Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is the new WOW...

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I seriously doubt that 95% of the GW2 "critics" are negative about the game just because it is very popular.

The OP cannot imagine how anyone can NOT like GW2, so his conclusion is that the criticism is only a form a jealousy because the game is "so popular".

Most people's evaluation of a game is emotional. They either like the gameplay or they don't, and that is usually entirely subjective. If you really enjoy playing a game, you will be prepared to ignore a lot of its problems, because you enjoy the overall experience. That's where the term "fanboi" originates.

If you don't really enjoy how a game plays, you will generally be far less tolerant of "issues" in the game. Those issues become deal-breakers, and you will most likely voice your criticism loudly (specially if you had "high hopes" for the game). Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. You will most likely be termed a "hater" by everyone who IS enjoying the gameplay.

I will not be playing GW2, and I'll keep my reasons to myself. I'm not in the habit of endlessly posting in forums of games that I "don't like", because I know that my views are mostly subjective. Besides, I'm usually too busy posting in my favourite game forum :)

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

GW2 the new WoW? I will say one thing... lolz, not a chance.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• It is on its way but Anet doesn't quite have the legions of Blizzard-zombies that existed even before WoW was released.

I have never thought Blizzard deseerved the cult-like devotion it has.  But that is one reason people hate WoW so much is they see the cult of Blizzard.  Its really the cult they hate.

If anything I think GW2 is feeling the negative results of that cult without really having a cult.  You get the typical fanboi/hater crap that exists everyehwere (MMORPGs, Sports, what have you).  You all sorts of comparisons and dumb overly protective responses to them but you don't really have the cult.  At least not yet.

Blizzard has, or at least had, something more than just brand loyalty.   I think its done alot to undermine it but it had blind faith.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

This is the internet. Any game, especially with large numbers, will have trolls and haters who are generally easy to spot as they have the biggest mouths. I don't feel like GW2 has copped it too much worse then say Diablo 3 or even TERA, maybe a little because GW2 has been hailed the saviour of MMOs especially on this site, which it may be. I really do like how they are doing things differently and I hope other developers keep down the path od doing things "differently".

• Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I seriously doubt that 95% of the GW2 "critics" are negative about the game just because it is very popular.

The OP cannot imagine how anyone can NOT like GW2, so his conclusion is that the criticism is only a form a jealousy because the game is "so popular".

Most people's evaluation of a game is emotional. They either like the gameplay or they don't, and that is usually entirely subjective. If you really enjoy playing a game, you will be prepared to ignore a lot of its problems, because you enjoy the overall experience. That's where the term "fanboi" originates.

If you don't really enjoy how a game plays, you will generally be far less tolerant of "issues" in the game. Those issues become deal-breakers, and you will most likely voice your criticism loudly (specially if you had "high hopes" for the game). Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. You will most likely be termed a "hater" by everyone who IS enjoying the gameplay.

I will not be playing GW2, and I'll keep my reasons to myself. I'm not in the habit of endlessly posting in forums of games that I "don't like", because I know that my views are mostly subjective. Besides, I'm usually too busy posting in my favourite game forum :)

Alot of the criticisms are quite vapid or seemingly purposely obtuse.

I am not saying there are not valid criticisms but the vast majority are frankly rather sad and the people making can do nothing but repeat them when provided with valid reason about why they are off base.

Many of them are just so obviously a stretch where they are just trying to find a pretext for their irrational dislike.

You see them all the time.  Things like "oh the event system is the same as a WoW-style quest system because they share the same constituent components".  Right....... and all life on earth is exactly the same because they all use proteins as foundational building blocks and reactive substances.

When these people are provided with the fact that timing, consequence, acquring of said events are all quite different that a WoW shopping list quest log.  They ignore it.  They ignore three amazingly important things.  You ignore timing and you are incompetent.  Period.  End of story.  Timing is one of the most universally important things throughout all aspects of life.

Some person wants to say they think Tera combat is better than GW2 combat that is fine.  I don't agree but I can definitely see where they are coming from.  There is some solid ground to stand on.  But so many of the other criticism ... well they are just pathetic.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ahem, there are two sides to every coin.

While its true that some folks will eschew something because its popular (and frequently with good cause) there are equally (if not more) people who will support something just because everyone else does (jumping on the bandwagon)

WOW is definitely that sort of title.  I've read countless posts where people admit the only reason they play WOW is because their friends do, that in fact they dislike the actual game or have become bored with it yet still keep playing just because everyone else is.

