Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GTX 260 vs 9800GT

strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

Hello all,

I just have a quick question for all the tech savvy...

Would a GTX 260 896meg vid card give me any significant performance boost over my currently installed 9800GT 1gig card? A friend of mine gave me the card because I am having some problems running TSW with low frame rates with the 9800GT. I know that a newer 5XX series card would be the way to go, but have limited funds atm.

Thanks for any input :)

"I'm a Alpha male on Beta blockers"-The Immortal George Carlin

RIP
Ronnie James Dio 2010(The greatest Voice in Rock)

Comments

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

Way too many other factors that could contribute to that.  If it's not too much trouble please provide us with all your computer specs.

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

Certainly...here they are

AMD 64x2 6000+ 3.0 ghz processor

Biostar NF520-A2 mobo

ULTRA 750 watt PS

4 Gig OCZ 800mhz ram

9800GT w/ 301.42 nvidia drivers

Soundblaster Xi-Fi(?) sound card with latest SB drivers

Win 7 64 bit OS

500gig Seagate Barracuda SATA HD (Main)

500gig Western Digital SATA HD (Secondary)

Thanks

RIP

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

You could probably expect your graphical performance to increase by about 50%.  That only matters if the video card is your current bottleneck, which it may or may not be.  Your processor is slightly below the official minimum settings, while your video card is a little above it.

One quick check is to try turning the game to minimum settings (which I assume you're already using if you can't get the game to run well) and see what frame rates you get.  Then turn on anti-aliasing, at around 4x MSAA or so, but leave everything else at the minimum.  If your frame rate drops considerably, then you're limited by the video card.  If your frame rate doesn't budge, then it's a processor bottleneck.  That's not 100% foolproof, but it's usually pretty good.

• strutter78strutter78 Member Posts: 90

Thanks for the reply Quizz... I'll give this a try when I get home tonight.

RIP