Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Edgar Allen Poe Meets Animal Crossing

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Ever wanted to play an MMO that somehow manages to combine aspects of Edgar Allen Poe's work with Animal Crossing? If your interest is piqued so far you'll want to read on for our full preview of Salem for all the details!

Players will be able to cooperate with or irritate each other as much as they like with Salem, an upcoming crafting-based MMO being co-developed by Bjorn Johannessen and Fredrik Tolf, Creative Director and Chief Engineer of Seatribe, and published by Paradox Interactive.  Salem is a free-to-play, browser-based sandbox MMO set in colonial America, with a huge (25x25km2) game world and a graphical style that is a "cross between Edgar Allen Poe and Animal Crossing."  Players take the role of intrepid colonists who can go out into the world to gather and craft, progress in skills, build homesteads and towns, and work together or wreak havoc on each other.  I got to sit down with Bj?rn and take a look at Salem this past week, and was intrigued by the amount of depth and polish that the game has to offer even in its current closed beta build.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Salem: Edgar Allen Poe Meets Animal Crossing.

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Really really want a Salem account or code. Have rare league of legend skins codes available if trading is allowed?

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

seems really intresting - just too bad you can buy in-game "silver" with real money - kinda defies the point of playing for me...

Just my 2 cents...

• SKnight2001SKnight2001 Member Posts: 2

Can't wait to give this a shot.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

It will be fun until a group of gankers comes by and puts you in rebirth mode or could be just a bear chasing you when your internet goes south for a bit.  There is nothing fun about permadeath.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Ozmo, those who read the article will recall that npc animals will only knock you out, not kill you.

• komadkomad Member Posts: 5

Yeah, unfortunately Salem currently lacks content massively. If one wants to see a game like this done well they should reffer themselves to Haven and Hearth, the developers former game of same style.

On another node about the raiders: It's true, I lived in a village and we slaughtered everyone we met untill the beta population hit 50 steady players. There's definitely need for a bit of new stuff to keep the poor dying people interested.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

has any player became a witch yet ?? because that part of the game sounds cool

flying around on your brooom while people trying to hunt you and find your witch's house

Witchcraft isn't implemented yet unfortunately.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

wonder what spells a witch will get

lure you into the wilds then boil you up in her stew pot ..would be cool if witch's could build evil thing threwout the world

place squonk nests ect

build evil altars that harm people

That's an excellent question. So far it seems like most of the announced spells are regarding the collection of "numen points" , which the witch will need to do stuff like fly on her broom etc.

This involves cursing work objects such as sawblocks etc. making the drain of stamina higher, while simultaneously gathering Numen for the witch. I've also heard tales of being able to "curse" the livestock of villagers, making them produce blood for the villagers, and milk for the witch instead.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

It will be fun until a group of gankers comes by and puts you in rebirth mode or could be just a bear chasing you when your internet goes south for a bit.  There is nothing fun about permadeath.

You clearly didn't read the article.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    I think I will try this out. Not sure I like the idea of my stuff getting trashed when I am offline. Even Minecraft servers let you protect your stuff, but I guess I will find out, eh?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

There's some defenses that work quite well to detter raiders, but nothing that will keep a determined group out for long (more than hours). This goes both ways though, it's a lot easier avenging your fallen comrades by force summoning the perps in this game.

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19

Lol

I think a couple people might disagree. Clearly I am not alone in finding this gamestyle more intriguing.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Considering I live in the RL Salem Massachusetts, I have been dying for a beta key. *yearn*
  • ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264

lolz wimp...you hide behind yer safe WoW ways real men put it all on the line and take it all when it counts....perma death is for the elite...all other go play yer GW2 childsplay

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

While the game sounds intriguing the pvp will kill it...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Scypheroth

lolz wimp...you hide behind yer safe WoW ways real men put it all on the line and take it all when it counts....perma death is for the elite...all other go play yer GW2 childsplay

Better hope the crafting is phenomenal, because this is the other type of player that the game will draw.  

It's got an interesting approach, and it will be fun to see if they can come up with systems that will result in a fun game for enough players.    

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

This looks pretty cool if done right.  Perma-death always keeps things interesting, but afraid of Goon Squad showing up with 10 million people and you never ever having a chance.

Still looks interesting, might check it out if it isn't expensive to buy.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

While the game sounds intriguing the pvp will kill it...

Don't think so. DayZ has more dangerous pvp and you can die from a lot more different types of things besides pvp, and yet it thrived.

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

Some interesting comments. Let's just say that I've been playing Haven & Hearth off and on for two years now. In all that time, I've been killed once by another player (was start of the world and everyone was racing to find secure, well supplied areas) and only had a claim broken into a couple of times. In all those times, nothing much was lost that didn't take me only a couple of days to replace. The loss of my silkworm farm and good chickens were the exceptions and the biggest loss and hardest to replace. The community was usually generous enough that anyone that had been raided could get a leg back up and get a few better quality replacements for free. (A few of the goons were some of the best supporters of the game... damn, I hate besmirching their rep like that, but it is what it is. ;) )

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

I don't understand permadeath in an MMO.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Real men dont think that playing a god dam video game makes them somehow tougher.

Oh and real men dont say that they are real men and have an elitist attitude about it.

• FurankuFuranku Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by austriacus

Real men dont think that playing a god dam video game makes them somehow tougher.

Oh and real men dont say that they are real men and have an elitist attitude about it.

^ good comment.

-Regarding my thoughts which no one cares to hear: Perma Death? Whatever, Item Malls? Whatever, RMT ? Who cares?

People will always find shit to comlain about regardless. I'm sorry but compaines gotta make money to keep games live, that is what RMT and Items Malls are for, you don't like people have an advange over you ? Buy Stuff? Don't want to buy Stuff get better at the game and be more skillful. Now my rant about pvp

Ultima Online said it best "Whats wrong witha little griefing" exactly, pvp creates a gameplay for poeple who are not good at crafting or have the nack for "hunting" stuff for items. It provides a way for gamers who lack in those fields to gain items for others hard work. Also Pvp'er have it hard too, we have to get our skills up, knowledge of the game up and then we gotta find people to kill. So its a nice cycle of life. ^_^ kill stuff that give better loot.  Running Away is a SKILL! :)

• Kykyryz-aKykyryz-a Member Posts: 113

They said game will be out in second half of 2012  waiting for it to try  :) but  no sign of open beta still :(