Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

so far the questing has been really lame

Comments

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

And yet no one called out people who insulted OP by tellign him to go back to wow...seriously. If you guys really want to prove that you all are such mature and reasonable community members you should have said something but nope you didn't instead all ganged up on me for posting a satire.

I don't know about you guys but i am sick of people being insulted for simply giving their opinions. Notice how OP didn't insult anyone in his post.

Ha...that boat sailed off some time ago unfortunately. Gonna get a lot worse when the game launches too. Happy happy joy joy.

Anyways, as for the OP from what I have seen it starts out rather mundane but they appear to get a lot more interesting in the higher level zones.

...and really. You pretty much have this in every mmo. Kind of need to for those that aren't as well versed in mmos so they can get used to the mechanics and gameplay. Have to get their feet wet before you send them into the deep end. Not everyone that will be playing is going to be an mmo vet.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by StriderXed
    Originally posted by Orphes

How come all these GW2 fans have been on almost ever other mmo forum here on mmorpg. And for instance said something in the line of that this game have the kill x amount of mobs quest and at the same time saying that GW2 will be oh so different.

Now I read the same disclaimers here as I read on those forum in answers to those post.

How come?

I don't recall the gw2 fans saying EVERY aspect of the game is different.

Of course the GW2 fans didn't say that every aspect of the game is different... 

You kind of proved my point.

If I, for instance, are to accept that that not every aspect of this game is not different, why have all these GW2 fans running around spouting "this x is the same as X in that and this game".

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

I hope it gets better than what i have seen so far.

In last weeks beta i was turned in a cat and hunted rabbits, i had to feed cows, i had to follow some wolf around to get credit for quest, and i had to pick up eggs off the ground and put them in a nest.

these are just the stupid ass quest that i remember, there were many more.  please tell me that this isnt it, these are some of the most care bear quest i have ever seen in a game. most of them i didnt even have to kill anything.....

1. Get rid of the "Other MMO" Syndrome.

2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36woC3LJ8Y

3. See you in GW2. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

In Tyria, you don't do quests. Quests do you.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

...and really. You pretty much have this in every mmo. Kind of need to for those that aren't as well versed in mmos so they can get used to the mechanics and gameplay. Have to get their feet wet before you send them into the deep end. Not everyone that will be playing is going to be an mmo vet.

A very good point.  I'm trying to get a friend interested in GW2 and she's never played an MMO, so what benefit would it be to ANet if they made heart quests at level 2 ridiculously hard (and again, DE's can be difficult if you search them out)?  She would lose interest almost straight away.  

Besides, the OP is concerned but I don't think he was trying to incite the wrath of the GW2 community, I too am concerned about the depth of quests later on, but I've seen enough to know that they do get harder and they do reward better even in the lvl 10 - 15 bracket.  I think most people will ease into it just fine.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

In last weeks beta i was turned in a cat and hunted rabbits, i had to feed cows, i had to follow some wolf around to get credit for quest, and i had to pick up eggs off the ground and put them in a nest.

these are just the stupid ass quest that i remember, there were many more.  please tell me that this isnt it, these are some of the most care bear quest i have ever seen in a game. most of them i didnt even have to kill anything.....

they are all heart quest in the norn area. so let me ask did you get the chest in the cave after you followed the wolfs around i bet you did not becuse you did not go looking or you did not stay around that area.

so just in the one sopt wheere you followed the wolfs if you did not look around or did not stick around you missed out of some things

cheast with items not good items but this is a start area

Stop dredge from repairing their tower this is a chained event that ends in a group boos fight.

Run with Wolf's pack and destroy the Svanir camp this is not the heart quest this is also a chained event that ends with a group boss fight.

and all that was just in the one sopt. int the norn start area what i call the lvl 1-7 zone thare are over 11 DE's. sos if you just ran from heart to heart you missed out on a lot.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by colddog04

I guess that's the problem. You see an injustice and try and right that injustice by acting the same way. That's why you came off the way you did. You came off like the guy you were trying to "cancel out" that says, "go back to WoW." And you admit to doing it on purpose here.

