Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No open world PvP = Fail game

How can you make a game based on a post-apocalyptic world with ZERO open world pvp, it's so sad Funcom has no clue how to make games fun and immersive, another game down the drain for funcom...I just don't understand developers anymore, every game in the past few years has been terrible and dumbed down to please the carebears...Gameover for me

Please someone bring back FFA PvP!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's not a post apocalyptic world.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

I Agree.

But its hard to get something like that working in a story driven game like TSW.

WoW had it nicely done with separate outposts / quests for each faction. You can check HFpeninsula or someting in Outlands which is cut in half so you dont get interrupted all the time while questing. But for some quests you just have to take a peek on the other side ;)

And this is where the open world PVP fun starts.  It must not be forced. It must come naturally.

WoW open world feel and PVP is perfectly done.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

No doubt this thread will spawn many civil discussions.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by gasperk
    I Agree. But its hard to get something like that working in a story driven game like TSW.WoW had it nicely done with separate outposts / quests for each faction. You can check HFpeninsula or someting in Outlands which is cut in half so you dont get interrupted all the time while questing. But for some quests you just have to take a peek on the other side ;)And this is where the open world PVP fun starts.  It must not be forced. It must come naturally.WoW open world feel and PVP is perfectly done.

If you exclude areas where both factions ran around, I agree with you. When players from opposing factions traveled through each others' territory, it was interesting, and actually seemed relatively balanced. It was interesting and it was fun most of the time.

In areas where both factions ran around, it was really just a gank fest. It wasn't interesting and it wasn't fun. If you could put up a decent defense, the other players ran away. If you could kill other players, they whined about it. If you couldn't defend yourself at all, they camped you; running away wasn't an option.

Overall, I could personally live without open world pvp. I think GW2 has it down about as good as it can get with WvWvW. From what I've heard, TSW's PvP is lacking, but I don't think it's because there's no open world pvp. They need to run with their "Hollow Earth" idea that never made it into the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Evolution8

How can you make a game based on a post-apocalyptic world with ZERO open world pvp, it's so sad Funcom has no clue how to make games fun and immersive, another game down the drain for funcom...I just don't understand developers anymore, every game in the past few years has been terrible and dumbed down to please the carebears...Gameover for me

One little detail... TSW isn't post-apocalyptic... actually, if you go by story, it's actually pre-apocalyptic with the three factions having to set aside their difference (mostly, at least) in order to try to prevent the apparently inminent apocalypse from happening.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

You missed TERA then, FFA open world PVP there in spades, go check it out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Evo8, it's not even remotely post-apocalyptic. Why not try reading before posting?

Regardless, the reason for no open world PvP actually makes a lot of sense within the confines of the lore. In the TSW universe there used to be a ton of open war between the groups, so much so that it nearly destroyed the world. So the groups forged a group called the Council of Venice in order to act as moderators and allow when and where the groups could fight.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Keep forgetting open world pvp is what makes games successful....or wait, aren't open world pvp games pretty unsuccessful?? Even games that add open world pvp servers find those servers empty first. How long have you been playing MMO's to not notice this? Open world pvp deters most players. I played UO and Shadowbane forever , always lower populations, regardless how good I thought the games were.

Fail game? Dramatic much?

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Entris38

Keep forgetting open world pvp is what makes games successful....or wait, aren't open world pvp games pretty unsuccessful?? Even games that add open world pvp servers find those servers empty first. How long have you been playing MMO's to not notice this? Open world pvp deters most players. I played UO and Shadowbane forever , always lower populations, regardless how good I thought the games were.

Fail game? Dramatic much?

The reason i avoid open PVP games is because of the griefers. There is nothing fun about a player hiding while your fighting a mob then when you get to 40% hp he/she jumps out and kills you off keeping you from finishing your mob. Griefer = online bullies basically.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Fail?  Perhaps for you.  I'm not sure why the world as developed (not post-apocalyptic anyway) has any bearing on whether it should have open world PvP.  You like PvP obviously so find a game with it.  Funcom has made it clear from early on that there wouldn't be any open world PvP.  I for one am enjoying the game and how well it is story driven.  They did a heck of a job with the quests, cut scenes, and voice acting.  There is a lot of difficulty just not the kind you are looking for.

