Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW PvP - Can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

Comments

• Ash23NeuroAsh23Neuro Member Posts: 13

Well, TSW is not designed mainly PvP game but it has greate potential for future development (It was already said that they are going to add PvP dungeon). There is no gear divided into PvE or PvP category. It combines both in cool way to me.

If someone looks for pure PvP game I hope GW2 will deliver. Personaly I don't like GW2 setting inspired by asian fantasy pop culture.

I enjoy TSW PvP it its curent state. Running Fusang with my faction friends give me thrills. I'm on Arcadia RP server and there is something going on in Fusang all the time. Stonhange its also a lot of fun for me. I play casualy (dont fell the need to complete end game in one month since I subed for life) but I'm not casual player (I usualy spend 7 hour by session 4-5 times a week) and do quest as well as warzones. I like it that way.

• XXXNemesis3XXXXNemesis3X Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Originally posted by Krytycal

[mod edit]

Thats pvp in every MMO on the market. Even Guildwars.

Well from what I have experienced during the last beta weekend, We didn't play the same game for sure...

Originally posted by XXXNemesis3X

That's funny since, We have fans trying to prove PvP in TSW is really hard without any revelant info. Even if a MMORPG have 525 abilities, it doesn't make PvP harder, it just make it more unbalanced than anything else. While on the other hand, Celcius fight these people and just show them the reality in the face. I don't have any problem with it, but the problem come when you try to bring people into this game when PvP isn't what TSW is...

I didn't play The Secret world, but I watched enought videos to approve what Celcius is saying. It looks more like who is the luckiest person that will get the big number first win.

The only people I see complaining are the ones who cannot adapt and think their one build should work for everything. To the point that they refuse to try anything else and just QQ on forums about others being OP.

GW has a ton of abilities that synergize with each other and other players and it is one of the best pvp centric games out there.

You know, TSW and GW seem to be similiar that way. Both allow you to make a variety of builds based on the skills you have and allow you to change to counter the FOTM builds. The only limiting factor is the player behind the keyboard.

Same goes for pve, all the QQ is people limiting their choices and complaining Superman build #1 doesn't work for everything.

There will always be some build better than other, but this is not the problem. A game cannot be balanced around 1 vs 1 duel... Real PvPer know it. Futhermore, in a game like TSW where you can play whatever you want make it even harder to balance it around that fact. From what I have seen, I have no fun watching PvP video where you see a single person raping 35+ people in a single game. What I want to see and what some people I know are seeking too is group play where some build useless become a real nightmare coupled with others class mechanics. What's more boring than seeing someone dying in 3 sec. I don't call this skill, I call this Boring shit... But, TSW isn't a PvP Game, so the discussion end here. Until funcom try to balance and make PvP something Real, this game is worth nothing for me. Something interesting to see is if they are going to play the nerf hammer game like WoW is doing, since this won't work in this game because you can use whatever build you want.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

[mod edit]

Well from what I have experienced during the last beta weekend, We didn't play the same game for sure...

That's funny since, We have fans trying to prove PvP in TSW is really hard without any revelant info. Even if a MMORPG have 525 abilities, it doesn't make PvP harder, it just make it more unbalanced than anything else. While on the other hand, Celcius fight these people and just show them the reality in the face. I don't have any problem with it, but the problem come when you try to bring people into this game when PvP isn't what TSW is...

I didn't play The Secret world, but I watched enought videos to approve what Celcius is saying. It looks more like who is the luckiest person that will get the big number first win.

The only people I see complaining are the ones who cannot adapt and think their one build should work for everything. To the point that they refuse to try anything else and just QQ on forums about others being OP.

GW has a ton of abilities that synergize with each other and other players and it is one of the best pvp centric games out there.

You know, TSW and GW seem to be similiar that way. Both allow you to make a variety of builds based on the skills you have and allow you to change to counter the FOTM builds. The only limiting factor is the player behind the keyboard.

Same goes for pve, all the QQ is people limiting their choices and complaining Superman build #1 doesn't work for everything.

There will always be some build better than other, but this is not the problem. A game cannot be balanced around 1 vs 1 duel... Real PvPer know it. Futhermore, in a game like TSW where you can play whatever you want make it even harder to balance it around that fact. From what I have seen, I have no fun watching PvP video where you see a single person raping 35+ people in a single game. What I want to see and what some people I know are seeking too is group play where some build useless become a real nightmare coupled with others class mechanics. What's more boring than seeing someone dying in 3 sec. I don't call this skill, I call this Boring shit... But, TSW isn't a PvP Game, so the discussion end here. Until funcom try to balance and make PvP something Real, this game is worth nothing for me. Something interesting to see is if they are going to play the nerf hammer game like WoW is doing, since this won't work in this game because you can use whatever build you want.

Real pvprs.....Man, if I had a nickle for everytime I see that get thrown around.

Some like the zerg vs zerg, some like small groups, some like solo, some like FFA open world, some like arenas. I have tried to find a MMORPG that has what some say is real pvp and I have come to the conclusion that most of the so called pvprs cannot come to a consensus as to what real pvp is. The many faliled pvp MMO games out there pretty much backs up this conclusion.

The only game I have not seen anyone bash when it omes to PvP is GW. GW would be the closest thing to PvP nirvana. GW2....based on what I have read it seems allot like LoL in the sense that pretty much everyone is the same. The skins just look different. If you tell me that the skills are varied then it will end up like GW, FoTM builds countered by FoTM counter builds or it will go the way of the nerf. Only time will tell.

And I do agree thst it is mainly a pve game with a side of pvp.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by ash23neuro

If someone looks for pure PvP game I hope GW2 will deliver. Personaly I don't like GW2 setting inspired by asian fantasy pop culture.

GW2 is not inspired by asian fantasy pop culture. I really hate when people assume this just because NC Soft is publishing the game. ArenaNet is an American company and has always been one. Guild Wars 2 fantasy setting is based off the GW1 fantasy setting, which was being developed by Triforge (the name of the company before it became ArenaNet) by a group of developers who used to be at Blizzard. That company was making GW1 before they were even acquired by NC Soft, so there is no way it is even remotely designed with an asian fantasy setting in mind. NC Soft West is actually the publisher for Guild Wars, which is located in Seattle. So if you want to defend your game properly I suggest a stronger argument then "GW2 IS ASIAN GAME!" Saying that GW2 is a "pure pvp" game also shows your ignorance on the subject.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Im really starting to get the idea that the people most vocal about disliking pvp in tsw have never played it or have only set foot in enough to see what the map looks like.

Im reading the complaints and its making fusang look like 3 giant 150 person packs fighting eachother...it has never been like that for me...not even close...its full of small groups...yeah there are time, especially near respawns where the groups get big but that is the point of 150 vs 150 pvp...if you dont like that kind of large number pvp please feel free to queue for the smaller group pvp maps...im mean seriously this is getting retarded.

You want skilled 1vs1 pvp and your hardcore and a pro pvper go play darkfall it needs players..

Also im not sure what this balance stuff is about...the game has a balancing mechanism in fusang...i go in and get a healthy hp boost and seem to hit like a truck and im all QL 6-8...  I think few people really grasp the game yet, if your getting dropped so fast in pvp feel free to put on a few tank items, mabey add a heal from the misc wheel...

I find it so amusing that...what 2-3 years ago everyone was bitching for mass pvp...it was all everyone wanted...now that every game has a form of mass pvp they apparently hate it and want a 1vs1 duel or small groups, nevermind that the game offers that too...

• WhyhateWhyhate Member Posts: 41

A learning curve similar to EvE?

I seriously hope you are joking.... , the PVP kinda sucks, CC everywhere, everyone using the same builds, zergs, no alliances beetwen factions.

How is the PVP learning curve similar to EvE at all? if anything it's more like SWTOR, 0 learnign curve and nothing meaningful to fight for.

Originally posted by BigRock411

Im really starting to get the idea that the people most vocal about disliking pvp in tsw have never played it or have only set foot in enough to see what the map looks like.

I find it so amusing that...what 2-3 years ago everyone was bitching for mass pvp...it was all everyone wanted...now that every game has a form of mass pvp they apparently hate it and want a 1vs1 duel or small groups, nevermind that the game offers that too...

When the gameplay is bad, pvp is usually going to be worse. The hate on TSW has nothing to do with the types of gameplay available in PvP it has more to do with the gameplay itself. I will admit I only went into Fusang or whatever a few times, but that is more chances then most people will give it. If all you do is run around for an hour and capture points with no other players in sight (Which yes, it does have to do with my server selection) then most people will write it off and move on. The smaller matches where you can see the mechanics in action give you a much better idea of the "feel" of pvp gameplay and that is what most people base there opinion on.

I understand that I did not do much PvP outside stonehenge, but that should not matter. It is not my fault Funcom made a new server without enough players to fill it up. Most people quit when there are not as many other people to play with, and with that being the way it is on Leviathon..you may as well just count those players subs as lost even faster. 

The problem is that the gameplay of pvp itself is really easy and not very compelling. The combat feels more like a pre-WoW MMO then a post-WoW one. Thats how bad it is. Yes I think the game has some great story elements, decent graphics, and an awesome atmosphere. That stuff only lasts through to the finishing of content though, and short of some MAJOR combat revisions, this game won't get very far. I pretty much figured it was dead on arrival and it has probably gotten more success then I initially expected, but there are some pretty simple facts here. The game has a cash shop out of the gate, with a sub, and is launching around two really hyped up / big selling tripple A titles. Funcom has experience with failed projects more then any other MMO game developer and probably figured they could milk some cash for a little bit before it goes free to play.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Celcius

Bcbully being dense as always. PvP in TSW revolves around gearing up, using the most OP build you can find and then pressing the same 3 attacks over and over. Yeah, it's real hard.

Maybe GW1. Lol, not even close with GW2. If you just spam your abilities in that game and people start moving behind you / losing you / dodging you will just miss and waste the cooldowns. That alone is already far better then every other MMO out there in terms of skill. PvP in GW (and GW2) also does not revolve around gearing up. 

you can do all that is tsw, loosing los, dodging etc..  Most of the big hitters like the much overhyped red mist are on long cooldowns too

combat wise TSw is OK, its not as good as GW2, but its better than your wow/rift/swtor combat.

The problems with tsw pvp are the higher level rules that encourage token farmes to take the path of least resistance.

this is why the pvp was much more fun in beta than live.  in beta it was pvpers pvping for the hell of it.  in live it was raiders farming it in the most efficient manner.  Making the PVP gearless and replacing the rewards with cosmetics would make the PVP so much better, there would not be all these pveers stinking the pvp up.

Originally posted by BigRock411

Im reading the complaints and its making fusang look like 3 giant 150 person packs fighting eachother...it has never been like that for me...not even close...its full of small groups...yeah there are time, especially near respawns where the groups get big but that is the point of 150 vs 150 pvp...if you dont like that kind of large number pvp please feel free to queue for the smaller group pvp maps...im mean seriously this is getting retarded.

You want skilled 1vs1 pvp and your hardcore and a pro pvper go play darkfall it needs players..

Also im not sure what this balance stuff is about...the game has a balancing mechanism in fusang...i go in and get a healthy hp boost and seem to hit like a truck and im all QL 6-8...  I think few people really grasp the game yet, if your getting dropped so fast in pvp feel free to put on a few tank items, mabey add a heal from the misc wheel...

thats the problem - its not mass pvp - its quickly zerg that ungaurded facilty then go back to questing, then pop back in 30 minutes to zerg an empty objective again  - its MASS PVE

Bcbully being dense as always. PvP in TSW revolves around gearing up, using the most OP build you can find and then pressing the same 3 attacks over and over. Yeah, it's real hard.

Real pvprs.....Man, if I had a nickle for everytime I see that get thrown around.

Some like the zerg vs zerg, some like small groups, some like solo, some like FFA open world, some like arenas. I have tried to find a MMORPG that has what some say is real pvp and I have come to the conclusion that most of the so called pvprs cannot come to a consensus as to what real pvp is. The many faliled pvp MMO games out there pretty much backs up this conclusion.

