Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have come to the conclusion that pvp sucks.. my rant on the TSW forums.

Comments

• Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

Assault rifle is heavily overrated. 

Everyone is taking physical damage weapons, so build physical protection equipment, not like magic protect is really necessary. 

Good players adapt in PVP, bad players whine. 

Assault rifle damage is well inline with the damage the other spells do, Assault rifle has a sub spec in healing and 0 efffective crowd controls. Know your enemy, and counter that enemy.

High damage, aoe and single from a long range, all physical.

Nearly any melee build I've tried locks down and burst AR through the floor before they can act. Hell even blood DPS using focus attacks and crowd controls will out DPS a AR build player. 

Considering theres not esport/competitive system yet (or will be) there's no "team building" really going on, cause I can gaurentee that AR would not be a high priority for any real competitive fighting. Melee trashes them so fast....

The beauty of TSW is that you can swap an entire gear set and ability set within a few seconds outside of combat making counterbuilds a reality.  If you don't have a list of effective builds your doing it wrong. 

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

hm... after playing and doing PvP for some years... I can tell you that PvP is just a flawed concept all around, at some point I feel that no matter how hard the developers try... Its going to be bad anyways...

1. Aimbots - if you play a shooter... (all sorts of BS included)...

2. Swap-fest or no pvp at all because they just swap stuff...

3. Zerg-Fest... The Power of the Horde!!!!

4. Stare Contest - Look at Leage of Legends, you run to your tower, you stare the enemy and wait for someone to do something stupid and you get a kill...

I mean in every friggin game and genre... Strategy games are a bunch of zerg zerg zerg... FPS are full of botters and crap and everything else is in the middle...

ps: umadbro?

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Maitraderso its just a bunch of people spamming red mist

Stopped reading there.  You can't spam Red Mist.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

if you bought this game to pvp you didnt do your research.  it's a pve game.

^^this

[mod edit] it has pvp and has 3 factions fighting and they have bragged about fusang in articles before. So dont attempt to sound witty with this crap because it has pvp.

TSW is and will be a good game to most at first but in a month or two unless they totally reinvent their pvp and even some of their pve it will be free to play a lot sooner then later. There is fundamental flaws in their mechanics in both pve and pvp and funcom is not a company I would trust to fix this , you can look at AOC to this day and see and AO.

i followed TSW's development for 4 years.  yes it has pvp,  your post was more inflammatory than mine.  if anyone looked into the development of this game they would know that it is a pve centric game.  but yes it offers pvp.  so don't try to sound witty with this crap about funcom,  they are one of the most sucessful indie developers in the industry.  you can look at AoC and AO.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Also who the  heck came up with the crappy fusang? its about as dumb of a map of any game ive seen and to think it gives your faction the most buffs? and will always go to the team with largest zerge. lol need i say more? 

I've complained about this -- but if you do it in the official forums, you will get shit on. It also turns out (not surprisingly) that most of the greatest defenders of this happen to be part of the great zergs.

Fusang is horrible. I just go in and do my quests and gtfo, because I don't want to feed the Great Red Zerg on my server. I think it needs to be fixed and I have stated here that it is broken.

I'm still having fun with the pve aspects of the game. I play Stonehenge and that is at least faction balanced. I see a lot of hammer one-shotting, so I don't know why you would complain about that. I haven't played it but I hate being on the receiving end of it.

I hardly ever got into El Dorado, so I just stopped queuing for it.

But as OP observed, the game is not even out for a month. I think we will see some changes/fixes/additions to pvp. I'm enjoying the pve enough to stick around and see how pvp is handled, especially Fusang, because as it is now, it is broken and unfair in the way the world domination buffs reinforce the zerg. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm sorry to hear they got you OP. Really am.

There were those of us that tried to warn people, and point out some of the red flags, and legitimate issues this game has. However, the fanboy brigade for this game wasn't having any of it. Instead we got a bunch of ear-plugged responses to the tune of 'this game is the best, most perfect, most innovative game ever, and is the future of the genre'.

I enjoyed playing on a friend's account, and liked it for a while (I basically treated it as a single player game). However, once I got through the story (which I was a little dissapointed in, tbh), and got into doing nightmares / pvp, I could only stomache about a week of that, and then I was done. Wish is a shame, because I like the aesthetic of the game. I like the voice acting, much of the writing, and I did enjoy the first & last storyline.

What I didn't like is that nearly every story was completely different to the point where I felt myself asking 'wait a minute, what about the one I just finished? What happened w/ all that?'. It was kinda lame, it felt like every story I finished was just that 'done, on to the next one!' without any real sense of why that was important, or how it tied into the world as a whole.

