Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 will not be finished by launch.

MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Many of us have discussed the features or lack thereof in GW2. I personally think that GW2 is releasing unfinished but for good reason. The game is close to being complete and I think that most players share a feeling niggling them about why GW2 isn't quite the second coming. I may have figured out why.

ANet have stated that they are launching a service. That work does not end at launch. Launch is when the whole thing starts.

Using GW1 as an example I can tell you that the GW1 you see today was almost completely different than what it was at launch. Even WoW can boast that they have improved or steamlined various systems in there. The difference between what games were at launch and what they are now is an interesting thing to think about.

What I feel from GW2 is that they have built an extremely solid but easily manipulated foundation for an MMO. I think they've built the game and the code around providing future updates and aren't afraid to do crazy thing just to see if it works.

I simply cannot wait for the improvements GW2 will be able to provide to players over time. Item preview, vistas, linked crafting tables to banks - less than a month.

What other MMOs can boast such quick implementation of new features?

Launch will be exciting but the future is what really excites me about gw2.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Number 1 response to OP is....

"what mmo is launched finished?"

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66

Considering a lot of games have released unfinished the past few years, I seriously doubt people will have an issue with this. While it may release without everything, it still has a hell of a lot more to offer than a lot of stuff the market has put out.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by vmoped

Cheers!

It's just hard to see through the excitement sometimes. I can honestly say that even though I am a big fan of GW2 I am really quite sad that it lacks Guild Halls. Others will say that 'This is all gw2 has! OMG SUX' without thinking about how this game might be in the future.

When I played WOTLK I really didn't think I would see flying in the old continent anytime soon. Then Cata blew my mind.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I felt the game was launch worthy the second bwe or atleast what we were shown. Think the game has been finished and has just been getting fine tuned and polished for release based of the user feedback. Unless they have an epic server snafu or something like that I can't see how the launch can go bad based of my beta experience. 

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by vmoped

Cheers!

Exactly and why is it that this pre launch Beta practically melts my hardrive like a slab of warm butter dribbling over a baked potato if this is pre launch,then good God 1 year from now it will be like an oil slick !!

But  I am of the Dark and Light,Aerrevan,Irth Worlds,Alganon,Fallen Earth,Craft of Gods and many more Alpha/Beta's that even at launch where as fun to play as haveing my teeth pulled with rusty pliers,maybe i'm just of the older Mo Gamer who is just happy they do not need to check IRC to check if a community member has patched the game launcher exe.as the devs are to bloody stupid to programme their own game persuasion,DnL anyone ? image

p>
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

OP may have a point. Though by the time I'm done with completing the noobmaps they will have probably included the "missing" content.

The only real reason I could come up with for a release at a later time, would be the christmas business.

Harbinger of Fools
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Actually it is finished. I can't link this because the forums is closed, but Jon peters confirmed that now they are just 100% focused on bug fixes and class balances thats it. Nothing more to the game needs to be added or removed or redesigned.

• Define finished and tell me how you test/measure such a thing.

No, I am very serious if you can do that you will make millions of dollars in software development consulting.  You will be the new "Agile", man.

Originally posted by xalvi

Actually it is finished. I can't link this because the forums is closed, but Jon peters confirmed that now they are just 100% focused on bug fixes and class balances thats it. Nothing more to the game needs to be added or removed or redesigned.

All the CORE systems are in place. However the team are still looking to implement features post launch. Right now though they are satisfied that everything awesome is working and the really fine polish can come after.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

What exactly is missing or unfinished?

Originally posted by gestalt11

Define finished and tell me how you test/measure such a thing.

No, I am very serious if you can do that you will make millions of dollars in software development consulting.  You will be the new "Agile", man.

Lol. Whats that saying again? No software ever goes out 100% complete?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

I think he just made a provocative title to get responses, but is really just saying that he can't wait to see what they add next.

• InEccessInEccess Member UncommonPosts: 111

Golly, I hope the game isn't finished at release. I really look forward to future patches, rather than boxed expansions like the first one had.

Originally posted by OldManFunk

PvP spectator, guild halls (maybe), WvW ranking

Smaller things that need not be in launch.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

I guess I'm not entirely certain where you are coming from - Myself having played just about every single AAA mmo and numerous AA and A MMO's since Ultima Online I can say a few certainties:

GW2 is as smooth a product as I have played, especially considering its features.

Class balance, class polishing and exploit fixing is a constant in all MMOs, it's a mean to no ends, it's part of the mmo experience - if your expecting a flawless MMO it will never, ever, happen..

MMOs are never really 'finished' not if they want to stay competitive, they must constantly add, adjust, balance, rinse and repeat.

GW2 has been in development a long time, being a customer you have to realize sooner or later the investors at the top will force this thing out regardless of the state its in.  

• Originally posted by Magnetia

Those aren't bugs ...  they are features!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Magnetia

The problem is when they "fix" the features because they were bugs and weren't working as intended...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Beoelf21Beoelf21 Member Posts: 91

Its never a good idea when your looking forward to game changes and updates b4 the game even launches.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Isn't that the main feature of an MMORPG that separates the style from normal games? The fact that it's constantly unfinished?

Now I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't played Guild Wars 2 yet, but from a conceptual point of view an MMORPG should never be finished. It should be worked out either with free updates or paid content expansions.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    I would pay good money just to play to lvl 20
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Give me back my SIT JUMPING.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    I would pay good money just to play to lvl 20

LoL - I agree.  Call me sad or whatever, I work long crappy days at a job I really can't stand.  I would pay extra to come home and be able to play GW2 right now =P  especially with the extreme heat we've been having here in the midwest making summer really blow in general.

• jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Isn't that the main feature of an MMORPG that separates the style from normal games? The fact that it's constantly unfinished?

Now I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't played Guild Wars 2 yet, but from a conceptual point of view an MMORPG should never be finished. It should be worked out either with free updates or paid content expansions.

exactly

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

I thought it was just another thread complaining that the game wasn't ready yet. Glad that it's not!

I agree with what you've said, and I can't wait to go on that journey that will start on august 25th (28th for the uncool people).

• indrctindrct Member UncommonPosts: 86

Name 3 things that aren't finished.