Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the 28 September release of Pandaren influence GW2?

Comments

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

WoW MoP will probably have an affect GW2 until about October 28th when MoP will experience a noticeable drop in the number of players. This will continue each month until December 25th, when the box-price only subscription-free MMO suddenly gains a huge influx of players...

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

A better question is how will the release of GW2 affect the WoW expansion.

I dont play WoW, i dont like WoW, but at this poin that game is like a sick who can get deep into ur soul, and everyone here knows what happen with a wow expansion even if it is just a kunfu-panda, pokemon addition. GW2 is casual and not a long term MMO, by the 28th of september we will find a lot of people already bored of the game. Also we will find a lot of people who gonna spend their money in the MoP pre-order and not gw2. 

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Azrile

Ok, I just took this thread, and replaced GW2 with SWTOR.. and low-and-behold, the exact same people were saying the exact same things about a year ago.

I don´t think either game will have an impact on the sales of the other game.  WOW is going to have it´s 4M sales on the first day, similar to what Cata had.

So predictions, which sells more in it´s first week  GW2, or a rehashed, out of date, overpriced expansion to a dumb-downed game?

Don't worry, if GW2 cuts into your guild's mentoring work then you can have members reroll alts and mentor them.

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

Who give's a shit what Blizzard does anymore, their a company that's running out of new creative idea's like SOE turning their games into Barbe-Land with panda's lol.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

A better question is how will the release of GW2 affect the WoW expansion.

I dont play WoW, i dont like WoW, but at this poin that game is like a sick who can get deep into ur soul, and everyone here knows what happen with a wow expansion even if it is just a kunfu-panda, pokemon addition. GW2 is casual and not a long term MMO, by the 28th of september we will find a lot of people already bored of the game. Also we will find a lot of people who gonna spend their money in the MoP pre-order and not gw2. 

Personally I liked the game.   I didn't leave because of any one thing I played it for years and just eventually got bored of raiding.   I don't really have anything bad to say about it, just finally wore it out after a while.   Considering how long I played it it certainly did its job well.

There's always going to be many people playing it, at least for a while yet, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't take a hit due to this game.  I don't know how big that hit will be but I think it'll be at least large enough to be noticed.   It may not affect the initial box sales of pandaria significantly but I do think it'll affect their recurring subs (might take a little longer than the timeline posed by the original poster though). 

This is the first game of its kind really.   I don't mean in terms of any particular game mechanics, though it has a lot of neat stuff going for it, but more in terms of the fact that it offers a complete MMO experience...and quite a good one, without asking for a sub fee.    That makes it a lot easier to not only switch to, but also to come back to.    It may end up having a fairly significant affect on MANY current popular MMOs subs because of that fact. 

I'm not proposing that it's going to kill games, WoW or otherwise, but it'll have a noticable effect.   I also think people are going to be surprised by how many boxes this game sells.   It's hard to say how many that'll be right at launch and soon after, but it's going to add up if this game starts becoming more and more popular by word of mouth (which to a significant degree it already has and the game isn't out yet).

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

For once i don't care anymore. its more what you consider "fun" to play.If you enjoy MoP, good for you. If you enjoy GW2, then you should be having fun playing the game. This entire pissing contest about which video game is better got old fast.

It's all about fun, and what you enjoy playing. Nothing more nothing less.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Looks like they are allowing the GW2 players 30 days to gobble up all of GW2's content. Then they release their expansion and claim all the bored game jumpers.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

for WoW; just wait till there remaining hardcore community learns that there is no talent speccing, training skills, and other things to make the game completly noob.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Anthur

If Blizzard wanted to keep people away from GW2 they would have released it before GW2. Not a month later. If they believe in their expansion. By releasing it a month after GW2 they probably want to profit from those who try GW2 but don't like it.

WoW players will buy MoP anyway, be there a GW2 or not.

everyone knows blizzard is the slowest company. Look at Diablo3, still no PVP. they had to take it out to make launch dates. and still waiting....

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Since GW2 doesn't have sub fees it removes itself from direct competition with WoW.  I believe there will be little to no influence.  If anything it might actually help GW2 being so close.  A month or so after MOP is released players will blow through content, get bored, and might look elsewhere.  GW2 will still be fresh and players won't have the fear of commitment since there's no monthly fee. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

I frankly couldn't care less, and I think anything we say is wild speculation. So, I'll just play the game and be happy with it.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

People will  not play MoP for long. And most former WoW players will probably not buy it. They are finished with WoW. And after MoP it will be more dumbed down and more childish and mainstream than ever. Perhaps MoP will attract new players. Mainstream consumers that are not gamers at all... It could be blizzards plan. Or maybe they have no plan and just lack talent and common sense....

I think GW2 is a different type of game. Typical GW2 players will not be interested in MoP....

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

I don't think its a "tactical" move by Blizzard, more of a "ohhh poop we haven't updated our game in 9 months and people have still been paying our sub fees, we needa get the content out before it looks like we went full year between expansion and patch content" 

I don't see how it will affect sales of both games, as there is no sub fee for GW2. 

Personally, looking forward to Mists of Panderia Expansion, as I'm not a fan of Guild Wars 2.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

With a sub, I get content with my money.

I love this line. I see it all the time. I pay a subscription fee because I get lots of new content for that fee and I never have to pay for anything extra.

But how true is that really? $15 a month is $180 a year. That is the cost of three ful $60 games, or more than four $40 expansions. In World of Warcraft, are you getting four + expansions worth of content each year? No? Then you are wasting your money. In truth you get perhaps 1/5th of an expansion per year. In the year and a half since Cataclysm hit WoW has recieved what.. three content patches? A handful of dungeons, a smattering of raids and some new daily quests in terms of content. In that 1.5 years you've paid ~$270 for 1/5th of an expansion pack worth of content. IF THAT. As someone above said it's been 9 months since any content has hit for WoW. That's $135 you've payed for absolutely nothing accept server upkeep and crappy support. Still think a monthly fee = more content?

Then you have all the other things people pay money for. Name changes, server transfers, minis, mounts, collectables, you name it. Millions of people buy this stuff, many of them buy multiples for their households. It's an insane amount of money over the years that people pay for an extremely small amount of mid-expansion content.

By comparison I played Guild Wars for six years on and off. I paid around $120 for the game total. Beyond that I bought some stuff on the in-game store, a few holiday outfits and storage space. In total I've spent less than $180 on Guild Wars in six years and that included tuns of free content via patches.

So you can leave your 'I pay a sub so I get content with my money, no useless money grab gem store!' at the door. With GW2's very elegant Microtransactions system they may well make more than a sub-fee  MMOG. But all the money people might spend over the next number of years is optional. Any money I spend (or have spent, I got $20 worth of gems last BWE) is a gift to Arenanet, NCSoft and its shareholders (Anet employees amongst them). I'm not held to some arbitrary monthy cost where I am forced to play for x ammount of hours each month or I feel I wasted money. I pay what I want.. when I want.. and I get as much.. perhaps even more content as I would in a Pay to Play MMOG.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

There was that test (true story), they had 2 chairs, exactly the same chairs, but with 2 prices.

One very expensive and the other one affordable.

They tested it with whomever came along, and it became very clear that the most expensive chair was more confortable than the cheaper one.

It's all between the ears, just think ... it only possible to fill an empty cup.

Pre-condition and psychologie are the tool of the trade in this consumption society, pre-conditioned that you are using your free will and perception to see and feel that the most expensive chair of the two same chairs is sitting more confortable than the lesser, cheaper one.

Makes you think? of course not, i'm an idiot.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

Buying gold, siege weapons and exp for real money will always be 'game-breaking'.

Why are there repair costs in Guild Wars 2?    As a gold sink.     If you can buy gold, you won't have to farm it at endgame and the sink is wasted.    

