Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have come to the conclusion that pvp sucks.. my rant on the TSW forums.

MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

Greetings!

I have been a long-time supporter of funcom, and I love the PVE themepark they put us on. But the PVP is absolutely terrible... quite literally some of the worst I have ever, EVER seen. it really sucks on three different tiers... Tier 1: Viable Builds for PVP, Tier 2: Battlegrounds, Tier 3: Persistant pvp zone.

Tier 1: I am a Hammer/Shotty user, and do work with AR and Blade as well... what I have found, for DPS, the only real build you need is anything with AR in it, and if your going glance tank, blade is the way to go. The game has very little need for anything but that if your a DPS or Tank, so its just a bunch of people spamming red mist, and crimson theatre. So, for the statement that there are "thousands of possibilities" with this new system of progression, in fact, is true only aesthetically, and completely false when you get your ass into the front lines.

Tier 2: two battlegrounds is simply pathetic.. even SWTOR had three, but a simple two? TWO!??! how much can we as players that are either PVP/PVE balanced or PVP-centric enjoy two moderately fun battlegrounds? Some would say that SWTOR had three whereas TSW has three with the addition of Fusang right? WRONG... if you want to count persistant pvp, then let me remind you that you could skirmish throughout the worlds of SWTOR.... thus their persistant pvp was actually world pvp.. the two insignificant battlegrounds is simply NOT ENOUGH to keep any pvp minded person playing the game... especially when story-based pve content is a breeze for people who want to breeze through them. The fact that there isnt 2 - 3 more coming out in the next 1 - 2 months is a huge red flag, and quite frankly, many people will say buh-bye to TSW and head to GW2, where its b2p, and the pvp and pve content are acceptable for enjoyment.

Tier 3: The persistant pvp zone, fusang was fun for the first week, but now its just a place where you get in, finish your 3 quests, and zone out. There is no grace period of facilities, and thus, it swaps from hand to hand and thats it. It is a completely pointless zone in which people can sink their time just trying to get the nostalgic feeling of open pvp... Now as Funcom is the KING of instances, it feels like just that ... a huge, FAT, point pvp zone... If you want to keep this type of pvp going, then fine... but you better hurry your asses and get to making more Persistant PVP zones.. Zones like "The Battle of Jerusalum", "Fort Battles of America", or "The Straits of Hormuz", epic capture/control/benefit type of persistant PVP zones.. you guys are absolutely SQUANDERING YOUR LAST CHANCE at LEGITIMACY!

I know the game has been out for 3 weeks, and as an old school guild leader under funcoms roof (Alpha Omega), I can tell you that my old school core is ready to move on as they view this as a buggy, uninspiring solo-player cash grab... I mean really, box price + sub + cash shop for what?? a month of serious content, two battlegrounds, and an uninspiring pointless persistent pvp zone? you got my LTS, and thats fine, but if you guys dont start pumping content into the game like the queen in the "Alien" franchise pops out facehugger eggs, even I refuse to buy your "next title".

Rant over...

Comments

• XXXNemesis3XXXXNemesis3X Member Posts: 13

After reading your post and watching a few pvp Video from Youtube, I have the feeling that I took the right choice to not buy this game like the few others that released during these last 3 years...

***Comming from a PvP Oriented Person***

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'd say there's nothing Funcom can do to stop the exodus to GW2. Not with a month to go. And the player-generated hype around GW2 is so loud that everyone will at least want to go and see what it's all about.

Rushing any new PVP features in in the next month would probably result in bad, buggy zones and be a worse disaster than not putting them in at all.

TSW was not created with a PVP focus. It's very much a part of the game, but the initial focus is squarely on PVE. As far as I'm aware, Ragnar is known for his story/adventure games, not his FPS games.

FC would do well to build a really good PVP zone and release it in 3 or 4 months' time. By then the "new and shiny" will have worn off of GW2 and MoP. Trying to rush out something in the next 2 months will simply be ignored.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

The thing is, it really should have been a great setting and backdrop for a pvp game. Hopefully they can turn it into one but AoC also had great promise for a fantastic pvp game and Funcom dropped the ball on that one.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I hear you OP, I mentioned a few things you did in previous posts regarding the redundant skills. I never got a chance to pvp but I automatically assumed that because their skill system was flawed then the pvp system would be in the same boat. Given what is already available out there now, including some newer f2p modeled games. TSW does not warrant a purchase or a sub. Then again I applaud your tenacity in staying positive with Funcom as a company. I lost faith in them after AOC came out, which is the only reason why I hesitated in picking up TSW.