MMORPG's in general suffer from this phenomenon, look how many people flock to the populated games/servers, and will leave in droves if they perceive them as being lower in population.

And no, you don't really need 5000K active  players per server to enjoy a game, but that's what people's perceptions are these days. (Why, I don' t know when they spend most of their time soloing, why should they care?)

Now I am one of the 5 gamers on earth who has yet to experience GW2 in any way.  I haven't read up on it in any great detail, participated in no beta's, and I'm going to walk into the title on launch day totally cold. 

So I can't say whether or not GW2 is really the next best thing since sliced bread, but I'll soon find out.

Regardless, GW2 reportedly breaks the mold in a couple of key "traditons" of MMORPG's, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.   Unlike many modern day gamers, I actually like MMORPG's and the mechanics they've employed in the past, so not sure I want things to change. (So far most change hasn't been something I've felt made the genre better, quite the contrary in fact).

But I'll give it a try regardless, because I've learned to find the fun in every new title, even if it usually only lasts a month or three.

2nd best response in this thread, right  after mine ofc.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

And this is another 2nd best post in this thread.

+1

• spinesplitspinesplit Member Posts: 115

What is keeping me from trying this game is the fan base, they seem to think its the best game ever made and from a distance..i just dont see it.I have not tried the game so i can not comment on the gameplay or anything...but the fans make me not even care to try it.If you say anything negative, even constructive about this game you will just get flamed to death.This type of gamer makes me not want to play mmos anymore. So does the *instant gratification* gamer but thats for a different day :)

Guild wars 2 looks like a great game...there are certain thing i just dont like about its design but i do like that its different.The biggest design choice i dont like is the pvp. I only usually pve in games to have that extra edge in pvp with a shiny new piece of gear. I dont want games to be completely gear centric but i like to grind and grind for better stats that will give me some edge.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I've seen no proof of this, everyone who I saw said they didn't like it, including myself, had legitimate reasons, not because we think we're edgy by hating on something popular.  I know the people you are talking about and they get right on my nerves... Don't think they exist in a large quanitity in MMOs because people want to have fun playing a game they like, right?  So if they like a game, they wouldn't like it and hate on it just because its popular?  I'm sure those people don't represent the majority of people who do not like this title.

I'm sure you are just trying to rationalise the slight disappointment and negativity on the forums the past week.

I've seen a few reasonable posts critiquing GW2, where it was obvious the poster had played the game, and had opinions based on those experiences. When I read those I had absolutely no issue at all with the negative reviews. I absolutely respect those comments. - In life we dont all want the same things, and certainly it would be dumb and naive to insist that something good to me, has to appeal to everyone. The world doesnt work that way.

Having said that, I have read many other posts that had no foundation in what the game actually is. People arguing that quests were stale and annoying to do, when anyone who played GW2 knows that quests - or hearts - are not a necessity to playing the game, atleast there are so many one can skip the ones that fall flat. I personally did this by moving to other racial areas, hunting events and skillpoints, rather than locking myself in to content that didnt interest me.

From this I gather, alot of players carry over ideas on how the game world works, based off of other mmo's where you are punished if you venture off the beaten track in the themepark world. GW2 does not work that way, but ultimately as a player you can restrict yourself into a situation where you place artificial restraints on your game experience, - restraints you brought with you, rather than ones that the game impose. - From this I find it is important to view certain negative posts for what they are. Players who are so indoctrinated from the mmo's that came before, that they simply dont get how GW2 works, - but that they might actually have found the game fun, had they allowed themselves more freedom and curiosity while playing the game. 

I tend to respect when someone says they dislike a feature when I can read that they tried it out, understod its relation in the game, and still were not happy with it. But when I can see that the player simply did not understand the mechanism they are upset with, and how it correlates to the game world, I dont pay much attention to it. Suffice it to say, the times I have, and gone to the lengths of explaining how it actually works, the same persons have ignored or completely written off my suggestions for them to change their experience within the game. Such criticisms and negativity is not constructive, and while I wouldnt call it trollish, I'd call it ; a mindset that is pretty limiting to the person himself, and doesnt ultimately hurt or affect me in any way whatsoever.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Personally i still see WoW as both the cadillac and ever so slowly dying king of traditional style MMOs and it will be for a long time, Wow is so much the king in fact that it over and over again destroys its fresh meat new cloned competition in the traditional subbed mmo industry and for those that cling to yesteryears ways or are new to gaming both young or old Wow will still be the king for a while..

