Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the 28 September release of Pandaren influence GW2?

Comments

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Don't really think it will make a difference. People knew it would be close for a couple of months now and have probably already made there purchasing choices. People can play multiple MMOs, especially when one does not have a monthly fee. I actually think this is better for GW2. Before, if people were planning to pickup GW2 and MoP came out beforehand --they could have said screw GW2 and stuck with MoP. Now, those guys will try out GW2 and if they like MoP better it does not matter since they already bought GW2.

The general vibe from the WoW community is not so keen on MoP, either.  Come to think of it, Blizzard is probably releasing MoP a little earlier to put up a fight against GW2. Not really an offensive move, more defensive.

• AishiramiAishirami Member Posts: 47

If it takes some people only a month to "gobble" up all of the PvE content, then they can leave for all I care. They probably passed up 80% of it out of thier haste, and didn't slow down and enjoy the enxperience to discover the rest of it.

Those that want to leave GW2 after a month are the people that the game isn't designed for, and so they should leave. Those that are like that will only cause disruption in the communities they exist in, and we don't need them in the GW2 community.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by joocheese
    Originally posted by azmundai   Originally posted by gestalt11 Originally posted by azmundai  
      just like they feared warhammer just like they feared aoc just like they feared lotro swtor rift etc etc etc etc you dont have to fear something to be good at positioning your product in a market. one thing I feel is a certainty : wow will be at or very near the top of the mmo heirarchy for years to come. and no I am not a fanboy. if anything I am fairly disgusted with what wow has become and what it has done to the genre. I do still have an account though, and I do still play from time to time .. because nothing else even comes close to measuring up. sad statement indeed. bring on prepop and aa .. hopefully they will actually shake things up a little.

warhammer and rift both had public quests to break up quest grinding. as ive said in other threads, gw2 is the same thing .. "i feel like im taking crazy pills" .. just because the zone gives you the quest instead of an npc doesn't change the fact that its a quest, kill some mobs, grab some stuff, zerg down some veteran .. nothing has changed except the delivery. yes it's more open, but you are still in a subzone of a zone dedicated to your level, or you are leeching off of level appropriate people missing 90% of your attacks on a mob 4 levels higher than you. ssdg better, but blizzard isn't breaking a sweat. there is a thread like this every time a game releases. better panic!!! PQs are gonna change the genre!!!! better panic!!! the third pilar (still gotta rofl about this) is gonna change the genre!!!! etc etc etc .. ssdg
    You originally listed five games and then only compared GW2 to two; Warhammer and Rift.. Warhammer did try "new" things but the game as whole was essentially a poorly developed WOW-clone. When Rift first came out, with exception to its "rifts" (DE's), it was also essentially a WOW-clone (poorly done as well). AoC only had the violence going for it, everything else was also poorly executed and again another WOW-clone. LOTRO is another WOW-clone which is now F2P and SWTOR, well, I think everyone knows how horribly wrong SWTOR went and is still going (to F2P that is).

Essentially, what I'm getting at is that several of these games tried one or two "new" (unique) and/or special things but then reverted to making the rest of the game a WOW clone; gear grinding/farming with linear quests. None of the games, with exception to Rift (in a way) offered anything truly unique and new, and the only one that actually did (Rift), didn't go all the way and did what I have just previously mentioned.

GW2, though it has quests and gear just like all the other games, I believe does a much better job at masking the grinding element. Unlike WOW, by making gear not the central focus of the game, GW2 has increasingly reduced the need to grind for gear (which it has already masked quite well through DE's and hearts). By doing so GW2 offers something quite new (not really new but refreshing) to the mmo genre... playing the actual game instead of constantly and endlessly working for gear. Very two different approaches to mmos, playing vs. working.

As to Blizzard not breaking a sweat, though they still enjoy 10.3 million subs (though only 3-4 mil pay monthly subs; the other 6-7 mil pay hrly in Asia), they have constistenly been bleeding subs (in the west for the most part) and are soon to be sold by Vivendi (who no longer sees them as profitable enough to keep). Also, don't forget the schemes that Blizzard had to pull in order to keep players playing (or at least just paying monthly subs) wow by giving them D3 if they signed up for a whole year. If you have to essentially bribe your playerbase, I think that is a sign of trouble, maybe not now, but def in the future.

