Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is the new WOW...

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

in terms of trolling and anti-trolling. Really, guys, following the GW2 discussion here and on other forums that already a process has begun which so far was WOWs hallmark: it gets critizised because it is very succesful, and some people just LOVE to bash something popular to establish their underdog/anti-mainstream identity. You know these kinda guys (and it IS usally guys!) from school, university, as work colleagues and neighbour: the guy who always hates Harry Potter and Star Wars, who always reads obscure literature he calls "classics" and weird French movies und usually dresses in black. The anti. The rebel without a cause, but to attack everything that is mass popular to show how very ELITE he is.

You know, if your taste really and honestly is different or special, I am the first to respect that. Really. But I can't help but feel for a whole lot of folks it is POSING. Otherwise you wouldn't show off it so vehemently and vulgar. (sorry)

I know WoW has enough points to be critizised, and GW2 will also have points we find worth to critizise. But the different between an honest critique and a trolling basher is, that trolling is unfounded commonplaces while critique is reasonable in words and based on experience and facts. We had so many "this game sucks, it has dragged everything down, it is for noobs" unsubstantial attacks. We have that on every MMO, given, but in the case of WOW it simply has a MUCH more vast number. It has this point where a leap of quantity became a change of quality, and in this case in trolling.

And that is what I see with GW2, alas, already. People not critizising actual stuff in GW2, but BASHING. Guys, you know if something feel wrong to me, I will always critizise a game. But go inside yourself and ask yourself: am I attacking GW2 because of something I experienced and disliked, or do I critizise GW2 *maybe* because it is becoming so popular? Lie to us, if you must, but be at least honest to yourself.

Just something I wanted to say in the already evolving (and probably unavoidable) trollwars. I always respect serious and reasonable opponents in opinion. But unfounded trolling is just making you look silly, silly.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Um, aren't you essentailly trolling by making a topic about trolling about a game compared to another game.   This is BOUND to end badly, and you very well know it.

I guess people passionately express their feeling for or against a game.   For many, it's more than a game "it's their life!" (insert crazy WoW guy who stabbed neighbor reference here).   So, when the game doesn't live up to their mental standards of what they specifically wanted, their emotions will spew foward about that.   Just the same, if they want another game and feel threatened by this one, they'll attack (sort of like animals do).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Um, aren't you essentailly trolling by making a topic about trolling about a game compared to another game.   This is BOUND to end badly, and you very well know it.

I guess people passionately express their feeling for or against a game.   For many, it's more than a game "it's their life!" (insert crazy WoW guy who stabbed neighbor reference here).   So, when the game doesn't live up to their mental standards of what they specifically wanted, their emotions will spew foward about that.   Just the same, if they want another game and feel threatened by this one, they'll attack (sort of like animals do).

Sigh, yeah probably. I always believe too much in reason. And yeah, that stabbing thing was really spooky.

It's just so tiresome.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Fanbois, Haters - neither seem to have been taught critical analysis or debating at school - never mind the scientific method.

Any of these could have shown them that statement without evidentiary support is entirely redundant.

So yes..... as you say..... like animals.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Elikal

You know, if your taste really and honestly is different or special, I am the first to respect that. Really. But I can't help but feel for a whole lot of folks it is POSING. Otherwise you wouldn't show off it so vehemently and vulgar. (sorry)

So true...

reminds me of some Goths in town talking loudly about how everyone else was 'the same'...    not realising that theres thousands of people who dress like them..   they're just as much, if not more, like sheep as everyone else - they just follow a sub-culture rather than mainstream culture.

Enjoy what you enjoy, criticise what you don't, but don't pretend to yourself that you are not following the crowd and being an individual..  because the people who truly are being individuals aren't hung up about whether they happen to be following mainstream culture or not.

Sorry got sidetracked there..   yeah, people like to get attention by being contrarians.  I don't mind if they're providing valid criticism.  Expect more lies and misrepresentations from certain quarters though... sigh.

• PuraimaruPuraimaru Member UncommonPosts: 68

Highly disagree! GW2 is not the new WoW! Its way different to WoW even though it is also better and more improved.  Very Silly thread OP

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Puraimaru

Highly disagree! GW2 is not the new WoW! Its way different to WoW even though it is also better and more improved.  Very Silly thread OP

That wasn't the point the OP was trying to make.

I THINK the point that the OP was trying to make is that GW2 is like WoW in one major aspect: they are both fairly popular, and while both have things that can be legitimately criticized, there are some people who rail against both of them JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAR.

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

Guild wars 2 is not the new wow... what a stupid post...

I really don't even want to discuss why, because this is such a troll post. 