However in its domination of near MMORPG perfection and uniform formulation over all these years there was several unknown factors at the time that began to slowly come into play..

One of these being how many long time players would burn out on WoWs treadmill and raid system and desire something different, something fun yet deep but the call for such a game generally fell on deaf corporate ears as they were to concerned about trying to make the next clone with a twist and become the next WoW..

Enter GW2:

The OP could be correct in saying GW2 may be the next WoW..

Anet has taken basicly the same path in which blizzard took to the bank in the sense of bringing all the best ideas of the best modern MMos and added their own evolutionary twists and innovations to bring us the anti-WoW MMORPG..

Anet being gamers themselves and having a great business model realized there is potentially millions of displaced/disgruntled gamers looking for something different and fun and that more new disgruntled gamers are being made every day and they chose to go down the same path as blizzard but in a different direction, not unlike WoW done in 2004 with dubbing itself "EQ done right" in which so many of us were literally starving for..

Personally i see GW2 as the next big thing and over time overtaking WoW player number wise as it declines and blizzard prepares and focuses on the titan project..

As much as i and many of us love GW2 it still has some unknown factors and has to survive and thrive the test of time something i am confident GW2 can do but its something WoW has already done..

Edit:

I hunger for what GW2 brings to the table just like i hungered for and craved for what WoW brought in the day and this was a feeling i never thought i would have again..

Playing GW2..

• I understand that for every new hyped up MMO that comes out some people will love it, some will hate it, and of course others will be somewhere in the middle (or not care at all).  What I don't understand is why many who tried it and hated it feel the need to go on a crusade to bash it at every opportunity.  I'm not talking about having a reasonable discussion on the things that people see as shortcomings, but that's the exception, not the norm.  Usually it's just as the OP described, unjustifiable and unwarranted game bashing.

If I try a game and don't like it I might post some parting feedback, but after that I'm done with that game's forums.  Why would I not leave if I didn't like it?  Let the people who do like it have their discussions.  I'd be wasting my time and not contributing to the game in any way by lurking around.  It makes no sense to me, and just like the OP, I think their intentions are questionable.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Elikal

in terms of trolling and anti-trolling. Really, guys, following the GW2 discussion here and on other forums that already a process has begun which so far was WOWs hallmark: it gets critizised because it is very succesful, and some people just LOVE to bash something popular to establish their underdog/anti-mainstream identity. You know these kinda guys (and it IS usally guys!) from school, university, as work colleagues and neighbour: the guy who always hates Harry Potter and Star Wars, who always reads obscure literature he calls "classics" and weird French movies und usually dresses in black. The anti. The rebel without a cause, but to attack everything that is mass popular to show how very ELITE he is.

Eli... it is 100% valid to like stuff that isn't mainstream, no need to try to demean people and put them down just because they like something that you might not of heard of.

It is also ok to criticise the mainstream. It is ok to watch world cinema. It dosen't make you some kind of 'elitest'. Often the mainstream DEMANDS to be criticised, because often the mainstream is shit. You honestly sound like you are just trying to pull  'some' people that like something you don't into the same ditch.

Personally, I like both mainstream and 'alt' stuff, as long as it suits me and my tastes. Neither one is a closed ghetto to be lived in, both offer up amazing stuff at their best. I embrace both. It certainly dosen't rile me that someone might prefer 'Of Gods and Men' (not that it is 'underground or 'weird') to 'The Avengers'.

(And Harry Potter IS shit, in my opinion, and Star Wars HASN'T been good since the first trilogy, in my opinion. You are entitled to yours)

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    I think the criticism is good. It may help the development of the game in the long run. You cannot please everyone so let them point out their perceived flaws of the product. It is not a personal thing Elikial. Diversity in tastes is a good thing!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• XXXNemesis3XXXXNemesis3X Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by dageeza

Personally i still see WoW as both the cadillac and ever so slowly dying king of traditional style MMOs and it will be for a long time, Wow is so much the king in fact that it over and over again destroys its fresh meat new cloned competition in the traditional subbed mmo industry and for those that cling to yesteryears ways or are new to gaming both young or old Wow will still be the king for a while..

However in its domination of near MMORPG perfection and uniform formulation over all these years there was several unknown factors at the time that began to slowly come into play..

