Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survey - After playing, how did GW2 live up to your pre-playtime expectations?

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

So I've seen a lot of posts from people stating that GW2 either exceeded or fell short of their expectations.  I wanted to see how GW2 meshes with the communities expectations in general, so I started this poll.

Feel free to comment on your answer.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I've lost the will and/or desire to play any other MMOs to be honest. The first BWE I was in did that. This last one, even knowing that it'll all be deleted shortly after, I was playing like it's live. Even had a pair of level 28 pants I crafted at the Mystic Forge sitting in the bank, just in case, but I have no idea "in case of what?". They exceeded my expectations months ago to the point I was disappointed that the starter area was made notably easier on the whole, even though I know full well that it's meant to be a "training in GW2 combat" zone and it gets much more difficult later. I expect every mob to be a threat to my existance, basically, and frakking love it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

I voted that is far exceeded my expectations.. the major reason for this is that I have become so jaded regarding games. Every game I get excited over has been a huge disappointment by the first hour played... the longest it took to decide a game just wasn't what it claimed to be was about 15 hrs of gameplay (both Tera and TSW.. and 15 was pushing it for Tera). GW2 has given me that excitment and enjoyment I first got when I played WoW in its open beta and I played WoW until about 1 yr ago.

Right now I am sure someare you are calling me a fanboy out loud and saying that I'm blinded by the hype. Well that is your opinion but it would be an uneducated assumption. I WANTED TSW to be good.. omg I found out about it over 2 yrs ago and signed up for its beta... drooled over what little they put out. Well, I got into the beta VERY early and got a big slap in the face. Got excited over SWTOR and then saw videos and knew it wouldnt do well because of the poor graphics and then found out just how bad it was when my husband got into its beta. Saw Tera.. got excited over it, at least with Tera I found out before I played it how bad it was likely to be and then played it to verify. Only Tera did I find out about GW2(probably about 8 months ago) and watched everything EXPECTING to see a failure.. and kept expecting it to come... and it never did. So now I have played it several times(about a total of over 48 hrs gameplay), still am not disappointed and still cant wait to play it for real(as in permanent characters).

Yes I was nervous at first over the shop, but it really isn't a big deal and I think they did a good job of not making us need the items mixed with enough WANT to make some money.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I liked it well enough to cancel my subscription to another MMO. GWII will be my new home for a year at minimum, maybe longer

I miss DAoC

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I've been really disappointed so far to be honest. I love the graphics and the overall look and feel of the world, but I really don't like how combat feels and I think the way the story is presented is pretty craptastic... especially after how well it was presented in SWTOR. I will certainly play the game when it comes out, but it definitely has not met my expectations thus far.

• cloudvaultercloudvaulter Member UncommonPosts: 25

I had the intention to buy at release but after seeing the game for myself I was very dissappointed.  I was hoping for something-not so Rift like-and unfortunately thats all I kept referencing while playing. The perks are to me just that-perks, and wont stand the test of time. I believe I've been jaded by theme park mmo's - although bright, shiny, and cool looking with great graphics-the substance to continued long term play is not there and the price cannot justify a few months of play only to begin yet again the quest for a true mmo. Not doing that anymore. 

Luckily I beleive I have found a true mmo for myself so the decade long frustration of searching for a good mmo to call home has ended for what I beleive will be for years to come and residing myself to not throw away my money on 1-3 month hail maries has alot to do with it as well.  Many many posts across the boards scream for the community to take a stand by not buying into hyped games-this may not apply to gw2 as it is of much greater quality than most other games-but needless to say I remember when an mmo would captivate a person for years and years and I for one miss that.

• DesolousDesolous Member UncommonPosts: 15

I voted for Meet my expectations, because after being Blown away in the first beta weekend. I expected nothing less from this BWE. Now at the start i was worried because when a game get too hyped people set the bar way too high imo. but knowing that I went in with low expectations to be safe.

All in All I'm Impressed and will be playing come live. heres hoping (we) keep Tarnished Coast the Unoffical RP server.  

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

It fell short of my expectations. I expected a lot more from the DE's to be honest. They ended up seeming like nothing more than chain quests that you automatically receive for being in the right area. It is entirely possible that I just didn't get far enough in my limited play time this weekend to really see the game.

On Friday I spent about 4 hours with the game. I did the intro and then went into the first zone (I was a Norn). I decided to just try to explore and find events or interesting points on the map. I found two events that way. One was to kill some stampeding minotaurs and I don't know what the other one was because I found it right before the zerg completed it. I really didn't find anything particularly interesting exploring other than the various heart quests which I was intentionally avoiding. I logged off disappointed and bored.

On Saturday, I decided to go ahead and do the hearts. This led me to a lot more content. It seems like, at least in the first zone, nearly all of the DE's are tied to the hearts so there isn't much point to exploring. I had much more fun on Saturday running between heart locations and doing the DE's that popped up at each location. That said, it really didn't feel much different than traditional quest hubs. I went to a location, picked up a quest, and then more popped up as long as I stayed at the location. Fairly standard. 

