Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will the 28 September release of Pandaren influence GW2?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

They are one month apart, I don't think anyone with money is going to wait.

This is not a game.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

The people that like WoW are gonna play WoW no matter that. So while there is some intersection between the WoW base and Gw2 base, the insection is IMO small enough that it wont significantly affect each other.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Pesonally i think its a smart move of Blizzard, giving their playerbase a new expansion so close to the release of GW2, i would have done the same, it will keep a lot of people from trying GW2 and wayting for the soon to be released expansion.

Its a master move from Blizzard, because we all know the release dates of the previous expansions where all much later. They all aimed for the christmass target (except the lich king which did not make the that target)

I guess this speaks volumes as to what Blizzard execs fear GW2 might do to WOW. Time will tell though :-)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by joocheese

I guess this speaks volumes as to what Blizzard execs fear GW2 might do to WOW. Time will tell though :-)

Exactly my point, they must have played the Betas and will have seen the potential of this unsubbed game.

Originally posted by I_Return

What's a panadaren ?

Thats someone that lives in Pandaria

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

If Blizzard wanted to keep people away from GW2 they would have released it before GW2. Not a month later. If they believe in their expansion. By releasing it a month after GW2 they probably want to profit from those who try GW2 but don't like it.

WoW players will buy MoP anyway, be there a GW2 or not.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

It won't have any impact on GW2.

Nobody who still enjoys WoW and planned to buy the panda expansion was ever going to quit WoW for GW2.

Some WoW players will buy GW2 to check it out, many won't because they're happy with WoW and are planning on being panderps.

Originally posted by Anthur

If Blizzard wanted to keep people away from GW2 they would have released it before GW2. Not a month later. If they believe in their expansion. By releasing it a month after GW2 they probably want to profit from those who try GW2 but don't like it.

But what new and fresh things does pandaria have to offer that could make people return to WoW instead of Continue playing GW2?

Blizzard has all forgetten about their own commandments, the one that the longlevity of a game depends on its diversity. The new X-pac is just more of the same. Good for the people that still love the game, but not good enough to make many people return.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

But what new and fresh things does pandaria have to offer that could make people return to WoW instead of Continue playing GW2?

Blizzard has all forgetten about their own commandments, the one that the longlevity of a game depends on its diversity. The new X-pac is just more of the same. Good for the people that still love the game, but not good enough to make many people return.

Hey, don't ask me. I really don't know what people see in WoW anymore. ;)

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

MoP will be the first WoW expansion I probably will not be buying at release. It just does not interest me in the least. I saw Kungfu Panda, it was a good movie. I really don't want to play a video game that has ripped the idea from the movie (seeing that the panda class is Monk and uses martial arts....the only thing not making this rip complete is that they dont have Jack Black doing voicing). MoP is 1) completely unoriginal and uninspired and 2) imo, a desperate cry to younger audience which alienates many of the original WoW players.

Agreed. My wife and I will def never go back to wow; unless they make some huge changes. I know we're only two, but I also know there are thousands that think like us. Nothing against wow, it's their loss.

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128
    The same way the release of any wow expansion influences the sales of a single-player buy-once RPG I'd imagine.
    Don't think it will have a tremendous effect tbh - the number of people who would pass up on a full game for an expansion seems kind of low to me.
    Originally posted by dellirious13

MoP will be the first WoW expansion I probably will not be buying at release. It just does not interest me in the least. I saw Kungfu Panda, it was a good movie. I really don't want to play a video game that has ripped the idea from the movie (seeing that the panda class is Monk and uses martial arts....the only thing not making this rip complete is that they dont have Jack Black doing voicing). MoP is 1) completely unoriginal and uninspired and 2) imo, a desperate cry to younger audience which alienates many of the original WoW players.

Completely agree.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Well, I have two active WoW accounts right now, to keep me busy while I wait for August 25.

But I already know what I'll be playing September 28., and it will not be WoW ;-)

Originally posted by dellirious13

Exactly the same here, word for word. I still plan to eventually try it out to visit the new areas, since Blizzard's art team is still kickass, but I'm in no hurry, since I don't plan to even participate in any WoW "endgame".

You also forgot that they completely dumb down the talent system and completely change the way some classes are played (they litterally "ruin" my poor feral druid).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Well, I have two active WoW accounts right now, to keep me busy while I wait for August 25.

But I already know what I'll be playing September 28., and it will not be WoW ;-)

nice!

I have a feeling you're not the only one

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

With all these MMO companies competing for the top spot still even though it still belongs to to Blizz I believe that it will have the butterfly affect and sooner or later for better or for worse something big will happen in the MMO world that will change it forever.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i agree fully with this

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

I think the botched D3 release will have more of an impact on MoP sales than GW2. I think a lot of people feel like they got suckered into renewing their WoW sub and will be a lot more critical of MoP than if D3 had been a better game.

I may dare to add a prediction... Pandaria will not even remotely come close to the WotLK sales, or even just the Cataclysm sales. Many WoW players are very unhappy with the radical changes to the game in Pandaria.

WoW was at its top during WotLK (best expansion ever, with Ulduar arguably being the best raid dungeon I've ever played in any game). It will never go back there.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I think that the west is done with WOW , Pandaren expansion is clearly aimed at Chinese market.

Dont think these two games will have any inpact on each other.

You could be playing both, you know for the same price you now pay to play WoW ;)

I think Blizzard will be a sad Panda when they find out their western subscriptions didnt raise after this expansion, they used to raise by more then a Million after previous expansions

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Why is it everyone is of the mindset that people can only play one or the other? I played WoW and the original Guild Wars simultaneously, along with a few other games as well. At this moment I have 5 games installed on my PC and manage to play every one of them, some more than others of course.

I don't understand the all or nothing mentality that people have.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Does anyone seriously looking at GW2 even give a flying frick about Blizzard/WOW?

I know I sure don't.

You could be playing both, you know for the same price you now pay to play WoW ;)

I don't intend to offer $15 per month to Blizzard while I play another game ;-)

I'd rather use that money to get some additional bank space or whatever in GW2.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Just to clarify in WC3 there was already a Pandarean Brewmaster.

Blizzard maybe many things, but they already had a kung fu panda long before the kung fu panda movies.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders