Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is the Social Aspect?

1235»

Comments

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I cannot for the life of me find an MMO that is social at all. Sure you have guilds, but EVERY freaking MMO has content that is all soloable besides rading and dungeons. It's a joke. If I wanted to play a solo game I would just go out and buy an RPG and not be playing MMORPGs. Yes there are some social aspects to MMORPGs but what happened to player creativity? Am I the only who misses creating user content?

Does no one remember creating entertainment in older MMOs? No one remebers creating events with other people like creating huge armies to attack the other faction or have mount races and duel events? No one remembers the politics in older MMOs? I guess what I'm complaining about is well... The players in MMOs these days. The creativity and want to interact is gone. What the hell happened?

Heh , the remedy is End of Nations. Sign up for the closed beta and enjoy the epicness. :P   Pre-Ordered the collector's edition after closed beta week end was over, because I did LOVE IT and had the chance of a lifetime to try out a MMO a few months before release , and with the few features being available , I fell in love with the RTS genre again , can't wait as more beta week ends releases , more and more options will become available to play with!  And for a MMORTS entering closed beta 1 , we had a GREAT time blowing ourselves up and checking out all the units.   I'm very pleased with what I've seen thus far! :D 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Scot

You do still get a good social aspect in guilds but thats it.

These days you come on here for the old gaming world social aspect.

Even with guilds it's iffy.  Guilds only become useful at max level if you want to raid.  At low level people come and go so fast that if you're gone for a week you barely reconize your own guild.

For the most part they're just another chat channel.

Of coures they are just chat channels. What else can they be?

like I had pointed out, people do not play games to socialize they do play games however to socially work together on a goal. However although those two things are RADICALLY different and there is a lack of understanding this when talking about the subject.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Even with guilds it's iffy.  Guilds only become useful at max level if you want to raid.  At low level people come and go so fast that if you're gone for a week you barely reconize your own guild.

like I had pointed out, people do not play games to socialize they do play games however to socially work together on a goal. However although those two things are RADICALLY different and there is a lack of understanding this when talking about the subject.

I would debate how much "social" do you need to co-op on a goal. A LFD system does that, and there is no need for guilds.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Interesting

There is no social aspect. Dont you get it. The whole point has been REMOVING THE SOCIAL ASPECT. Its an unwritten rule in modern MMORPG design.

Because "social aspect" is not a game. I DON'T  don't play these games to chat.

There.. fixed that for you.. lol

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

I cannot for the life of me find an MMO that is social at all. Sure you have guilds, but EVERY freaking MMO has content that is all soloable besides rading and dungeons. It's a joke. If I wanted to play a solo game I would just go out and buy an RPG and not be playing MMORPGs. Yes there are some social aspects to MMORPGs but what happened to player creativity? Am I the only who misses creating user content?

Does no one remember creating entertainment in older MMOs? No one remebers creating events with other people like creating huge armies to attack the other faction or have mount races and duel events? No one remembers the politics in older MMOs? I guess what I'm complaining about is well... The players in MMOs these days. The creativity and want to interact is gone. What the hell happened?

Oh dear an MMO is nothing about grouping why do people make this mistake, it is about playing in an environment poupualted with other players, with options.

Raiding/Auction Houses / Insta Travel/ Insta Craft / Insta EndGAme  are all element that have ruined gameplay in MMOs what a shame but this is true. You used to have to play games , die with penalties group to get accross maps. No longer, the lack of community and grouping is due to poor design nothing to do with the fact people can solo content.

What happened is that the 99% of the general population got internet access on the cheap and the general intelligence level of players plumeted to a mixed pot of illterate nobodies who have to win at all costs and win in a week......

There are great community games that can still be played .. but I would not be stupid enough to Quote them here....

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

There is no social aspect. Dont you get it. The whole point has been REMOVING THE SOCIAL ASPECT. Its an unwritten rule in modern MMORPG design.

Because "social aspect" is not a game. People don't play these games to chat.

