ready to go wack at the next big boss?

Seriously, it's obvious that you and many others on this thread have never even played GW2 and assume it's just GW1.5.  You couldn't be further from the truth.  I feel sorry for you though, because you're actually missing out on a quality game, the likes of which we haven't seen in many years.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• TESO I suppose, but I won't be surprised at all if it turns out to suck.

• WhyhateWhyhate Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Gallus85

As for the OP, I fear most of the people in this thread are right. There are one or two that MAY do those things and get them right but that's in the future. For now it may be best to take a break from the genre (And I don't mean that in any demeaning manner. I'm a bit sad that it's the best advice I can give.) The optimist in me will continue looking for that game, while the realist in me is saying "Walk away for at least a few years!".

You say NO, like many other nay sayers on this thread, yet provide zero counter arguments?  GW2 is offering a lot of what people are looking for in an MMO, and a LOT of what the OP is looking for.  Huge, seemless world that rewards exploration, with a great sandbox feel to it.  A non-WoWish quest system that makes sense, feels alive and is actually fun.  Competitive PVP. Mass-Scale Siege PVP.

Insanely customizable chracters (everything from appearance,  weapon/skill choices, traits, gear, gear enhancements, character story and attitude).

What else could you possibly want from an MMO?  Oh it's not a Korean RNG grinder?  There isn't a system where you're forced to group up with a raid of 40+ players to wack at the current "Big boss" so you can maybe get some "uber gear", so that you can be ready to go wack at the next big boss?

Seriously, it's obvious that you and many others on this thread have never even played GW2 and assume it's just GW1.5.  You couldn't be further from the truth.  I feel sorry for you though, because you're actually missing out on a quality game, the likes of which we haven't seen in many years.

GW2 is just another themepark.

There is no sandbox feel, it's a quest grinder with a new way to grind quests.

"What else could you possibly want from an MMO?"

More depth? More things to do than just kill stuff?

Housing? crafting with a real economy?

OP, wait for The Repopulation and ArcheAge, everything else looks like a 6 month filler at best.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

There are a lot of triple 'A' titles on the way that have the potential to be just like all the other triple 'A' titles released in the past few years. The MMO band wagon rolls on, no matter how much more generic and EzMMode they have become.

Originally posted by Whyhate

OP, wait for The Repopulation and ArcheAge, everything else looks like a 6 month filler at best.

Ok as a person who did like the crafting in Vanguard:SOH, there hasn't been a game since that comes close. So I will give it to you that GW2 might not have the greatest crafting system of all time, but it is good and they do obviously care about it.  You can level a character from 1 to 80 on crafting alone and there will be items that come solely from crafting (that's good for crafting for profit) so I don't know why you think GW2 won't have a real economy.

As for "It's a quest grinder"  this is incorrect.  You get massive experience from exploring, crafting, and doing the vantage point climbing objectives (I think you were wanting more to do than just kill stuff***).  In fact, a good amount of objectives and DE's I ran into didn't even involve killing things (Some transformed me into an animal and I had to spend time with other similar animals, and another was a riddle game.  One was a "class" given by a mage on in game Lore and I was given a sort of writen exam at the end lol)

The quests aren't just thrown into the game as a "check the block to get exp" like in other MMOs.  The quests take the form area objectives (Gather broken portal parts so a mage can rebuild a portal) and Dynamic quests, which are a live event that will change the surrounding area, and other follow on dynamic quests when you succeed, fail, or or simply ignore the event.

This makes the game more like an RPG.  It gives the enemies in the game a sense of life, instead of, say Archeage, where you roam around and kill orcs that are standing around in a field doing NOTHING. 

GW2's PVE can be compared to a sort of Multiplayer Skyrim or Oblivion.  The Dynamic Events are kind of like the battle for Whiterun or Lord Dagon attacking the city and then there are the area objectives that are like the do-at-your-own-pace quests in TES series games.

So basically, your only valid complaint so far is that the game doesn't have player housing.... it also doesn't have flying brooms, should we talk about how GW2 sucks because you can't fly around on a broom like harry potter??

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I'm looking forward to EQnext mainly.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

Originally posted by jayanti

I'm looking forward to EQnext mainly.

Only if they make it like VG imo :)

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755

Full world MMOs _does_ exist. So far they havent been all that successful, most likely because of the lack of marketing though.