• teethteeth Member Posts: 67

Fail thread. Someone lock it, already.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

You are looking for open world pvp in a pve game ? This game is about the story not proving yourself in combat

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

I think it's obvious the OP didn't even play the game, just came on to hate based on what he read. The game is not fail but nice try. Pointless thread.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Yes, because it's incredibly, 'fun and immersive', to be killed and corpse camped by some d*ckbag who is higher level / has more skills / has better gear than you.

Oh wait, NO IT BLOODY ISN'T.

There are plenty of FFA games out there for people such as yourself. Go play them, TSW is primarily about the PvE and has been since day one.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Yeah, I totally thought this game was going to be the illicit love child of Everquest and Mortal Online.

EQ meets MO and makes Ever-Mortal Online

pffffft, what was Funcom thinking?!

/end sarcasm

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PantomimePantomime Member UncommonPosts: 13

Open world pvp = serial killer simulator. People who clammer for it are the ones that generally enjoy the griefing. Your not going to find most people happy to loose an unexpected lop sided battle (who ganks some one more powerful than themselves any way?) 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Pantomime

Open world pvp = serial killer simulator. People who clammer for it are the ones that generally enjoy the griefing. Your not going to find most people happy to loose an unexpected lop sided battle (who ganks some one more powerful than themselves any way?) 

Made me smile this morning. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Something is brewing at least:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/vhhwg/i_am_ragnar_t%C3%B8rnquist_senior_producer_and/c54jdo9

Asked about open world pvp and reply was:

We'll definitely look into it -- I know a lot of guys on the team want to do more with factional control over the world, and there are some story bits coming up that would...justify it.
    BUT I SAY TOO MUCH.
    We're definitely going to discuss it, although you shouldn't expect to be able to take control over -- and have all out warfare in -- the current PvE adventure zones. At least not the way they are right now. Perhaps when--
    NO. SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Darkfall?

Mortal Online?

EVE? 

They all have FFA PVP.  Go play there. 

I'm not saying that TSW shouldn't  have some pvp zones. It's just that's not what this game is about. I'm not saying the game can't be improved, especially the pvp. It's new. changes will be made. Stuff will be added. If you don't like the basic game now, then probably no changes Funcom makes will make you happy, so move on then. There are games that have what you say you're looking for. 

In fact, I play both Darkfall and TSW. I get different things I like from both. 

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Yes, because it's incredibly, 'fun and immersive', to be killed and corpse camped by some d*ckbag who is higher level / has more skills / has better gear than you.

Oh wait, NO IT BLOODY ISN'T.

There are plenty of FFA games out there for people such as yourself. Go play them, TSW is primarily about the PvE and has been since day one.

I agree with you here. And also about the other ganking/serial murder comment(s). There are games where you are free to be a griefer. Go play those, OP. I do -- even though I'm not a griefer; I'm fine there because I know the rules.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Errrr well it does not have a post-apocalyptic world... its a real world setting for there abouts.

It was never suppose to have open world PVP. IT does ahve a persistant PVP zone that is pretty good fun your your on a decent server with a balanced population.

Its probally the best themepark game on the market at the moment.. I would not really call TSW dumbed down its was never designed to be a hard core open world PVP game..

IF you want hardcore PVP with FFA loot and so on i would say play Darkfall or Mortal online both are awesome games and thats where i go if im in the mood for proper PVP :)

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

TSW has the perfect PvP/PvE balance.

When you are fighting the "environment" every faction is working together against a common enemy (like it should be).

When you are fighting "players" every faction is against each other.

RvR Zones = Open World PvP

Mixing these together is a relic that shouldn't deserve to exist.

"FFA" is everything that's wrong in the society nowdays.

The OP is asking for PK not PvP.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No it doesn't its to far in the pve camp.

I don't think it should have framerate servers

But they need to fix fusang so its for pvpers not pveers. The game needs a pvp engame, and a rvr style setup would work better than a pvp server setup.

It's a great innovative game while leveling, but once that's over they have the lame old wow/eq setup ;(