- I really liked the idea of this game, but a lot of the features just aren't full realized, and they don't tackle any of the problems most current MMOs have. (as you found out OP)

• hotixhotix Member UncommonPosts: 130

Please keep complaining about red mist lol. That just shows how much of a bad you truly are. I hit for 7k+ with my hammer and that skill is an instant cast?????? But red mist hits for like 4k and takes 2 seconds to cast, "12k crit/pene". Ar is the best skill I go into pvp with 2k hp. 

For those of you that have played these are the stats the cry babies here are using. Complaining about red mist killing them because it does 4k dmg when they only go into pvp with 2-3k hp. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by hotix

Please keep complaining about red mist lol. That just shows how much of a bad you truly are. I hit for 7k+ with my hammer and that skill is an instant cast?????? But red mist hits for like 4k and takes 2 seconds to cast, "12k crit/pene". Ar is the best skill I go into pvp with 2k hp. 

For those of you that have played these are the stats the cry babies here are using. Complaining about red mist killing them because it does 4k dmg when they only go into pvp with 2-3k hp. 

actually majority of this thread isnt about redmist and how "bad" as you say people are its about how "bad " the pvp system is in this game. Red Mist is on a 30 second cooldown who cares about it.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'd say there's nothing Funcom can do to stop the exodus to GW2. Not with a month to go. And the player-generated hype around GW2 is so loud that everyone will at least want to go and see what it's all about. 

I think it true. I unsubscribed yesterday from TSW, simply because I was feeling more and more that TSW is just a single-payer game and pvp got boring very quickly. I have no intention to pay sub-fees for "single-player" games. I have planty of them on Steam. 

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Its interesting reading all these threads on here, and on the secret world forums about people either praising the pvp or just despising it.   Anyways the pvp mechanics are fine and working as intended and need some tweaks, what needs tweaking is the layout and objectives of Fusung and it will a great persistent pvp ground.  Its definitely far from terrible but again still have issues such as lag, zerg mentality ( a whole different subject but is mostly due to players not trying something different, player tend to take the path of least resistance) .

The skill wheel has many mnay possibilities and when a proper team not zerg uses them as a team anything is possible and becomes a test of teamwork and not zerging.  For example on many occasions when playing with a set core of players thatI tend to end up with our group of 12 was able to trump any zerg group by using tactics, location, and positioning.  12 vs 25  is a big difference and you would think the bigger group would win but that isn't the case.  

Addtionally anticipating zerg movment was key to removing their spawn points thus cutting off the zone.  As most  who have playeed Fusung running into a well that is even moderately defended is almost impossible to take over but like many player will do is rush in dying over and over, the better tactic is to wait for the zerg to move on and any stragglers as well and take it over with less resistance. 

Now the facilities do have issues they're too easy to take over and will need improvement in the sense that holding them will sometime in the future reward the faction.  

But overall Fusang has many little nuances that players don't notice because they end up in their zerg mentality.  As a test I've ran many times on my own or with 1 or 2 buddies and our objective was to redirect the zerg by baiting, cutting of wells as it was much easier to move around in smaller groups and not get spotted then in a zerg.

As you mentioned and should clearly understand if you've played any mmo is that changes take time and also require player feedback.  Addtionally coming to a forum in which no Dev will ever go to and complaining doesn't do anything for anyone.  I'm not sure if you know but TSW has stated they have content being released every month, one being at the end of this month which I have not seen very many MMOs do at all. 

I don't play the game as much any more as well, as I am one of the players who are guilty of just flying through the content but mostly cause I take the most optimized route and avoid useless content and favour pvp.   I ran Hammer/Chaos, but my build was not one that required hammer spamming as it used overlapping dots, procs and elite skills which all added up to tremendous damage.  I ran 10k hp,  over 1500 physical proctection as I found my play style put me in the center of sword users mostly and the magic users and AR guys using Redmist or whatever its called I could charge and kill in a matter of moments.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

im not trying to be an ass but on here since the beginning of release i told people the pvp sucked hardcore and was attacked constantly with learn to play or you just suck crap. Im a long time pvp player , i played shadowbane DAOC WAR RIFT WOW , just about every other mmorpg out there at least tried and i can say that TSW pvp is by far the worst pvp ive seen it has no character at all and is totally pointless and not a bit of dev time went into developing it. The skill wheel sucks period its like 90% filler 10% good solid skills for decks. When you are buying skills that do less damage and have less proc for 34 pts and you have a much better one at 4 points that is retarded no matter where you suger coat it. Then in pvp adding stupid abilites that disarm you for 5 seconds and let players die and keep fighting for 5 seconds is the most retarded crap ive ever heard of. People that approve of the pvp here are not pvpers period they just like to take advantage of a broken skillset and exploit it for LOLZ.

