Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the 28 September release of Pandaren influence GW2?

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

Why is it everyone is of the mindset that people can only play one or the other? I played WoW and the original Guild Wars simultaneously, along with a few other games as well. At this moment I have 5 games installed on my PC and manage to play every one of them, some more than others of course.

I don't understand the all or nothing mentality that people have.

I don't understand it either. My gf and I will maintain our WoW subs and play GW2 on and off as it's B2P. The only limit I place on myself is having one sub game at a time, other than that I play all sorts of other games.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Will be interesting! Get the popcorn! haha

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Personally I would have waited 3 months after GW2 releasing MoP end of November right before black Friday shopping day.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by silvermember

The people that like WoW are gonna play WoW no matter that. So while there is some intersection between the WoW base and Gw2 base, the insection is IMO small enough that it wont significantly affect each other.

spot on assesment. I was watching number this last weekend and GW2 BWE did not casue much of a bump. This shopuld not be misinterpreted as anything bad aginst either GW2 or WoW. It is just that each have their own playerbase. Neither did TOR, LoTRO, or EvE. GW1 took a hit, but that was to be expected.

Like I was telling a friend this morning  GW2 will not appeal to the gear grinders or raid fans and that pretty much defines  WoW gameplay.

I miss DAoC

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Anthur

If Blizzard wanted to keep people away from GW2 they would have released it before GW2. Not a month later. If they believe in their expansion. By releasing it a month after GW2 they probably want to profit from those who try GW2 but don't like it.

WoW players will buy MoP anyway, be there a GW2 or not.

But what new and fresh things does pandaria have to offer that could make people return to WoW instead of Continue playing GW2?

Blizzard has all forgetten about their own commandments, the one that the longlevity of a game depends on its diversity. The new X-pac is just more of the same. Good for the people that still love the game, but not good enough to make many people return.

They are addicts, they will get back for a new fix like always.

What might happen however is that many of the people who bungee in a month for every expansion might decide not to but the people who still play will continue to do so.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Rusque

I don't understand it either. My gf and I will maintain our WoW subs and play GW2 on and off as it's B2P. The only limit I place on myself is having one sub game at a time, other than that I play all sorts of other games.

Imagine you start playing GW2. 

And you enjoy it and start spending more and more time in GW2.

It reaches a point where you are spending a lot more time in GW2 than WoW.

Why are you spending $15 a month that you could use in GW2 cash shop? Or just save it?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Well, for me, the problem is simple... it's hard to play any "questing on rails" game after having played GW2. The only thing I still do in WoW is some PvP on my druid, but even that got boring after I tried WvW PvP in GW2. Setting up your own balista on an advanced outpost and breaking down a huge castle's walls beats picking up a flag and carrying it accross a tiny battleground map.

I just don't see myself logging into WoW (or LOTRO, btw, or any other WOW clones) when I can play GW2 instead, and as I said above, I don't intend to offer $15 to Blizzard for not playing their game. To the opposite of many WoW "addicts", I have absolutely no problem in letting it go when it's no longer fun (or when I found something more fun). It's just a game.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• HeracliusHeraclius Member Posts: 71

I bought GW2 since the date it was available for purchase, I long forgot the €50 something I spent for it, I honestly forgot I paid this already, there are lots of people with me that pre-ordered on the first day so it won't be a problem I think.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

It won't have any impact on GW2.

Nobody who still enjoys WoW and planned to buy the panda expansion was ever going to quit WoW for GW2.

Some WoW players will buy GW2 to check it out, many won't because they're happy with WoW and are planning on being panderps.

^ Pretty much this ^... I couldnt made this up better. :D

I know plenty of people IRL who arent even bothered to buy GW2 because of MoP releasing, eventhough i showed them up BWEs and everything. People in my country have very low standards and they already invested so much money in WoW to just abandon it (sucks for them anyway but whatever). Other however said that they tried it and they werent happy with no carrot-on-a-stick (a true quote by the way, believe it or not) and they will stick to Pandaria.

I am not worried in the least, however, majority of my gildmates already are planning on playing it and some of them were even active WoW players even in Cataclysm.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Sorrow

Personally I would have waited 3 months after GW2 releasing MoP end of November right before black Friday shopping day.

You need to think internationally.... Black friday is a US thing, doesnt work in Europe or Korea or anywhere else.

GW2 release day is pretty much perfect, gives us something to do after the long and hot summer hollidays. Weather will get worse and worse end of September and throves of new players will find out about GW2 and join in early winter.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Slampig

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

Why is it everyone is of the mindset that people can only play one or the other? I played WoW and the original Guild Wars simultaneously, along with a few other games as well. At this moment I have 5 games installed on my PC and manage to play every one of them, some more than others of course.

I don't understand the all or nothing mentality that people have.

Pretty simple. While a lot of people will do as you stated a majority will not. Yes, GW2 doesn't have a sub fee so folks may do as such but there will more folks he will only have time to focus on one game. And then there are those who understand it may not have a sub fee but realize they will want certain things from the cash shop as well so would rather not get a sub fee from another game on top of this.

So yeah a lot of folks will have both but in all likelyhood not a majority. As it is many polls show the player range more among the working class or college students. At that time of the year their time is restricted. I know as a working man I sure as heck won't be spending time bouncing from one MMO to another (*mumbles* Especially for some pandas...) so it all comes down to time restrictions. While many did so with GW1, this game is a different animal.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Nobody who still enjoys WoW and planned to buy the panda expansion was ever going to quit WoW for GW2.

Some WoW players will buy GW2 to check it out, many won't because they're happy with WoW and are planning on being panderps.

