Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wind of Luck: Introductory Interview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We recently sat down with Trazzy Entertainment's Al Gourtou to discuss upcoming pirate-MMO, Wind of Luck. Learn more about the game in our exclusive interview!

MMORPG: Wind of Luck is being billed as the “true pirate game”. What did you mean by that?

Al Gourtou: First, I should say that almost all the actions in WoL are possible: you can capture any ship you can encounter; there aren’t any level- or class- or skill-based restrictions (in fact there aren’t any “skills”). You can use false money (or mix false money with good mint), cheat NPC quest-givers (and this will have certain consequences), deal with pirate power barons and honest governors, use different flags to avoid attacks in hostile waters; fit your ship with cannons and pirate equipment as you like, etc, etc.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Wind of Luck: Introductory Interview.

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Looks like unity engine..

Will be keeping an eye on this one, i do liek pirate games :)

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Yeah always have a spot for pirate games. Will check it out.

• HeracliusHeraclius Member Posts: 71
    Can't wait to pay this, the second coming of VCO/UWO/PotBS
  • ImperilImperil Member UncommonPosts: 28
    To the first poster its using the C4 engine not Unity
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Nice music in that second video.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I do like the look of this but I just can't seem to figure out why this can't just be a 'section' of the game. This is how I feel about most games.. they give you a fraction of what an mmo should be. This is why I think Archeage will actually be a worthy MMO for the masses. While this game will surely be entertaining, when I get bored of sailing my boat, I will then want to build a house, or fight monsters, etc.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Imperil
    To the first poster its using the C4 engine not Unity

Ah nice, jsut terrain look very similar to unity.. thinking about it when i was messing with c4 i suppose it looked very similar graphics wise just not as ncie to work with..

Anyway signed up for beta on their website :)

@afropuff Well they will be focusing on this type of gameplay so ship combat/trading/boarding and so on it will be all about that and every bit of design work will be put into that. Games like Archage and Darkfall that have ship combat as well as land combat do not go into as much depth when it comes to the ship combat and other systems around that..

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Just from the first few lines of the interviews im stoked for this game! This game looks to be the grittier more hardcore pirate game I wanted after PotBS. Im glad they stuck with pirates only and not privateers or military captains, they seem to be mixing historical elements with a more grandious or exaggerated character look.  Anyone else ready to start up a fan site or even simple blog immediately for this game??

Seriously Im always ready to follow unique indie MMO's, if anyones looking to start a community for this game Ill jump in there and be one of the first with yah! ;)

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

If it's just twitch skills it's just another arena game. With fluff. Not sure why they need to tag it MMO or even |RPG.

Shame theres nothing to develop other than existing twitch skills.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Tagging this because I am very interested in what the gameplay is like six months after release, specifically in the areas of friendly fire and the small ships vs first class scenario.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Goose84Goose84 Member Posts: 1
    So when is the game coming out?
  • davidiedavidie Member Posts: 2
    This's a big lie. I Download the game and it's only a battle game. No World to explore, no cities, no NPC, no quests... 
  • steodosicsteodosic Member Posts: 18

The game is now in Pre-release phase. It was much improved since this interview. The list of improvements from the previous patch is long and include:

• Catamaran now has 2 cannons on each board.
    • Crew experience now affect ship turning rate, cannons reloading and crew protection. All ships will seem less maneuverable now, as previously used values for turning rate and are approximately for crew experience 28.
    • Players now can't leave balancer screen if battle is already set up. This prevent occasional 2 vs 3 battles when one of players went back to shipyard when battle is already set up for start.
    • Ships that are in battle, are not displayed in Shipyard now.
    • Fire damage now counted properly for battle reward calculation.
    • Fixed fire damage for crew.
    • Added long thin smoke trails for cannonballs.
    • Fixed ship wake and optimized performance.
    • Increased treasure capture time.
    • Fixed cannon destruction effects.
    • Tooltips added to nearly all elements. An option to disable tooltips also added to game settings. Ship abilities descriptions added as tooltips for each ability.
    • Fixed "Buy Ship" button in Tier Tree.
    • All items that were left on ships not properly (i.e., large catapults on small ships), will be unmounted and moved to player Arsenal.
    • Oars toughness and damage processing recalculated, fixed the some bugs with oars became invunerable after taking some heavy damage.
    • Oars now will hide if completely destroyed.
    • Ships collision is fixed. Now ships will not immediately explode if collided on high speed.
    • Sails of 6 different colours are added to each tier and each sail type. Current sails are replaced by new ones.
    • Both current number of players and server ping are displayed in shipyard now.
    • Fixed rare memory corruption bug.
    • Improved game client performance.
    • Ship sinking anitmation is much slower now.
    • Control Settings now allows to assign the same hotkey to similar actions, like unfold sails and increase rowing speed.
    • Hotkeys to crew commands now are working properly.