Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop all this F2P madness...

You people need to realise where all this F2P crap is heading... Its heading to a point where it will make the original point of playing games, for the sake of progressing a character in virtual world, never ever matter again if we support these companies churning out this type of pay model.

I beg you all to think long and hard about how badly the furture of mmo's and gaming in general will be if we end up with a system like xbox uses and you pay for content packs and such... This is a disaster waiting to happen and I urge every single one of you gamers to boy cott any game coming out using the f2p model. You will end up paying more per year to pay to play these games than you ever would just by paying 15/bucks a month... Think about that for a second... That is roughly .50 secnts a day... Are you going to tell me you can't afford to scrounge up .50 cents a day to play a game for hours on end?

I realise Gw2 is coming out and everyone is saying "oh well, Ill just buy the box and never use the cash shop"... That might be the case where you end up grinding gold and trading for gems or cash shop currency but they will make it so you will be grinding insane amounts of time into these games. farming gold to trade for gems.. Trust me, games will not be games anymore.

Most of us play games to acquire loot and play through game content to attain the best gear and viritual characters we can with our time... This newly refined pay model will take all the fun out of games, when I can just buy my progress... How pathetic.. paying for progression in a game. Why bother playing? Maybe I'm getting too old (33) and its the new era of stupid taking over. I just don't get how anyone can not see where this will end up for us, the end users of the games..

I don't know what else to say, and Im certain there is more articulate gamers out there who feel the same way and who also have the foresight to see 5 years down the road when everything is free to play but pay to win...  I'm not supporting guildwars 2 not because of the pay model, but simply because the game is utterly boring. The pay model sealed the deal though as I would have normally bought the box and played for 30 days to see where the game ended up taking me.. but the pay model of pay to win left a sour taste in my mouth. And you can bet your bottom dollar, they will continually add things into that cash shop to milk the end users and after a few months you will be hooked and develop an emotional tie to your guilds and friends, and "oh so and so bought that content pack maybe I should too or I won't be able to play with them.."

I'm telling you guys right now, this will not end well for gamers.... Don't support this garbage.. play the game all you want but don't spend a dime in those shops..

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

No

• urthal22urthal22 Member UncommonPosts: 108

i lol'ed

Stop making wall of text that Steals space from Our beloved Internet !

Its worst than any F2P could do to us

• KaledusKaledus Member Posts: 73

Your logic is pretty flawed for soo many reasons lol. Not going to bother going into the details as it is not worth wasting my time.

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96

'...' is not a valid form of punctuation for ever other sentance. I just stopped reading it....

• zipzapzipzap Member Posts: 123

whats the point of this topic?

that F2P + cashshop = bad?

if thats the case then youre pretty late since there are many games with this feature. even some with subs + cashshop. F2P + cashshop is every popular in asia btw

or is it another post about GW2 cashshop?

then we have enough of them and dont need a new one....

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

For those who can't read.. Don't support free to play, because nothing is free and you will pay more in the long run. You new era of gamers are single handidly destroying mmo's.. Any old school mmo'ers I know for fact would never support this crap.

Btw, I have a great job and could more than afford to pay to win at any game... the point is, whats the point of playing then?

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

And no this is not about gw2.. I mentioned it because thats the game that will truly catalyze triple A mmo's into this f2p model that will destroy mmo gaming forever... GG. You people are very ignorant from what I can tell. This forum has gone down hill majorly since I joined.. Where are all the intelligent gamers hanging out at? It certainly isn't here... Thats a serious question btw.. hook me up with a link..

Originally posted by metatronic

For those who can't read.. Don't support free to play, because nothing is free and you will pay more in the long run. You new era of gamers are single handidly destroying mmo's.. Any old school mmo'ers I know for fact would never support this crap.

Btw, I have a great job and could more than afford to pay to win at any game... the point is, whats the point of playing then?

you are entitled to your own opinion...

but im pretty sure that when subs were first introduced that there were a lot of ppl against that as well... times are changing hopefully not to the worse. hopefully cashshop wont lead to pay2win... and NO NOT ALL GAMES WITH CASHSHOPS ARE PAY2WIN

Again, no. I can do what I want. So yeah...