Anarchy Online  - Funcom, go figure why they have abandoned all the technology where they were years ahead of the competition, but full world it is. Granted the new The Secret World _has_ lost the singleserver technology, but TSW still has a lot of loading screens. Age of Conan was critizised for exactly that, so Funcom obviously havent been listening.

Entropia (swedish mmo) has probably the best designed world of all MMOs, but it is a small company and they have adopted "real world" money, which also limits the audience.

But new games are coming. The MMO game engine called "Big World" not only offers "full world" landscape, they also have the technology to "load as you go", to avoid any loading screens.

I believe those 2 things will be the future of MMOs, but it will take a lot of time before developers realized the financial benefits that this technology actually offers. Developers are pretty dumb, slow and likes to copy existing successes and they often also hire very "limited" game designers, offering only very little innovation. But I doubt that they will be able to stop evolution in the long run...

Ok as a person who did like the crafting in Vanguard:SOH, there hasn't been a game since that comes close. So I will give it to you that GW2 might not have the greatest crafting system of all time, but it is good and they do obviously care about it.  You can level a character from 1 to 80 on crafting alone and there will be items that come solely from crafting (that's good for crafting for profit) so I don't know why you think GW2 won't have a real economy.

As for "It's a quest grinder"  this is incorrect.  You get massive experience from exploring, crafting, and doing the vantage point climbing objectives (I think you were wanting more to do than just kill stuff***).  In fact, a good amount of objectives and DE's I ran into didn't even involve killing things (Some transformed me into an animal and I had to spend time with other similar animals, and another was a riddle game.  One was a "class" given by a mage on in game Lore and I was given a sort of writen exam at the end lol)

The quests aren't just thrown into the game as a "check the block to get exp" like in other MMOs.  The quests take the form area objectives (Gather broken portal parts so a mage can rebuild a portal) and Dynamic quests, which are a live event that will change the surrounding area, and other follow on dynamic quests when you succeed, fail, or or simply ignore the event.

This makes the game more like an RPG.  It gives the enemies in the game a sense of life, instead of, say Archeage, where you roam around and kill orcs that are standing around in a field doing NOTHING. 

GW2's PVE can be compared to a sort of Multiplayer Skyrim or Oblivion.  The Dynamic Events are kind of like the battle for Whiterun or Lord Dagon attacking the city and then there are the area objectives that are like the do-at-your-own-pace quests in TES series games.

So basically, your only valid complaint so far is that the game doesn't have player housing.... it also doesn't have flying brooms, should we talk about how GW2 sucks because you can't fly around on a broom like harry potter??

Never said that GW2 sucks.

But again, it's just another game where you finish all the content, PVP a bit, and leave, there is no depth, no lasting appeal, once you finish all those kill 10 dynamic events there is literally nothing to do but esport PVP and zerg pvp.

If you read the OP, GW2 is clearly not the game for him, since he wants a more open and sandbox experience with freedom to do lots of stuff, player created content.

And no, picking 5 apples in a "dynamic way" does not count.

It's also funny how much do you hate a game you know nothing about.

Don't worry, by the time ArcheAge arrives in the US you will be bored to death of GW2, where the same scripted events happens every 30 minutes.

He even named SWG lol, op wants a sandbox, GW2 is a themepark.

But again, it's just another game where you finish all the content, PVP a bit, and leave, there is no depth, no lasting appeal, once you finish all those kill 10 dynamic events there is literally nothing to do but esport PVP and zerg pvp.

If you read the OP, GW2 is clearly not the game for him, since he wants a more open and sandbox experience with freedom to do lots of stuff, player created content.

Don't worry, by the time ArcheAge arrives in the US you will be bored to death of GW2, where the same scripted events happens every 30 minutes.

GW2 is more sandbox than Themepark.  The devs have already stated the Dynamic events will continue to be added to the game so it's not like "you just run out of things to do".

Also, the fact that hitting level 80 will not require you to go to every area in the game, and all 35 dungeons, the dynamic battlefield PVE Orr zone and all other the content from 1 to 80 is available to do at any time by any amount of players, all of this is NON-INSTANCED.

Show me a pure sandbox that has that much to do and I'll gladly go play it.

WvWvW is all player run.  Everyone gets their starting areas and from there it's anyone's game.  It's pretty far from Zerg pvp (you'd know this had you played the game at all) because you can't control the map by throwing 1000 people onto one spot. There are hundreds of objectives and spots to conquer and defend.  It makes Shadowbane's "sandbox sieging" look like a joke.

