Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think that Tabula Rasa could or would of made it in todays MMO market?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Yes lol Tabula Rasa is a game I truly miss. I thought about this and I do believe that timing was off for Tabula Rasa if it was a new game on the horizen today would it have what it takes to survive todays market? I say yes after all IMHO I feel that Tabula Rasa concept was well beyond its time. From Combat to Missions and Story line to even collecting logos. The dynamic battle fields AFS and Bane forces are in constant battle with NPC forces warring over control points and bases. Which side controls these areas greatly impacts the players. Losing one of these to the Bane means that the respawn hospital, waypoints, shops, NPCs access, and base defenses are lost and turned to the Bane's advantage.

PVP was grand. Edmund Range was the only implemented map that featured large scale team PvP. Using two sets of local teleporters, players could choose between the blue team or the red team. The map could be accessed via the cellar area and was only accessible to players level 45 and above. The map consisted of several Control Points which each team had to capture.

It is to bad that Richard Garriott and NCsoft could not get along. Oh well what are you thought on this?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

It probably can work as a F2P. However, i highly doubt if they can recup the development budget in today's market no matter what business model they use.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Tabula Rasa, beta 1...yes.

What came after, hell no.

TR was great when it was an action MMO, the "RPG" changes they put in later to slow it down made it the PoS it was released as. Such a shame, I was thinking that someone finally made Half Life Online but instead got stuck with a bad RPG shooter.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Interesting

No.

OK why not ? Intreasted in your thought. TY

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Personaly speaking, I loved the game, but not in a MMORPG sense but more in a fun online fps type of game with rpg elements.

To answer your OP, think it would make it if it was FTP, but then again my my personal opinion is that I feel that most current MMORPG's are already more online combat games with rpg elements. Or else when adding STORY become very limited in freedom.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Yes as free to play , it was fun as hell imo .

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Tabula Rasa had a interesting premise but it lacked a lot in the execution department.  The idea of learning words of power sort of speak that you discovered as you explored the world was interesting.  It's a shame the game never really had a chance to mature into something worthwhile to play.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

As F2P for sure.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Originally posted by Anireth

As F2P for sure.

I agree as it seems to be the thought of others posters. TY

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Isturi

As F2P for sure.

Wonder why it isn't re-released then. Legal issues?

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

It probably can work as a F2P. However, i highly doubt if they can recup the development budget in today's market no matter what business model they use.

this right here.

So much of the budget and the work on it went right to the cutting room floor.  If only all that money had gone into the finished product...

Either way, F2P would have worked, I think.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

The game was great but todays gamers would grind through it's content in 72hrs. It had limited content even for it's day, so with a heavy heart I say no.

• GoddwynnGoddwynn Member Posts: 49

no

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Isturi

As F2P for sure.

Wonder why it isn't re-released then. Legal issues?

Basicly or to my understanding and I could be wrong it would be over Richard Garriott dead body for that thougth to even be entertain. He is basicly gone back to his first love Ultima.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

IF it had continued to have free updates and it had gone free 2 play?

It'd be pretty big right now, I think.  Up there with LOTRO or DDO.

But it was clear that it fell apart internally like a rock band.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I think TR would do very good as F2P title. Heck, AFAIK it did quite well as sub based game too (better than VG for sure ;). The 'only' problem with TR is the reason why they closed it down. To the press they said low subscriptions (75K iirc), but the real reason was that Lord Brittish was leaving NCSoft and TR just didn't fit in NC's stable of MMO's.

Sadly, I discovered TR only 6 weeks before the closing down announcement came, and I missed most of the great things that TR had to offer. But what I did see (up to my level 8 or so) I liked a lot. TR was unique in it's own way and I do miss it.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Could you stick a cash shop onto it? If yes, yes.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Then why don't they sell it instead of letting the game sit there and rot? They could at least get some money for it. More than the ZERO amount they are getting now...

• HallowelHallowel Member Posts: 42

Seeing how the only reason it was shut down was because NCSoft has such a huge market in Korean Games, Tabula Rasa wasn't up to match with their profits from their Korean area games.  So, NCSoft made an executive decision to let it go and focus on their Korean Games, behind Richard Garriots back.  If a mostly North American game company had the title, then I would bet that TR would still be going strong.

People seem to forget or dismiss the fact that NCSoft is actually a south korean game company.  Instead, people assume that the game failed because of gameplay or some other factor when in fact the game "failed" because of Overseas Corporate Greed.

People seem to also dismiss that Richard Garriot was actually forced out of NCSoft Austin.  Richard won a $28 million dollar lawsuit against them for how they forced him out and terminated the game while he was in quarantine for his space flight. NCSoft even forged a letter of resignation on Richard's "behalf" without his knowledge.

Do some research people, before making wild assumtions that "sound good."

~Ra Hallowel

Then why don't they sell it instead of letting the game sit there and rot? They could at least get some money for it. More than the ZERO amount they are getting now...

I assume it is all about pride? I honestly do not know. Good point.

Probably because they have looked at it and decided the amout of effort needed to get it viable for todays market would be better spent on other avenues.

Really though there could be any number of reasons, hell they even may have just forgotten about it completely, at least to the extent of never bringing it up as a proposal to restart.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I'd love to know why anyone would think a game that failed yesterday would suceed today.

MMO gamers are less patient than they used to be. They are less mature than they used to be as well.  They are also more demanding than they used to be.

Why on earth would a game that failed in near record time, in a day when fewer games failed, suddendly work today?

It makes no sense at all. Expecially when you consider just how aweful that game was. It was as shallow as a puddle and deserved everything it got.

Originally posted by Consequence

Snip.

Expecially when you consider just how aweful that game was. It was as shallow as a puddle and deserved everything it got.

So it might work these days then, huzzah!!!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I think it would do pretty well if it was released as a free to play. I still have the copy I won from this site sitting in a box in my garage, I could bust it out and load it up again if it went F2P.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Storm.Storm. Member UncommonPosts: 256

absolutely not