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

You people need to realise where all this F2P crap is heading... Its heading to a point where it will make the original point of playing games, for the sake of progressing a character in virtual world, never ever matter again if we support these companies churning out this type of pay model.

You mean like when people could pay a sweat shop asian to avoid progression like ... umm from month 1 of the whole MMO genra?

Would rather pay the game company.

Next

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

you're confusing know with think, you think, not know, and FYI, FTP games only cost you money if, you know, you CHOOSE to spend money, hint hint, the keyword is CHOOSE, if someone else CHOOSES (theres that strange word again) to spend money on something, guess what, thats their buisness.

Get over yourself, and stop acting like a spoiled brat, if you dont like it? simply dont play it, acting like your on some sort of holy crusade only makes you look more pathetic.

Its also pretty funny you call other people ignorant, the man coming in and saying everyone who does something i dont like is stupid and wrong, if mmos suck so much, leave, you will not be missed, and FYI, if you want to find a place where intelligent gamers hang out, you will never find it, because it will always be somewhere your not.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

And no this is not about gw2.. I mentioned it because thats the game that will truly catalyze triple A mmo's into this f2p model that will destroy mmo gaming forever... GG. You people are very ignorant from what I can tell. This forum has gone down hill majorly since I joined.. Where are all the intelligent gamers hanging out at? It certainly isn't here... Thats a serious question btw.. hook me up with a link..

i like how your calling ppl stupid because they are doing what they want...

didnt know that i was stupid just because i like GW2 and LoTRo and you dont... 

and i agree this forums has gone downhill but not because ppl are accepting the F2P model

The site is going downhill because people don't agree with him.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I believe he is correct in some cases. I expect there will be a large crash in the MMO market soon. It will not touch the bigger games or the triple A titles, but it will completely wipe out Asain f2p MMO market. It will be very similar to what happened with console games, and will force many new titles with new ideas to flow into the market. B2p will not be that uncommon after the crash, due to the crash forcing some campaniles to adopt a f2p model, similar to what swtor (lol) will do. Games like wow, Tera, rift, will not be that affected... While b2p games like gw2 and all that will have large rise in buyers. But anyway, I believe that the market does need to be cleaned out, and I feel sorry for whoever would be affected by it, but it must happen sooner or later.
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I have played lots of f2p mmos without spending any money. Why do the f2p hates always think that no one can control how much money they will spend in the cash shop?

And btw many f2p are not p2w. You think LoL is p2w?. Only very few thinks GW2 is p2w.

Edit: dont you have to buy the wow pandara expantion if you want to play that with you friends?

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Most of us play games to acquire loot and play through game content to attain the best gear and viritual characters we can with our time... This newly refined pay model will take all the fun out of games, when I can just buy my progress... How pathetic..

Can, as in, you chose to, as in, its your own fault, if you dont have the willpower to not buy something ina  cash shop guess whos problem that is? heres a hint, starts with a y, and ends with an ours.

Originally posted by Nasa

I have played lots of f2p mmos without spending any money. Why do the f2p hates always think that no one can control how much money they will spend in the cash shop?

And btw many f2p are not p2w. You think LoL is p2w?. Only very few thinks GW2 is p2w.

Because they are fools who think because they have zero willpower ev eryone else does too.

Lotro is another example of a game that isnt p2w, honestly if you need to spend money on anything more than quest packs in lotor you need to learn to play.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

I won't be calling myself the most intelligent gamer (altough i am pretty s.m.r.t).

But as an old school gamer i do feel ya, games has become a multi-million dollar industry and its not about the actual games anymore for most company's.

I have been saying this for years.....80% of the people on these forums want games that are free, but when a game  company tells you to buy their game while its still in beta (like ALL games are doing these days) people just whip out the good old credit card just to be able to TEST a game. (see how many threads there are about people wanting their money back after beta....RLY, look it up....it's alot).

Some games (not calling it by name) even have purchase price + sub + MT even if the MT are only for cosmetics.....its not ok imho to buy and pay sub and on top of that having to pay my cool glasses or hat with real cash again.

But modern gamers want it that way, so i dont think things will change soon for the better, only for worse just because people will buy just about anything when they see ONE flashy movie.

