Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its a kids game

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Yes to me it is. Why?

Because whenever i play games i want to run around carefree and untaught, just as i did in the real world when i was just a kid. This way i get the relaxation and the distraction i need after a hard days of work and worrying.

And i have found GW2 to be particularly good at this, as exploration really gives me that kiddo feeling back. And the character immersion makes sure i feel like being in that other world.

Now all i need is to find a nice guild with chatty helpfull likeminded people on some EU server.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I don´t think being curious and childish is exactly the same thing, but I get what you mean.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

i would not call it a kids game but its aimed at casual players thats for sure..

• I think you are trying to say it lets you be child-like rather than childish.

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Yeah, it also awakens the kid in us because ok there's a progression, but you're not playing as a means to get to cool achievements. I really had a blast coming back to some regions just to do an event I had already done but I found fun. It's like bedtime stories: you're not always wanting new ones, you just want to hear the one you like, and you don't care if it's yesterday's story.

People these days want to feel so grown up, killing noobs or reaching e-sport pro status or what not. It's great that a game should favor a more relaxed style, where you sit back and look at the world and go back to places you like, and feel entitled and entertained in doing so.

ps: Bachus, I think your motto has a spelling mistake in "believe"... just to say (it's a nie one though. Not pretentious but wise :p). Oh, and if you find that EU nice guild, I'd be glad to hear about it. I'm a casual looking for a nice, mature guild that still plays well but not 15 hours a day ;).

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725

Well put.  That's exactly what I enjoy about GW2.  I spent most of my time wondering aimlessly seeing what kind of trouble I could get into.  It's nice not having a need to grind in order to have fun.  For me, the game is all roller coaster and no line. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

I was under the assumption that work was for adults, games were for kids.

I have yet to play a game that made me feel... more adult.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ohpower

ps: Bachus, I think your motto has a spelling mistake in "believe"... just to say (it's a nie one though. Not pretentious but wise :p). Oh, and if you find that EU nice guild, I'd be glad to hear about it. I'm a casual looking for a nice, mature guild that still plays well but not 15 hours a day ;).

Thank you for pointing out, its the burden of us non native English speaking people to make more spelling mistakes then we want ;)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I guess this means Skyrim is a kids game too.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

The only game that is for real men is Hello Kitty Online.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It nurtures your inner child, by being a game you play for fun, while fostering a sense of exploration and immersion in a fantasy world of Arenanet's creation. However, this is not a "kids game". There is much bredth and depth here and while the game offers casuals a lot of benefits, they will need to become better players through ongoing experience playing the game if they hope to partake of content in higher level zones. Even by the time yiu hit the 17-25 zones, the challenge level ramps up noticeably.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by gestalt11

I think you are trying to say it lets you be child-like rather than childish.

I said it was a kids game, not that i was going to act childish.  

Its just that to many people on these boards take their gaming way to serious.  I just want to have fun.

(On top of that i do have a fetish for game design/ or anything with design and  how to imp¨rove on that, i nurture that fetish on these boards)  But when ingame i am actually a very nice and helpfull chatty chap. 

• Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Its just that to many people on these boards take their gaming way to serious.  I just want to have fun.

(On top of that i do have a fetish for game design/ or anything with design and  how to imp¨rove on that, i nurture that fetish on these boards)  But when ingame i am actually a very nice and helpfull chatty chap. 

When someone says something is a kids game they imply that the game is childish.

However some very good games give you a feeling of being child-like in that they capture a sense of fun, adventure, and wonder.

In english childish is usually a pejorative and child-like is the term used to capture the postive aspects of a child's perspective.  In many other languages these things translate very poorly as the perjorative nature of the word childish is often not nearly so severe in certain contexts, and the term child-like is not used that often in normal english.

The title of the thread will come off to most english speakers as dismissive attack on the game, even though it isn't.

