Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Pok

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In this week's WoW Factor, we offer up our thoughts on the Pet Battles feature coming with the the launch of Mists of Pandaria, the latest expansion to World of Warcraft.

So, we could go on and on rather pointlessly about the recently announced Pandaria launch date. But we already did that here. So instead, in this edition of the WoW Factor, I’d like to offer a few thoughts on the recently added Pet Battle System to the beta for Blizzard’s latest Azerothian expansion.  In short? It’s really quite the Pokémon meets WoW addition you’d expect it to be. But that’s not really a bad thing. In an MMORPG that has come to favor the “game” part of the acronym more than the RP, I’ve actually found the pet battle system to be an interesting alternate form of progression and fun to be had in Warcraft.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The WoW Factor: Pokémon? Yes, But It’s Fun.

Comments

• vierklauwvierklauw Member UncommonPosts: 27

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

just another gimmick that no one will play after the novelty wears off, Similar to that mount combat game they added, does anyone play that now?

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by MikeB

In this week's WoW Factor, we offer up our thoughts on the Pet Battles feature coming with the the launch of Mists of Pandaria, the latest expansion to World of Warcraft.

So, we could go on and on rather pointlessly about the recently announced Pandaria launch date. But we already did that here. So instead, in this edition of the WoW Factor, I’d like to offer a few thoughts on the recently added Pet Battle System to the beta for Blizzard’s latest Azerothian expansion.  In short? It’s really quite the Pokémon meets WoW addition you’d expect it to be. But that’s not really a bad thing. In an MMORPG that has come to favor the “game” part of the acronym more than the RP, I’ve actually found the pet battle system to be an interesting alternate form of progression and fun to be had in Warcraft.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The WoW Factor: Pokémon? Yes, But It’s Fun.

As an ex-wow player (jan '05 - feb '12) I can't overstate how insulting the "Kung Fu panda & Pokemon" expansion is. MoP is the best that Blizzard could do?? MoP!! I mean really?? *sigh...

My wife and I quit early in '12 and half our Guild has now quit. I have pre-purchased GW2 and so far I can see Tyria being my new mmo-home.

My thoughts on MoP: Kung Fu Panda & Pokemon definitely not for me or my wife. To those that stay in WOW see ya! To those that come over to GW2... see ya on August 25th! :-)

Cheers!

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I wonder if they will have a "Team Rocket" quest were you have to battle them or they will steal your hmm for lack of better word pokecraft pets.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Considering the money blizzard make from wow, their expansions are insulting. Does this game even have guild halls yet?

Originally posted by Istavaan

Considering the money blizzard make from wow, their expansions are insulting. Does this game even have guild halls yet?

That's the million dollar question!

How can Blizzard ever justify MoP with all the revenue they get from WOW??

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Well, you can see this caters to their target market audience these days, sort of the farmville type of gamer.

Serious MMORPG fans need no longer apply.

But then again, the train left the station quite some time ago I think.

Edit: But then again, who the heck wants to have fun in a MMORPG, they are serious business! image

Whoo hoo, 15K....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

As I keep stating this is Blizz last leg for this game. They know it why do you tink the are trying to pull in the millions of China players. common since lmao

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

Hmm whats with the title. I always thought Pokemon were fun (Funner than most MMOs ever made).  And I am pretty sure Pandaren were around before the Kung Fu Panda movies were even thought of.  In any case, I havent played WoW in about 5 years, if it ever went totally BTP/FTP I might jump back in though (probably never)

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    And yet anothet instanced minigame! Why couldn't they do the same thing but IN the world? ie: people around could see the combat and cheer at you.

Instancing is sadly what turns mmorpg into solo-coopgames
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Edit: But then again, who the heck wants to have fun in a MMORPG, they are serious business! image

Whoo hoo, 15K....

Fun in MMORPGs?  Is that even allowed?

I have mixed opinions on MoP in general.  The only thing I know for sure is they didn't design it for me.  No doubt many will like it, that's what Blizzard does.

Grats on the 15.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Well, you can see this caters to their target market audience these days, sort of the farmville type of gamer.

Serious MMORPG fans need no longer apply.

But then again, the train left the station quite some time ago I think.

Whoo hoo, 15K....

Agreed.

The train left for me when I bought and played Cata; that was my last expansion.

Yellow: I'm not one of those who believes games to be serious business to the point that it turns into a job; I'm all about playign the game and having fun with friends and family (main reason why i'm leaving WOW and moving towards GW2). Having said that, the kind of fun I'm talking about GW2 seems to understand better than WOW. I have nothing against WOW and after all the money and hours I've spent on WOW, I'm as far as one could be from being a WOW hater... however WOW and I no longer see eye to eye. My wife and I have parted ways from WOW and we are moving on!