I've played archeage, and been following it for a long time now (I play almost all the big title Korean games because, for one, when I was in the military I was stationed in Korea, and 2 because I speak and read korean pretty well as a side effect of being there for over 5 years and some change)

It's the same old Quest-NPC -> go kill mobs standing in a field style PVE with flashy asian combat animations (But boring combat system).  As far as PVE goes the game is going to be shallow.  The only thing that game is going to appeal to is OW Zerg/Gank PVP and people who have a hard on for a housing system. 

The boat battles are a great idea but atm it's extremely buggy and will probably end up like Vanguard's boat system because they don't seem to be putting much effort into it.

In any case, hate all you want, GW2 is not a standard "themepark" otherwise I wouldn't be talking it up.  GW2 offers that "feel" of a seemless, non-instanced sandbox world without all the terrible and boring/broken mechanics of a sandbox.

It's more of a hybrid (only because BG and OW PVP are seperate areas), and it's clear the only one here who's talking about games they never played is YOU.

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

how do you do to play all those games before release?

I would like to try Archage or GW2 too, I like more Sandbox gameplay than themepark so I'm interested in both.

I've been playing mostly Wurm Eve and Xsyon. I stopped playing Xsyon for some time waiting for the totem decay, and the upcomming revenants . And I have to say that the feeling in Xsyon has changed a lot, you are not safe anymore, revenants everywhere ha ha . lol Those revenants are funny and hard at the same time.

The first game i've seen  where zombies loot players armor and weapons lol

You can see them here http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/514/view/screens/display/25978

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

Archeage .

Nuff said,

+1... this looks like the only promising MMORPG to look after in the future.

oh and World Of Darkness... Sandbox EVE style on a TSW map ;) 

Both games Sandboxed and Open worlds !!image

GW2 is more sandbox than Themepark.

LOL, are you serious.

There is nothing sandbox about GW2, nothing, it's all dev created content.

The fact that you can go to different areas to lvl up doens't make it a sandbox lol.

Oh so you played ArcheAge? really? when? LOL

In GW2, you either grind dynamic events, instanced dungeons, or WwW PVP, there is nothing else to do, it's just another hyped themepark.

In ArcheAge, if you are grinding kill 10 quests, you are doing it wrong, there is literally hundreds of stuff to do, from fishing, cooking, making your own house, ship, even a town with your guild.

Plus it also has Dynamic Events... but i guess you didn't find them when you played it (lol).

GW2 is an open themepark, that's it, it's not a sandbox, do you even know what a sandbox is? have you played one in your life?

GW2 offers seamless non instanced world? what?

There are loading screens between all the zones, the dungeons are instanced, where is the open seamless non instanced stuff you are talking about?

GW2 is not a sandbox, it's a themepark, there is no sand, shallow crafting, shallow player interaction (soft grouping, PVP against random servers with no-name players in pre-defined zones with pre-defined objectives, plus you don't own anything there)

You can't interact with the world in any way, you can't build anything, the crafting seems useless, where is the sandbox? reallly? just because it's open doesn't make it a sandbox.

DAoC was open and it wasn't a sandbox, EQ, Lineage 2, those where open themeparks, not sandboxes, and if i may add, with much more freedom than GW2.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Yep. Its a perfect parabola of hype and despair.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Surprisingly enough Planeside 2 could be a big surprise.

Further down the line Archeage, if they can implement all the nice feature the right way in reality.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by liliyo
    Originally posted by nilden
    Originally posted by cinos

Actually agree with you on the last point. LOL IS NOT AN MMO!

Then I look at the current advert banner dominating this site and I see why it's here.

Seems so long as this site can make some money from it, any game is an MMO.

LOL is an MMO the same way Diablo 3 is. The only potential I see is wasted potential.

except that diablo 3 is not an mmo start dealing with this already cant believe ppl stil lsaying D is an mmo ffs

I was being sarcastic because I got my post deleted in the Diablo 3 review saying it wasn't an MMORPG. Just to be clear D3 and LOL are both not MMO's. Pointing out that D3 isn't an MMORPG in the official review by MMORPG.com was off-topic. My point being it's hard to see any potential when they can't even identify that a game isn't a MMO and anything seems to fit under the MMO umbrella.

"Just a reminder that off-topic posts will be removed. The topic is the Diablo III review (and the game), not our overall editorial policy and it's certainly not attacking the staff here. If you wish to discuss editorial policy, we have a thread in the Site Suggestions forum for that discussion. There are ways to disagree with someone's arguments and opinions without resorting to personal attacks." - Amana

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/