One of these being how many long time players would burn out on WoWs treadmill and raid system and desire something different, something fun yet deep but the call for such a game generally fell on deaf corporate ears as they were to concerned about trying to make the next clone with a twist and become the next WoW..

Enter GW2:

The OP could be correct in saying GW2 may be the next WoW..

Anet has taken basicly the same path in which blizzard took to the bank in the sense of bringing all the best ideas of the best modern MMos and added their own evolutionary twists and innovations to bring us the anti-WoW MMORPG..

Anet being gamers themselves and having a great business model realized there is potentially millions of displaced/disgruntled gamers looking for something different and fun and that more new disgruntled gamers are being made every day and they chose to go down the same path as blizzard but in a different direction, not unlike WoW done in 2004 with dubbing itself "EQ done right" in which so many of us were literally starving for..

Personally i see GW2 as the next big thing and over time overtaking WoW player number wise as it declines and blizzard prepares and focuses on the titan project..

As much as i and many of us love GW2 it still has some unknown factors and has to survive and thrive the test of time something i am confident GW2 can do but its something WoW has already done..

Edit:

I hunger for what GW2 brings to the table just like i hungered for and craved for what WoW brought in the day and this was a feeling i never thought i would have again..

This. New gamers have such a short memory. They forgot something important, World Of Warcraft was not build in 1 day. People slowly merged into this game and it eventually became what is it today. At first, when WoW was released, it had a lot of draw back, but blizzard never gave up and they listened the community which made it what it is today.

Arena Net wanted to offer something different, The Anti Wow-Style, Which is quite good because people leaving WoW does not want to get into a new MMORPG that will be like it. If I wanted to play a game like WoW, I would play WoW because I know WoW is just better than any WoW wanna be...

finally, We are starting to see revolution in the MMORPG industrie and I hope it continue that way because the WoW model is outdated for me. That's why I am moving toward to Guild Wars 2. I played it, I liked it, and I don't fell like I need to argue more. If those hater help to make a kind of shield that protect this game from bringing Jerk, I have no problem with it, because the game breaker for me is when the community is meh...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Puraimaru

Highly disagree! GW2 is not the new WoW! Its way different to WoW even though it is also better and more improved.  Very Silly thread OP

That wasn't the point the OP was trying to make.

I THINK the point that the OP was trying to make is that GW2 is like WoW in one major aspect: they are both fairly popular, and while both have things that can be legitimately criticized, there are some people who rail against both of them JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAR.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to say, not that GW2 is or is not like WOW in game terms.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

GW2 is the next step in MMO evolution.

UO - EQ (3D) - DAoC (first decent PvP) - WoW - GW2

It will not be the new WoW, it will be the first GW2

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Sorry, but that's not true. I think EVE and Planetside are very good games, but I totally hate them. The people who love EVE and Planetside explained quite well why they love it, and I can accept and respect that. If someone explains it well, I can accept different opinions and tastes. But in terms of WOW I have seen too many unreasonable and purely childish attacks which just made no sense. I mean, WOW HAS enough points to critizise it, but I guess success attracts critics who want to make themselves appear "elite" by critizising something that masses liked.

Happens with books and movies and fashion and many other stuff.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

I dont think GW2 will so much of an epic success in a long term, but I can see other mmo devs stealing stuff from it to their mmos for sure :)

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Eir_S

A good insight, but much like WoW, GW2 will be able to withstand the critics, so the only losers are those who refuse to play for some misguided loyalty to another game.

+1

As usual you talk sense and have hit the nail on the head...

Bandit.

Asbo

• joartsiljoartsil Member Posts: 21

I'm interested in the creative snobbery others have touched on here, which of course isn't limited to video games.

We see it right across the creative spectrum, especially in music. Y'know, that new indie band, with the charismatic lead singer, and some original songs. They attract a loyal following because they are new and edgy and, very importantly to 'musos', nobody's heard of them; those bands out there on the margins, where their loyal  fans have a voice and an identity.

But woe betide that little band that sells out to the mainstream. A plague upon you!!

I think this quote from one of my favourite all-time movies, The Commitments, sums it up quite well:

Outspan: Cos you know everything about music, Jimmy. You had the Frankie Goes To Hollywood album before anyone had ever heard of them. And you were the first to realise they were shite.