I'm looking forward to MoP Expansion, and I'm not buying Guild Wars 2 not because of "fanism" but because I generally don't like the game.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

A good insight, but much like WoW, GW2 will be able to withstand the critics, so the only losers are those who refuse to play for some misguided loyalty to another game.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128
    No no no, you've got it all wrong. GW2 is the OLD wow, Wow is the old GW1 and Tera is The Old republic.
    Pointless comparisons ahoy! :)
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I think what excites me most about GW2's launch is that it will finally start to settle and become a "normal mmo" where it eventually gets out of the mind's of all the crazy people on this website.

It'll come down to Earth, finally.....

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hmm a game that will never ever have raids and is not gear driven

Is the new version off the biggest loot crack peddler on the block

Confused?
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

I THINK the point that the OP was trying to make is that GW2 is like WoW in one major aspect: they are both fairly popular, and while both have things that can be legitimately criticized, there are some people who rail against both of them JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE POPULAR.

I think very few people rail against a game just because they are popular. On the other hand, it makes sense that people who dislike or like something are more likely to participate in discussion if threads about that particular something are very common. 

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

The OP as a point though, "some" people (I'd call them "snobs") enjoy to hate what is popular. I remember some who tried to find some esoteric signification in the movie "Avatar" instead of just enjoying the fantastic picture and immersive world James Cameron offered us.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Pudsy

Guild wars 2 is not the new wow... what a stupid post...

I really don't even want to discuss why, because this is such a troll post. 

I'm looking forward to MoP Expansion, and I'm not buying Guild Wars 2 not because of "fanism" but because I generally don't like the game.

The post isn't stupid, you just missed to actually READ IT. -.-

If you only read the title of a topic but don't bother to read what the topic itself is really about, then please don't post.

I agree with the op partially.

It seems to be very common for a long time now, that people that actually don't even care or even wanna give a new game a try, still jumping in it's forums trying to put it down out of habit or fear that their favorite game could be threatened.

They are mostly missinformed through and only create posts without any real content or just a random "this game sucks" (Which says actually nothing but I guess as long as they can post this line they are happy...).

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I think what excites me most about GW2's launch is that it will finally start to settle and become a "normal mmo" where it eventually gets out of the mind's of all the crazy people on this website.

It'll come down to Earth, finally.....

Yes it will coem down to Earth. And in the process it will create Water. Rivers of Tears will flood our lands. But there will be Sun.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

As a "newcomer" to Guild Wars 2 that really ignored it for all this time and discovered it just couple weeks ago, I must agree with the OP.

Both me and my wife feel the same vibe from the little we saw in GW2 than when we first started playing WoW, but it is also true that, like WoW, GW2 is gathering a sizeable amount of haters whose best argument I have seen so far is "it does nothing new".

Check it up, there are dozens of threads in which posters try to convince the others how new/not-new GW2 is or is not. Many especially have gone to great length to make sure you know that a Dynamic Event is nothing but old questing, just with a new dress.

One could say that questing was nothing but farming mobs (the main way of levelling up in EQ) with a new dress.

Neither would be technically wrong as we know how many "kill X rats" quests we have gone through.

And still nothing could be more wrong, as anyone that played a dynamic event knows how light years it is from normal questing and how normal questing is light years from just standing in one spot killing skeletons from dawn to dusk.

Presentation and immersion are quite important in an MMOrpg and I feel Gw2 manage to capture a deeper level in both of these than any mmos that came before.

So WHY are there so many haters? I'm not sure. I mean every game has its fanboys and haters, sure, but WoW was special in that regard and GW2 is quickly becoming that.

Now we just need 3-4 expansions for GW2 and then we will have nostalgic "Vanilla" GW2 players lamenting how much better it was compared to this new crap "Guild Wars 2, Mists of the Cataclysm" that had the gall to make Badger men playable and introduced a ludicrous new class, the Minstrel, so copying the latest John White movie "Badger Rock".

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

- Posers are often teenagers who can't find any way to feel existent for their social group. One day they grow up, hopefully. Until then, don't even think about them.

- Another very well known fact is that the more a product is popular, the more it generates love AND hate. It's just an equilibrium. There's no + without a - in a battery, there's no life without death, no day without light, etc.

So there's no lovers without haters.

Meanwhile, let's just enjoy our fucking life.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Ahem, there are two sides to every coin.

While its true that some folks will eschew something because its popular (and frequently with good cause) there are equally (if not more) people who will support something just because everyone else does (jumping on the bandwagon)

WOW is definitely that sort of title.  I've read countless posts where people admit the only reason they play WOW is because their friends do, that in fact they dislike the actual game or have become bored with it yet still keep playing just because everyone else is.

