Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop all this F2P madness...

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Disdena
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    It is common knowledge that most mmo players don't pay and few whales are subsidizing everyone else. I am more than happy if someone else is willing to pay for my gaming. There are enough fun f2p games that i doubt i will ever sub for a new mmo. F2p is the trend and the way to go.

Not common enough, apparently, if someone can recite the same old "you'll end up paying way more in F2P than in a sub game!" and incite 8 pages of ranting.

I guess some are just too in ept to do a proper web search .... or willingly disregard established facts.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I am a cash shop whore.....

I am the target demographic for F2P.

I give myself a monthly gaming budget and I buy crap.

I also subscribe to (One) MMO on a monthly basis.

I am apparently keeping the entire MMO world afloat with my 25.00 a month. (total)

Wow, that's alot of responsibility, I'm stressed, I think I'll go buy some vanity armour for my Berserker.

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

The problem with the 'whale' model is that it doesn't work.

To play AOC, LOTRO or Champions without a sub/spending significant money in the cash shop doesn't work.  Your game is less fun.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

To play AOC, LOTRO or Champions without a sub/spending significant money in the cash shop doesn't work.  Your game is less fun.

And yet tens/hundreds of thousands of people are doing just that.

The fun is individual.  What you mean is that the game is less fun for you.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Sunscour

I am apparently keeping the entire MMO world afloat with my 25.00 a month. (total)

Wow, that's alot of responsibility, I'm stressed, I think I'll go buy some vanity armour for my Berserker.

Oh no, you can't do that! That would ruin the whole genre! You're the devil!

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by zipzap
    Originally posted by metatronic

For those who can't read.. Don't support free to play, because nothing is free and you will pay more in the long run. You new era of gamers are single handidly destroying mmo's.. Any old school mmo'ers I know for fact would never support this crap.

Btw, I have a great job and could more than afford to pay to win at any game... the point is, whats the point of playing then?

hopefully cashshop wont lead to pay2win... and NO NOT ALL GAMES WITH CASHSHOPS ARE PAY2WIN

True, but they are all at the very least pay2overcomearbitraryinconveniences.

<3

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by dreamscaper
    Originally posted by zipzap

For those who can't read.. Don't support free to play, because nothing is free and you will pay more in the long run. You new era of gamers are single handidly destroying mmo's.. Any old school mmo'ers I know for fact would never support this crap.

Btw, I have a great job and could more than afford to pay to win at any game... the point is, whats the point of playing then?

hopefully cashshop wont lead to pay2win... and NO NOT ALL GAMES WITH CASHSHOPS ARE PAY2WIN

True, but they are all at the very least pay2overcomearbitraryinconveniences.

Only if you define arbitrary inconvenience as something (whatever that something is) thats in the cs that you are willing to pay for.  Many are just cosmetic.

Now seeing as how the definitiation of arbritary is... well aribritrary haha you very well could define that.

I however don't.  And therefore I don't agree that they are all at least pay2overcomearbitraryinconveniences.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

What do you mean it does not work? It is already working.

"Less fun"? Sure but you are playing it for free ... so that is a good value.

Originally posted by Sunscour

you really pay for F2P games?

Personally, i play them for free ... free fun with no commitment is the way to go.

F2P means developers MAKE GAMES MORE BORING so you PAY to skip the boring things.

No. It means fun for free. If it is not fun, you don't have to play a single second. Personally i find lots of f2p games fun .. SD gundam, DCUO, DDO ....

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

F2P means developers MAKE GAMES MORE BORING so you PAY to skip the boring things.

No. It means fun for free. If it is not fun, you don't have to play a single second. Personally i find lots of f2p games fun .. SD gundam, DCUO, DDO ....

I can live with cash shops in F2P that offer adventure packs like in DDO or flluff itmes.

What I can't live with is playing the game and after much effort finally get that item I want then seeing Little Bobby telling his Little friend how his dad bought him this Awesome Sword of a Thousand Truths that is better than the one that guy has (he points at me...)

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I will stop playing f2p model games as soon as companies give me a reason to play p2p games again.

Originally posted by Psychow

I can live with cash shops in F2P that offer adventure packs like in DDO or flluff itmes.

What I can't live with is playing the game and after much effort finally get that item I want then seeing Little Bobby telling his Little friend how his dad bought him this Awesome Sword of a Thousand Truths that is better than the one that guy has (he points at me...)

Does it make a difference if bobby earn the cash himself? You know, MOST gamers are adults.

