Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like this game, new to F2P Aion

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Over the years I've seen a bunch of anti-Aion propaganda (mostly on WoW sites), but I tried this game anyways, since it was free.

And Free speeks.

The game engine is really good, I joined a guild (mostly nubs like me) and we all asked the higher ups, "why is this game free?" and they chuckled, and said "This game is great when people play it, welcome."

Aion is a good example of an awesome F2P system.  Download for free, play for free.

NCSoft realizes that to make a F2P MMO popular, some people have to play .. for free !! (like me).. Populate a server with friends, and magic happens :)

I'm not cheap, I'd give money to this model .. as opposed to say Blizzard who has a game going in the toilet ...

I think F2P is a good future, and NCSoft did a good job.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397

I really like the model too. I wrote an article recently about it.

http://morgaren.hubpages.com/hub/Aion-Ascension-A-new-philosphy-in-Free-to-Play

I find the whole philosophy behind the model to be refreshing, and quite risky but I think it will work for them in the long run.

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99

I think this quote says it all

"No account restrictions. Visit any zone, chat in any channel, sell any amount of stuff on the trade broker—nothing is off limits!"

Unlike and everquest 2 that basically restricts everything you do unless you pay 14.99 a month.

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

Its the best f2p mmorpg out there easily and with 3.0 its simply amazing

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

Yes its hard to believe that this game is really f2p there is more content etc then many p2p mmos and its very high quality.

• laolsgesgelaolsgesge Member Posts: 9

The new Aion 3.0 F2P is very good for someone whos looking for a F2P kinda mmo.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

lots of good in Aion, still some bad though too. I see no sense in paying a sub for games when Aion is  free.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I like it. It does have a lot of gold sinks though. And lvling crafting is so so awful.

I'd like it more if mobs died faster. Even ones below your level take a bit.

Its amazing you get so much for free.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

Aion does have the best free to play model of all the f2p titles out there but please do not make aion sound like its such a great title when its a triple A title that failed badly with subscription. Aion is a asian grinder from day one and its taken them all these years to finally get it through their thick heads that the west do not like grinding and forced pvp. Yes it had forced pvp at release and for a long time after even on pve servers. Anyone that has played aion before 3.0 can tell you how grind heavy the game was back at release and why people left in droves. You guys forget Aion was called a wow killer before it released just like warhammer and rift and many other titles that fell short.

Also you guys shouldnt blame wow propaganda , it makes you sound like your wearing a tin foil hat. WoW players isnt what caused aions problems it was aion itself that did with crappy patches for years and tons of grind.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I like how they really and truly went free to play.

Everquest and EQ2 did it completely wrong.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

i can agree totally here as EQ2 and even turbine now show how greedy they really are but hey as long as people keep spending money in their cash shops they will continue to be greedy . So we as players have to put our own foot down sometimes and make a statement.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by tet666

Yes its hard to believe that this game is really f2p there is more content etc then many p2p mmos and its very high quality.

That would be because Aion was a P2P MMO that tanked and so had to be given the F2P treatment. it was always a good game. it just never had any traction in the west and many found forced pvp annoying.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Originally posted by tet666

That would be because Aion was a P2P MMO that tanked and so had to be given the F2P treatment. it was always a good game. it just never had any traction in the west and many found forced pvp annoying.

I think the bots and patch that ruined siege war in the abyss had more to do with it than people simply disliking PvP, although I do remember the nerf to rifting and having to camp out in the enemy territory in order to enjoy it post nerf.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Aion is not a bad game. It just had some weaknesses that turned people off. Stuff like:

- bizzare randomness in everything, drops, enchanting, skills landing, socketing. It is not uncommon for people to do 100+ boss runs and get nothing usable. Some spend 100s of millions on socketing a single gear piece, others get it on first try. etc Aion rewards luck better then effort.

- Long cooldowns on good skills, raids etc make the randonmess feel even worse

- +++enchanted PVP gear giving a sick advantage while being really hard to get (no, the lowbie sets are crap, even at +10, these days you need 55 eternal at +10 or will explode when a sorc is looking into your general direction)

- Missing server side check for lots of stuff. That allows people to walk through walls, disable gravity to get everywhere and gank melee classes that have no chance to fight back, kill bosses without getting hit once and so on

- Widespread usage of radar hack

- Class balance. Sorc > all - except maybe a lucky gank from an unexpected pro assa out of hide (while the sorc is afk, cooking tea and not using that widely used radar (;

You might not agree, but I've seen a lot of people leave due to these reasons.

LFG!
  • Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

I just started and am pretty much a nub to the game too, what server is your guild on?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I play an eloys on Kahrun if anybody wants to hook up.

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Karteli

Over the years I've seen a bunch of anti-Aion propaganda (mostly on WoW sites), but I tried this game anyways, since it was free.