I hope everyone that bought this game enjoys it, however I think the games design lacks any true staying power. Flawed game design from the ground up can really hurt a game.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

im not trying to be an ass but on here since the beginning of release i told people the pvp sucked hardcore and was attacked constantly with learn to play or you just suck crap. Im a long time pvp player , i played shadowbane DAOC WAR RIFT WOW , just about every other mmorpg out there at least tried and i can say that TSW pvp is by far the worst pvp ive seen it has no character at all and is totally pointless and not a bit of dev time went into developing it. The skill wheel sucks period its like 90% filler 10% good solid skills for decks. When you are buying skills that do less damage and have less proc for 34 pts and you have a much better one at 4 points that is retarded no matter where you suger coat it. Then in pvp adding stupid abilites that disarm you for 5 seconds and let players die and keep fighting for 5 seconds is the most retarded crap ive ever heard of. People that approve of the pvp here are not pvpers period they just like to take advantage of a broken skillset and exploit it for LOLZ.

Also who the  heck came up with the crappy fusang? its about as dumb of a map of any game ive seen and to think it gives your faction the most buffs? and will always go to the team with largest zerge. lol need i say more? This game should not even have pvp if they are going to do it that bad but I also knew funcom coming into TSW with that trainwreck of age of conan and how crappy Anarchy online was to so I expected it to be bad. They always do this crap though make a great looking awesome game with really cool features but then fall flat on their face in later parts of the game. TSW is a good pve but past that its just a joke.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by XXXNemesis3X

Yeah but which type? I personally am an e-sport (aka time-limitted scenario) hating PVP oriented person who enjoys persistent 24/7 zones. Done enough PvP scenarios to last me a lifetime...done with that particular type of FPS-cloned PvP.

As to the OP going to Fusang to do 3 quests and then leaving... why in the world would anyone do that? Power-level? There are much easier ways to get those APs without bothering with Fusang.

The real problem with Fusang is the lack of effort required to flip objectives. This is why the better RvR games have a mix of defensible structures, incentives for moving around in the open, choke points, etc... like DAoC and GW2 WvW for example.

I'm willing to give Funcom the benefit of the doubt and see what months 2 and beyond have to offer. They have mentioned PvP dungeons and other Fusang-like areas... and hey, they got one thing right with the 3-sided PvP. It's month one and I'm in no hurry.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They've got the basics right, no classes, skill based, limited load out, collision detection, proper line of sight, 3 sides.

But they've failed to take into account wow generation gamers psychology. So pvp in live is just a bunch of carebears farming tokens.

The pvp was fun in closed beta, when only actual pvpers did it.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh and tsw pvp, in live is bad because of these aforementioned carebear farmers.

But worse than rift. Lol no way. Rift pvp sucks donkey balls, its all about who has best gear and can spam the best macro while jumping around in a fig8. Rift pvp is everything bad about wow pvp and some more.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

TSW is primarily a PVE game. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. And squandering their last chance at legitamacy? They won't be at that point unless they never release Dreamfall Chronicles.

<3

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I like the PvP.

the most used weapons at the moment are Blades, Chaos and AR, and I don't see a problem with it. something has to be the most used.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by dreamscaper

TSW is primarily a PVE game. I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise. And squandering their last chance at legitamacy? They won't be at that point unless they never release Dreamfall Chronicles.

Here is the problem with what your proposing. You are stating that TSW is primarily a PVE game. While thats good and all, if they decide to add a feature ... lets say PVP that does not work properly or is lackluster that still brings down the overall game. Being a PVE only game is fine, but if you want to be known as that then DO NOT add PVP at all. Otherwise your game should and will be judged based on that feature.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

I can honestly say that pvp is Secret World is the worst i have ever played. THERE IS NEVER AN EPIC FIGHT. Its just run in and die or run in and kill a bunch then die all in teh span of 30 seconds.

I am really enjoying the pve but the pvp is terrible.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• imno007imno007 Member Posts: 8

I really can't fairly comment too much on this game, as to whether it's good or bad - for pvp or pve - because I played the beta for so little time. I just could not get into it. I was almost immediately totally turned off by it when I saw all the emphasis being put into Facebook integration. I've never used Facebook except to use my account to log into other sites, because Facebook integration is omnipresent on the web, but seeing how they integrated  it into this game left me cold. All I could think of was some game designers/exectutives somewhere patting themselves on the back , congratulating themselves on this "brilliant" idea of  getting subscribers to both pay them to play the game AND give them free advertising to hook more subscribers by constantly posting to Facebook for more tokens or whatever they're calling them. But again I'm admittedly perhaps short-changing the game, maybe there's a lot more depth when you scratch beneath the surface. Maybe I'll give another shot up the road. But I hate Facebook and all it stands for, so count me out if you have to use it to really compete in the game.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that PvP is not a big part of this game.  It was never meant to be.  As has been stated before it is primarily a PvE game and I'm cool with that.  Not everyone is looking to "pwn da n00bs".  I would much rather enjoy the quests and story line and with TSW I'm loving it so far.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I tried the pvp once and my system just couldn't handle it well enough to get into it. 