I think therei s something wrong that people think playing a game to get a sword is "much effort", and care if other does that "much effort" or not. Personally, combat is fun in a game. Otherwise, i won't be playing it.

But i suppose each of us have our preferences. Personally, a free fun game is a drop from heaven. I like where MMOs are going.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

I will stop playing f2p model games as soon as companies give me a reason to play p2p games again.

And i will stop playing p2p games once my annual pass at WOW is up.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

F2P is the future, because gamers will not accept an increase in monthly subs ever.

So the only way for developers to stay ahead of rising costs is to implement cash shops, and then design their games in such a way that it gives players "incentives" to spend money in the CS. A good F2P design does not REQUIRE you to spend money in the CS, but it makes it very tempting.

It's pure psychology. Many people feel that if they've not played a full month (whatever that means) in a subscription based game, they've "wasted" all or part of their $15 sub. But they'll happily spend $5 on a clothing item, $5 on XP potions and $5 on extra bank slots in a F2P game, AND feel they got value for their money, whether they played much in that month or not.

A monthly sub "forces" you to pay, but a F2P game allows you the "choice" to spend money. In a well-designed F2P game, you supposedly pay for "convenience" only. A well-designed F2P game will subtly build-in all kinds of little inconveniences to "encourage" you to spend money in the CS.

F2P is a myth, of course, and just a clever marketing trick that exploits human psychology by manipulating perceptions. No company on earth can develop, advertise and run an MMO for "free", because their employees don't work for free and the owners (or shareholders) expect a healthy profit.

An excellent response, given the state of today's game industry and game development gearing more and more toward "people on the go".

Honestly, I'd rather find a game worthy of a subscription fee for the kind of time I invest in my gaming, but I can understand why some people with a shorter attention span and a more disposable attitude would lean more toward trail-based "free to play" models.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

And i will stop playing p2p games once my annual pass at WOW is up.

I take it your not going to touch the new expansion? I was going to sub and check it out tbh. I think aside from that maybe GW2 as a B2P only if time opens up.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

You people need to realise where all this F2P crap is heading... Its heading to a point where it will make the original point of playing games, for the sake of progressing a character in virtual world, never ever matter again if we support these companies churning out this type of pay model.

I beg you all to think long and hard about how badly the furture of mmo's and gaming in general will be if we end up with a system like xbox uses and you pay for content packs and such... This is a disaster waiting to happen and I urge every single one of you gamers to boy cott any game coming out using the f2p model. You will end up paying more per year to pay to play these games than you ever would just by paying 15/bucks a month... Think about that for a second... That is roughly .50 secnts a day... Are you going to tell me you can't afford to scrounge up .50 cents a day to play a game for hours on end?

I realise Gw2 is coming out and everyone is saying "oh well, Ill just buy the box and never use the cash shop"... That might be the case where you end up grinding gold and trading for gems or cash shop currency but they will make it so you will be grinding insane amounts of time into these games. farming gold to trade for gems.. Trust me, games will not be games anymore.

Most of us play games to acquire loot and play through game content to attain the best gear and viritual characters we can with our time... This newly refined pay model will take all the fun out of games, when I can just buy my progress... How pathetic.. paying for progression in a game. Why bother playing? Maybe I'm getting too old (33) and its the new era of stupid taking over. I just don't get how anyone can not see where this will end up for us, the end users of the games..

I don't know what else to say, and Im certain there is more articulate gamers out there who feel the same way and who also have the foresight to see 5 years down the road when everything is free to play but pay to win...  I'm not supporting guildwars 2 not because of the pay model, but simply because the game is utterly boring. The pay model sealed the deal though as I would have normally bought the box and played for 30 days to see where the game ended up taking me.. but the pay model of pay to win left a sour taste in my mouth. And you can bet your bottom dollar, they will continually add things into that cash shop to milk the end users and after a few months you will be hooked and develop an emotional tie to your guilds and friends, and "oh so and so bought that content pack maybe I should too or I won't be able to play with them.."

I'm telling you guys right now, this will not end well for gamers.... Don't support this garbage.. play the game all you want but don't spend a dime in those shops..

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's the MMO apocalypse!!!!  This is what the Mayans predicted!!!

• everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

Of course people will spend more money, that's the point. You think company changes strategy to make you happy? Hell no, it is for profit. If you have p2p game a 15$ a month is all you can expect from a player, if you have f2p game with premium shop, you just sit back and enjoy watching a guy that wastes 2000$ on lottery boxes to get a 400px x 400px graphic of wings on his character.