And Free speeks.

The game engine is really good, I joined a guild (mostly nubs like me) and we all asked the higher ups, "why is this game free?" and they chuckled, and said "This game is great when people play it, welcome."

Aion is a good example of an awesome F2P system.  Download for free, play for free.

NCSoft realizes that to make a F2P MMO popular, some people have to play .. for free !! (like me).. Populate a server with friends, and magic happens :)

I'm not cheap, I'd give money to this model .. as opposed to say Blizzard who has a game going in the toilet ...

I think F2P is a good future, and NCSoft did a good job.

yea i too love aion.. and i even like to freely pvp, adds a lil spice to doing quests.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Pantera_Rosa

yea i too love aion.. and i even like to freely pvp, adds a lil spice to doing quests.

Yeah it's a good time :) I'm still having a good time.  P2P is so far gone to me, it's not even funny !

To the poster asking for my info, I don't give that away, sorry :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

For whatever reason my account does exist anymore!

I couldn't decide what class to play I was always jumping from Templar, Chanter, and Ranger!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!

Really enjoying the game alot more then I thought I would. Got invited to a cool legion, got my first pet and checked out the housing that looks very impressive.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I'm surprised over the F2P model they have. That you can acces all content without paying a cent.

However, I didn't like the game at launch, and I do not like it now.

• Still grind - even though its been dumped down alot, I dont feel joy when I complete the quests. Its feels grindy and boring
    • Boring quests - Aion is a old game now, and is from the time with the same old "collect x flowers" "kill xx animals"
    • Has the "asian" feel - I never liked asian games, which probably also is why I never liked Aion. Aion was my first Asian game though, which was why I didnt know how it would actually be like when I bought it at launch
    • Uninteresting world  - You can fly around on a limited time, and theres much to explore - but I dont feel like I want to explore
    • Boring and dull combat - My biggest problem with Aion, was the same as with the original Guild Wars - auto run after your target. When you as a melee class click on a enemy and start combat, your character automatic follows your target so you only have to focus on you action bar - Absolutely no go for me. Combo's didn't work me ne neither.
    I do realise some might find this game fun though. Personally I grabbed it again after it went F2P to kill some time before GW2, but realise my life is too short for grind.
  • GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I'm surprised over the F2P model they have. That you can acces all content without paying a cent.

However, I didn't like the game at launch, and I do not like it now.

• Still grind - even though its been dumped down alot, I dont feel joy when I complete the quests. Its feels grindy and boring
    • Boring quests - Aion is a old game now, and is from the time with the same old "collect x flowers" "kill xx animals"
    • Has the "asian" feel - I never liked asian games, which probably also is why I never liked Aion. Aion was my first Asian game though, which was why I didnt know how it would actually be like when I bought it at launch
    • Uninteresting world  - You can fly around on a limited time, and theres much to explore - but I dont feel like I want to explore
    • Boring and dull combat - My biggest problem with Aion, was the same as with the original Guild Wars - auto run after your target. When you as a melee class click on a enemy and start combat, your character automatic follows your target so you only have to focus on you action bar - Absolutely no go for me. Combo's didn't work me ne neither.
    I do realise some might find this game fun though. Personally I grabbed it again after it went F2P to kill some time before GW2, but realise my life is too short for grind.

I wanted to address this final bullet point since this poster said this was his biggest problem with Aion.  You have an option to turn this off so that you do not automatically run after your target.   Also, chain skills work well for me, I'm unsure why this poster had difficulties.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Grunim

I wanted to address this final bullet point since this poster said this was his biggest problem with Aion.  You have an option to turn this off so that you do not automatically run after your target.   Also, chain skills work well for me, I'm unsure why this poster had difficulties.

That is true. However, you pretty much nerf yourself when all these autobabies doesnt need to use skills to follow you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Mannish

I'm surprised, isn't that the lower population server? Or was that a plus?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Mannish

I'm surprised, isn't that the lower population server? Or was that a plus?

Back when 3.0 launched and the game went free they announced Kahrun as a new server and that you could pre make your toon there before the server even launched. I acutally pre made my toon back then because I wanted to be with the new people.

I dont know how it ranks as population but people are everywhere and now they even have a Fast Track server that you can join the same way you join another channel. The Fast Track server allows you to play with people from any server and you get double xp. So of course you now the Fast Track server has alot of people playing.

• VenthexVenthex Member UncommonPosts: 11

I have always enjoyed Aion, I jump in from time to time I even bought the game a few months before they announce it was going to be free to play I didn't mind I enjoyed the subscription I bought and I do not regret it. The game truly does the free to play model well, hopefully a lot more games that are planning to go free to play or just free to play titles in general follow NCSoft direction. :)