Fact is WOW is in decline and many people (prob even in Blizzard included) refuse to see it. Somewhat reminds me of SWTOR, though not as fast and terrible of a crash. WOW is dying a slow and painful death and I'm afradi that Blizzard will milk it for as much money as they can before they realize that it's too late to save any of it. If all that Blizzard can come up with for WOW is kung fu panda and pokemon then I'd say WOW's future is already not looking good at all. Time will tell though, but it is my honest opinion that I'm right... of course haha.

I dont refuse to see it. I know it is in decline. All good things come to an end. The release of GW2 though will not kill it for good. If anything a boring expansion filled with pet battle fluff is what will contribute most to it's decline. I still believe they aren't the least bit worried about GW2 itself. Much like a baseball team in a pennant race can't worry about what the other teams are doing, they have to focus on getting their job done. Winning their games. Just like they weren't worried about all of the games to come before GW2.

That being said, i believe wow will be in the top 5 mmos for another 5 years at least. Again .. they aren't terrible worried. They've probably made enough money to get 2 more AAA mmos off the ground. Now whether they have saved that, or their investors have taken it is another story .. even if they close up shop and don't release Titan, they are still the most successful mmo dev of all time. and vanilla wow was an excellent game even if it has turned into a steaming pile of panda poo.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

I don't think it is going to keep very many from trying GW2 personally. The beauty of GW2's pricing model is that it allows people to leave for a little while to try out other game expansions and then come back.

So I think what you may see at most when Panderia is released is a slight dip in population for about a week, but within 3 months it will be right back to where it was, and maybe with some more.

Anyway - it's going to be really hard to compare the two when GW2 doesn't have a sub. Anyone who ever signs up will be on their rolls, no matter if they are playing or not. You could have 15 million people who sign up for GW2. 14 million could play one day and never again. How do you compare that to a sub game?

Gonna be tough to tell.

Personally I might have waited until xmas just give people time to get tired of GW2. I think it could be potentially bad to thow out the same ol' same ol' right at the time where something pretty different is coming out. Even with that said, I still believe that more people will try GW2 than will be retained. I hope they prove me wrong. But I firmly believe history repeats itself. So if I were Blizzard, I'd wait 3 months for the mass exodus which has occured on 99.9% of mmo's since the release of WoW.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

Won't effect me at all. I love GW2, and am very much over all things WoW.

Have to interest in this panda sillyness ...

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I don't see it affecting either game tbh.

The simple fact is GW2 comes with no subscription, so any WoW fans can play GW2 for a month, pick up MoP, play it to max level, do some gear grind, do some raids etc, and then it's back to the old routine. Log in for an hour or two, do daily's, maybe hit a BG, chat to guild and log off.

They won't be losing money paying a second sub to GW2 so there's nothing to stop them playing both except time. And by the time they've cleared the MoP content and got back to the stage of "old routine" there's no reason they can't play both.

Lets look at WoW players now. I stopped playing but have friends that still play and they typically:

Do daily's

Run a dungeon

Pick up a PUG raid

Maybe do Deathwing, if the haven't cleared it and aren't raid locked out until the next reset

Log off and play D3/TF2/CoD/Whatever (maybe insert GW2 here?)

I don't see it being an either / or situation. There's no reason you can't like both, play both, enjoy both. Personally I won't be buying MoP but I have plenty of friends who will, but still plan on playing GW2 as well. I don't understand the rabid arguments that go on about games. X game sux, My game is better etc. So immature. There's really no reason not to play both if that's what you want to do, given the payment models.

• Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by azmundai  

Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion. Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)
    I guess this speaks volumes as to what Blizzard execs fear GW2 might do to WOW. Time will tell though :-)
      just like they feared warhammer just like they feared aoc just like they feared lotro swtor rift etc etc etc etc you dont have to fear something to be good at positioning your product in a market. one thing I feel is a certainty : wow will be at or very near the top of the mmo heirarchy for years to come. and no I am not a fanboy. if anything I am fairly disgusted with what wow has become and what it has done to the genre. I do still have an account though, and I do still play from time to time .. because nothing else even comes close to measuring up. sad statement indeed. bring on prepop and aa .. hopefully they will actually shake things up a little.
    None of those games offer any relief from the quest grind.  In everyone of those games people started asking themselves "If I keep doing quests and whatnot why don't I just continue on with WoW?".

This is the big difference.

If this were The secret world we were talking even there you might have a point although its more of a stretch.  Every single one of those games had an almost verbatim copy of WoW questing system as the main way of getting XP.

Even Rift with its fairly sigifniciant rift system was still easily like 70-80% questing for xp.

The reason this could really backfire on Blizzard is that DE really do feel alot different than making a shopping list of quests.  Releasing this close to GW2's release will make that difference even more obvious and sickening to people.  As opposed to letting the feeling where off and having some nostalgia kick in. 

People are dead tired of shopping lists.  All those games gave people shopping lists. 

warhammer and rift both had public quests to break up quest grinding.

as ive said in other threads, gw2 is the same thing .. "i feel like im taking crazy pills" .. just because the zone gives you the quest instead of an npc doesn't change the fact that its a quest, kill some mobs, grab some stuff, zerg down some veteran .. nothing has changed except the delivery.

yes it's more open, but you are still in a subzone of a zone dedicated to your level, or you are leeching off of level appropriate people missing 90% of your attacks on a mob 4 levels higher than you.

ssdg

better, but blizzard isn't breaking a sweat.

there is a thread like this every time a game releases. better panic!!! PQs are gonna change the genre!!!! better panic!!! the third pilar (still gotta rofl about this) is gonna change the genre!!!! etc etc etc ..

ssdg

You feel like you are taking crazy pills because you absolutely refuse to believe that rearrnging foundational basic elements of system has a huge effect.

Basics are the most important things.  Timing of things is essential.

GW2 events changes the timing and delivery and causation of things.

This is a gigantic difference.  That you completely gloss over them is why you feel like you are taking crazy pills. You have stretched and disregarded reality to such an extent that your brain can't take.

You are basically saying that deviled eggs and omelettes are the same meal because they are made almost entirely of eggs.  You should feel like you are taking crazy pills.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

This thread is silly, this needs a lock

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

One is an expansion to a dated game. One is the new hotness. I don't see anyone who isn't playing wow to have interest in the expansion or game at this point. Gw2 on the other hand will only get louder after launch and continue to grow and flourish. Wow's best days are in the past and until they come out with a new game or wow2.0 it will stay that way. Diablo 3 also left a bad taste in many a mouth and will probably hurt this expansion as well. If anything gw2 will hurt blizz big time with a better product for cheaper that has a larger appeal to gamer's in general.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It'll likely hurt month 2 sales.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Not much of an effect I see. Many people buy games at release (or earlier *shakes head*).

Borderlands 2 releases at Sept 21st. I hope it won´t be affected much by WoP.
    It hopefully delivers true random item hunting in Coop - the opposite of WoW and GW.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    There are lots of reasons why people won't be playing multiple mmo's, main one being time. I think gw2 will totally murder wow in the west, but I'm sure blizz will be quoting Asian numbers for a long time.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

Yes alot of people will buy MoP including me to  check it out, Poeple will soon realise . Oh snap cannot dodge oh snap cannot cast while running. O realy i have to return the quest to the quest giver at the beginning of the map, .. arhgh so far away, gotta take the fly path, or run for 10 minute, people will  return to GW2 :P

just my opinion :P

QFT

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I don't think the two games will have that much affect on each other.  Present WoW players will probably continue to play WoW and GW2 players come from assorted games and due to the buy to play setup, many won't even leave their present game, they'll just play BOTH.  Pure speculation on my part, but really....I sincerely don't think the games will have much affect on each other.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I wonder if it'll generate a small spike in GW2 sales as people that held out for MoP finish the content, get bored and decide to try something else?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• FreakrxFreakrx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Cromica

If people want to stay on the same 8 year old gear treadmill they will. The majority of us that are sick and tired of raiding and want to have fun instead of chase stats will be playing GW2.