Sadly you or any other GW2 fan didn't come forward and told that guy to shut up. But you surely took your time to respond to me. It is all about matter of simialr interests i think.  Fans gotto look out for each other.

Funny part is i don't even dislike GW2 and pretty excited about it but i am also getting sick of 'go back to wow' kind of responses so i posted that picture to show that underlying idea is the same and that people should think before telling others to go back to WOW eventhough we are not even sure if OP ever played WOW before.

That is the easiest way to undermine someones opinion by accusing them of being an ex wow player and as if  that is the only reason why he dislikes GW2.

I like WoW. I haven't played it for a while, but I think it's a great game.

When someone says go back to WoW, like in every forum for every game, I don't turn around and start throwing out insults to the entire playerbase of that game. You didn't address the poster that talked about WoW in his post. Instead, you posted a picture to make sure everyone knew just how retarded they were for liking the PvE in GW2. And to you, as you've said, it was funny. To people that are excited for GW2 and have played it, it was insulting for two reasons. It misrepresented the truth and it called GW2 fans retarded.

Maybe next time you could address the actual offending post instead of insulting an entire community on their boards.

I am glad someone else saw it this way. I was starting to feel bad for calling him out thinking maybe I was being too sensitive. 

And yet no one called out people who insulted OP by tellign him to go back to wow...seriously. If you guys really want to prove that you all are such mature and reasonable community members you should have said something but nope you didn't instead all ganged up on me for posting a satire.

I don't know about you guys but i am sick of people being insulted for simply giving their opinions. Notice how OP didn't insult anyone in his post.

Not a single person in this thread told the OP to go back to WoW.  Not a one.  I've only seen people say that you cannot play the game like you would play WoW.  Go ahead and look, evidence is in the posts.  Stop lying to support your arguments please.

I was talking in general terms because this is not the first time something like this happened. And how assuming that OP is playing it like WOW is any different then telling him to go back to wow? for all we know he never played WOW.

He did the tasks that were offered to him in the game. If content is there players will do it. Telling him that  he didn't  like heart events only because he is trying to play GW2 like WOW is wrong. Noteveryone who dislikes something about GW2 is an ex WOW player.

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I think the OP and I have something in common here.  I once decided not to buy some ice cream based off of my preconceived notion of its flavor due to the packaging.  My story ended happily because I eventually later tried the ice cream and it is now one of my favorite flavors.  True story brah.

One week I read a post about how games are all kill this, kill that, now I read a post about how the quests aren't all kill this or kill that. Sheesh... good thing there is a selection of games for all of us to enjoy!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

"Playing it like WoW" simply means expecting everything to be handed to you, with neat little icons and big arrows on the map for everything. So the people just do what is displayed on the map, without looking any further, without exploring abit.

You're not in Azeroth anymore... you're on Tyria. And on Tyria, exploration is a major part of the game. If you play it like WoW, you will miss the majority of the content.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

OP you were under the impression that those types of quests weren't in the game? Come on now your not looking at the best part of the PvE component its the events that spawn around you. If I recall correctly the quests that your referring to are all at the start of the game. I found the questing to be quite enjoyable and spontaneous. As with any game if your just pushing through the content it can get a bit old and boring at that point its probably best that you take a break.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

I was talking in general terms because this is not the first time somethign like tis happened. And how assuming that OP is playing it like WOW is any different then telling him to go back to wow? for all we know he never played WOW.

Hhe did the tasks that were offered to him in the game. If content is there players will do it. Telling him that  he didn't  like heart events only because he is trying to play GW2 like WOW is wrong. Noteveryone who dislikes something about GW2 is an ex WOW player.

Theres one of your problems then. You need to leave other threads baggage where it is. People were answering the OP's dilemma with responses that were accurate. He painted the heart tasks as something he hated and said things like "stupid ass quests" and "the most care bear quests he had ever see" while saying he couldn't kill anything. When you start off like that how can you sit there and honestly point your finger at the responses people make which weren't all that bad TBH I went back and rad them again. He may have done the tasks in offered int he game, but he came back and pointed out the worst he could find and people have assured him that it gets better so there was no need to compare the responses to the ones said about SWTOR.

