Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Item Shop - Sunglasses/Boxing Gloves etc. out of place?

13»

Comments

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I'm sure there'll be all sorts of both silly and serious appearance items available if not at release, then before long.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Guild Wars 2 is another Fantasy MMORPG that isn't really taking its own theme very seriously. Warcraft being the king of this kind of behavior.

Expect it to only get more goofy and more ridiculous.

In 2010 EA Sports put out NHL 10 and with it released Purchaseable hockey equipment that was covered in random bullcrap like Tiger Stripes, Tribal Symbols, Camo or Punk graffiti, that kind of stuff.  The worst part was that the game also forced you to use and wear it or your skater would take a Stat-hit negatively during play.

It was such an absurd thing to deal with that entire year of online play that in NHL 11 that equipment was thankfully removed.

• Erm hold on.

Are you seriously trying to say the asura can permanently levitate huge cubes of stones weighing tons and tons, construct entire cities out of forcefields that look like slowly flowing glass but they can't make a simple pair of sunglasses?

You know what?  Your bad premise breaks my immersion.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    Guild Wars 2 is another Fantasy MMORPG that isn't really taking its own theme very seriously. Warcraft being the king of this kind of behavior.Expect it to only get more goofy and more ridiculous.In 2010 EA Sports put out NHL 10 and with it released Purchaseable hockey equipment that was covered in random bullcrap like Tiger Stripes, Tribal Symbols, Camo or Punk graffiti, that kind of stuff.  The worst part was that the game also forced you to use and wear it or your skater would take a Stat-hit negatively during play.It was such an absurd thing to deal with that entire year of online play that in NHL 11 that equipment was thankfully removed.

I have to agree with this observation- it aggravated me to no end when WoW threw lore out the window and moved from easter eggs of pop culture to heavy references forced at every angle but Anet from the get go is making this game campy and fun rather than immersive. If you can accept that that's how they're making the game and go into it with that expectation then it's really fun but if you're looking for a serious, gritty, and realistic fantasy RPG experience then you're going to be very disappointed.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Who cares? They are basically for shits and giggles. Besides, they are town clothes and cannot be worn in combat, so chances are you won't run into very many people with them. Even if you do, just move on. It's not a gamebreaking issue nor is it an immersion breaking issue since GW2 is not a strict fantasy game anyway.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Lokomotiv

No stupid stuff please...

+1

sunglasses in gw2 world? lol... boxing glves wtf?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

It's all fun! Bring it on!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

To each his own imo.    I'm sure you won't see many people role playing with the aviators on but  if some one wants a pair I don't really see the harm.  It's all in good fun.  I doubt you'd see many boxing gloves or aviators on Tarnished Coast (RP server) anyhow.  There will be other items though I'm sure to comiclly RP with such as the Chef and Pirate outfits.

I love how when you put on certian items you get special abilities that serve now other purpose than for fun.  I can't wait to see what else they'd add to the game. Maybe a bartender outfit that could put out kegs an place pints etc. 

I bought the chef's outfit and pirate outfit in beta and had some fun with random people in town just messing around.  One engineer kept acting like he was lighting my pirate on fire and so I ran around screaming and then did the "Short dive" abiltiy that makes your toon faceplant into a puddle of water.  

Also said engineer proceeded to light my roasting pig on fire when I put on the chef's outfit.  I used the "kitchen fire" ability that made me roll around and it looked like I was on fire.  It really confused people walking by since it really looked like the engi killed me lol.

Chef on fire!

The roasting pig is on the right >>

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah I think it is tacky to have aviator sunglasses. Boxing gloves could work, assuming that boxing exists in the world.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

I'm hoping that the mentioned costume items, as well as the silly "Hunger" event were just places where the developers were simply messing around for the last beta test. The world that has been created for this game is too rich to have it littered with clownish costume items. We already have World of Warcraft for that.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

I think the items would detract from the immersion in GW2. WoW on the other hand lost it's aherance to lore along time ago so it would fit in better there.

If they offered cool items in-line with the sytle of the game i'd be more interested then but as-is I won't touch them. The crafting boosters are most likely the things I would purchase if the crafting skill-up curve slows down substiantially toward end game.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

All I saw in the shop (cosmetic wise) was a bunch of non-combat crap. The vast majority of it is out of place and I will not buy it. I have no problem with other people spending cash on it.

I would be much more interested in cosmetic armor/weapons that I can utilize in combat. Items that fit the normal theme of the game. 

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

I think people forget that this is first and foremost a GAME. It's not meant to be taken seriously as if your entirely life depends on it. Remember the multiple blog posts where Anet stated their number one design goal: fun? For some people, having some cool looking shades will be fun. For others, it won't be. That's the beauty of free choice, you don't have to buy them! Heck, rangers have some pets that are amphibious (can go on both land and water), but it makes no sense.

Also remember this is a FANTASY world. Since when do the rules of Fantasy state that we can't have awesome aviator shades? The only rule of fantasy is that there are no rules. When it comes to immersion, I just don't get some people. Some sunglasses ruin your immersion but throwing fireballs in a freaking dress doesn't? 

Also, most games do include pop culture references. GW1 is notorious for it. Heck, polymock is obviously a reference to pokemon. But they include references to many TV shows, bands, songs, etc. In BWE 2, Crippling Shot had the description of: "Shatter your foe's dreams of becoming an adventurer with a single arrow to the knee". These aren't meant to be taken seriously. They are meant to be more of "haha! I see what you did there" moments. 

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Aren't these types of items "town clothes" also?  As in you won't see people next to you fighting in events wearing boxing gloves etc

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Things like boxing gloves, teddy bear heads and silly stuff is definitely not my thing. It's the main reason I hate Aion's cash shop! I was hoping for more lore inspired attire like ninja and samurai outfits or a pirate getup...now how they interpret those with their artist would be sweet.

If the cash shop is anything like Aion's, you guys are screwed!   

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

The stupid stuff is not real important to me but I would rather have 1/2 as much but all lore-appropriate fluff.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Tyria isn't a medieval world. There are no leeches, cupping, skull drilling or otherwise. There are airships, teleporters, tanks, guns... Think more Bas Lag than 1066.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.