The only game I have not seen anyone bash when it omes to PvP is GW. GW would be the closest thing to PvP nirvana. GW2....based on what I have read it seems allot like LoL in the sense that pretty much everyone is the same. The skins just look different. If you tell me that the skills are varied then it will end up like GW, FoTM builds countered by FoTM counter builds or it will go the way of the nerf. Only time will tell.

And I do agree thst it is mainly a pve game with a side of pvp.

name a successful 100% PVE game.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

OP, I realize you love this game and have become emotionally invested in it, but TSW pvp that consists of two battlegrounds, a persistent pvp zone that has amounted to token grinding, and dueling area is not something I consider fun. 

As far as flexibility, it is no way shape or form comparable to eve online.  The amount of ships and ways to build a ship are staggering when compared to the few viable builds for pvp in TSW.  I am not sure how you can even make that comparison--the only way you could is if you have never really played Eve or gotten very far. 

The game is not sandboxy in the least.  Once everyone has all the skills, which they will because there is no other progression, it will be just like every other thempark game in terms of PvP...people will find what build works and use it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Worstluck

OP, I realize you love this game and have become emotionally invested in it, but TSW pvp that consists of two battlegrounds, a persistent pvp zone that has amounted to token grinding, and dueling area is not something I consider fun. 

As far as flexibility, it is no way shape or form comparable to eve online.  The amount of ships and ways to build a ship are staggering when compared to the few viable builds for pvp in TSW.  I am not sure how you can even make that comparison--the only way you could is if you have never really played Eve or gotten very far. 

The game is not sandboxy in the least.  Once everyone has all the skills, which they will because there is no other progression, it will be just like every other thempark game in terms of PvP...people will find what build works and use it.

if you think there are only 3 or 4 viablr builds you hvae not played enough. 

If you think there are only 3 or 4 viable builds you have not learned the system. There is no other way to put it.

There are no two builds the same. Go to the chornicle sit and find me two identical builds in the top 40 of any catagory. You wont find it. Hundreds of thousands of players and no two are made the same. Pretty cool and pretty sandboxy if you ask me. 

You say a lot here with no substance. There is no other mmo other than eve that gives you the flexibility in build as TSW. Plus you have people for avatars... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Whyhate

A learning curve similar to EvE?

I seriously hope you are joking.... , the PVP kinda sucks, CC everywhere, everyone using the same builds, zergs, no alliances beetwen factions.

How is the PVP learning curve similar to EvE at all? if anything it's more like SWTOR, 0 learnign curve and nothing meaningful to fight for.

Funny the guy below you post said there is no CC on the first or second page...

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Everquest.  It may be old and subs are probably dwindelling now, but back in the day it was the king. I think that purely PvE games now would not do so well though, which is why I feel like TSW will be just something that people will forget about in a month.

Everquest.  It may be old and subs are probably dwindelling now, but back in the day it was the king. I think that purely PvE games now would not do so well though, which is why I feel like TSW will be just something that people will forget about in a month.

It's been a month. First major update in 5 days with the second coming a month from that. TSW will still be the most highly rated game on this site one month from now.

Originally posted by bcbully

It's been a month. First major update in 5 days with the second coming a month from that. It will still be the most highly rated game on this site one month from now.

Not really sure where you got that TSW is the most highly rated game on this site...The game is #2 on most popular and waaay down the list on the review scores..Not that it matters though, this site is mostly garbage when it comes to those kinds of things anyways. I would pay more attention to sites that are bigger like IGN,Gamespot,Gametrailers,ect. Yeah I know alot of the MMO reviews from most mainstream sites are crap to people like you and me, but to the average gamer who buys a new game they matter alot. Check out the gripes they have specifically on combat.

Edit: Did not check under the "released" category and i see what you were referencing now, but it does not matter. That changes pretty frequently  Again though, my argument stands. The sample size for the voting pool is way too small anyways (about 460 to Rift's 860) so its not very accurate.