Exactly!

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

It will def snag sales and people playing away from GW2. I myself will just play Kung fu panda til lvl 90 then raid a bit then step away.  I am not playing another rinse repeat of the same stuff in GW2 all the way to lvl cap and play about 5 expansions that  they release over the next few years, just doesn't make logical sense to me. If I am going to play a boring mmo, it might as well be the best boring one which is WoW.  When a new refreshing product is released I will start over, but not until then,

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

"How will the 28 September release of Pandaren influence GW2?"

You mean besides the execs at Arenanet facepalming at the notion that Blizzard could affect their plans or playerbase? yeah, not really I believe they will have some people playing that expansion, but it won't be in record numbers like we've seen in the past. WoW's wrinkles are showing and no amount of facelifting or Tammy Fae Baker make-up will help it now. And when people have seen what I've seen in their expansion, Which isn't very much btw, they'll be leaving to return to whatever games they were playing before, unless they are glutons for punishment.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Betaguy

It will def snag sales and people playing away from GW2. I myself will just play Kung fu panda til lvl 90 then raid a bit then step away.  I am not playing another rinse repeat of the same stuff in GW2 all the way to lvl cap and play about 5 expansions that  they release over the next few years, just doesn't make logical sense to me. If I am going to play a boring mmo, it might as well be the best boring one which is WoW.  When a new refreshing product is released I will start over, but not until then,

this is the reason why WoW still have lot of players...

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I may dare to add a prediction... Pandaria will not even remotely come close to the WotLK sales, or even just the Cataclysm sales. Many WoW players are very unhappy with the radical changes to the game in Pandaria.

WoW was at its top during WotLK (best expansion ever, with Ulduar arguably being the best raid dungeon I've ever played in any game). It will never go back there.

I felt this way but nostalgia brought me back. i did buy the MOP expansion but I am not sure that I will stay with WOW for long. I hated what Blizzard did with the talents in Cata and they are gutting them even worse in MOP. Really the main reason I bought MOP was to try out the monk class (but I won't be playing a panda).

Even though I bought the expansion I do not intend to log in day one. I will wait a bit. I expect my zeal for GW2 will fade in about 3 months and when it does I will go back to WOW.

• Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by dellirious13

the only thing not making this rip complete is that they dont have Jack Black doing voicing).

I can see them running one of those commercials with him.

"I'm Jack Black and I'm a pandaren monk!"

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828
    Originally posted by Naevius

By September, Arena Net will have added an option to make your Asura look like a panda. Problem solved.

This might not be a bad thing because Asura's are the ugliest thing in GW2 so far. They are almost as awful as the dainty lady feet syndrome affecting Humans, Norns and Sylvari heh.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    I will probably be done with gw2 after having played like a mad man a month. At least pve wise. Then MoP expansion will launch, the first game to really take end game serious. In my opinion no serious pveer will play gw2 more than casually after the first month (sadly, since the game is great, it just that there's no end game progression on the pve side. And no, I'm not asking for gear grind, but progression)
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by Svarcanum
    I will probably be done with gw2 after having played like a mad man a month. At least pve wise. Then MoP expansion will launch, the first game to really take end game serious. In my opinion no serious pveer will play gw2 more than casually after the first month (sadly, since the game is great, it just that there's no end game progression on the pve side. And no, I'm not asking for gear grind, but progression)

You'd be wrong in that assumption. There's plenty of end game progression in GW2, just like there is tuns of it in GW1. It's just not raid farming. You have awesome gear skins to find, achievements to attain, things to buy with all the karma you save up, world completion, the 3 big dungeons to do not to mention World vs. World to compete in. There'll be plenty to do at cap, more than most brand new MMOGs, just no raiding or gear grind.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by Svarcanum

Are you familiar with Orr?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.