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that PvP is not a big part of this game.  It was never meant to be.  As has been stated before it is primarily a PvE game and I'm cool with that.  Not everyone is looking to "pwn da n00bs".  I would much rather enjoy the quests and story line and with TSW I'm loving it so far.

shit gets old quick... specially the 2nd time through.... lol

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Iselin

As to the OP going to Fusang to do 3 quests and then leaving... why in the world would anyone do that? Power-level? There are much easier ways to get those APs without bothering with Fusang.

Sorry for the off-topic question, but what are those much easier ways? I get 225K XP literally in 5 minutes in Fusang + black marks for easy QL10 gear. Sure, there are a few quests that give out more xp/minute than that, but I can only repeat those once a day, while I can do the Fusang quests twice an hour. Have I missed something obvious? 

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

I actually rather enjoy the pvp.  I know i havent camped out in pvp like some people, just do it as i feel a need to, or just because iw ant to.

I like fusang more than the other battlegrounds, with stonehenge being fun and interesting, el dorado is...well just feels standard issue, not that its bad but it didnt catch me as super awesome or anything.

Oh and...yeah SWTOR had 3 battlegrounds, two were standard issue and boring as hell...ohg and their version of fusan (called ilum) did they ever get that working?  I mean they had to allow players to complete ilum pvp objectives in the battlegrounds it was so busted.

I dunno..pvpers seemed the most inclined to complain, since mmorpgs are not as fair and balanced in pvp as a fps ect.

Im just happy i have a solid pve game with 3 faction pvp and a persistant massive battle map to enjoy.  Shouldnt be hard to add a few more mini-game maps either and im sure more will come soon.

Imo TSW has pvp that is better than most games, but isnt the best by a long shot.

• XXXNemesis3XXXXNemesis3X Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by XXXNemesis3X

Yeah but which type? I personally am an e-sport (aka time-limitted scenario) hating PVP oriented person who enjoys persistent 24/7 zones. Done enough PvP scenarios to last me a lifetime...done with that particular type of FPS-cloned PvP.

I consider myself as a E-Sport too. World vs World is not something that really brough me toward Guild Wars 2. I decided to play this game because I am sure This game will have one of the Most Balanced PvP game like Guild Wars 1 Did. Also, The fact that Arena Net want to make this game an E-Sport is just something Else that motivate me into playing this game furthermore. Perhaps, I am more oriented into skills based game like Guild Wars is intended to be and from what I experience during the last beta weekend, I will have a lot of fun playing this game...On the other hand, Any true PvPer know that PvP gear griding game won't stop you from beating bad people fully equiped, but if you fight a good person fully equiped while your gear suck because you don't put as much time as the other person to invest in this game for gearing up is just something that piss me off. What's more frustrating than losing a fight when you were cleary dominating your openant from the beginning to the end because he was playing the favor of the patch class or using the favor of the patch unbalanced spells... On the other, I am not raging from that fact I lost a 1 vs 1 fight, because I know PvP isn't balanced around 1 vs 1 duel, but instead on group play, but PvP can't be fun if it isn't balanced.  PvP is all about Balance and it is something that I just didn't see for a long time and this game just don't have it too. In fact, it's PvE oriented and I feel like the PvP was only implented from funcom to bring something else to do when you are bored with the PvE content or if you want to do something else than fighting AI. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It must be tough to be ready to quit a game three weeks into a lifetime sub. That is why I will never buy one. I was alittle upset I wasted $50 on this game, but I probably got what I would get out of a single player $50 game, so no worries. At least once it goes f2p you shuold get a monthly stipend of funcom credits to dress up your characters with.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

if you bought this game to pvp you didnt do your research.  it's a pve game.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

It must be tough to be ready to quit a game three weeks into a lifetime sub. That is why I will never buy one. I was alittle upset I wasted $50 on this game, but I probably got what I would get out of a single player $50 game, so no worries. At least once it goes f2p you shuold get a monthly stipend of funcom credits to dress up your characters with.

True enough ....but it has a good story for a solo game

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

^^this
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Shmackpappy
    Originally posted by Mexorilla

^^this

[mod edit] it has pvp and has 3 factions fighting and they have bragged about fusang in articles before. So dont attempt to sound witty with this crap because it has pvp.

TSW is and will be a good game to most at first but in a month or two unless they totally reinvent their pvp and even some of their pve it will be free to play a lot sooner then later. There is fundamental flaws in their mechanics in both pve and pvp and funcom is not a company I would trust to fix this , you can look at AOC to this day and see and AO.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

Honestly, as a primarily PvE player, I hope they don't waste a lot of time developing the PvP.

But, I sympathise if that's what you look forward to in an MMORPG.