But hey, if people want to spend their money on this kinda fluf ingame (that should already be included in the sales price of the game imho) then there is nothing we can do about it......so as long as it works for the big company's they will keep feeding us these games.

Me and you dont seem to support these kinda games m8, but we are a rare breed (kinda like mmoRPG dino's).

ps: tbh, i am going to play GW2 because there is not a game that can compete with this one at this time......but this is the only non-subbed game i have and prolly ever will play.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

P2W isn't meant for normal players.   It is a niche,  product that is designed for whales and leeches.    

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Didnt read all your post but..

F2P should go away and cash shops should follow.. they are both a big bane on MMORPGs...

Originally posted by Caldrin

F2P should go away and cash shops should follow.. they are both a big bane on MMORPGs...

Well mmorpgs would disappear as well.

Perhaps WoW would still be around.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

no m8 wow would be gone too (it started this cash shop with their pet's and 20$ mounts).

• natonnnatonn Member UncommonPosts: 21

F2P has its place but it shouldn't be the go to.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I beg you all to think long and hard about how badly the furture of mmo's and gaming in general will be if we end up with a system like xbox uses and you pay for content packs and such... This is a disaster waiting to happen and I urge every single one of you gamers to boy cott any game coming out using the f2p model. You will end up paying more per year to pay to play these games than you ever would just by paying 15/bucks a month... Think about that for a second... That is roughly .50 secnts a day... Are you going to tell me you can't afford to scrounge up .50 cents a day to play a game for hours on end?

I realise Gw2 is coming out and everyone is saying "oh well, Ill just buy the box and never use the cash shop"... That might be the case where you end up grinding gold and trading for gems or cash shop currency but they will make it so you will be grinding insane amounts of time into these games. farming gold to trade for gems.. Trust me, games will not be games anymore.

Most of us play games to acquire loot and play through game content to attain the best gear and viritual characters we can with our time... This newly refined pay model will take all the fun out of games, when I can just buy my progress... How pathetic.. paying for progression in a game. Why bother playing? Maybe I'm getting too old (33) and its the new era of stupid taking over. I just don't get how anyone can not see where this will end up for us, the end users of the games..

I don't know what else to say, and Im certain there is more articulate gamers out there who feel the same way and who also have the foresight to see 5 years down the road when everything is free to play but pay to win...  I'm not supporting guildwars 2 not because of the pay model, but simply because the game is utterly boring. The pay model sealed the deal though as I would have normally bought the box and played for 30 days to see where the game ended up taking me.. but the pay model of pay to win left a sour taste in my mouth. And you can bet your bottom dollar, they will continually add things into that cash shop to milk the end users and after a few months you will be hooked and develop an emotional tie to your guilds and friends, and "oh so and so bought that content pack maybe I should too or I won't be able to play with them.."

I'm telling you guys right now, this will not end well for gamers.... Don't support this garbage.. play the game all you want but don't spend a dime in those shops..

Most new P2P games have itemshops as well, that is where the true madness is, the publishers want to both eat the cake and keep it.

I played GW1 for 5 years, never felt the need to buy any junk there, itemshops only truly get annoying in games like *Allods and EQ2 where you more or less have to buy stuff to get anywhere.

I have bought GW2 but I wont buy any crap in it either, because I don´t relly see why I should. If they start to sell stuff I must have I will be gone in a second but B2P with a cosmetic itemshop is actually a pretty sweet deal. GW1 is still the most value I have gotten out of a online roleplaying game ever.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

No only the shit clones would vanish..

Anything any good would be just fine..

• WagrumWagrum Member Posts: 56

I kind of agree with the OP.

I can't stand Cash Shops, and in games like Allods and Runes of Magic if you wanted to do any end game content it would cost you more in the cash shop than it would to pay a normal subscription.

And LOTRO is really only free until level 25 or so, then you will need to pay just to be able to quest in areas beyond that point. (Yes you can grind hard for Turbine Points, but seriously, who does that?)

However, that being said, if the cash shop is only selling cosmetic and other non gamebreaking stuff, then I don't mind as much. Paying for extra character slots, server transfers, or character renames is okay too.