Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How old are GW2 players?

124

Comments

  • RoybeRoybe Star, NCPosts: 420Member
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    Originally posted by pacov
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by freegames

    18-35 dont you ever read the statistics they put out?

    They make you sign a virtual message saying you are 18 and the top end of players is nearing 40.

    In actuality most players are between 16-35 and the amounts you put are too specific.

     

    Guessing the people who actually have time to play the most are between 16-21 though.

    Overehere in Holland there are for example many people in early retirement playing..

     

    And many of the people who have lost their jobs in the crisis have lots of time on their hands to play MMO´s.  Which is actually the cheepest form of entertainment for them.

     

    People between 16 and 21 should have the least time to play, as they should be studying and socialising in the few hours they are not studying. 

    lol thats bogus. Highschool, at least in America does not require one tiddly bit of homework to do and you'll do fine in school, so 16-18 group actually have the most free time. College is another thing but many don't even get to there so...

    Really my kids to stay in top honors do 3-4 hours a night, maybe your parents should have pushed you harder instead of settling on mediocrity

    Ouch! Them's fightin' words! To someone...

    Only if their understood by the recipient. image

  • dellirious13dellirious13 Lancaster, PAPosts: 205Member
    Originally posted by Aelious

    You had to just barely put me into the 31-40 bracket didn't you?

    The results so far reflect similar research done putting the common age of MMOers at 25-30.

    This is about right, though I would actually move it back to 25-33/34. Of my 3 main guilds over the years in WoW, I was one of the youngest (27 now), and now the oldest of us are in our 40s. This was about the same for my GW1 guilds. I wouldnt be surprised if WoW's age is skewed younger now because of many of the older players quitting because of the drastic difference between vanilla/BC and Cata/Pandaville. And my guild for GW2 (people I just met, none of the same people as WoW or GW1) are between 21 and 53 i believe is the oldest of us :P

     

    EDIT: I find that I have more time to play video games now than in HS/College, except for those times when my wife wants to go out and do things 3-4 days straight XD

  • Syno23Syno23 LA, CA, CAPosts: 1,360Member

    So 60% of GW2 players are between age 22 and 40?

  • Chase187666Chase187666 Caledonia, ONPosts: 138Member

    Wow, surprising theres more 41-50 than 18-22

    image
    image

  • evolver1972evolver1972 Port Orchard, WAPosts: 1,118Member

    <----------- This one just turned 40.

     

    Whew!  still grouped with the 30 somethings!  Yeah!

     

     

    image

    You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

    Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by pacov
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by freegames

    18-35 dont you ever read the statistics they put out?

    They make you sign a virtual message saying you are 18 and the top end of players is nearing 40.

    In actuality most players are between 16-35 and the amounts you put are too specific.

     

    Guessing the people who actually have time to play the most are between 16-21 though.

    Overehere in Holland there are for example many people in early retirement playing..

     

    And many of the people who have lost their jobs in the crisis have lots of time on their hands to play MMO´s.  Which is actually the cheepest form of entertainment for them.

     

    People between 16 and 21 should have the least time to play, as they should be studying and socialising in the few hours they are not studying. 

    lol thats bogus. Highschool, at least in America does not require one tiddly bit of homework to do and you'll do fine in school, so 16-18 group actually have the most free time. College is another thing but many don't even get to there so...

    I am taking mutiple college prep/credit courses next year as a Junior. I am still gonna play it when I have time. Also, MMOs aren't that popular in USA. Xbox is much more popular, as are the games that go along with it.

  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,501Member Uncommon

     

    People at or below 22 years old: ~18.2%
     
     
    People between 22 and 41 years old: ~57.4%
     
     
    People at or above 41 years old: ~17.7%
     
     
     
     
     
    People abstaining from poll: ~7%
  • azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member


    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by pacov Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Originally posted by freegames 18-35 dont you ever read the statistics they put out? They make you sign a virtual message saying you are 18 and the top end of players is nearing 40. In actuality most players are between 16-35 and the amounts you put are too specific.   Guessing the people who actually have time to play the most are between 16-21 though.
    Overehere in Holland there are for example many people in early retirement playing..   And many of the people who have lost their jobs in the crisis have lots of time on their hands to play MMO´s.  Which is actually the cheepest form of entertainment for them.   People between 16 and 21 should have the least time to play, as they should be studying and socialising in the few hours they are not studying. 
    lol thats bogus. Highschool, at least in America does not require one tiddly bit of homework to do and you'll do fine in school, so 16-18 group actually have the most free time. College is another thing but many don't even get to there so...
    Wow, that is atrocious, I know in my Highschool we had a tonne of homework to do - Good ol' Scotland!