The DE's themselves were disappointing but that was largely because the large numbers of players doing them meant it was nearly impossible to even discern my character in the horde and to identify, target, and attack enemies before the zerg killed them. In addition there really didn't seem to be any tactics or strategy involved in them. It was just get in there and mash buttons. I have heard that the later DE's are much better so I will reserve judgement.

The combat also disappointed. It just didn't feel very responsive or involved. I was still at low level so I can't really judge it too much but it just wasn't enjoyable for the first 10 levels. It also didn't help that most of my fighting ended up in the zerg so I'm not even completely sure what my abilites did because I could rarely see their effect. I'm sure that gets better as you level though.

The artwork and environments were beautiful, especially the city I visited so that was a plus.

I will probably buy the game eventually but I won't be there for launch. Maybe with less people around I can enjoy the leveling more and WvW (which I didn't try) looks great so that will be a reason for me to pick it up down the line. 

TLDR: I didn't hate it but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. 

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

I stopped and lost interest playing any other MMOs after the first BWE......what does that say :p

Best MMO in the market

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I had really high expectations, and the game met my expectations.  The first video game in a long time that I would rate as a solid 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by xalvi

I stopped and lost interest playing any other MMOs after the first BWE......what does that say :p

Best MMO in the market

That will be true as of August 25.

And it will only get better after that

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

It slightly exceeded my expectations, and my expectations were pretty high.  I have some minor complaints about the game, but nothing that will keep me from enjoying it for a long time come the 25th.  Whereas I was disappointed by other recent releases that I'd looked forward to, GW2 is the real deal for me.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I chose the one in the middle.. it met my expectations from what limited time I played..  2 things is has going that I was looking foward to..  "open world" dynamic events that are social..  I really hate instancing.. I was also looking foward to was not paying a monthly sub..  I think games today charge a sub just because they can, without earning it.. 

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463

My main question during the BWE's was, am I having fun? And most of the time the answer was yes. I still plat the original GW on occasion. I read all the hype train's and they ammused me to say the least. Honestly i think every mmo has brought out some aspect of gameplay I enjoyed at 1 point or another.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Met my expectations. May exceed when I get past lvl 10

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

my expectations weren't much, but it greatly exceeded them. It's my new MMORPG home.

There's really not much that i didn;t fall completely in love with here.  I came away feeling really excited for launch, and this month is going to suck for me while I wait!

Also, there has not been a game in a really long time that has made me want to spend money upgrading my computer, but I'll be upgrading on the 8th so I can be ready for launch here. If you knew me, you'd know that says alot about how I feel about this game.

Just a massive kudos to Arenanet on this one.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Tokken

Met my expectations. May exceed when I get past lvl 10

Good point. My experience with the game was on all the races and a lot of classes, but mostly confined to the low levels as well. So while I am excited and loving the game, it could get even better later. Or, as is the case with a lot of recent mmo's, it could take a massive nosedive later as well.

I hope the trend of what I saw continues onward in the game :)

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Rydeson

I think games today charge a sub just because they can, without earning it.. 

I would tend to agree, with the exception of Trion with Rift.  Possibly Funcom (shocker, i know), if they keep their promise of monthly content updates.

Some earn it, some don't.  I certainly don't mind supporting companies that do.  $15~ a month is pocket change for a month of entertainment.  Better than a cash shop imo.

As to the topic @ hand, I've already answered this question in as much detail as I felt comfortable with all the fanatics here.  GW2 did not meet my expectations, which were admittedly fairly high because of the hype.

• AdzijaAdzija Member UncommonPosts: 58

I voted ''exceeded my expectations''.

This was my second BWE and in first I did only PVE and loved it. It would be ''meet my expectations'' now if I didn't decide to give PVP a go at last day of this BWE.

All I can say now I didn't expect it to be so fun. And that goes for both sPVP and WvWvW.

I think when game comes out it's gonna be very hard to decide between PVP or PVE for me.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I kept my expectations in the realm of reality and it met them. What did exceed my expectations was how much fun I had.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Greatly exceeded my expectations..

A great game is a great game and this one is a real gem imho..

As far as longivity goes i believe this game has the right stuff to hold players but only time can give us the real answer..

Playing GW2..

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

i voted exceeded my expectations , cause i find it to be a solid fun game to play , that delivered exactly what i was expecting it to be.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

the game met my expectations but before i buy the game i want to see how the cash shop will effect the game? for that purpose i will wait 6 months

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I expected the game to have good pvp, it didn't let me down. I love the pvp in the game and if I add on top of that what they are doing with pve it exceeded my expectations.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

If the stories were better, it would of exceeded my expectations.  But they're not that great.  Very average.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Mostly exceeded.

The PS quests weren't as deep as I would have liked but still fun. And there are various little performance, balancing, and class mechanic shenanigans, but I expect those things, and expect them to change. The overall game experience is as good as I'd hoped, with many great surprises I hadn't expected.

Mind you, We still haven't seen like....80% of the game. But It's more than enough to give it a try.