Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alright let's do this - Sales predictions after two months

Comments

• 1-2 million.

• Originally posted by Justsomenoob

5 million.

Think of all the disappointed Diablo 3 players that are going to break down and buy this game, even the ones that bash it and haven't even played it yet.

Actually I think a lot of Diablo 3 players will be looking more at games in the same genre, such as Torchlight 2, Path of Exile or Grim Dawn. (Guessing TL2 will have the biggest success of these three, since it'll actually be a good game rather than a suckfest.)

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

Over 9000!

I think I'll go kill myself now.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

Yeah it will sell well initially, but as the person above said...

People like progression.  They want to advance days, weeks and months after hitting level cap.   Cosmetic advancement isn't that much of an incentive for many people.   My friend, when I introduced him to the game, has gotten very hyped-up about it, but just gave me a confused look when I said there was 'no gear progression' after a point.

Not many people like a gear grind.  But I still want to advance my character and get more powerful after launch.  

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I would say under 2.5 million, simply because it does'nt have the words 'Guildcraft or Guild Wars the Old Republic' in the title of the game image

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

i am going to come out and say this

0 subs by launch, 0 subs by 2 month mark and 0 subs by 2085

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

to b

Originally posted by Axxar
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

5 million.

Think of all the disappointed Diablo 3 players that are going to break down and buy this game, even the ones that bash it and haven't even played it yet.

Actually I think a lot of Diablo 3 players will be looking more at games in the same genre, such as Torchlight 2, Path of Exile or Grim Dawn. (Guessing TL2 will have the biggest success of these three, since it'll actually be a good game rather than a suckfest.)

This is certainly true.   I don't expect them to ALL go to GW2 or anything like that.   However there's certainly plenty of overlap between MMO players and action RPG players.    In fact I am one of them here now, as I played D3 and was disappointed...and now have bought GW2.

There's also a fair bit of discussion on their forums from people looking forward to this game (not as much as PoE and TL2, but a good amount).   Or at least there was back when I read it.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

I think Guild Wars 2 might be a great pull for anyone that invested in Diablo III. At this point players will be getting fairly tired and looking for another option. Diablo III is probably the closest true competitor given box price, payment model and actual system requirements.

Realistically, I think Guild Wars 2 has the potential to break 5 million in EU and NA, in actuality it will probably closer to 3 million.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

2 mil

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

2 mil maybe 2.2 mil tops

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

slams down juice box.

LETS DO THIS.

500k to 1.5k

Ease up on the juice buddy. . . I think your second 'k' was meant to be an 'm'?    Maybe your keyboard i slick from the juice.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by Axxar

This is certainly true.   I don't expect them to ALL go to GW2 or anything like that.   However there's certainly plenty of overlap between MMO players and action RPG players.    In fact I am one of them here now, as I played D3 and was disappointed...and now have bought GW2.

out of the games mentioned, only Torchlight 2 is hoping to release before 09/25 (end of summer)

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/19/torchlight-2-devs-still-planning-summer-launch/

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Ah, I love these "pulling-numbers-out-of-your-behind" kinda threads. image

So I'll say 3.7 million in two months.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802

I'm going to vote 1.2-2 million copies sold.  However if it suddenly becomes a wild success in the way of Minecraft or something along those lines I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 2.5-3 million sales.

I like to complain about games.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

Yeah it will sell well initially, but as the person above said...

People like progression.  They want to advance days, weeks and months after hitting level cap.   Cosmetic advancement isn't that much of an incentive for many people.   My friend, when I introduced him to the game, has gotten very hyped-up about it, but just gave me a confused look when I said there was 'no gear progression' after a point.

Not many people like a gear grind.  But I still want to advance my character and get more powerful after launch.  

You say this, yet 7 million people bought GW1 to date and the market has grown probably 10x the amount of players that were around since GW1 came out. GW1 had less progression incentive then GW2 has, and GW1 only had minor support for content beyond the expansions. This game will be supported as much as a sub game AND have expansions just as often as the original game had. 

This game has no sub and offers the same amount of content if not more then most sub based MMOs. ALL sub based MMOs have very minimal content but just make it last longer with huge grinds. With GW2 ArenaNet is actually putting out content, not artificial content gates with item progression. You may like item progression, which means this game is probably not for you. But let's be realistic here. Probably 10-20% of people actually raid in games with raiding, (WoW included) alot of the players playing MMOs never even hit max level, and of the people who do raid most of them don't raid on the cutting edge. You think those people care about item progression? You can pretty much max out on gear pre-raiding in every MMO with raiding within a few weeks of casual dungeon runs. This is the reason that sub based MMOs have such a high turn over rate. These guys want to see the content and be done with it, they don't care about grinding for items. If the content is compelling enough people will enjoy it, but because GW2 is not sub based...ArenaNet does not need to force people to keep playing. 

Millions of people buy games without progression. Our genre, hell the RPG genre, has been saturated by gear grinds. The reason that the RPG genre never really got as big as something like the FPS genre is because of stuff like this. People like to be able to hop in and enjoy the game which should have enough replay value just because it is fun -- not because it requires you to play it to continue having fun. (ie, grind for gear) At this point I would say hell yeah, get outta here if you want a gear grind. Sorry that 99% of gamers have lives and cannot dedicate hours and hours to simply grinding the same dungeons for a 10 strength upgrade. This is the modern world now and the way developers are going to make money. They need to cater to a larger audience, and that is the direction MMOS are heading. No, it does not support a sub model, either.

• minttunatorminttunator Member UncommonPosts: 131

My guess is around 2.5M. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

2,457,658 +/- 2m

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Originally posted by azmundai

less than 9 billion

You win ! 

• Lion.CrossLion.Cross Member Posts: 13

2.8 million

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

3,748,216  ~ish

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by Smitt3k

The first Guild Wars has sold around 7 million copies. I think that eventually GW2 will beat that. Im gonna go with 3 million in first month.

Thats not a fair number. GW1 with all expansions has sold 7 millions copies. Not the first game only. So probably around 3-4million uniqe players? Or maybe less. 

But GW2 tends to a much bigger audience so it will go high, the higher it goes, the better it will become in the future. So lets hope 10 million buys it in the first year. 

• Current average of predictions:

2.91M +/- 1.04M

Current median:

2.9M

Any range of values was converted to the average of the range.  All numbers were used except for dragon ball Z references. 58 total predictions.

This puts my predication within the first standard deviation, making me reasonable but optimistic :)

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    3-4 mill, but way more in a few years
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I fully expect GW2 to be the first MMO in a long time that GROWS months after its release.  How long it will take that snowball to get rolling, I'm not sure.  I expect well over 1 million sales within the first week, but it might take more than 2 months for that number to double.  By Christmas, however, I expect it will have doubled and we could be looking at over 3 million. 

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1.1 million pre-orders

1.2 million by 08/31  (remembering it releases 08/28)

1.8 million by 09/30

2.2 million by 10/31

That's less than SWTOR are equivalent times, btw. except pre-orders which, from what I've heard, as more the than SWTOR's.   So, I'm saying more up front, but not so steep in the first couple of months after.  

But I'm being pretty conservative in my estimates.   All things considered, I look at them more as a reasonable floor than upside.   I wouldn't be so crazy as to go 4 million, that'd be off-the-charts.   But 3 million could happen...   I wouldn't mock anyone for 3-million in sales projections...

SWTOR would have made 3 million in two months it if hadn't been such an utterly disappointing game.    Once we got past the initial hype wave, the negative publicity was almost over-whelming.