Also who the  heck came up with the crappy fusang? its about as dumb of a map of any game ive seen and to think it gives your faction the most buffs? and will always go to the team with largest zerge. lol need i say more? This game should not even have pvp if they are going to do it that bad but I also knew funcom coming into TSW with that trainwreck of age of conan and how crappy Anarchy online was to so I expected it to be bad. They always do this crap though make a great looking awesome game with really cool features but then fall flat on their face in later parts of the game. TSW is a good pve but past that its just a joke.

Well, what do you expect from fanboys? Majority of them hate when their game is being criticized, even when valid concerns are being raised. 

Originally posted by SuperDonk

It must be tough to be ready to quit a game three weeks into a lifetime sub. That is why I will never buy one. I was alittle upset I wasted $50 on this game, but I probably got what I would get out of a single player $50 game, so no worries. At least once it goes f2p you shuold get a monthly stipend of funcom credits to dress up your characters with.

I have no clue why people buy lifetime subs. Anytime I see them offerred, it's an immediate bad sign in my mind. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy

if you bought this game to pvp you didnt do your research.  it's a pve game.

^^this

[mod edit] it has pvp and has 3 factions fighting and they have bragged about fusang in articles before. So dont attempt to sound witty with this crap because it has pvp.

TSW is and will be a good game to most at first but in a month or two unless they totally reinvent their pvp and even some of their pve it will be free to play a lot sooner then later. There is fundamental flaws in their mechanics in both pve and pvp and funcom is not a company I would trust to fix this , you can look at AOC to this day and see and AO.

i followed TSW's development for 4 years.  yes it has pvp,  your post was more inflammatory than mine.  if anyone looked into the development of this game they would know that it is a pve centric game.  but yes it offers pvp.  so don't try to sound witty with this crap about funcom,  they are one of the most sucessful indie developers in the industry.  you can look at AoC and AO.

hey, my ingame name is 'Felidas'... want to try something?

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by XXXNemesis3X

After reading your post and watching a few pvp Video from Youtube, I have the feeling that I took the right choice to not buy this game like the few others that released during these last 3 years...

***Comming from a PvP Oriented Person***

I hear you on that! I played the Beta too and realized this game was not for me. PVP was stale. I feel like this game is going to go the way of Age of Conan! Just a cash grab for good ole Failcom.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

If you need ingame mechanics to force you to be social then the onply person to blame for feeling like its a singple player game is you. MMORPG, Singple player RPG, RPG with CO-OP...they are all RPGs. Its up to you to socialize when the game allows it.

As far as PvP goes, the only people I see feeling like they got scammed were the ones who lied to themselves into believeing the game was more than it was. You basicly see this with every game that offers any type of PvP.

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

It must be tough to be ready to quit a game three weeks into a lifetime sub. That is why I will never buy one. I was alittle upset I wasted $50 on this game, but I probably got what I would get out of a single player $50 game, so no worries. At least once it goes f2p you shuold get a monthly stipend of funcom credits to dress up your characters with.

Same boat for me, lifetime sub and well the gme simply don't cut it for me past Kingsmouth, thought I would play it forever but no. So I'll unload the lifetime sub somehow and get at least back a bit of cash.

• nordyanordya Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by 7star

Also who the  heck came up with the crappy fusang? its about as dumb of a map of any game ive seen and to think it gives your faction the most buffs? and will always go to the team with largest zerge. lol need i say more? 

I've complained about this -- but if you do it in the official forums, you will get shit on. It also turns out (not surprisingly) that most of the greatest defenders of this happen to be part of the great zergs.

Fusang is horrible. I just go in and do my quests and gtfo, because I don't want to feed the Great Red Zerg on my server. I think it needs to be fixed and I have stated here that it is broken.

I'm still having fun with the pve aspects of the game. I play Stonehenge and that is at least faction balanced. I see a lot of hammer one-shotting, so I don't know why you would complain about that. I haven't played it but I hate being on the receiving end of it.

I hardly ever got into El Dorado, so I just stopped queuing for it.

But as OP observed, the game is not even out for a month. I think we will see some changes/fixes/additions to pvp. I'm enjoying the pve enough to stick around and see how pvp is handled, especially Fusang, because as it is now, it is broken and unfair in the way the world domination buffs reinforce the zerg. 

Yep, if you dare complain on the forum for whatever reason, they skin you alive. They told me to GTFO and sell my lifetime sub, their wish is my command /snicker

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't get this "its always been a pve game nonsense"

Been following it for years, it was always marketed as a mixed game much like gw2.

It's only in the past few months they started dropping pvp content, agartha, locked to single char, multiple warzones, shambala as ranked arena and even more recently they started talking about hardcore pve content like raids and what have you.

I will tell you when the worm turned as well, when arenanet put out the WvW demo. It's like funcom saw that, abandoned all their pvp plans and started listening to that highly local whiney pro raid/anti pvp minority you get in every mmo beta trying to change the game into everquest 3.
    If they never intended a pvp component why did they waste money on....

Having 3 sides, 2 sides would be cheaper to make

Having dimensions, without persistent pvp they could have shoved everyone on the same dimension

Building a big old map like fusang

Making the primary development on the new engine the ability to handle large crowds

If you really were there 4 years a go, like me 3 years a go. You would know they set out with a rvr type pvp endgame, and a pve endgame based around rock hard small 5 man content and outdoors everyone on the server pile on a big random boss. It was also meant to be much more horizontal progression based.
  • Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

PVP is an important part of a mmorpg i think

people may start to get bored to kill mobs and do quests only and they want to use their skills against players and see how good they are , you cant blame that

people say its only a PVE game if its true i think its bad move from Funcom , people need diversified to keep the game interesting and PVP is an intersting way to stay entertained

so if TWS PVP sucks(didnt have the chance to try PVP) its a major problem in my point of view

Not everyone wants to put up with the drama, politics, egos and 2nd job mentality of progression pve guilds.

You can make fantastic leveling content - which tsw has in spades, bug if your only choice after that is raid or die, you will loose subs. The people that like raid or die already have 2 good choices wow and rift.

This is why you need other endgame content, like...

Warfare type pvp
    Ranked type mini game pvp (different crowd to above)
    Rp facilities
    Endgame crafting
    Outdoor pve events (tsw sort of has this with rarest and lair, but some random events to draw everyone in like say an army of anubis invading Egypt would be great)
    Cabal housing
    Cabal leveling features
    Competative args

Etc...

The raid crowd is not as big as mmo devs think. Mmo players are older, many who used to raid got off the treadmill years ago.
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Maitrader

Greetings!

I have been a long-time supporter of funcom, and I love the PVE themepark they put us on. But the PVP is absolutely terrible... quite literally some of the worst I have ever, EVER seen. it really sucks...

That's actually the most positive thing I've ever heard a PvP'er say about the PvP in ANY game EVER!

Is the PvP in TSW really that much better than in any other game? I had no idea.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I think PVP in TSW is great fun..

I dont really have a dps build mroe of a support build and im doing perfectly fine thanks..

Blood/Fist speeced for healing most of the time but can also do some nice damage..

At the end of the day TSW is a themepark mmorpg and the pvp in this is just as good if not better than most recent themepark mmos..

but if I want proper PVP then i play games like Darkfall and mortal online.. i love the pvp in those games..

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

the game has great atmosphere,good investigation quests,and music and skill system

the rest is crap tho

horrible animation

horrible character creation

horrible pvp

zero end game content

not just that but the game is p2p with a  full cash shop.....

• spector_0_0spector_0_0 Member Posts: 28

The PvP is definitely the weakest link of the game.  As with other beta testers, we tried to inform the public about the poor PvP once we were able to.  The game has very strong PvE, but its longevity will rest on how well they can rescue PvP (as PvE content can be quickly burned through).  Sadly, the whole three faction storyline was lost with regards to PvP - such a shame.  

As others have mentioned, there are builds that work extremely well in PvP and many that simply cannot compete.  A lot of the appeal of the diversity of characters is lost when you are essentially forced to build your character a certain way.  This issue combined with only two mediocre non-persistent battlegrounds and a persistent battleground based around 3 quests leaves PvP players with getting the short-end of the stick.  I don't foresee many PvP players remaining after 8/28, as GW2 offers superior PvP in every aspect.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I hate to say "we told you so" but I see a sprinkling of buyers regret here from lifers...

I still don't understand why people go for lifetime subs in any MMO. I didn't understand it with LOTRO--which was, as far as I can remember, the first to offer lifetime subs--nor any other game. It takes a huge leap of faith to go lifetime even if you rationalize it as a 15 month break even proposition. I haven't played any MMO for 15 months since DAoC... there're just too many interesting new releases always coming around the corner.

Having said that... this PVP sucks thread is a classic case of premature evaluation. We're still in month #1 lol. It will improve. You can take that to the bank.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED