Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Best Devs for a 40k MMO

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

With the Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online MMO restructured to well, no longer be an MMO, that still leaves the question: will there be a 40K MMO to fill that void? We certainly hope so, and in this week's The List we're offering up five developers we'd like to see take up the reins.

Like many of you, I have been playing the new Warhammer 40K 6th Edition these past few weeks. While the tabletop game goes through changes, it got me thinking about the work being done over at Vigil Studios. THQ had announced Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium a while back and it got everyone excited. Until that is, things ran astray for the MMO. Back in March the company announced that they were taking Dark Millennium in a new direction. The game would be launched as a single player game with multiplayer gameplay as side feature. Does this still count as an MMO style game? Not really. It almost sounds like a computer game with optional battlefields to join up and fight in. Not the worst thing to have for 40K fans, and in many ways this could be awesome. However, it does not qualify as an MMORPG.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The List: Best Devs for a 40k MMO.

Comments

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

actually i would prefer to see the game executed as a themepark into a sandbox, with the GW2 gameplay, and a sandbox style like Darkfall or Archeage

anyway my fear is that Blizzards project Titan might be something like a combination of 40k and Starcraft, like it was at the beggining the Warcraft series from the strategy to the MMO ... and in that case the amazing world of 40k will become like a good european/asian movie re-produced by hollywood ...

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123

blizzard went from RTS to MMO.... so should relic :D

their Dawn of War series is freaking awesome... not to mention Company Of Heroes

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

only way for Blizzard or CCP to make WH40k MMO is if they had full control over IP. same thing probably counts for Zenimax.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Blizzard-CCP- or Bioware-should pick this up.  This game made me as excited as GW2 when mentioned and still have hopes for this to become an mmo!

warhammer has the best Lore out there for a successful franchise!

a MOBA would be beats Wrath of heroes is doin fairly well already! nice following. and Firefall is in the same pond as W40k...

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Relic gets my vote. It's not just the excellent gameplay they got right in the 40k rts games, but they captured the atmosphere of 40k brilliantly. 

• GW will never give full control of their properties to any company. Look at what is being done with WAR in its painfully slow death throes ... Nothing. A 40K mmo even done well would probably experience the same death spiral from launch.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by spinner_vis

only way for Blizzard or CCP to make WH40k MMO is if they had full control over IP. same thing probably counts for Zenimax.

This.  Games Workshop is impossible to work with.  If I were a developer, I would not touch any Warhammer title because your design is subject to their wishes.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by spinner_vis

This.  Games Workshop is impossible to work with.  If I were a developer, I would not touch any Warhammer title because your design is subject to their wishes.

Double agreed, I think GW ranked up there with, (the old), Marvel in terms of difficult third party licensing relationships.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    CCP

or if you could get all the pre EA mythic people into a new house

WH40K needs to be about WAR. I'm glad the original failed if swtor was "wow in space with corridors" the original WH40K mmo was looking like "wow in space but a bit darker"
    I wouldn't touch the thing if bioware or blizzard made it. They would have you fighting horus for a pair of +15 underpants of doom.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I'd be fine with any of those, but I'd give the nod to Relic simply because they've shown that they can make awesome 40k games.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I always invisioned any Warhammer MMO as needing a large focus on PvP. However, I think some fantastic things could also be done in PvE, so I am open to a primary focus on either.

Ideally, entering my fantasy realm, I would want an open world MMO with options for leveling beyond combat. Some would argue that being Warhammer means everything is combat centric and should be here. The only way that is true is if every player starts off as the elite of the elite, ala Warhammer Online. Not everyone needs to begin as a the equivalent of a Bright Wizard. Would it be so terrible to start off as a grunt, or even lower, and work your way up from there? The characters I most enjoy in the Black Library novels have all risen from near nothing or been put into a position where they are forced to be great.

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

Here we go again... Won't happen. Wouldn't be good if it did. Just think of how ONE space marine behaves by himself? One eldar? one Whatever, even the Orcs have this WAAAGH chemistry that keep them united and working as a warband.

in all the factions, travel and assignements are handled by above. You go where the chapter goes (or the racial equivalent) and fight where the chapter wants you to fight. RPGs are about choices and freedom of movement. if you remove those elements, you have a single player or co-op storyline at best.

I could maybe imagine an orc picking up his choppa and his brakka and going off into the wild looking for a fight. but space marines, Eldars or others? I don't think so... unless everyone plays a scout marine, then ok, you can roam around a little bit. otherwise, you are too valuable and too dedicated to leav the unit like that, you stay and wait for the next battle, the next assignment and the next Warp jump.

A game like 40K would be strongly instanced and linear. you don't roam around from planet to planet... Mercenaries? never heard of those in 40K. What's left? One campaign on one world, or one system with tiered content on different planets? OK but it still doesn't solve the question of individuality and exploration.

If you're one asking for a sandbox... oh my god! 40K is SO not sandboxable! why, you want housing for your marine? Crafting for your Imperial guard? gathering warpbone with your Eldar? Tyranid politics? None of these things can happen in the lore!

Which leaves me to this conclusion: the only (barely) playable race for a MMORPG in 40K is the Orks.

I'm looking into MWO for my future RPG fix... ok, may not be much of a RPG but from what I see the devs are making it interesting.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I think it is a no-brainer that Relic should do it. They know 40K the best.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

@chbautist

It sounds like what you describe would limit it to a path driven MMORPG. Is that really so bad? While I prefer sandbox games, I can still enjoy following a path. Often a path means there can be more elaborate encounters with mechanics that are unique.

