Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Debuts Prototype Gamplay Video

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Cliffhanger Productions, the folks behind Kickstarter project Shadowrun Online, a hopeful cross-platform MMO (PC/Mac/Mobile) based on the eponymous cyberpunk pen-and-paper IP, has released a pair of new videos for the project today.

The first video offers backers and potential backers an update on the project but it's the second video that's going to be of interest to most of you as it offers a glimpse at prototype gameplay footage.

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Not quite sure what to think of it...

Smile

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Whoa!  Not what I was expecting. No donation for you.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Razeekster

Not quite sure what to think of it...

Same here...

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I have reviewed the new, updated Kickstarter info.... and I am now curious as to how this game will do. They are supporting dual, independant business models. This will really be interesting to see.

Model 1: F2P with Item Mall and/or Monthly Sub (F2P Servers)

Model 2: B2P with Item Mall items sold for in game currency (B2P Servers)

Customers will be able to choose which server set to play on.. so it will be interesting to see what is chosen. Will players choose to pay up front (B2P) or choose to pay as they go (Monthly Sub/Item Mall).

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I loved the Sega Genesis gme Shadowrun which was also based on the pen and paper game.   Hope this game turns out to be fun!

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

I don't think this is enuff to dismiss it outright.  It looks like it could have potential as being different then your standard themepark mmo. I'll wait to see and hear more.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Seriously?  Ya'll do not like this?  It is like the SNES Shadowrun AND Fallout Tactics.  This is full of win.

And no,  not being sarcastic.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by WolfClaws

Seriously?  Ya'll do not like this?  It is like the SNES Shadowrun AND Fallout Tactics.  This is full of win.

Agreed!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Originally posted by MikeB

Agreed!

Bump. Exactly what I wanted them to do. Money well donated imo.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Shadowrun.  :3

Posted from my Iphone.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I love the ShadowRun setting, but this type of gameplay doesn't really impress me at first glance. We're all spoiled by shiny graphics I guess. However, if they can make the runs interesting, then maybe it's worth keeping an eye on.

imageimage
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Mike and I agree on something 100% ?  Zombie Apocolype inc!   :D

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by spookydom
    Originally posted by MikeB

Agreed!

Bump. Exactly what I wanted them to do. Money well donated imo.

Amen. They are making a game for SR folks, not the masses. That makes this game full of win.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

Seeing people mention fallout tactics makes me sad because i know the only fallout ill ever see again is the FPS version which doesn't feel like fallout at all. =(

• ComputerJuiceComputerJuice Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Athisio

Seeing people mention fallout tactics makes me sad because i know the only fallout ill ever see again is the FPS version which doesn't feel like fallout at all. =(

Well, youre in luck because the game that was the precursor to Fallout, a game called Wasteland,  is currently in development:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

• KaezKaez Member Posts: 80
    I like it because it reminds me of classic Fallout :)
  • tumtum42tumtum42 Member Posts: 22

they dont seem to need money it seems more like they're just hoping to get extra free cash

• spiritglowspiritglow Member Posts: 171

I luved the shadowrun books! Luved the Genesis and SNES games!

While I prefer 1st person, over head or over shoulder view playstyle I came to enjoy the isometric view of the console versions.

They will get my money!

Bring it on!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312

People liked Path of Exile, i'm sure this will have it's place. I'll be sure to watch for it.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Looks like a tactical squad based game, though without a squad perhaps?
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The SNES shadowrun game was bloody amazing.. i must have played through it about 20 times.. Probally one of my all time favourite games..

As for this it does look quite good.. IF you want to get a taste of what its gonna play like then give Jagged Alliance Online a go as they did that as well.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    What Spooky, MikeB & Khal all said. This looks refreshing with the right emphasis on GAMEPLAY.

Sent from my iDevice
  • cliff_mihlcliff_mihl Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Gorilla

The missions are all laid out for co-op (so multiple characters), but you can also hire some runners (you can control) in order to play alone. So yes, it's squad-based so to say.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by cliff_mihl
    Originally posted by Gorilla

The missions are all laid out for co-op (so multiple characters), but you can also hire some runners (you can control) in order to play alone. So yes, it's squad-based so to say.

This is explained in the update vid before the alpha footage one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online/posts

• patient32patient32 Member UncommonPosts: 96

I am sick and tired of these developers making a game that would be great as a singleplayer (or even a 2-4 player coop) game but they decide to turn it into an "online mmo" type thing. It's just greed.

"Why would we make a game that people give is their money once for?.... We can charge them a monthly fee or a pay to win cash shop and get lots more money".

..... The reason...... MMOs are watered down as hell because it's not very viable to have an evolving changing world where later players won't get to experience it.

As a singleplayer/coop game..... This would have been awesome. As an online mmo. It looks total crap!

"It's like a finger pointing away to the moon... Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all the heavenly glory" (Bruce Lee)

(Insert your favourite mmo here): ......And behold, a pale horse.... And a million hellishly bad mmos followed with it.