Yes assuming the OP is playing it like WoW is completely different than saying go back because I assumed he was playing it and answered him without being rude. The heart tasks have choices unlike a quest. While he may not have played WoW, he has more than likely played other games which for the most part are close enough to compare so really. I agree with your last sentence. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by DKLond

I must have missed the scouts giving me details beyond "help these people".

So, I guess, the scouts and "heart people" serve the exact same function as quest givers in traditional MMOs. As in, if I want to know why I'm doing something - I have to go talk to them first? Is that supposed to be progress?

I'd have preferred quality writing with voice overs, honestly.

Here's an example for you in TotalBiscuits beta wrap up. He talks to a scout outside the starter zone and gets a little history of the zone he's entering and what's going on there. He also follows nicely an event chain and explains rather well the fact that much of the event system is built on top of the standard quest concepts, but the delivery is key. You'll have to watch it to get the full gist.

QFT

Its fun that posts like this which are very explanationary (video) dont get any responses at all.... So now all watch the video if you havent seen it yet and you can quit this discussion once and for all

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

I hope it gets better than what i have seen so far.In last weeks beta i was turned in a cat and hunted rabbits, i had to feed cows, i had to follow some wolf around to get credit for quest, and i had to pick up eggs off the ground and put them in a nest.these are just the stupid ass quest that i remember, there were many more.  please tell me that this isnt it, these are some of the most care bear quest i have ever seen in a game. most of them i didnt even have to kill anything.....

So what's your idea of a good quest?

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

The starter area quests are based on the story behind the races so yes there will be some that you find boring but you are not tied to doing them unless your mom has a gun to your head, so just skip them and move on. Go to the mists and travel to the other starter zones and do the stuff there.

• Originally posted by hundejahre

I can't speak for the OP, but for me a good quest would be one that doesn't require me to use my imagination to believe it's actually happening, can be done cooperatively instead of competitively with other people performing the same quest, allows me to have a real impact on the game, and happen spontaneously/dynamically with chaining (based on outcome) to other quests.

If there were quests like that I'd be on cloud 9.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by hpisti

Because having 2000 "kill x and report back to me so I can send your ass off to kill y and report back to me again" type quests are less "lame" and so much more fun.

Yes, there are "kill" type quests in the game. Of course you could have tried another race or progress beyond level 1.

yeah i only tried one race and i couldnt get past level 1.

grow up

But you do know those are all level 1 quests you used as examples, right? Have you done any of the events yet? Those are pretty fun.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Johnnymmo
    I am really looking forward to these epic quests in gw2 which i have yet to hear about. Maybe a murder conspiracy quest. Who killed the rabbits? Was it the centaur or the boar???

You gotta admit you lol'd

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    Originally posted by hundejahre

I can't speak for the OP, but for me a good quest would be one that doesn't require me to use my imagination to believe it's actually happening, can be done cooperatively instead of competitively with other people performing the same quest, allows me to have a real impact on the game, and happen spontaneously/dynamically with chaining (based on outcome) to other quests.

If there were quests like that I'd be on cloud 9.

You realize that what you just described are dynamic events in GW2...

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Oh look it's another person that doesn't understand that renown quests are just there to get the people that need to be hand held into areas where DEs trigger.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tyfon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You dont have to do all quests/hearts/events, if quests dont suit your epicness you can pass them and move on.   there are more then enough epic quests

The problem with this is that if you skip anything on the map you will be lagging behind your story quest and have to grind out repeat DE or whatever.

I had problems even with completing all hearts/vistas etc on the map I still had to repeat som DEs 4-5 times before getting to my story mission level. The solution is apparently to play other races zones or buy xp boosts.

They should really give more xp for the public quests as they were the best part of pve. I liked them in WAR and Rift too. But I don't want to have to repeat them too many times.

They can just remove the hearts from the game, all of those I tried sucked big time. Replace them with fun public quests instead.

Hmmmmm. Are the quests any better than Tera?