Example 2:  Exp boosts.   Why would anyone buy this boost if there was easily enough PVE content to level without grinding?  Obviously Arenanet wants people to buy these boosts, so to level you really have to do practically all the missions in a zone. 

Example 3: Mystic Keys.   Why do they sell keys to chests that you can only pick up during gameplay?  Surely if keys supposedly 'drop', then buying them would be unnecessary.  Oh wait, they want you to buy them.

With a sub, I get content with my money.  I don't pay for a stupid item shop.    Maybe there's not enough content.  Well then, I cancel my subscription.    

With Guild Wars 2 I pay for the full game, then just to open loot THAT I FOUND, I have to pay real money. 

Keep in mind the true-to-life (fluctuating) exchange rate. If a bunch of people cash in gems for gold, each gem becomes worth less and less gold thus correcting the problem.

Example 1: (See above)

Example 2: You should read the tool tip on those. They are a % increase to a laughably small amount of xp to begin with. Grinding mobs, even with that buff is pointless when you can simply hop to another equal level zone to balance any extra xp needs.

Example 3: Those keys actually can be obtained from in game chests and as a reward for completion of quests, not just through the game store.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

You know, I think ANet should start a new marketing campaign when Pandaria is released...

Guild Wars 2.  Even our bears are cooler.

VS.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

Funny. Most of the GW2 playerbase don't even know what panderen is, i just now found out through this thread that WoW has a new expansion....so ya, no influence will be made to  GW2 from this expansion. 

GW2 > All

• CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77

Yea, but you can't play the Kodan so they shouldn't lol

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by xalvi

Funny. Most of the GW2 playerbase don't even know what panderen is, i just now found out through this thread that WoW has a new expansion....so ya, no influence will be made to  GW2 from this expansion. 

GW2 > All

Mate, dont imagine that you are the GW2 playerbase, if you dont know things, others might.  

Any vivid MMO fan should know what it is, and if not they belong to a very small and ign orant minorrity

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

I think it's a great idea to launch a month afterwords. Would be a good strategy knowing these days gamers plow through content in a month. Hence launch a month after GW2, let folks plow through the content, they already have their B2P game and will be ready for the WoW expansion. Now there is no dilemma on which to buy. There is time for both. Just my opinion, but then again, who knows the strategy, just seems valid.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Entris38

I think it's a great idea to launch a month afterwords. Would be a good strategy knowing these days gamers plow through content in a month. Hence launch a month after GW2, let folks plow through the content, they already have their B2P game and will be ready for the WoW expansion. Now there is no dilemma on which to buy. There is time for both. Just my opinion, but then again, who knows the strategy, just seems valid.

I assume that by "plow through content" you mean reach max level which begs the question; What are WoW players going to do when they plow through their expansion in a couple weeks?

The only possible thing WoW can offer players over GW2 is raid content since GW2 doesn't have raids. I haven't played WoW in a long time now but back when I played an increasing minority were raiders. Are all of the current WoW players raiders who are looking for more of the same?

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I think most people that are done with WoW and want something, new want something new BECAUSE of MoP =P I seriously doubt MoP will affect GW2 all that much and if it does it will be those not ready for an MMO like GW2 or those who just want their WoW fix for a month and will return.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by Entris38

I assume that by "plow through content" you mean reach max level which begs the question; What are WoW players going to do when they plow through their expansion in a couple weeks?

The only possible thing WoW can offer players over GW2 is raid content since GW2 doesn't have raids. I haven't played WoW in a long time now but back when I played an increasing minority were raiders. Are all of the current WoW players raiders who are looking for more of the same?

It's what I mean exactly. I don't think it's just WoW players though, I think most players are more of a "rush to the end" types, maybe not most, but half. Every game that comes out, same whining, "I'm top level and did all the content in the month, this game sucks"............has that not happened with every single MMO over the last many years? Every game will have their decicated player base, all others just pass through looking for the end and move on. No, I am not one of those type, just stating the obvious.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Won't make any difference at all. 1 month for a B2P game is a bargain for most people.

I buy new Xbox games all the time that barely last a wekk until completion.