The update isnt that major honestly. Auction house that was done pre-launch but was taken out since it was broken, like 6-7 new missions? (45 minutes lol) And a couple of heroic modes for some dungeons...not really a major update if you ask me. Also, while they did claim there would be monthly updates alot of people seem to haven taken this out of context. They wont have content patches with the amount of content in each pay say a game like Rift has. (closest comparison if they do monthly patches since Rift averages about 6-8 weeks each patch) 

This is actually what they said:

Mission packs on a monthly basis! The first few packs will contain new investigations for every adventure zone in the game -- but we also have more action and sabotage missions planned for the near future. These missions will feature fully voiced cut-scenes and new media pop-ups, and will match the quality of the missions currently in the game

They did not include anything on that huge bulleted list in the "monthly update" category except for this. And this is Funcom saying this. One of the few game developers still dumb enough to promise a list of content before it is even close to ready. If they keep up with the monthly updates (beyond mission packs, honestly that is a joke) then I will eat my hat.

It's been a month. First major update in 5 days with the second coming a month from that. It will still be the most highly rated game on this site one month from now.

Not really sure where you got that TSW is the most highly rated game on this site...The game is #2 on most popular and waaay down the list on the review scores..

Ok man your getting hard to talk to. Your not even trying to be truthful.

Look at the front page under released games what do you see? Rated by the users on this site. Take care.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Not really sure where you got that TSW is the most highly rated game on this site...The game is #2 on most popular and waaay down the list on the review scores..Not that it matters though, this site is mostly garbage when it comes to those kinds of things anyways. I would pay more attention to sites that are bigger like IGN,Gamespot,Gametrailers,ect. Yeah I know alot of the MMO reviews from most mainstream sites are crap to people like you and me, but to the average gamer who buys a new game they matter alot. Check out the gripes they have specifically on combat.

Edit: Did not check under the "released" category and i see what you were referencing now, but it does not matter. That changes pretty frequently  Again though, my argument stands. The sample size for the voting pool is way too small anyways (about 460 to Rift's 860) so its not very accurate.

The update isnt that major honestly. Auction house that was done pre-launch but was taken out since it was broken, like 6-7 new missions? (45 minutes lol) And a couple of heroic modes for some dungeons...not really a major update if you ask me. Also, while they did claim there would be monthly updates alot of people seem to haven taken this out of context. They wont have content patches with the amount of content in each pay say a game like Rift has. (closest comparison if they do monthly patches since Rift averages about 6-8 weeks each patch) 

This is actually what they said:

Mission packs on a monthly basis! The first few packs will contain new investigations for every adventure zone in the game -- but we also have more action and sabotage missions planned for the near future. These missions will feature fully voiced cut-scenes and new media pop-ups, and will match the quality of the missions currently in the game

They did not include anything on that huge bulleted list in the "monthly update" category except for this. And this is Funcom saying this. One of the few game developers still dumb enough to promise a list of content before it is even close to ready. If they keep up with the monthly updates (beyond mission packs, honestly that is a joke) then I will eat my hat.

Dude, why are you still on The Secret World forum?  How about going over and enthusing under GW2 for awhile?

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

If you think there are only 3 or 4 viable builds you have not learned the system. There is no other way to put it.

There are no two builds the same. Go to the chornicle sit and find me two identical builds in the top 40 of any catagory. You wont find it. Hundreds of thousands of players and no two are made the same. Pretty cool and pretty sandboxy if you ask me. 

You say a lot here with no substance. There is no other mmo other than eve that gives you the flexibility in build as TSW. Plus you have people for avatars... 

Wake up an smell the coffee, if you think TSW isn't going to be ruled by FOTM builds then you have another thing coming. 

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

TSW's PvP is way too simplistic at it's core mainly because of how the combat system pigeonholed just about every aspect of the game.  Having played both extensively I can't see how anyone can compare GW2's PvP and TSW's PvP and say TSW's PvP is better.  I can maybe understand if you were talking about PvE, but GW2's PvP is in a league of it's own.

Guild Wars 2 has more flexibility in build options (TSW's overall skill system is great, but the current design of it forces you into only very specific and select builds to be effective), much more team dynamics, faster more action oriented gameplay, less "I win" rotations, massive siege warfare, gear equality in structured PvP (anyone who thinks you need vertical progression in PvP isn't a true PvPer in my eyes), tournaments, and is attempting to break into Esports following.