Cheers!

• DukeTyrionDukeTyrion Member UncommonPosts: 89

Every game needs other sources of entertainment, between questing and raids.

EQ2 has housing and collections, DAoC has PvP and Trophies, Vanguard has Diplomacy and now WoW has Pet Battles ... I am all for anything that adds antoher options other that questing, dailies & crafting.

Anyway, it will give me a use for the 112 pets I have collected over the years!

Originally posted by DukeTyrion

Every game needs other sources of entertainment, between questing and raids.

EQ2 has housing and collections, DAoC has PvP and Trophies, Vanguard has Diplomacy and now WoW has Pet Battles ... I am all for anything that adds antoher options other that questing, dailies & crafting.

Anyway, it will give me a use for the 112 pets I have collected over the years!

I understand the need for a break from the daily grind; sad that a game bores/frustruates its playerbase enough to have to add other forms of gameplay in order to keep its playerbase. It's what hapens when game focuses on "work" as opposed to the "fun" of playing the game.

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with pokemon battles except for the fact that WOW hasn't added anything NEW for the characters. By new I mean not more of the same (grinding for gear via linear quests and queuing for raids for 30 min waiting on healers/tanks). And furthermore, WOW simplified the talent tree system even more, as if it wasnt simple enough already! WOW keeps appealing to the lowest denominator time and time again... I mean, there's only so low you can get before you turn into one of those cheap F2P korean mmos.

I'm not hating on WOW, I guess you could say I'm venting my frustruation on a game which I have invested a lot of time and money in. WOW no longer is the same game and though they have over 6 million players in Asia (mainly China), they lost me and my wife.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

So much senseless QQ'ing from people, it's one feature of the expansion - might not be your flavour but no matter how much you think otherwise no developer can please all off the people all the time.  I'll be playing GW2 and MOP and theres nothing wrong with that.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Now pet battles probably won't be for me, but I really see these gameplay additions as the future of MMOs. There really is no limit how many you can cram in there. If you like then fine, otherwise, just skip them. The challenge mode dungeons is another gameplay addition. One that is more tailored for me. I see wow as the theme park end game visionaries at this point in time honestly. All other theme park game companies are pretty clueless to be honest.

That said I'm really looking forward to gw2, but considering their take on endgame is quite stale i will most likely return to wow in time for mop
  • volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27

same thing i can say about Guild (Doors) Wars 2 about their jump puzzle, what is that Super Mario over again ?? There are already a ton of Super Mario game out there

Originally posted by volvoxaureus

same thing i can say about Guild (Doors) Wars 2 about their jump puzzle, what is that Super Mario over again ?? There are already a ton of Super Mario game out there

Big dif from having your pets fighting (instead of your characters) and having your characters solve jumping puzzles. Sure its prob a copy from mario... would rather copy from mario than from pokemon to be honest!

• volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27

hmm so my pets will fight and I'll have to watch only ?? there isn't a manual combat ?? 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm actually looking forward to the pets. I like the non-seriousness of WoW.

Eventually, I hope we can have little pet battles outside of an instance. It's the sort of little entertaining detail that other games don't have.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    The responses here look more like what mmorpg wanted, so let's keep this one up instead of taking it down like the announcement was. I suppose if said swtor, tsw and GW2 are better games than wow this comment would get its own blog on mmorpg
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

What I wonder is will the pet system have lasting appeal or will it be a gimmick that not many people use after the initial period? 

I think Blizzard have now firmly moved their business focus away from the west as there is just no way for them to grow further here which is evident from the overall theme of the expansion. I expect a lot more minigames like pet battles to come in the future, Mahjong anyone? 

Oh meant to say also, can't wait for the QQ about OP pets in the future and unbalance lol. 
  • MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

I have enjoyed collecting various pets so I am looking forward to trying this out.

Hopefully they will think up ways to make it more than just a novelty. And some way of showing off would be nice.

• jab365jab365 Member Posts: 2

Tried out the Pet Battles last weekend and had fun with it. Like the other commentor said, finally have use for all those pets. I think Blizzard is going in the right direction in putting in different things to do and that's far better than just another boss, more gear to grind to get a chance to grind more gear, and some story. Pet Battles and Challenge Dungeons will breathe some life into it and based what I've seen in the beta, they've turned me around from maybe dropping it to sticking with it. Now once I've finished the questing, I can still log in for ten minutes and get something done other than dailies or gathering. I welcome that.

I'm seriously looking forward to more mini games to go with all the rest.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

While I still have friends that play Wow, I will not be going back.  Just become far too childish for my taste.  Panda's and pet fights are basically the last straw.