Going to different planets and encountering mercenaries are both possible. I really don't see any reason why they could not happen from a mechanic standpoint, even in a linear journey, and they could certainly happen from a lore standpoint..

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by theniffrig

Relic gets my vote. It's not just the excellent gameplay they got right in the 40k rts games, but they captured the atmosphere of 40k brilliantly. 

+1

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

@MaxJac: not the mechanics, but the lore...

The 40 Lore doesn't work well with the concept of mercenaries. It's a dogmatic setting. The only faction that looked somewhat mercenaristic were the Squats and they were removed from everything GW.

Traveling from planet system to system, requires the kind lifespan and planning OR technology and logistics that are just not available to anyone. not mechanics, but lore... if you donT' follow the lore, then why do a game about it?

I've changed my mind dream team of CCP and relic.

CCP would get the "in the vast darkness of space" and the "in the future there is only war" bit right
    Relic would get the lore and the art right.

Neither would make an instanced to hell pve fest.
    4 faction rvr game
    Imperium
    Eldar & tau
    THE GREAT ORKYNESS!
    Chaos & dark eldar

Or sod it go with 6

I think necros and tyranids would probably only work as npcs

To handle balance servers could automatically declare war between sides so huge sides (say imperium) would end up fighting on 4 fronts, where as small sides
    Say (tau) would just have 1 war on.

Have planet based and space based stuff.

Have players drag around small squads maybe, so a puny eldar,might have 8 garden filling him, but one of those marine meatheads might have 3 marines with him.

Try and make it feel like the table top, with the various different objectives in various battles and them linked into campaigns.

Mmofps too would be nice.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by orbitxo

Blizzard-CCP- or Bioware-should pick this up.  This game made me as excited as GW2 when mentioned and still have hopes for this to become an mmo!

warhammer has the best Lore out there for a successful franchise!

a MOBA would be beats Wrath of heroes is doin fairly well already! nice following. and Firefall is in the same pond as W40k...

Bioware!!! are you fucking high? With bioware comes EA .

If your going for the table top game, something like planetside would fit best imo.

If your going for the old p+p rpg, dark heresy that definetly would fit a pve game, players would be in the inquisition and go off seeking signs of chaos corruption, insurection and alien menace. But then it wouldn't fit pvp.

I can't see it working as a mixed game
  • KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

CCP is the only one of those I'd like to touch the franchise. 

But honestly, I don't think a 40k MMO would ever work using the traditional MMORPG models we are used to. It would function FAR better as an MMOFPS. 

The biggest issue you'd run into with a 40k MMORPG is that the armies and setting don't fit well into an MMORPG model. Just take character customization ... you simply all look the same in each army. There's no real difference. WAR suffered from that. Plus, classes all have to end up balancing out so again you are stuck with Space Marine jump troops being similar to Swooping Hawk Eldar similar to Tau Shock Troops ... they all are visually different but function exactly the same for the most part. Very boring stuff. 

Necromunda or a rebellion on a Hive World would actually make a better game from a design standpoint. 

40k just doesn't really work well in an MMORPG environment. Like I said, might as well just do an MMOFPS and be done with it. You'd have a much better game, still have classes, and it would really lend itself better to multi-faction warfare such as 4vs4. You could have planetary dominion, RP elements ... you could come up with a lot.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Someone actually said Bioware.  *barf*  No, no, and no.  I want a good MMO if there's going to be a 40k one at all, I got enough "story" in SWTOR, and Bioware games end up having significantly less action than blabbering.

I trust Relic after the first 3 DoW games (didn't care for Soulstorm as much as Dark Crusade).  I'd even prefer Blizz over Bioware, they've already stolen a bunch of GW's ideas anyway.

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

depending on how Planetside 2 turns out i would even go with SOE..was it Verant that made the original? but at least they got the multi faction warfare down good and infantry/tanks/planes worked pretty good..everytime i play Planetside 1 i wish it had a 40k skin as it just would work well

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by chbautist

Here we go again... Won't happen. Wouldn't be good if it did. Just think of how ONE space marine behaves by himself? One eldar? one Whatever, even the Orcs have this WAAAGH chemistry that keep them united and working as a warband.

in all the factions, travel and assignements are handled by above. You go where the chapter goes (or the racial equivalent) and fight where the chapter wants you to fight. RPGs are about choices and freedom of movement. if you remove those elements, you have a single player or co-op storyline at best.

I could maybe imagine an orc picking up his choppa and his brakka and going off into the wild looking for a fight. but space marines, Eldars or others? I don't think so... unless everyone plays a scout marine, then ok, you can roam around a little bit. otherwise, you are too valuable and too dedicated to leav the unit like that, you stay and wait for the next battle, the next assignment and the next Warp jump.

A game like 40K would be strongly instanced and linear. you don't roam around from planet to planet... Mercenaries? never heard of those in 40K. What's left? One campaign on one world, or one system with tiered content on different planets? OK but it still doesn't solve the question of individuality and exploration.

If you're one asking for a sandbox... oh my god! 40K is SO not sandboxable! why, you want housing for your marine? Crafting for your Imperial guard? gathering warpbone with your Eldar? Tyranid politics? None of these things can happen in the lore!

Which leaves me to this conclusion: the only (barely) playable race for a MMORPG in 40K is the Orks.

I'm looking into MWO for my future RPG fix... ok, may not be much of a RPG but from what I see the devs are making it interesting.

I totally agree with ya post having space marine's running around kill bunnies wouldn't be 40k, the only thing I can think of in 40k that could be ok to do as an MMO setting is Necromunda or Gorkamorka but I wouldn't touch it if SOE,EA,Boiware were to develope it I'd rather have Relic or someone else like Rockstar Games to do it.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....