Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 BWE 3 Final Event: Hunger Royale (The Hunger Games)

jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33

I think it has so much potential, especially if it has an instanced map for itself like WvW.

You could have openworld PvP in it, if they could make it that each person you encounter is an enemy.

If you played it in the BWE 3, what do you think of it?

Can you imagine this beeing a feature that could be added post launch or in future expansion?

This entire game has just sooo much potential (thinking about BWE2/ BWE3 final events)

What do you think of the BWE 3 final event?

TotalBiscuit talking about BWE 3 Final Event

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Well it looked kind of boring to me. Did not play it, was sleeping. So cant really say much more then what I saw from that video.

Cant wait for what they come up with for holiday events in GW2. They had pretty good ones in GW1 and that didnt even have a good system for it. 

Pretty sure that they do these events to get some feedback to prepare for the holiday events they are working on. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by andre369

Well it looked kind of boring to me. Did not play it, was sleeping. So cant really say much more then what I saw from that video.

Cant wait for what they come up with for holiday events in GW2. They had pretty good ones in GW1 and that didnt even have a good system for it. 

Pretty sure that they do these events to get some feedback to prepare for the holiday events they are working on. 

Have about the same feeling, it didn't look all that awesome but I have to say I'm somewhat impressed with the entire thing including the previous one in terms of how robust and easy to use their event making tools must be to slap such a thing together for a BWE final

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I'm impressed with what their design tools can do for evernts, but I didn not enjoy that event. There were a number of dumb exploits/dugs and for their limited use, most of the attacks did lousy damage.

The best way to stay alive was avoid everyone and scavenge for food. Which I suppose matched the Hunger Games, but that's not exactly fun gaming.

Still, it was a neat idea and it shows that their design tools have a great deal of flexibility.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dlld

Have about the same feeling, it didn't look all that awesome but I have to say I'm somewhat impressed with the entire thing including the previous one in terms of how robust and easy to use their event making tools must be to slap such a thing together for a BWE final

yea last BWE event ender was better but it does give promise they can run a lot of these fun little events once the game launches:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ya, I missed out on this one as well.

I'm not sure if I would've enjoyed it or not, but I really like the idea of it. I think it was a pretty cool idea for an event. I also don't understand all the complaining over it.

I hope they keep doing crazy / random events like this. I definitely enjoyed them in GW1. It's amazing how much they add to the game.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The idea was good and I'm sure it was better to play than it was to watch. it was not fun to watch at all. I hope it's added permanently.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I thought it was great.

I think  it could have been improved by making sure that enemies had to come out of hiding more. Maybe make it a requirement at some point to build a fire to warm up that shows smoke in the sky or something. By the end, you had people just hiding in a remote locations with rations that respawn to keep them alive.

Perhaps once the time ran out, they could have also made it a free for all to the death isntead of having like 5 people from one team stay alive. It would force those final people to turn on each other. I think that would make it more fun. 

• Its a great game mode was a lot of fun and very different from typical sPvP type stuff.  It was kind of strange as an "event" in that is was really match play.

They should use it an outside the box sPvP thing.  Something elective.  Also the temas were like 36 per side so it was like 150 or so people in an entire PvE zone.  So its much much bigger than a normal sPvP.

It was like a 4 man Alterac Valley on survival mode.  Definitely something they should explore more.  I guess in the end there are so many per team and the zone so large that queueing people up for it fast via some sPvP type thing might be hard unless its super popular.

• AishiramiAishirami Member Posts: 47

This was the only one of the BWE final events that I was able to participate in, but I really enjoyed it. But I have to admit, I had a bit more fun durring the practice than the actual thing. I was just running around having fun smacking people with my rifle, since I ran out of bullets. Dropping explosive rations near real ones and stalking the spot was especially hilarious, since eventually someone would take it and explode, at which time I would ambush and shoot them to death.... but yeah that is besides the point xD. I enjoyed being thrown into an unknown world, told the very basics, and forced to defend myself against opposing teams. The learn on the fly feeling was suprisingly enjoyable.

I think it would have worked better if people would respawn as people.... not annoying robots, though 1 shotting 5 in a row is a little entertaining... only a little. The area would need a serious scale-down as well IMO, but I really do hope they make this a perminent game mode to choose from like WvW. I was very suprised when I found out that the event was so creative, as I have never seen any other game pull off an event that actually changed the gameplay itself. 

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

It could use some tweaking, but the event was a huge amount of fun for me; one of the most fun things I've done in an MMO in a long time (you know, aside from the rest of GW2 ^ ^). It's certainly not very fun to watch, but once you play it and know how it works, it starts getting very intense and nervewracking very quickly.

At the start, I ran around with a group trying to kill people, but I found out very quickly that that was only going to get me killed. And I was right. Just ater I left my squad, a Blue squad turned the corner and everyone was wiped out on both sides as I watched. So I broke away and made off on my own. For a while I roamed the land, hugging trees and bushes to keep hidden, collecting all the food I could. After I had quite a lot, I decided to hide and make my stand.

I found a medium-sized building with a semi-reliable food source, and I hid on a bridge/balcony thing that was someone secret and hid me quite well. I camped out here, and was mostly safe. A few other people came along, but I sniped them out with one or two shots or let them take my trapped food and die. Pretty soon, I was the last member of the Green team vs. 1 Blue and 3 Red. Then the Blue and Red met, and Red won. Now it was me against the Red team. 

Unfortunately, here is where I mention a pretty big problem with the event: if you enter in a party, you can be split up between teams and still see the location of yuor other party members on the map.

Yup, you guessed it. My girlfriend was on the Red team, and she was out for blood. I saw the Reds heading toward me in the distance, and got ready to fight. I set out the last of my food traps, grabbed some last second ammo and cloaks, and got ready to fight. I managed to snipe one of the weaker 3 out before they even knew where I was, as he was low on health due to lack of food. My GF came right for me, and we traded fire for a while, but I finally took her down. Then I turned to the last guy, who was mounting the ledges to get at me. I lined up a killer shot... and died of hunger. Oops.

Lesson learned, eat or die.

Was tons of fun.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I'd love to have this a weekend or a one-a-month event in the actual live game.  I doubt is be a mini-game being accessable at any time, because it wouldn't work and you couldn't gather the players enough to do it properly.  If it were a sponsored event that A.Net touted at specific times with some sort of rewards and announced winners, those events would have more particiaption that would fill it properly.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It was actually quite fun.

But most important part is that Arenanet has shown what they can do, and i am pretty sure that these events will come to the game with huge diversity and on a temporary base, (to much at the same time would strangle them all to death) 

But will it be for free, or willit be paid content?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I had a blast playing Hunger Royale. I noticed a lot of people didn't understand the concept though as they ran off in a huge group to starve to death. I hung out in a dense part of the jungle grabbing rations and trapping and sneaking up on others to kill them while they were weak for their supplies.

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

I like the name "Hunger Royale," and how it seems intended to highlight how the Hunger Games was pretty much exactly the same as Battle Royale.

• ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

I kicked myself all the next two days, till I got caught back up on my sleep. (It started at 1 a.m.) where I live.

It was not worth staying up for.

This was the only BWE I was able to participate in, and for some reason none of the DEs I hit had any of the huge bosses they like to show in the videos, so I was really hoping they would bring one or two out for the final event.

I was pretty dissappointed when it turned out the devs simply slacked off and made it a PVP event where the players provide the content.

If I had known it was going to be such a let down, I would have used that last hour to explore etc.

A pvp scenario where the weapons are weak, the ammo is minimla, and your health decreases if you don't eat some food is not my idea of fun.  Some one at Arenanet has a Dayz envy thing going on. 

The only thing I liked was how they spawned a few mystery boxes just before the event that caused different morphs if you 'used' it.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

It simply shows that Arenanet have in mind some different pvp options & scenarios besides structured PvP & WvWvW.

We´ll surely see more of this in the game.

My Asura during "Hunger Royale Event"

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

The event was certainly more interesting if you had friends around. I also feel sorry for the people who died almost instantly and got robotted.

I had some amount of fun in the end event but I did feel it dragged on a little too long towards the end of the match. In a more confined area (not too confined so that they keep the sense of OMG WHERE ARE THEY) this would be a pretty fun activity.

I had issues initially learning the gist of what was going on but eventually figured it out a little too late.

I don't think it was worth losing sleep over though XD What I do feel is that Anet was just showing off their programming capability. If they can make something like this within a month or two then we should be prepared to see a TON of changes coming to GW2 after launch.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Being thrown into the game without actually reading through the rules, I was a bit too careless and ran out of lives which ended up leaving me as a robot. Found that to be boring so I ended up leaving and going back to play the PvE.  I think the game would be fine but the map area was a bit too big for my tastes making it alot of running around. I blame the lack of knowledge (my fault) for spoiling my fun and probably alot of others.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Magnetia

The event was certainly more interesting if you had friends around. I also feel sorry for the people who died almost instantly and got robotted.

I had some amount of fun in the end event but I did feel it dragged on a little too long towards the end of the match. In a more confined area (not too confined so that they keep the sense of OMG WHERE ARE THEY) this would be a pretty fun activity.

I had issues initially learning the gist of what was going on but eventually figured it out a little too late.

I don't think it was worth losing sleep over though XD What I do feel is that Anet was just showing off their programming capability. If they can make something like this within a month or two then we should be prepared to see a TON of changes coming to GW2 after launch.

I think a better fix would have been to keep the large open world (this gives a sense of adventure), but include limitations that both Battle Royale and the Hunger Games had. In Battle Royale, certain areas of the map were made unexplorable by punishment of death, whereas in the Hunger Games, rewards in the starting area and scripted and controlled events drove players toward each other.

I would love if they implemented a solution like this ^ ^

• AishiramiAishirami Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by khamul787

I think a better fix would have been to keep the large open world (this gives a sense of adventure), but include limitations that both Battle Royale and the Hunger Games had. In Battle Royale, certain areas of the map were made unexplorable by punishment of death, whereas in the Hunger Games, rewards in the starting area and scripted and controlled events drove players toward each other.

I would love if they implemented a solution like this ^ ^

Oooh, I really like this idea, since the only issue I had with the event was finding opponents to fight. If there were things going on to draw everyone into a central point eventually, then I think it would be so much more fun.

Also, I wonder how many people knew they could just relog and be back to normal after turning into a robot...

And I think adding this game style as one of the optional PvP modes would be a great idea. They would have sPvP, WvWvW, and then Survival. (Seems both a vague and accurate description of how the event worked.)

I would enjoy a change of style every once in a while personally, and they could set it up simular to the way WvW works, but maybe a bit more simplified, and shorter rotation periods. (Though I am pretty sure if they did this, a ton of people would compare it, or claim, it's some rip-off of some other mmo's content...)

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

It was the only BWE event I was in, and thought it was rather boring in execution but an interesting concept nontheless. Since I have not seen the Hunger Games yet at that  time, I had no idea what I should be doing - staying alone, hiding, collecting rations, avoiding combat. Instead I tried to stay in group and of course got zerged which was not fun. But then I did not expect we would get an event that needed us to stay away from the action, instead of an action packed one. So it failed as an event, but as a new PvP or WvW mode this has a lot of potential.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• hundejahrehundejahre Member Posts: 339

Was neat that they did it, but I didn't really care for it. Was kind of boring and I was annoyed I couldn't port out/leave. I was one of the final survivors at the end, but I cheated, which makes me think the other survivors did too (using an illusion potion and then clicking it off brought you back as a player and not a robot).

Still, I like that they could come up with these sort of things almost on the fly, it makes me think there could be some interesting times ahead.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

IMO the Hunger Royale paled in comparison to BWE2's finale event.  But it looks like a bunch of people had a good time with it so not a total loss Anet!  :)

Having said that, I think the events they have been doing are genius at their core and I hope they regularly do those types of events after release.  The idea behind them is great even if not every event is a hit with everyone.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I thought it was a pretty neat idea and was excited after loading through the portal.  The execution quickly left me bored, as there was too much running and I never seemed to find rations.  I had a small 1v1 skirmish in the final minutes of the practice session that was really fun, but once the main event started I respawned nearly dead (same health I had at the end of my 1v1 skirmish) so that put a damper on my initial progress.

• ThrashbargThrashbarg Member Posts: 125

There were some glitches (there were in BWE2s finale as well, and BWE1 was just a boss fight) but overall I thought it was really fun and well thought out. There were instructions at the entrance, but a lot of people didn't read them so had a much harder time. Having a horde of robots following me dropping ammo and calling enemies by the end was highly entertaining, I was laughing the whole time.