What it sounds like is that where Tera did not have the budget  to add voice acting after the world saw reading quest text in 2011 was just dumb, GW2 had the budget to tack some voice on late in development. Is this why the story quest cut scenes are just two pictures talking?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by tyfon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

You dont have to do all quests/hearts/events, if quests dont suit your epicness you can pass them and move on.   there are more then enough epic quests

The problem with this is that if you skip anything on the map you will be lagging behind your story quest and have to grind out repeat DE or whatever.

I had problems even with completing all hearts/vistas etc on the map I still had to repeat som DEs 4-5 times before getting to my story mission level. The solution is apparently to play other races zones or buy xp boosts.

They should really give more xp for the public quests as they were the best part of pve. I liked them in WAR and Rift too. But I don't want to have to repeat them too many times.

They can just remove the hearts from the game, all of those I tried sucked big time. Replace them with fun public quests instead.

What it sounds like is that where Tera did not have the budget  to add voice acting after the world saw reading quest text in 2011 was just dumb, GW2 had the budget to tack some voice on late in development. Is this why the story quest cut scenes are just two pictures talking?

Where's your source that they "tacked on" voice acting "late in development"?  I never heard that one, I kind of want to see the proof.

By the way, they are not just two pictures talking, they are your character and the NPC graphics talking, which is the same thing SWTOR did only without the extreme camera angles.  Still beats quest text.

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by eyelolled

Would it make you feel better if I told you that once you hit level 15 the quests get alot more brutal, like killing a veteran boar so that you can spread it's entrails into ettin traps and once you've gathered 20 ettin heads you can return them for rewards?  Or like the questline in the personal story where if you don't save your friend Yulanda and choose the path of revenge, she ends up being tortured, raped and killed? Or the quest where you light a centaur village on fire and you get to watch them run around screaming until they collapse into an ashen heap?  None of them happen, but the quests do get better.

You know I havn't played Guild Wars 2 "and really don't plan to honestly". But for a momment you had me genuinely interested there with a mature non-childish storyline in a MMO. Sad you had to tell me it was all bullshit at the end. :(

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by bcbully

Depends on if you like having dozens of 'go kill X' quests, and no voice overs.

And I don't know if you can call the voice acting in GW2 'tacked on', considering it's everywhere in the game, and the game has a massive amount of content. They've been adding voice to the game for over a year.

As for the personal story cutscenes, that was a stylistic choice. They talk about it when addressing some of the complaints about the personal story dialogue. While it may not be appealing as the cinematics in TSW, it's definitely not bad, and it's definitely better than a game full of 'kill X' quests.

The quests in GW2 have a lot of dialogue, a lot of backstory, and a lot of options. There are some that are more similar to traditional MMO quests, and there are others that have you doing things like chasing kids w/ an enlargement ray, playing against people in golem chess, rounding up escaped miniature experiments, fixing golems, regrowing farms, etc. etc. While, if you look at the questing mechanics under a microscope, some of the individual actions aren't necessarily new, the way in which they are delivered, and the variety of them is definitely something you won't find in other games.

Whether or not you like that variety and freedom is entirely a matter of preference, though.

- On a side note, the cutscenes in GW2 are probably the weakest feature they have. While most of them are actually fairly well done, some of them can be a bit corny.

• e1eplayere1eplayer Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by meari

I like how people keep insisting DE is the same old things as quests in other MMO. Sure, everything in a game eventually breaks down into escort/delivery/kill tasks. But what people are doing is like saying Frodo had a fed-ex quest to Mordor, Boromir had an escort hobbits quest and Gandalf had a kill Balrog quest then proceed to declare LOTR is just like any other fantasy book out there with the same old plot....

^ LOL. Best thing I've read all day.. Makes a great point too

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Those were the renown hearts and not even the "main part of the game". Do the "orange events", the dynamic events. The heart quests are not really meant to be interesting, but serve as more of a guide to show you where level appropriate content is.

The best part, is whiny hand holding loving playres, like yourself, are the ones that asked for them. My guess is if they didn't put them in, you would be posting about how there are no quests to do and the game sucks. Go figure.

Basically, you are playing the game incorrectly.

This discussion has been closed.