I'm not bothered about the WoW v GW2 debate, which seems quite tribal in nature - love v hate, like so much. Both are big IPs, both will make money.

I think creative snobbery in the MMO genre tends to manifest itself more in sandbox v themepark discussions, though I couldn't possibly say where I think most of the snobs in that debate reside.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

in terms of trolling and anti-trolling. Really, guys, following the GW2 discussion here and on other forums that already a process has begun which so far was WOWs hallmark: it gets critizised because it is very succesful, and some people just LOVE to bash something popular to establish their underdog/anti-mainstream identity. You know these kinda guys (and it IS usally guys!) from school, university, as work colleagues and neighbour: the guy who always hates Harry Potter and Star Wars, who always reads obscure literature he calls "classics" and weird French movies und usually dresses in black. The anti. The rebel without a cause, but to attack everything that is mass popular to show how very ELITE he is.

You know, if your taste really and honestly is different or special, I am the first to respect that. Really. But I can't help but feel for a whole lot of folks it is POSING. Otherwise you wouldn't show off it so vehemently and vulgar. (sorry)

I know WoW has enough points to be critizised, and GW2 will also have points we find worth to critizise. But the different between an honest critique and a trolling basher is, that trolling is unfounded commonplaces while critique is reasonable in words and based on experience and facts. We had so many "this game sucks, it has dragged everything down, it is for noobs" unsubstantial attacks. We have that on every MMO, given, but in the case of WOW it simply has a MUCH more vast number. It has this point where a leap of quantity became a change of quality, and in this case in trolling.

And that is what I see with GW2, alas, already. People not critizising actual stuff in GW2, but BASHING. Guys, you know if something feel wrong to me, I will always critizise a game. But go inside yourself and ask yourself: am I attacking GW2 because of something I experienced and disliked, or do I critizise GW2 *maybe* because it is becoming so popular? Lie to us, if you must, but be at least honest to yourself.

Just something I wanted to say in the already evolving (and probably unavoidable) trollwars. I always respect serious and reasonable opponents in opinion. But unfounded trolling is just making you look silly, silly.

I don't see anything differently going on with GW2 then any other game on this site. I have been around awhile - longer then my account would suggest ; ) This game bashing has been going on forever, with every game. And it gets worse just before release. It was awful with Conan, it was awful with Final Fantasy 14 (deserved..lol) it was awful with TOR, Tera, and TSW. It's just as bad as usual. 

It's this weird need that people have for their "thing" to be the "best". And it's not just here. Go to the graphic card forums and check out the ATI vs. Nvidia - Go to a tech site and watch the Android vs. Apple debate. It's rampant. And it's sad. It's self interest plain and simple and it isn't going anywhere until people wake up and move past it. Which isn't going to happen. 

I must be some sort of weirdo myself as I like and play TSW... and I really enjoyed and will play GW2 - 

• quikmixxquikmixx Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Eir_S

A good insight, but much like WoW, GW2 will be able to withstand the critics, so the only losers are those who refuse to play for some misguided loyalty to another game.

Im not sure i follow you here. So somebody who decides not to play guild wars 2 is a loser or misguided. Im suprised no one has call you out on how idiotic your statement sounds. Have you ever considered that they may not like the game? Not every person is going to like a game you like. They have their reasons to dislike the game for the same reasons you may like the game.

The only similarity i can see between guild wars 2 and wow are how delusional both communities seem to be when it involves anything dealing with their game.

The only thing that makes the WOW community seem less obnoxious is the fact they they have the numbers(sales) to back their statements.

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37

You should be careful with trivilasing different opinions as snobbery or haters. Sure it's a real problem but I'm also sure many are disappointed, have valid criticism or simply didn't enjoy playing it while being fully aware of the game mechanics. 

I've not tried GW2 yet but is interested, still I can easily see that inane fanboys and haters are a problem (mostly in their bad behaviour mixed with tunnel vision).

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I expected you to know better Elikal, as I have seen you around these forums enough to know how it works, wool must have been pulled over your eyes. GWII is nothing more than the next flavor of the month. Every high profile title themepark gets a lot of "disscussions".

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

GW2 is the next step in MMO evolution.

UO - EQ (3D) - DAoC (first decent PvP) - WoW - GW2

It will not be the new WoW, it will be the first GW2

ER, you can take off the fan glasses for a moment.

Realize you missed the point of the OP entirely, reread and come back again please.image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

This discussion has been closed.