MMORPG's in general suffer from this phenomenon, look how many people flock to the populated games/servers, and will leave in droves if they perceive them as being lower in population.

And no, you don't really need 5000K active  players per server to enjoy a game, but that's what people's perceptions are these days. (Why, I don' t know when they spend most of their time soloing, why should they care?)

Now I am one of the 5 gamers on earth who has yet to experience GW2 in any way.  I haven't read up on it in any great detail, participated in no beta's, and I'm going to walk into the title on launch day totally cold. 

So I can't say whether or not GW2 is really the next best thing since sliced bread, but I'll soon find out.

Regardless, GW2 reportedly breaks the mold in a couple of key "traditons" of MMORPG's, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.   Unlike many modern day gamers, I actually like MMORPG's and the mechanics they've employed in the past, so not sure I want things to change. (So far most change hasn't been something I've felt made the genre better, quite the contrary in fact).

But I'll give it a try regardless, because I've learned to find the fun in every new title, even if it usually only lasts a month or three.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Now I am one of the 5 gamers on earth who has yet to experience GW2 in any way.  I haven't read up on it in any great detail, participated in no beta's, and I'm going to walk into the title on launch day totally cold. 

So I can't say whether or not GW2 is really the next best thing since sliced bread, but I'll soon find out.

Regardless, GW2 reportedly breaks the mold in a couple of key "traditons" of MMORPG's, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.   Unlike many modern day gamers, I actually like MMORPG's and the mechanics they've employed in the past, so not sure I want things to change. (So far most change hasn't been something I've felt made the genre better, quite the contrary in fact).

But I'll give it a try regardless, because I've learned to find the fun in every new title, even if it usually only lasts a month or three.

I think regardless you will like the questing and how people play together.

Gear being cosmetic or giving stats won't have make much difference if you enjoy a game.

So what you might not like is the combat system.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I think regardless you will like the questing and how people play together.

Gear being cosmetic or giving stats won't have make much difference if you enjoy a game.

So what you might not like is the combat system.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too, getting a bit inflexible in my older years, but I was concerned about adapting to TERA's action style combat and I managed to make my peace with it and get reasonably proficient at it. (not good mind you)

So I'm hoping with practice and patience I'll find my niche in GW2 , though likely I'll be no threat on the PVP fields outside of being a contributor to the zerg.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

It's the first mmo since wow to get this much hate, therefor it is similar to wow in that sense. i'm pretty sure that was the point the OP was making.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I loved WoW in it's day......BUT it's crap now with it's easy fast leveling. Dungeon Finder really killed the game too. Now it's a lobby game.  For me it's not really an mmo anymore, sure you group with the dungeon finder, but no friends or guilds anymore.

GW2.....Only played BW3, but first mmo that is really an mmo in a long time !!!

EQ2- now F2P crap

LOTRO- now F2P crap

Vanguard- soon to be F2P crap

D&D Online- now F2P crap

Rift- Could have been good, but with it's chain quest and quest hubs, it made it a solo game. I like to make friends, and play with Guilds. But because of the chain quest it made it hard to group and be on the same quest. No point in making friends....Maybe at end game but could not make it that far with out having the mmo feel.

So yessss, GW2 seems to be it !

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Eir_S

A good insight, but much like WoW, GW2 will be able to withstand the critics, so the only losers are those who refuse to play for some misguided loyalty to another game.

What about loyalty of people like you? from other side of fence people would say the same for GW2 players. That is the problem of this forum....people are incapable of looking at both side of the coins.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don´t think GW2 is or will be the next Wow, the time for a single huge MMO and a bunch of a lot smaller is soon just a memory.

GW2 will be one of a few very popular MMOs (and yes, Wow will be among those as well the next few years). Wow could only do what it did because the genre was almost unknown and Blizzard made the first mainstream MMO which got regular people into the genre.

There will be a new Wow but not for PC, consoles will also have a huge MMO that pulls average console gamers into MMOs, my guess is Class 4.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

I've seen no proof of this, everyone who I saw said they didn't like it, including myself, had legitimate reasons, not because we think we're edgy by hating on something popular.  I know the people you are talking about and they get right on my nerves... Don't think they exist in a large quanitity in MMOs because people want to have fun playing a game they like, right?  So if they like a game, they wouldn't like it and hate on it just because its popular?  I'm sure those people don't represent the majority of people who do not like this title.

I'm sure you are just trying to rationalise the slight disappointment and negativity on the forums the past week.

This discussion has been closed.