And there we go, there's where the social aspect went.  Giev more FPS?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Because "social aspect" is not a game. People don't play these games to chat.

And there we go, there's where the social aspect went.  Giev more FPS?

No. More ARPGs like Diablo. FPS has no character permanence and progression, which is a pretty big draw. Something like Borderland 2, OTOH, i would eager wait for.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There is no lack of understanding. There is, however, the mistake of assuming one's personal playstyle is the only playstyle or correct playstyle, which is what you are doing right now. You made this very clear earlier when you stated that "social for the sake of social will not work in any context." I was hoping that by telling you that 'you are doing it wrong' you would take the next logical step to 'Are trying to say there's only one way to- oh, I get it!" But, alas, that was not the case. 

You, personally, may create characters in these virtual worlds to work with others toward goals, but not everyone does. There are many MMOs where people play to socialize and interact with others, several of which I had listed earlier for you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

There is no lack of understanding. There is, however, the mistake of assuming one's personal playstyle is the only playstyle or correct playstyle, which is what you are doing right now. You made this very clear earlier when you stated that "social for the sake of social will not work in any context." I was hoping that by telling you that 'you are doing it wrong' you would take the next logical step to 'Are trying to say there's only one way to- oh, I get it!" But, alas, that was not the case. 

You, personally, may create characters in these virtual worlds to work with others toward goals, but not everyone does. There are many MMOs where people play to socialize and interact with others, several of which I had listed earlier for you.

Social for the sake of social obviously work in a chatroom, or a 3D chat-room game like the Second Life. I won't play them but obviously it works in *some* content.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

An interesting discussion.

Yeah, I'm an old school guy from EQ, SWG and Vanguard.  But before that, I started in gaming playing board wargames.  Not the stuff that a lot of kids play in video games, recreation of historical battles.

With the death of the MMO genre, I have returned to the board game side.  What I found was pretty amazing as board games are now a much more diverse hobby than it was in the 70s. Many tastes are catered to, not just the wargamers. In addition, you don't need investors to get a board game design out there, so there are gamers/designers making games that are passionate about doing so rather than basing a given design on box sales, marketing spreadsheets and mass market appeal.  Not that that is a bad thing necessarily, it's just simply no longer diverse as that is ALL that we get now in most cases on the video side.

I'm sure many people would not care less about not being able to buy a classical recording because all that's for sale is Justin Beiber and Madonna. But I would. Sure, Rush is not mainstream or the most popular, but I can still buy thier recordings.

I lived in the day when even video games could say "designed lovingly by gamers for gamers" and it was actually true!

You want socializing and RP and gaming all at once?  Board games, my friends, board games.

Google Board Game Geek.

Leave MMOs with the younger set, half of whom couldn't tell a great game if it whacked them off the noggin. :)

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I cannot for the life of me find an MMO that is social at all. Sure you have guilds, but EVERY freaking MMO has content that is all soloable besides rading and dungeons.

So many times I have heard this claim and found it to be false.

Name any 3 MMOs where the best-in-slot gear can be obtained without requiring a group.

I have been gaming since the 70s and I have never, ever once joined an MMO for the purpose of making friends.   If I happen to find some gamers in there who seem to share my playstyle, I'm happy to add them as 'game friends'.   But they do not compare to any RL friends I have.

Finding and teaming with others should ALWAYS be optional IMO, for ALL content.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

It's in games like EVE, Mabinogi, etc. 

Most MMO's today follow the quest hub to quest hub, raid or battleground PVP endgame. Sadly, there isn't much social oppurtunities unless you go out of your way until endgame in those games.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

They should be a group of people who work together toward a common goal.  Also most organized groups use voice comms.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

You do still get a good social aspect in guilds but thats it. These days you come on here for the old gaming world social aspect.

They should be a group of people who work together toward a common goal.  Also most organized groups use voice comms.

You dont need a guild for that. A pug or lfd will do.