What does TSW's PvP have over Guild Wars 2?  Leaderboards.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

You know what, you are right, I have not played TSW as much as you have I will admit that.  I didn't care for it in the end.  I loved the story and missions--just sick of instances and gear grinds.

Do you realize how many ships there are in Eve Online?  Here is abreakdown of just the basic ship classes in the game:

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Ship

Now a lot of ship classes are further broken down into various factions, amarr, gallente, caldari, minmatar, pirate factions and so forth.  There are very few ships that have no use at some level, and of course not every single ship was created with PvP in mind (but what is great about eve is that every ship can be involved in pvp in some way, some how).  All of these ships have various slots for modules, and there A LOT of different kinds of modules.  Every single module even has various levels power.  The sheer combination of ships and modules is insane.  This is complexity a themepark game like TSW can never achieve.

Now...we have skills.  Every category of course has different types of skills.  Again not everything is meant for pvp, but most skills do have some effect on pvp in some way.  I would imagine that almost every single character that has been playing for a decent amount has a slightly different skill set.   I have several characters that are years old all with totally different skill sets.  You will barely ever run into two people with the same skills in pvp.  Similar of course, but most likely different.  TSW does not have this complexity I am sorry.  At the end of day, every character in TSW that has been playing for a few months will have the same exact skills.  You have choice of what skills to put on your hotbar, but that is it.  There are going to be builds that are stronger than others.  This will limit that amount of variety you see.  Many of the skills in different weapons even do the same thing.  They repeat each other.  Just depends on if what weapon skin you want.

There is so much choice in Eve when it comes to pvp.  Sure there are OP ships here and there, but I have gotten by just fine flying what the hell I want when I want.  That is a sandbox.

There is some substance for you.  I even bothered to link things :) Instead of telling me to go prove your own point.  You provided absolutely no evidence in your OP that PvP in TSW is somehow hard, or that it is even complex or different than every other themepark game that has come out in recent times.  You just stated things, which was your opinion.

I have no problem with TSW, it's a fine game.  But PvP is not it's strong point and to be honest I think they should just focus on creating new story content and missions/raids/instances and drop the idea of making more pvp and trying to balance skills for pvp.  Keep what they have, make some changes to Fusang so it's not a facility trade I suppose.

• LypheusLypheus Member UncommonPosts: 82

PvP is hard?

Wow, guess I'm that good :).

Here's my 'winning' strategy, I basically 3 shot ppl and,  with very few exceptions, win while they are still down.

Touchdown! -> Beatdown -> Haymaker -> Wild At Heart.

Just for kicks, I run Epicenter just in case i'm not landing the usual 3-5k initial haymaker or WaH.

That's not to say you cannot theory craft all sorts of win conditions to beat that - good luck implementing them in a fight, 9/10 I have no issues reaching and KD'ing the target.

Fun game, very poor PvP options atm though, FP is getting pretty long in the tooth as-is and good luck queueing for the other two instances.

snip

I am a fan of EvE. I know how deep the system is. It's ships though. Not people. We all know EvE is the exception to the rule. As I've said no system other than EvE will provide you more flexibility. 

read the OP again...

Not really sure where you got that TSW is the most highly rated game on this site...The game is #2 on most popular and waaay down the list on the review scores..

Ok man your getting hard to talk to. Your not even trying to be truthful.

Look at the front page under released games what do you see? Rated by the users on this site. Take care.

You clearly did not read my post. I went in shortly after posting that I saw what you were talking about and let you know of my mistake. I had to give you some credit, i mean you are clearly out of your league here when it comes to the gameplay in TSW being garbarge.

Magnum:
    True build flexibility (this everyone uses AR thing is bullshit, a lot of pugging noobs use it because they think "yay self heals")
    Leaderboards, although I've never looked at them
    No e sports (i don't co side ramming a square e sports peg in a round mmo hole a win)
    I CAN SEE THE NAMES OF WHO I AM FIGHTING

But overall gw2 has the better pvp, but its not the pinnacle of mmo pvp gaming that the fanbois make out. It's the best pvp in a good few years, but it aint no daoc, eve or planetside for 3.