Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to try the game, but don't have 50 to put into a risk.

As title says, want to try this game and play b/c it sounds like a wicked game. However don't have 50 to throw at a game i know nothing about. Any one wanr to help or is there a trial? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Trials don't usually come until around the 3-6 month mark i think.  Allows things to stabilise a bit.  They will likely have some form of buddy invite system before that(if not already).

• Munkyman1Munkyman1 Member Posts: 221
    Lol silly...not a matter of having 50 its matter of sending 50 to funcom on goodwill. Was hoping wAs a way to try b4 buy. Thank you for the snarky comment toad.
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Trials don't usually come until around the 3-6 month mark i think.  Allows things to stabilise a bit.  They will likely have some form of buddy invite system before that(if not already).

Good point, play it chill until then. Thank you!
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Munkyman1
    Lol silly...not a matter of having 50 its matter of sending 50 to funcom on goodwill. Was hoping wAs a way to try b4 buy. Thank you for the snarky comment toad.

Goodwill?

Buy it or don't, there is no goodwill involved in this decision. God I miss the days when players just bought a game and then regreted it afterwards if they disliked it. Now everyone expects to be able to try games for free before they buy, which (frankly) is utterly absurd.

Times have changed, and not for the better.

Originally posted by Kost

Goodwill?

Buy it or don't, there is no goodwill involved in this decision. God I miss the days when players just bought a game and then regreted it afterwards if they disliked it. Now everyone expects to be able to try games for free before they buy, which (frankly) is utterly absurd.

Yea the good old days of buyers remorse...gee i miss those days too (spaces out into daydream). Are you mentally inept or senile? Who the hell would prefer buyer remorse over try then buy. Shit you buy a car w/o driving it first? Buy a home w/o seeing it? Even try phones before buying...none of this is new. Lol you try to sound older, and wiser with your words, but in reality your words make no sense and show how out of touch you are with reality. There is no concievable way a buy before trial model works in the customer favor over a trial then buy. Basically your an idiot...
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

When did one begin comparing the purchase of a game as a risk/reward scenario?

If 50 dollars is that important to you and fraught with such economic peril I hazard to say there may be things of higher priority you should be directing it toward.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

wait, i'm confused...you want us to give you 50 bucks so you can buy a video game?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

the guy is not wrong for wanting to try before he buys you guys should just get over and leave your snarky remarks at the door. I wish there was more free trials in games nowadays becaue i can think of so many crap games like tera and rift i wish to god i never wasted my time on back before the trials. Triple A devs make money off the idiot hype that releases with every single game that comes out from boards like this one and people cannot even see an honest thread about pro's and con's of any game. Why do you think so many people are getting pissed off that they have to spend 100s of dollars a year on games that just take up space on their computer or hit the uninstall bin within a week of playing it? I know I am and you can hardly see how good a game is anymore from vids because sites like this give unrealistic reviews of every game that releases.

Poster if you like shoot em up zombies and monsters you will enjoy the secret world if you like open ended skills and builds however you want you should give it a shot but personally I cancelled my account because the pvp is horrible and the skill wheel is full of filler over shadowing about 20 good skills even though people are going to tell me im wrong and i just dont know how to play. Im not a stupid gamer i do my research and i would honestly tell you to look past the people that are still in the Savage coast and kingsmouth and look for opinions towards end game because i personally felt no reason to stay . There is a 24 hour trial i think see if someone has one left to give you.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

wait, i'm confused...you want us to give you 50 bucks so you can buy a video game?

Ya, that's what I got from what the OP was saying, hehe. But seriously, if you know nothing about the game go and find out about it. There are tons of videos on YouTube and written articles about the game already, stop being so lazy.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

For christ sake, the game has been out for a month now. There's lots of data on the net to help you make a well informed decision. Gameplay video and review etc etc, if this seem too overwhelming to you, do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. As a lot of the quest require a lot more effort and brain power than this.

Apparently clarification is needed on these forums. Was looking for:

A. More information from a player who has actually played the game.
    B. If there is a trial/buddy thingy.

Things I was not expecting:

A. Rude comments and nasty attitudes.
    B. People acting like they are better than other people because they dont mind throwing money at something they know nothing about.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Apparently clarification is needed on these forums. Was looking for: A. More information from a player who has actually played the game. B. If there is a trial/buddy thingy. Things I was not expecting: A. Rude comments and nasty attitudes. B. People acting like they are better than other people because they dont mind throwing money at something they know nothing about.

what does any of that matter, if you dont have the money to buy the game?

Originally posted by cronius77

the guy is not wrong for wanting to try before he buys you guys should just get over and leave your snarky remarks at the door. I wish there was more free trials in games nowadays becaue i can think of so many crap games like tera and rift i wish to god i never wasted my time on back before the trials. Triple A devs make money off the idiot hype that releases with every single game that comes out from boards like this one and people cannot even see an honest thread about pro's and con's of any game. Why do you think so many people are getting pissed off that they have to spend 100s of dollars a year on games that just take up space on their computer or hit the uninstall bin within a week of playing it? I know I am and you can hardly see how good a game is anymore from vids because sites like this give unrealistic reviews of every game that releases.Poster if you like shoot em up zombies and monsters you will enjoy the secret world if you like open ended skills and builds however you want you should give it a shot but personally I cancelled my account because the pvp is horrible and the skill wheel is full of filler over shadowing about 20 good skills even though people are going to tell me im wrong and i just dont know how to play. Im not a stupid gamer i do my research and i would honestly tell you to look past the people that are still in the Savage coast and kingsmouth and look for opinions towards end game because i personally felt no reason to stay . There is a 24 hour trial i think see if someone has one left to give you.

Thank you! Ill look into it this 24 hr thing, and see if I can dig up a recent video to see some of the stuff your talking about. Don't get into a lot of game news and junk or follow a lot of games so the info was great.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Apparently clarification is needed on these forums. Was looking for: A. More information from a player who has actually played the game. B. If there is a trial/buddy thingy. Things I was not expecting: A. Rude comments and nasty attitudes. B. People acting like they are better than other people because they dont mind throwing money at something they know nothing about.

I see your post count, so you should have known better.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

This forum has thousands of posts full of feedback from "player who has actually played the game".  What things not covered in those posts would you like to know?

If you like, name all the MMOs that you've purchased and regretted after.   Chances are, I've played most of them and based on this info, i can tell you whether you'll regret buying TSW or not.

There is a 1 day buddy trial that some players received to hand out.   People only got a single invite and most have already given it out.  but there is always a chance that someone has one.   Based on your attidude, i doubt most people would waste their key on you.   But hey, the world is made of nicer people than i.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

what does any of that matter, if you dont have the money to buy the game?

Lol rather then giving game info from a player, or info if there is a trial...people want to pick apart a post amd get what they want out of it. Would it help if i had worded it like this, " not wanting to throw 50 away on a game i know nothing about, anyone willing to help with info about game or if there is a trial?" hope that took some of the blood out of water for the sharks
    Originally posted by arieste

This forum has thousands of posts full of feedback from "player who has actually played the game".  What things not covered in those posts would you like to know?

If you like, name all the MMOs that you've purchased and regretted after.   Chances are, I've played most of them and based on this info, i can tell you whether you'll regret buying TSW or not.

There is a 1 day buddy trial that some players received to hand out.   People only got a single invite and most have already given it out.  but there is always a chance that someone has one.   Based on your attidude, i doubt most people would waste their key on you.   But hey, the world is made of nicer people than i.

SWToR was a bust, not mmo but Diablo 3 lame, Tera gameplay felt off, Rift felt stale. Hope that list helps.
  • BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Tirals only seem to give new players an impression based of what usually is the part of the game they spend the most time on...early game.

Trials for mmorpgs...i dunno...gives you the impression of early game only when most care about endgame.

Either way i do agree with both sides of the argument.  Sure let people try it, but if spending $50 on a game you wont play for more than a week hurst your wallet and pisses you off...get a new hobby.

I too miss the old days where people cared more about games they bought an liked rather than games they bought and shelved after a day...in fact i never rememberd being pissed that i only played ninteno games between 4 days and 2 weeks.  But that might be before we enterd the "entitled age"...game must be free but also entertain for 5 years + and must retain 1mil+ subs or its "FAIL FAIL FAIL LOL"...gonna suck when i really get "old" im already getting pissed at the way society is degrading.

• CyflymCyflym Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Kost

Goodwill?

With all the unfounded hype and hate, paid reviews etc. how is anyone supposed to know what's true and what's lies?

The only real way to find out if you like a game is to try it yourself.

With your attitude you are part of the problem the gaming industry has.

Buying every shit like a braindead zombie (commonly called fanboy now i think) causes the shallow crap that is produced.

Paying for a product which you then maybe throw away a day later still means money for the producer.

Which translates into: "Good job give me more of that!"

So to take your words:

"God I miss the days when players just informed themself if a game was good and then didn't purchase if they disliked it. Now everyone blindly pays to be able to try games, which (frankly) is utterly absurd.

Times have changed, and not for the better."

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

The game has 150-250 hours of content. That's a reasonable amount for $50. Watch the online reviews of the game to see what you think. Metacritic has this game as one of the highest user-rated MMORPGs, ever, so clearly some people have good things to say about it. The game came out a month ago, so there will be no free trial yet. But if you have a friend that plays, try to get them to give you their buddy key (I think everyone who buys TSW gets 1 buddy key for a 24 hours free trial).

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

you can find it for less than 50 now. I need something to tide me over till GW2 releases so I did a google search. Found some online places selling TSW for about $35 USD del;ivered, stil fence sitting though. I did not enjoy it much during the beta weekend, so I am trying to decide if it is worth 35 bucks for a month

I miss DAoC

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

Wow, so many funcom shills here it's crazy.

Isn't he allowed to try it before he buys it? In this tight economical situation, $50 can be quite

an amount.

To OP, I guess your best bet is to either wait for the trial/buddy key thing and read alot on what

haters and fanbois have to say. While they are extremely biased, they usually contain some truth

to it. Also, check a lot of gameplay videos from people that is not beta footage.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by BigRock411

Either way i do agree with both sides of the argument.  Sure let people try it, but if spending $50 on a game you wont play for more than a week hurst your wallet and pisses you off...get a new hobby.

Hobby, who said anything about a hobby?  You think a game can survive on a few hobbyists who throw money out the window on crap they know nothing about? 

Every mmo should have a demo or trial on release day, if not a week or two beforehand.  No excuses.