I know plenty of people IRL who arent even bothered to buy GW2 because of MoP releasing, eventhough i showed them up BWEs and everything. People in my country have very low standards and they already invested so much money in WoW to just abandon it (sucks for them anyway but whatever). Other however said that they tried it and they werent happy with no carrot-on-a-stick (a true quote by the way, believe it or not) and they will stick to Pandaria.

I am not worried in the least, however, majority of my gildmates already are planning on playing it and some of them were even active players even in Cataclysm.

So even if they like WoW less and less, they keep putting more money intoo it, because they allready put huge amounts intoo it?    I

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

So even if they like WoW less and less, they keep putting more money intoo it, because they allready put huge amounts intoo it?   

That's what addiction is all about. They NEED to get that next tier of gear, no matter what.

I'm glad I was never victim of that stuff - pretty much why I always stopped raiding and took breaks when it was no longer fun and became repetitive. But some people just can't do that, I witnessed that in my own WoW guild. It's no longer for fun, it's just to complete that "gear set" so they can start farming for the next one once it's released. And I'm not making things up here, I've seen more than a person openly admit it - "raiding has become boring, but I want to complete my set".

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by I_Return

What's a panadaren ?

The main character from Kung Fu Panda basically. 

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I think both games will do well. I know lots of people that still play WoW, and still plan to buy MoP and GW2.

I would like to say though, Blizz needs to work overtime on MoP beta atm, I've been watching someone play it and the bugs and exploits atm are rampant.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus (Blizzard) used to raise by more then a Million after previous expansions

its been a long time since that -- 4 years

http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/10/morhaime-confirms-the-unthinkable-wows-stopped-growing/

• jirvajirva Member Posts: 3

Guys, there are pandas... PANDAS ?!?!?

How this expansion could attract people that has more than 12 Years old ? really i'am asking myself, ,i repeat, it's pandas ... (omg)

Waiting for : Archeage, GW2, World of darkness (must be very patient^^)

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

In short, it won't influence GW2 at all.

The addicts will return to WoW, but since GW2 isn't sub based they will log in when its not raid time.

My brother is sadly a WoW addict with 8 level 85's and raids 4 times a week.  I know this is what he will do.  Its an addiction, just like some people are addicted to smoking, drinking, working out, or just watching TV.  Its a lack of willpower they possess to be away from raids and getting the next uber weapon/armor.

Sucks that one of them is my brother though :(

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I don't think Pandas and Pokemon is going to have any effect on GW2.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by dzoni87

I am not worried in the least, however, majority of my gildmates already are planning on playing it and some of them were even active players even in Cataclysm.

So even if they like WoW less and less, they keep putting more money intoo it, because they allready put huge amounts intoo it?    I

Well, unfortunatelly, yes... dont ask me how, its pretty much beyond me. Call it maybe pathologic addiction or close-minded reasoning or maybe just being plain dumb.

Like i said... sucks for them. I know i saved a lot of money already, when it comes to spending it on WoW (stopped with it near before Cata) :))

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• TheonenoniTheonenoni Member Posts: 279

Anet need not to worry of the pathetic Blizzard game.  I have seen WoW evolve over the years and it is very close to GW2's gameplay but it has a sub fee. 

What I am saying is IMO fools pay sub fees for a game when they can get the same thing for free from another game that has dynamic events.

-I am here to perform logic

• GamayunGamayun Member CommonPosts: 73

I think I said it before, but I'll repeat it. 
    Whatever impact, if any, the new WoW expansion will have on GW2, it's only a short term effect (few months). 

ArenaNet/NCSoft raked in something with prepuchases, I believe the sales in the first month will also be decent, and those who are interested in GW2 but won't buy specifically because of Mists of Pandaria at first, might still do so a few months later. And that's fine, since in general the GW1 box price didn't drop for a long time after release, and I expect something similar with GW2 pricing. It might hold until the next expansion comes out. 

Based on GW1 sales, it looks like the franchise has a solid fanbase of ~2 millions. 
    I expect it to increase through word of mouth (quality, an alternative to the standard MMORPGs) and pricing model over the years. 
    A different fluctuation of player numbers in the first few months is negligible in comparison to what GW2 is expected to become through the years, especially if ArenaNet will keep up on that announcement about active support post-release. 
    I'm not talking about stupidities like "WoW killer," but about GW2's staying power within its current fanbase, and an addition of many occasional "jump-in-jump-out" players. 
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Really now, I am as bored of WoW as a lot of you, but some of you make the arguement that someone who still likes something you don't, or someone who doesn't want to play GW2 and wants to stick to WoW, is automatically an addict. 

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by Theonenoni

Anet need not to worry of the pathetic Blizzard game.  I have seen WoW evolve over the years and it is very close to GW2's gameplay but it has a sub fee. 

What I am saying is IMO fools pay sub fees for a game when they can get the same thing for free from another game that has dynamic events.

GW2 smaller zone, no mounts, no panda, no pokemon, no fishing, no trinity, etc...

They are not the same.

but that said, i'll be playing both :)

RIP Orc Choppa

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Just to clarify in WC3 there was already a Pandarean Brewmaster.

Blizzard maybe many things, but they already had a kung fu panda long before the kung fu panda movies.

Yes i am aware of that :P But Panda Monks are still not original at all (I just used Kungfu panda as a modern example). It actually is very stereotypical to make a panda a deep thinking martial artist (and verging on racist according to some, though I don't agree with that). Its a yawn. Being able to play Worgens and Goblins was interesting, but still a stretch for me.