I work at  a company like that, I have bigger paycheck and I can buy and enjoy more single and multiplayer games on my console that I actually enjoy and spend no additional money on :) I love the masses.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Psychow

Does it make a difference if bobby earn the cash himself? You know, MOST gamers are adults.

I think therei s something wrong that people think playing a game to get a sword is "much effort", and care if other does that "much effort" or not. Personally, combat is fun in a game. Otherwise, i won't be playing it.

But i suppose each of us have our preferences. Personally, a free fun game is a drop from heaven. I like where MMOs are going.

No, I want Little Bobby to defeat the Dragon of Death like I did in order for him to have equal/better gear than me. I guess we could call it e-peen but it's really just a matter of principle.

I place zero value on items people can buy for cash instead of earning them in-game. (personal opinion). If you aren't good enough to get it in-game, then I don't think you deserve it in-game.

I'm sure most players could afford to buy everything in most cash shops...with money they earned themselves, so that point is meaningless.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by BartDaCat

An excellent response, given the state of today's game industry and game development gearing more and more toward "people on the go".

Honestly, I'd rather find a game worthy of a subscription fee for the kind of time I invest in my gaming, but I can understand why some people with a shorter attention span and a more disposable attitude would lean more toward trail-based "free to play" models.

It's funny, because there was also a time when I would rather play a game that justified the monthly sub, but I just don't see that happening anymore. I'm not even sure if a game could possibly deliver enough to justify a sub anymore. The climate is too different from when MMOs first came out.

That said, the reason I actually prefer F2P, is because I feel like subscription based games are actually catering to those with shorter attention spans, and a disposable attitude MORE than F2P games. F2P games are being built around playing at your own pace. Subscription games have become races to get the most out of the money you're forced to spend each month, and thus the race to endgame. I prefer the former.

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813

OP went a little far but has a point, we will see in the future. To me the best game is B2P with no cash shop, with the exception of content for money (XPACS). Cash shops suck, these are video games for christ sake.

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Aquazen

OP went a little far but has a point, we will see in the future. To me the best game is B2P with no cash shop, with the exception of content for money (XPACS). Cash shops suck, these are video games for christ sake.

I think there may be a couple diff ways of doing it.

Box price + F2P + Cash shop

No box price + sub fee

Either of those work for me, then again I have no issue with the way the Easern side of the world does it and that is by hourly...although that can get annoying.

Cash shops are fine if not selling an advantage. I'd rather pay a sub fee and have xpacs free, seeing as xpacs just divide the community being it FPS or MMO..anything really.

People should encourage F2P cause the only way they make money is if they get you hooked first, then you start buying stuff. So, they kind of have to make a good game because nobody is gonna buy something out of the shop if the game sucks, then again I'm sure I'm wrong on that but you get where I am coming from.

Meanwhile, you pay 60 bucks for a game and it turns out to be shit and you can't return/exchange it. How fair is that?

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

Just to be sure, the point is do not play f2p because you either can't or do not want to pay any more than $15 dollars a month?

I have no issue playing some f2p games. There are a few that I enjoy and I spend carefully when and if I do spend. That is my choice as an adult. If for whatever reason I decide I want to spend $400 a month and have the option to do so, that is my right.

Demanding that everyone else in the world not play a genre of games because you do not approve is futile. It does not matter how much logic or hyperbole you offer.

Some of you are stating that true f2p does not exist. While companies will look for ways to squeeze out cash one way or another, there are some models that are truely f2p. Here is one example... LoL is F2P and does not require you to pay whatsoever. All the content that has any real game changing modifications like runes and champions can be purchased through in game time AKA IP.

My biggest problem is having to pay money for content that should be part of the main game. All the classes should be available to us unless they were part of an expansion. The same goes with zones, spells, instances etc. As soon as you start charging players money for content that should be part of the main game itself, then that is when the game goes from F2P to B2P.

• everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

It's funny about the box price... When people say it is better for them, well it depends on a person. I get bored of a game anywere from 2 weeks to 2 months. So I will pay at most 2x15$ a month = 30$ for a p2p game, while I would have to pay 60$ for a b2p game, so for me p2p is cheaper xd

Some people play a lot longer and pay much more, but it is their choice, I prefer to go for two weeks on real life tropical islands to have some fun, or survival camps to have some challenge, than waste that money for a year of virtual fun, but it is just me :)