• pixelpenuspixelpenus Member Posts: 1

runnin arround like a lil kid.. no wonder why the todays mmorpg community is a joke.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

yeah, translation is sometimes a mess, without clear context and especially sound and gestures. 

i just checked my dictionary. in german we got at least 2 words: "kindisch" and "kindlich" (kind = child)

sounds similar and both can be translated into childish according to my dictionary. but the meaning is pretty different. the 1st one is either negative. i guess the OP was using the 2nd one.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by BlahTeeb

I was under the assumption that work was for adults, games were for kids.

I have yet to play a game that made me feel... more adult.

You obviously hvan't played Eve...

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    I see where you are coming from but I don't think that "it's a kids game" is the right conclusion, it's a non sequitur. Whilst the game might be "Carefree", some of the environments are certainly not. I also would guess that the sPvP crowd might disagree completely too!
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Yes to me it is. Why?

Because whenever i play games i want to run around carefree and untaught, just as i did in the real world when i was just a kid. This way i get the relaxation and the distraction i need after a hard days of work and worrying.

And i have found GW2 to be particularly good at this, as exploration really gives me that kiddo feeling back. And the character immersion makes sure i feel like being in that other world.

Now all i need is to find a nice guild with chatty helpfull likeminded people on some EU server.

The game makes feel you like a Kid, doesnt mean the game its for Kids/ Kid like, remember boy, your opinion/feeling is not Global.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Serious its not equal to Mature/Adult. You can perfectly have fun without a childish feeling, again dont think that your feelings on games are the "Only" thing

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

title: It's a kid's game

gambit: It's a childish feeling

ACTUAL MEANING: Child-like experience of curiosity and fun... image

Actually my point was proven with most comments..

You all act way to serious, we are talking about a game here, and not something serious as the way we earn our real money.

When playing games, please try to be more like the little kid you once where wandering the world in Awe, instead of the puberal competitive beats most players turn intoo when playing games. 

And you are right, the title was wrong, its should have been about a little kids game instead of just a kids game.

Is it so hard to read a topic instead of just the title?  Or did you only come here to fight with someone that did your favourite game wrong?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Not sure why you associate immersion, exploration and distraction from RL as 'kiddie' or 'childish'.

Those are two separate things.

You perfectly can have 'serious' or 'adult-oriented' game that will be highly immersive, 'making you go to other world' and big on exploration + giving you 'distraction from RL'. 

Exclusively associating those things with 'childish' is just wrong.

I agree that GW2 is a game made also for kids as it is definately a game made for widest audience possible. Both for kids and adults.

But diffrent things make that happen not immersion, exploration or being 'distaction from RL'.

-------

Also associating 'high-competition' with adult games is also false.

Children games and children themself can be as competeteive as adults.

Tbh I would risk that they are MORE competetoive than adults.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Can't say I was a little kid when mmo's first came out since I was in my late 20s so I really can't relate, however I think I know what you mean OP, these type of games bring out the kid in us.

• HellSingsHellSings Member Posts: 185

When playing games, please try to be more like the little kid you once where wandering the world in Awe, instead of the puberal competitive beats most players turn intoo when playing games. 

Is it so hard to read a topic instead of just the title?  Or did you only come here to fight with someone that did your favourite game wrong?

Why? I don't need to play games with my jaw dropped in awe, holding hands with other people. Whats wrong with playing an esport game the way its meant to be played: competitively? You contradict yourself. Its okay for you to disagree with other people, but if someone disagrees with you its not right? I see no relevance whatsoever in enjoying a game and being childish.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

I would say (IMO) that a big chunk of the people, that have extra income for video games, are looking for the casual. Our "generation" grew up on the EQs and perhaps even ultima online. A majority of us now work, have families and have overall matured in some form or another (if not behaviour then hopefully perspective). We innately strive for a casual game because of all the other duties we now have. Ten or twenty years ago I would rush to level not because I was that hard core but because I had the time. If this game is truly casual fun then I think it will garner a big amount of support from people that play video games- at least from the "older guy" perspective.