     

    M


    we basically pay our teachers in food stamps these days .. so it's no suprise they can't be bothered to assign homework anymore. when I was a kid there was 2-6 hours of homework a day. I might have been able to get a C by acing tests and not doing homework, but some teachers would have failed me just out of principle.

    gone are the days when the ox fall down

    LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

  • NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Houston, TXPosts: 128Member
    Originally posted by Naqaj

    For comparison: http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=total÷=agegroup

     

    It's been known that adults make up the bulk of the gaming community for many years; which has always baffled me as to why people always assume that it's some disfunctional kid at the other end of a bad toon in these games.  lol

  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Tarzana, CAPosts: 1,220Member

    I turn 25 the day before GW2 headstart :)

  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Simpsonville, SCPosts: 777Member
    Originally posted by azmundai

    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by pacov Originally posted by Lord.Bachus Originally posted by freegames 18-35 dont you ever read the statistics they put out? They make you sign a virtual message saying you are 18 and the top end of players is nearing 40. In actuality most players are between 16-35 and the amounts you put are too specific.   Guessing the people who actually have time to play the most are between 16-21 though.
    Overehere in Holland there are for example many people in early retirement playing..   And many of the people who have lost their jobs in the crisis have lots of time on their hands to play MMO´s.  Which is actually the cheepest form of entertainment for them.   People between 16 and 21 should have the least time to play, as they should be studying and socialising in the few hours they are not studying. 
    lol thats bogus. Highschool, at least in America does not require one tiddly bit of homework to do and you'll do fine in school, so 16-18 group actually have the most free time. College is another thing but many don't even get to there so...
    Wow, that is atrocious, I know in my Highschool we had a tonne of homework to do - Good ol' Scotland!

     

    M


    we basically pay our teachers in food stamps these days .. so it's no suprise they can't be bothered to assign homework anymore. when I was a kid there was 2-6 hours of homework a day. I might have been able to get a C by acing tests and not doing homework, but some teachers would have failed me just out of principle.

    gone are the days when the ox fall down

     

    Maybe if my school wouldn't keep getting new computers and polymethean boards (whos light bulbs cost about $600) we could pay teachers more. Or even cut down on the amount of crap stuff has to go through to get anything done in government. Or maybe lower taxes on everyone and everything, which allows them to spend more money on what they want, which creates jobs, which then creates more tax revenue. Just an idea though.
  • fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member
    Originally posted by colddog04

     

    People at or below 22 years old: ~18.2%
     
     
    People between 22 and 41 years old: ~57.4%
     
     
    People at or above 41 years old: ~17.7%
     
     
     
     
     
    People abstaining from poll: ~7%

    The poll makes a great bell curve!

    I think the poll is a combination of the fanbase for the game and the population that frequents this site. It all looks good to me though. :)

    Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated
    image

  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by azmundai

     


    Originally posted by Silverbarr

    Originally posted by pacov

    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    Originally posted by freegames 18-35 dont you ever read the statistics they put out? They make you sign a virtual message saying you are 18 and the top end of players is nearing 40. In actuality most players are between 16-35 and the amounts you put are too specific.   Guessing the people who actually have time to play the most are between 16-21 though.
    Overehere in Holland there are for example many people in early retirement playing..   And many of the people who have lost their jobs in the crisis have lots of time on their hands to play MMO´s.  Which is actually the cheepest form of entertainment for them.   People between 16 and 21 should have the least time to play, as they should be studying and socialising in the few hours they are not studying. 
    lol thats bogus. Highschool, at least in America does not require one tiddly bit of homework to do and you'll do fine in school, so 16-18 group actually have the most free time. College is another thing but many don't even get to there so...
    Wow, that is atrocious, I know in my Highschool we had a tonne of homework to do - Good ol' Scotland!

     

     

    M


     

    we basically pay our teachers in food stamps these days .. so it's no suprise they can't be bothered to assign homework anymore. when I was a kid there was 2-6 hours of homework a day. I might have been able to get a C by acing tests and not doing homework, but some teachers would have failed me just out of principle.

    gone are the days when the ox fall down

     

    Maybe if my school wouldn't keep getting new computers and polymethean boards (whos light bulbs cost about $600) we could pay teachers more. Or even cut down on the amount of crap stuff has to go through to get anything done in government. Or maybe lower taxes on everyone and everything, which allows them to spend more money on what they want, which creates jobs, which then creates more tax revenue. Just an idea though.

    Lower taxes is a non option these days. All countries have way to much depths, (probably indirectly caused by BUSH´s anti Arabian warstance)  People just dont understand that when they pay taxes they get a lot for that in return. More money spend on roads, schools, Hospitals, safety and such.  Personally i think Taxes when well spend are a great thing for a community.

     

    And when the Government gets more tax income they can use part of that to create more jobs and geneerating even more Tax income.. (so that was a non argument of yours)

    Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

  • kiwiitiskiwiitis ChristchurchPosts: 20Member

    Where's the 70+ ?

     

    EoC Supporter

    Regards Gramps www.theoldergamers.com

  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In ..Posts: 1,013Member Common
    Originally posted by kiwiitis

    Where's the 70+ ?

     

    Lol ! Now, is your age "legit" ? 76 Years old? If yes, then .. see you at the 100 age step :)

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by fiontar

    The poll makes a great bell curve!

    I think the poll is a combination of the fanbase for the game and the population that frequents this site. It all looks good to me though. :)

    Pretty typical results for an "age" curve.  Of course the mean/stdev change, from poll to poll, but the "shape" is pretty standard-looking.

    I presume this was an effort to head off the "lolkiddieslol" thread that appears for pretty much every new MMO?

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • XeseXese Hershey, PAPosts: 39Member

    I think there is an inherent bias to the survey here: the MMO players here are generally older. I remember when I was a teenager, I didn't care at all about these surveys or reading the hype on games. I just wanted to play whatever. I think it may be true today, where most teenagers that may eventually play the GW2 game are not playing the betas now (because they are busy with other games that have released) and are not on this website.

  • SilveruneSilverune West SussexPosts: 112Member

    To OP Lord.Bachus

     

    So as you can see it is hardly a kids game as another post of yours implies

     

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/358343/Its-a-kids-game.html

  • TheonenoniTheonenoni Lexington, VAPosts: 279Member

    why does it matter? a 12 year old can be just as good if not better than a 20 year old.

    also the beauty of an MMO is anonymity.

    -I am here to perform logic

  • jirvajirva clermont ferrandPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by Boneflower

    The average age of gamers in general (all types of video games, not just MMOs) has been steadily increasing each and every year. It currently stands in the mid 30s (The last published study done by the industry I had read said 33). 

     

    The average age of gamers will continue to increase for at least another few decades until it starts to level out. Why is it so high, and why is it increasing? Mainly because those of us now in our 40s and 50s who were the very first wave of young video game players back in the early 1980s have not stopped playing, and have no plans to. Games are not just for kids or young people. No more than movies, TV, or books are just for one age group. Video games may be the newest entertainment form on the block, but it isn't going anywhere and is now mainstream and expanding. 

     

    So don't be so shocked that us old timers still play. We created this industry and we aren't going anywhere. :p

     

    +1

     

    last sentence is a great Motto

    Waiting for : Archeage, GW2, World of darkness (must be very patient^^)

  • kiwiitiskiwiitis ChristchurchPosts: 20Member
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kiwiitis

    Where's the 70+ ?

     

    Lol ! Now, is your age "legit" ? 76 Years old? If yes, then .. see you at the 100 age step :)

    Aye it is.I must admit I am not as thrilled with GW2 as most here,enough to buy the game though.

    EoC supporter

    www.theoldergamers.com.

    EoC Supporter

    Regards Gramps www.theoldergamers.com

  • UOvetUOvet Fort Myers, FLPosts: 514Member
    Originally posted by jirva
    Originally posted by Boneflower

    The average age of gamers in general (all types of video games, not just MMOs) has been steadily increasing each and every year. It currently stands in the mid 30s (The last published study done by the industry I had read said 33). 

     

    The average age of gamers will continue to increase for at least another few decades until it starts to level out. Why is it so high, and why is it increasing? Mainly because those of us now in our 40s and 50s who were the very first wave of young video game players back in the early 1980s have not stopped playing, and have no plans to. Games are not just for kids or young people. No more than movies, TV, or books are just for one age group. Video games may be the newest entertainment form on the block, but it isn't going anywhere and is now mainstream and expanding. 

     

    So don't be so shocked that us old timers still play. We created this industry and we aren't going anywhere. :p

     

    +1

     

    last sentence is a great Motto

    I agree.

     

    Meanwhile, the games they are making don't appeal to us who put a lot of these people in business and where gaming is today, they appeal to the asshole kid who was born in 98.

  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Norcal, CAPosts: 612Member

    OP: The same ages as any other game like this.

     

    Next Question.

  • ezduzitezduzit oxnard, CAPosts: 112Member

    Hey OP. Your asking the wrong question. Dont use age factor. There are still 40 year olds fighting stylized Panda Bears in WoW. Therefore, you should ask how many WoW players will be playing GW2?

  • chaintmchaintm Chicago, ILPosts: 972Member Common

    I was so iffy on this game till I got to do the beta and actually get my hands on the WvWvW enviorment. It is right out of the book of DAOC seige, can't wait now while before I didn't really care. Top that with no monthly fee and I can seige castles, keeps and more till my heart is content?! Woot! I Would have paid a good montly fee for an updated DAOC rvr game, I can't beleive we got that in GW2 with a one time fee. I am in heaven :)

    This old fart can't wait!  :)

    "The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Sign In or Register to comment.